Problem with Money finding files after hard drive crash

My hard drive was corrupted and crashed.  I was able to preserve data files, 
including the Money account file and Money backup file.  The hard drive was 
replaced, and I copied the Money data files back onto the hard drive, as well 
as the Money program.

When I try to set up Money again, it cannot find or connect with the data 
files, despite my specifying the drive location of the files.  Is there a way 
to get that to happen?

I don't know if this is part of the problem, but the description of my data 
files calls them Money 2004 files.  The recovery version of Money is Money 
2005, which is what I loaded.  Could that be causing the problem?  Is there a 
way to address that? 
0
Dan5760 (4)
3/16/2009 1:28:01 AM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

3 Replies
423 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 27

In microsoft.public.money, Dan5760 wrote:

>My hard drive was corrupted and crashed.  I was able to preserve data files, 
>including the Money account file and Money backup file.  The hard drive was 
>replaced, and I copied the Money data files back onto the hard drive, as well 
>as the Money program.
>
>When I try to set up Money again, it cannot find or connect with the data 
>files, despite my specifying the drive location of the files.  Is there a way 
>to get that to happen?
>
>I don't know if this is part of the problem, but the description of my data 
>files calls them Money 2004 files.  The recovery version of Money is Money 
>2005, which is what I loaded.  Could that be causing the problem?  Is there a 
>way to address that? 


Find the sample.mny file in your install folder.  That may be
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005".  Copy sample.mny file to
your Documents folder in Vista.  Right-click the Money start icon
and select RunAsAdministrator.  Click File->Open and browse to that
sample.mny file.  Money 2005 will do an update.  Close Money.
Reboot the computer.  Then open Money and check that Help->About...
says you then have version 14.0.*.1105.

Make sure your .mny and .mbf files are in your Documents folder.
Then you should be able to File->Open or Restore your existing
files.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
3/16/2009 1:58:00 AM
Cal:

Thanks for your suggestions.  They haven't worked so far, but some more info:
- I'm running Windows XP, not Vista
- when I right click on the Money start icon, RunAsAdministrator is not an 
option.
Is there a way to do this in XP?

Further background that might help:
- when I try to open the old Money files or backup files, first I get a 
message saying Money needs to upgrade them to Money 2005 files.  When I click 
the Next button, I get this error message:

"Money cannot locate 'filename' or cannot open it, possibly becasue it is a 
read-only file or you do not have permission to change it or your disk drive 
is write protected.

If you have chosen the correct file and it cannot be accessed, you will need 
to click OK and open your most recent backup file.

If the file is being accessed by another application, close it in the other 
application and click OK to try again."

Thanks for any further advice you can provide.


"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:

> In microsoft.public.money, Dan5760 wrote:
> 
> >My hard drive was corrupted and crashed.  I was able to preserve data files, 
> >including the Money account file and Money backup file.  The hard drive was 
> >replaced, and I copied the Money data files back onto the hard drive, as well 
> >as the Money program.
> >
> >When I try to set up Money again, it cannot find or connect with the data 
> >files, despite my specifying the drive location of the files.  Is there a way 
> >to get that to happen?
> >
> >I don't know if this is part of the problem, but the description of my data 
> >files calls them Money 2004 files.  The recovery version of Money is Money 
> >2005, which is what I loaded.  Could that be causing the problem?  Is there a 
> >way to address that? 
> 
> 
> Find the sample.mny file in your install folder.  That may be
> "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005".  Copy sample.mny file to
> your Documents folder in Vista.  Right-click the Money start icon
> and select RunAsAdministrator.  Click File->Open and browse to that
> sample.mny file.  Money 2005 will do an update.  Close Money.
> Reboot the computer.  Then open Money and check that Help->About...
> says you then have version 14.0.*.1105.
> 
> Make sure your .mny and .mbf files are in your Documents folder.
> Then you should be able to File->Open or Restore your existing
> files.
> 
> 
0
Dan5760 (4)
3/17/2009 11:12:01 PM
In microsoft.public.money, Dan5760 wrote:

>Cal:
>
>Thanks for your suggestions.  They haven't worked so far, but some more info:
>- I'm running Windows XP, not Vista
>- when I right click on the Money start icon, RunAsAdministrator is not an 
>option.
>Is there a way to do this in XP?

If running as an administrative user, there should not be a need to
do this with XP. Vista has a little different protection model. See
below.


>
>Further background that might help:
>- when I try to open the old Money files or backup files, first I get a 
>message saying Money needs to upgrade them to Money 2005 files.  When I click 
>the Next button, I get this error message:
>
>"Money cannot locate 'filename' or cannot open it, possibly becasue it is a 
>read-only file or you do not have permission to change it or your disk drive 
>is write protected.
>
>If you have chosen the correct file and it cannot be accessed, you will need 
>to click OK and open your most recent backup file.
>
>If the file is being accessed by another application, close it in the other 
>application and click OK to try again."

Either open the sample.mny file in your install folder, or let
Money 2005 create a new Money file, clicking Decline in the
process.  It will do an update.  Close Money.  Then open Money and
check that Help->About...  says you then have version 14.0.*.1105.

Then you should be able to open or restore your existing files.




>
>Thanks for any further advice you can provide.
>
>
>"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:
>
>> In microsoft.public.money, Dan5760 wrote:
>> 
>> >My hard drive was corrupted and crashed.  I was able to preserve data files, 
>> >including the Money account file and Money backup file.  The hard drive was 
>> >replaced, and I copied the Money data files back onto the hard drive, as well 
>> >as the Money program.
>> >
>> >When I try to set up Money again, it cannot find or connect with the data 
>> >files, despite my specifying the drive location of the files.  Is there a way 
>> >to get that to happen?
>> >
>> >I don't know if this is part of the problem, but the description of my data 
>> >files calls them Money 2004 files.  The recovery version of Money is Money 
>> >2005, which is what I loaded.  Could that be causing the problem?  Is there a 
>> >way to address that? 
>> 
>> 
>> Find the sample.mny file in your install folder.  That may be
>> "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005".  Copy sample.mny file to
>> your Documents folder in Vista.  Right-click the Money start icon
>> and select RunAsAdministrator.  Click File->Open and browse to that
>> sample.mny file.  Money 2005 will do an update.  Close Money.
>> Reboot the computer.  Then open Money and check that Help->About...
>> says you then have version 14.0.*.1105.
>> 
>> Make sure your .mny and .mbf files are in your Documents folder.
>> Then you should be able to File->Open or Restore your existing
>> files.
>> 
>> 
0
via_newsgroup (13114)
3/17/2009 11:45:29 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Money 2005 Communication Error
I recently linked a Passport account with my Money file and now I can't import my OFX files from my bank anymore. I saw some other posts related to MSN Billpay which I've never used. It looks like this is a known problem. Does anyone know of a fix? I thought the problem was my bank so I went a couple of weeks before investigating this issue; now my backup file is also corrupted. I tried the Money repair function but to no avail. In microsoft.public.money, keanton wrote: >I recently linked a Passport account with my Money file and now I can't >import my OFX files from ...

Can anyone send me the Microsoft.Crm.Platform.Proxy.dll and Microsoft.Crm.Platform.Types.dll files ?
Hi, I'm stucked without those files, and I don't have the instalation disk. Can anyone send me those files ? Thanks in advance, Eddie. You can download the program from Microsoft. http://www.microsoft.com/office/onenote/prodinfo/trial.mspx#EEAA Sorry-wrong group Eddie, email me and i will send them over -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.mscrmfaq.us "Eddie" <Eddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:epJ2yF3NFHA.3076@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I'm stucked without those files...

Bulk Import Wizard for Leads Issue
Hi, I am trying to import Lead records using a CSV file containing around 3,000 records. I have tested with around 20 records (taken from the larger file) and it imports fine but when I select the the 3,000 record file for import the wizard gives an error message somthing like (sorry don't have exact wording) 'Source Import file is corrupt'. Are there any known issues with CSV files such as the following : 1) Special characters such as an asterix not handled 2) Email and Website type fields must all be correctly formatted? 3) File is too large Thanks for your help in adva...

excel file can't be opened #2
hi,I'm cho I have a recent excel file (about 1 month),but since two days ago,the file can't be opened completely or always not responding. What should I do so that I can use this important file. Any help would be appreciated regards, cho ...

How to transpose in excel file
Hi I would like to make a transpose like this? From House Defect How much #1 Broken Sinks 1000 #1 Bad Paint 2000 #1 Bad Lighting 1000 #2 Broken Sinks 0 #2 Bad Paint 2000 #2 Bad Lighting 100 and Transpose into House Broken Sinks Bad Paint Bad Lighting #1 1000 2000 1000 #2 0 2000 100 A Pivot Table will do that and more. Set House as row field, Defect as column field and How much as data. HTH. Best wishes Harald "vilfood" <vilfood@d...

MBF file won't open...am I hosed???
In my previous computer I had a flaky hard drive. While it still worked I backed up all my important files to CD's and DVD's. Since I dutifully backed up my MNY file (to two locations) each time I used my Money 2001 I didn't think to copy my MNY file I merely copied the MBF files from those locations. Once, I had to use that an MBF file as my MNY file was corrupt and it worked flawlessly. I saw no reason why it shouldn't do so again. Plus I was in panic mode to get all the data possible from the dying HD. Now that I have a new computer I installed my copy of MM 2001 and wh...

Outlook 2003 attach File Browse Window Stops Responding
In outlook 2003 when I try to attach a file and the browse window pops open to browse for the file I want to attach the window will stop responding and I have to force quit the outlook. Any Ideas? do you have mapped network drives? how long do you wait before quitting outlook? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipsti...

Can't restor backup file, "Please insert the next backup disk.....
I have money 2005 backup file (.mbf) and my original file has gotten corrupted somehow and can't repair it (computer hung and had to be restarted). Whenever I try to restor the backup file, I get the following message, Window Title: Money Multiple Disk Backup Message: Please insert the next backup disk. (The disk containing file "".) I was backing up on a different connected single harddrive and there is only one file. The file is not in multiple pieces and on different drives. When I click OK, it doesn't do anything and cancel just stops the process. I even down...

Where do I find archived calendar infromation?
Outlook 2003/Calendar Where is the archived calendar info and how do I view it? Should be in your Archive PST file (most likely named Archive.PST) , open it using the File menu > Open > Outlook Data File "Pegleg" <Pegleg@usnavyret.mil> wrote in message news:7rv7f4dv281krpl7hghglfd6odqlmvf205@4ax.com... > Outlook 2003/Calendar > > Where is the archived calendar info and how do I view it? ...

Microsoft Money 2003
When I try to print a chart or report, I get the message "This program has caused a default, etc." and it shuts down. Can you give me some hints on how to correct this? Thanks Is this all reports or a particular one? If it's only one, try resetting the report. If that doesn't help, try it in a new file. If it does it in multiple files, you may need to try updating your printer driver or removing and reinstalling Money. "Mary J" <mjohns04@mail.win.org> wrote in message news:035001c377cc$e2e77840$a301280a@phx.gbl... > When I try to print a chart or re...

A Linking Problem
Assume I have a column of numbers, in a file named Source. (range is B2:B10). These cells are linked to a column in a file named Destination(range is E2:E10). If I add a new row 5 to the source, is there a way I can get the previously linked cells in Destination to continue to display the correct values. After adding the new row 5 in source, rows in Destination below row 5 display values from rows below (in the Source file). I hope this is not too confusing a question (I am confused). If it of importance, the linking was done using Paste Link in the Paste Special dialog. Thanks. Hi PA Yo...

Money 2004 #59
Hi!, I am facing the issue: I initially signed up in Dec trying the Microsoft Monet troal version.Now I am using Microsoft money 2004 which I purchased but the RSA has expired so though I can get into my e-mail,I cannot get to my passport Error message: ErrorMessage : The security certificate has expired and is not yet valid please help best regards, David lim ...

Something destroying Money data
My MS Money 2007 software was working fine, and then a few months ago, there were transactions missing. I went for backups, and it seemed every time I opened a MOney file there were fewer transactions--it was truly weird. Thinking a file had been accidentally deleted, I used a file recovery program and retrieved file and backup - also no data. So I just put the whole thing aside and out of mind, but tried again today and searched all partitions for mny and mbf files.. Same result, if anything fewer transactions. Is there some virus or other malware that eats Money files? I guess I can d...

Error "Money is not properly installed..."
"Please try setup again". I am getting the error above after changeing the non-system drives letters on my system (after adding a new drive). The info I found (to run money.exe with -s or to run the salvage tool) didn't help. The "-s" option runs into the same issue, salvage is reporting a badly damaged file. After hitting "ok", I get a new window with options to open, create, restore or repair a file. Restore, open and repair are all failing. Create new reports "The new file c:\t.mny" can not be created ...". I was using Money 2000. ...

Form printing problem
Hi all, I have a form that holds customer records which we have been printing out for filing. I put a print record command button at the top of the form and this has been working perfectly for at least the last four years printing on plain paper using auto selection on the printer. Recently the form record has started printing onto header paper. It doesn't matter whether I change the properties on the printer it keeps printing to headed paper and the only way round was to put plain paper into the headed paper tray. We have now a new printer in the office which has been set as my defa...

Problems creating a newsletter
I chose the form "Newsletter - email". I have created a 3 page newsletter. Now, I have NO IDEA how to send it out as an email. I do not want to send it as an attachment. I cannot figure out which "save as" format or what I need to do so that i can email this newsletter. Is there a website that goes through how to do this? Am I correct when I say that it has to be html in order for me to send it as email? That is not one of the options. Any help you give me would be greatly appreciated. I am using 2003 Publisher. I created the book "Tri-Puzzles for Genesis - I"...

Hotmail Problem Please Help
I am running Exchange 2003 Standard on a Windows 2003 Server. I also have ISA 2000 on the same box. Everything is working fine. The problem I am having is getting mail out to a hotmail address. When I send then mail, I see it sits in the Queue for less then a minute then disappears. It never makes it to the Hotmail address nor do I get any return errors back in my client indicating the mail never made it to its destination. On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 15:51:04 -0800, "Kevin Mc" <Kevin Mc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am running Exchange 2003 Standard on a Windows 200...

How do you check out a file from a link
I have received a link to an excel file stored in a SharePoint library. When I open the file the option to 'check out the file' does not appear at the top of my screen. This function does work for a word document in the same library. Please can you advise. Thanks With your browser, go to the Library where the document is located and check out from there. --rms www.rmschneider.com On 16/04/10 15:44, Tracey T wrote: > I have received a link to an excel file stored in a SharePoint library. When > I open the file the option to 'check out the fi...

Windows 7 taskbar API problems
Folks The background is that an Access MDE/ACCDE created by a developer is not conceptually the same as an Excel spreadsheet or Word document file created by the user. My Auto FE Updater utility automatically downloads any new version created by the developer from the server to the workstation as well as doing lots of other stuff such as creating shortcuts on desk tops. If this was a user created Access database file which resides in the users My Documents folder, or similar, than they are conceptually the same as a Word or Excel file. The problem is if the user right-clicks on...

problems loading excel documents
When I try to open up an excel document via my documents it says that the same document is open already how can this be stopped Tina First try the standard fix(es)......Tools>Options>General uncheck "ignore other applications" OR Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes and note the space before the / mark). You may have to enter your full path to excel.exe....in that case surround with quotes as in..... "C:\mypath\to Excel\somewhere\excel.exe" /regserver Gord Dibben XL2002 On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 09:16:14 -0800, "Tina" <TinaSCovell...

error : can't find object or library
I got this error : can't find object or library whenever i try to enter some information into a cell. can someone advise how to get raid of it? thanks Hi, Try this it may work: Most likely, the application has lost the reference to an object or type library resulting in the above error. The problem may be resolved as follows: Open the database or application. Open a module in Design view or press ALT+F11 to switch to the Visual Basic Editor. On the Tools menu, click References. Clear the check box for the type library or object library marked as "Missing:" An alter...

Outlook/Exchange 2000 connection problem
Hi, I appologize if this is not the correct newsgroup. Situation is the following. From some workstations (Win 24 Pro SP4, Outlook 2000) in the network, when I create Exchange service and click "Check Name" button i get message "The name could not be resolved. The operation Failed." This happens both when I enter Exchange server name, and IP. If I try to resolve name that does not exist, the message is "The name could not be resolved. The name could not be matched to a name in address list." Ping and nslookup work fine, OWA also. I even tried to reinstall Windows...

Rename project file
Hello, How do you rename a project file? TIA, Jacques If you're still using version 6 this program works pretty well. http://www.ucancode.net/Products/free%20product/toolbox.htm Tom "Jacques Cooper" <jcooper@jcsoftware.net> wrote in message news:eYU%23fWSSDHA.2852@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > How do you rename a project file? > > TIA, > Jacques > > ...

Re: merging a pub file into a pub document?
GbH wrote: > I'm sure I've seen this somewhere in here or a similar newsgroup. > Someone clever has written a script that will import a publisher > document into an existing/open publisher document. > Please can somebody point me at it. > > -- Also why did my post seem to disappear off the server before I could read it? -- -- Wisdom and experience come with age, they say, but I wish I could remember the darn question Both of your posts show -- Don Vancouver, USA up here. "GbH" <Geoff_Hannington@IEE.ORGasm> wrote in message news:u7JmyS0d...

how to convert word file into excel file
If any body know about how to convert MS Word file into MS Excel file please let me know. I am unable to do so. Help me Rizwan Wrote: > If any body know about how to convert MS Word file into MS Excel file > please > let me know. > I am unable to do so. > > Help me Hi Rizwan Try Copy and Paste -- Paul Sheppard ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24783 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=467752 Dear Pau...