Problem with Money finding files after hard drive crash

My hard drive was corrupted and crashed.  I was able to preserve data files,
including the Money account file and Money backup file.  The hard drive was
replaced, and I copied the Money data files back onto the hard drive, as well
as the Money program.

When I try to set up Money again, it cannot find or connect with the data
files, despite my specifying the drive location of the files.  Is there a way
to get that to happen?

I don't know if this is part of the problem, but the description of my data
files calls them Money 2004 files.  The recovery version of Money is Money
2005, which is what I loaded.  Could that be causing the problem?  Is there a
way to address that?
0
Dan5760 (4)
3/16/2009 1:28:01 AM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

In microsoft.public.money, Dan5760 wrote:

>My hard drive was corrupted and crashed.  I was able to preserve data files,
>including the Money account file and Money backup file.  The hard drive was
>replaced, and I copied the Money data files back onto the hard drive, as well
>as the Money program.
>
>When I try to set up Money again, it cannot find or connect with the data
>files, despite my specifying the drive location of the files.  Is there a way
>to get that to happen?
>
>I don't know if this is part of the problem, but the description of my data
>files calls them Money 2004 files.  The recovery version of Money is Money
>2005, which is what I loaded.  Could that be causing the problem?  Is there a
>way to address that?

Find the sample.mny file in your install folder.  That may be
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005".  Copy sample.mny file to
your Documents folder in Vista.  Right-click the Money start icon
and select RunAsAdministrator.  Click File->Open and browse to that
sample.mny file.  Money 2005 will do an update.  Close Money.
Reboot the computer.  Then open Money and check that Help->About...
says you then have version 14.0.*.1105.

Make sure your .mny and .mbf files are in your Documents folder.
Then you should be able to File->Open or Restore your existing
files.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
3/16/2009 1:58:00 AM
Cal:

Thanks for your suggestions.  They haven't worked so far, but some more info:
- I'm running Windows XP, not Vista
- when I right click on the Money start icon, RunAsAdministrator is not an
option.
Is there a way to do this in XP?

Further background that might help:
- when I try to open the old Money files or backup files, first I get a
message saying Money needs to upgrade them to Money 2005 files.  When I click
the Next button, I get this error message:

"Money cannot locate 'filename' or cannot open it, possibly becasue it is a
read-only file or you do not have permission to change it or your disk drive
is write protected.

If you have chosen the correct file and it cannot be accessed, you will need
to click OK and open your most recent backup file.

If the file is being accessed by another application, close it in the other
application and click OK to try again."

Thanks for any further advice you can provide.

"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:

> In microsoft.public.money, Dan5760 wrote:
>
> >My hard drive was corrupted and crashed.  I was able to preserve data files,
> >including the Money account file and Money backup file.  The hard drive was
> >replaced, and I copied the Money data files back onto the hard drive, as well
> >as the Money program.
> >
> >When I try to set up Money again, it cannot find or connect with the data
> >files, despite my specifying the drive location of the files.  Is there a way
> >to get that to happen?
> >
> >I don't know if this is part of the problem, but the description of my data
> >files calls them Money 2004 files.  The recovery version of Money is Money
> >2005, which is what I loaded.  Could that be causing the problem?  Is there a
> >way to address that?
>

> Find the sample.mny file in your install folder.  That may be
> "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005".  Copy sample.mny file to
> your Documents folder in Vista.  Right-click the Money start icon
> and select RunAsAdministrator.  Click File->Open and browse to that
> sample.mny file.  Money 2005 will do an update.  Close Money.
> Reboot the computer.  Then open Money and check that Help->About...
> says you then have version 14.0.*.1105.
>
> Make sure your .mny and .mbf files are in your Documents folder.
> Then you should be able to File->Open or Restore your existing
> files.

0
Dan5760 (4)
3/17/2009 11:12:01 PM
In microsoft.public.money, Dan5760 wrote:

>Cal:
>
>Thanks for your suggestions.  They haven't worked so far, but some more info:
>- I'm running Windows XP, not Vista
>- when I right click on the Money start icon, RunAsAdministrator is not an
>option.
>Is there a way to do this in XP?

If running as an administrative user, there should not be a need to
do this with XP. Vista has a little different protection model. See
below.

>Further background that might help:
>- when I try to open the old Money files or backup files, first I get a
>message saying Money needs to upgrade them to Money 2005 files.  When I click
>the Next button, I get this error message:
>
>"Money cannot locate 'filename' or cannot open it, possibly becasue it is a
>read-only file or you do not have permission to change it or your disk drive
>is write protected.
>
>If you have chosen the correct file and it cannot be accessed, you will need
>to click OK and open your most recent backup file.
>
>If the file is being accessed by another application, close it in the other
>application and click OK to try again."

Either open the sample.mny file in your install folder, or let
Money 2005 create a new Money file, clicking Decline in the
process.  It will do an update.  Close Money.  Then open Money and
check that Help->About...  says you then have version 14.0.*.1105.

Then you should be able to open or restore your existing files.

>Thanks for any further advice you can provide.
>

>"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:
>
>> In microsoft.public.money, Dan5760 wrote:
>>
>> >My hard drive was corrupted and crashed.  I was able to preserve data files,
>> >including the Money account file and Money backup file.  The hard drive was
>> >replaced, and I copied the Money data files back onto the hard drive, as well
>> >as the Money program.
>> >
>> >When I try to set up Money again, it cannot find or connect with the data
>> >files, despite my specifying the drive location of the files.  Is there a way
>> >to get that to happen?
>> >
>> >I don't know if this is part of the problem, but the description of my data
>> >files calls them Money 2004 files.  The recovery version of Money is Money
>> >2005, which is what I loaded.  Could that be causing the problem?  Is there a
>> >way to address that?
>>

>> Find the sample.mny file in your install folder.  That may be
>> "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005".  Copy sample.mny file to
>> your Documents folder in Vista.  Right-click the Money start icon
>> and select RunAsAdministrator.  Click File->Open and browse to that
>> sample.mny file.  Money 2005 will do an update.  Close Money.
>> Reboot the computer.  Then open Money and check that Help->About...
>> says you then have version 14.0.*.1105.
>>
>> Make sure your .mny and .mbf files are in your Documents folder.
>> Then you should be able to File->Open or Restore your existing
>> files.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)

MS Money 95 data files

Money Deluxe 2006 Trial to Money Deluxe Web Download.
Purchased the "full-download" Microsoft Money Deluxe 2006 version from the trial version download. I followed all the steps to "Activate" the product with successful conclusion. However, the "Trial" nag screen continues to pop-up every time I sign onto Money 2006. To add insult to injury, when I have signed onto the Support Center, wishing to send an email to ask about this, the web-site does not recognize my "PID" (Product ID)...because it continues to believe it is the trail version....thusly only a serial number is listed. And, the SN is not r...

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Transfer Money 98 to money 2004
I currently have Money 98 and i'am purchacing a new computer with money 2004, how can i transfer my current data to new computer w/ money 2004. In microsoft.public.money, Brad Karris wrote: >I currently have Money 98 and i'am purchacing a new >computer with money 2004, how can i transfer my current >data to new computer w/ money 2004. If you have a USB flash drive on the old machine, copy your .mny file there. Then copy the file to the new machine-- usually to your "My Documents" folder. In Windows Explorer, double-left-click the file on your new machine to ...

New Disk storage

Password Issue with MS Money 2003

SQL deadlock problem

docmd.transfertext problem

Exchange update problem

Crash on 'Send"

multiple Domain name delivery problem

Trying to find out which numbers occure most often
I�m giving exams to students and want to see if the students are missin the same questions in every class. I have a simple spreadsheet tha has me enter the question number into the column each time a questio is missed. The MODE function can tell me which number is occurrin most often. However, I need to see if there is any other numbers tha are occurring often as well. Is there a command that will allow me to look at the second mos entered number? For example, if I have 5,3,3,2,3,4,3,4,1,3,4, my mod would be 3 as that�s the number that repeats the most. However, happens 3 times and that...

Find prev record on other requeried form
Using access 2003. I have a main form for name and address info. A subform shows limited info on client placement. Click a command button on the main form and user opens another form for full screen entry of placement data. That form opens showing the client selected on the initial main form. When the full screen placement form closes, it requeries the original main form with the placement subform to show the added placement. It goes to the first record in the table though. It does not show the original client whose placement was just added. How do I set the mai...

cant start outlook pst file to large

Where is the workspace file stored?

Excel Problem

SOAP Exception