Problem Changing an Investment Name

I am trying to change an investment name and Money 2006 tells me "The name
or symbol 'TRP Spectrum Income' has already been used for a deleted
investment.  Please enter a different name."  When I go to delete
investments the name does not appear!  Any ideas on how I get Money to
accept the name change?  This is the first time I have run into this
situation and I have made numerous name changes in Money over the years.

0
krlorenz (43)
5/25/2006 12:14:14 PM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

In microsoft.public.money, Ken wrote:

>I am trying to change an investment name and Money 2006 tells me "The name
>or symbol 'TRP Spectrum Income' has already been used for a deleted
>investment.  Please enter a different name."  When I go to delete
>investments the name does not appear!  Any ideas on how I get Money to
>accept the name change?  This is the first time I have run into this
>situation and I have made numerous name changes in Money over the years.

Enter a fake Dividend transaction for the investment you "deleted".
Money will ask if you want to un-delete that investment. You do.

You can then delete the fake Dividend transaction.

Then either use that un-deleted investment, or blank its symbol. If
you may want to use that same name later, rename the investment to
something like zzzz1. Only then feel free to "delete" the
transaction.

Once you have blanked the symbol of the first investment, you can
re-use that symbol for a different investment.

0
NoMailTnx (131)
5/25/2006 12:31:22 PM
I assume what it's saying, "The name or symbol 'TRP Spectrum Income' has
already been used for a deleted investment.  Please enter a different name",
is true.

Bring the investment back from the twilight zone of Money Investment
deletion by entering a dividend for it in some investment account. You can
just type out the name 'TRP Spectrum Income' or use the symbol you once
defined for it.

Now it will show up in Work With Investments.

Change its name to something obscure like 'ZZZ deleted #1' and blank out its
symbol.

Delete the bogus dividend.

"Delete" the investment--though an Investment in Money is never truly
deleted, as you have just discovered.

Get on with life.

"Ken" <krlorenz@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I am trying to change an investment name and Money 2006 tells me "The name
>or symbol 'TRP Spectrum Income' has already been used for a deleted
>investment.  Please enter a different name."  When I go to delete
>investments the name does not appear!  Any ideas on how I get Money to
>accept the name change?  This is the first time I have run into this
>situation and I have made numerous name changes in Money over the years.

I guess I'm a little slow.  The investment I'm trying to make a name change
is active or at least the stock symbol with the name "TRP Spectrum" is
active and I post stuff to this investment every month.  All I was trying to
do was make the name "TRP Spectrum Income".  I cannot post a fake dividend
transaction to "TRP Spectrum Income" because I don't think it ever existed!
What am I missing?

"Cal Learner" <NoMailTnx@please.com> wrote in message
> In microsoft.public.money, Ken wrote:
>
>>I am trying to change an investment name and Money 2006 tells me "The name
>>or symbol 'TRP Spectrum Income' has already been used for a deleted
>>investment.  Please enter a different name."  When I go to delete
>>investments the name does not appear!  Any ideas on how I get Money to
>>accept the name change?  This is the first time I have run into this
>>situation and I have made numerous name changes in Money over the years.
>
> Enter a fake Dividend transaction for the investment you "deleted".
> Money will ask if you want to un-delete that investment. You do.
>
> You can then delete the fake Dividend transaction.
>
> Then either use that un-deleted investment, or blank its symbol. If
> you may want to use that same name later, rename the investment to
> something like zzzz1. Only then feel free to "delete" the
> transaction.
>
> Once you have blanked the symbol of the first investment, you can
> re-use that symbol for a different investment.

0
krlorenz (43)
5/25/2006 6:09:03 PM
In microsoft.public.money, Ken wrote:

>I guess I'm a little slow.  The investment I'm trying to make a name change
>is active or at least the stock symbol with the name "TRP Spectrum" is
>active and I post stuff to this investment every month.  All I was trying to
>do was make the name "TRP Spectrum Income".  I cannot post a fake dividend
>transaction to "TRP Spectrum Income" because I don't think it ever existed!

Pretend it did, and try to create that fake dividend using the
drop-down list to select the security.

>What am I missing?

OK. I was thinking you were trying to create a new investment . So
the symbol on the existing investment that you know about is OK
already, and you just want to change the name of the investment. Try
the fake dividend thing.

>"Cal Learner" <NoMailTnx@please.com> wrote in message
>> In microsoft.public.money, Ken wrote:
>>
>>>I am trying to change an investment name and Money 2006 tells me "The name
>>>or symbol 'TRP Spectrum Income' has already been used for a deleted
>>>investment.  Please enter a different name."  When I go to delete
>>>investments the name does not appear!  Any ideas on how I get Money to
>>>accept the name change?  This is the first time I have run into this
>>>situation and I have made numerous name changes in Money over the years.
>>
>> Enter a fake Dividend transaction for the investment you "deleted".
>> Money will ask if you want to un-delete that investment. You do.
>>
>> You can then delete the fake Dividend transaction.
>>
>> Then either use that un-deleted investment, or blank its symbol. If
>> you may want to use that same name later, rename the investment to
>> something like zzzz1. Only then feel free to "delete" the
>> transaction.
>>
>> Once you have blanked the symbol of the first investment, you can
>> re-use that symbol for a different investment.

0
NoMailTnx (131)
5/25/2006 6:17:30 PM
I'm missing something.

Are you trying to create a new investment called "TRP Spectrum Income" that
is in addition to one you already have, with a different symbol, named "TRP
Spectrum"?

I thought you were trying to change the name of an Investment--and were
running into the name of another Investment that existed at one time--not
create a new one.

> I guess I'm a little slow.  The investment I'm trying to make a name
change
> is active or at least the stock symbol with the name "TRP Spectrum" is
> active and I post stuff to this investment every month.  All I was trying
> do was make the name "TRP Spectrum Income".  I cannot post a fake dividend
> transaction to "TRP Spectrum Income" because I don't think it ever
existed!
> What am I missing?

The investment "TRP Spectrum Income" does not show up in the drop down list
of investments when I try to enter a dividend.  If I type "TRP Spectrum
Income" in the name Money tries to create a new investment!!  Obviously,
this won't work because it will have the same symbol as the investment I'm
trying to rename!!!  It's a minor problem but.... it sure ain't right.  I
renamed the investment to "TRP Spectrum Inc" and gave into the Money gods.
I guess one of these days I'll have to start a new Money file since I have
been using this one since Money first came out and there must be some
baggage it can't handle?!

> In microsoft.public.money, Ken wrote:
>
>>I guess I'm a little slow.  The investment I'm trying to make a name
>>change
>>is active or at least the stock symbol with the name "TRP Spectrum" is
>>active and I post stuff to this investment every month.  All I was trying
>>do was make the name "TRP Spectrum Income".  I cannot post a fake dividend
>>transaction to "TRP Spectrum Income" because I don't think it ever
>>existed!
>
> Pretend it did, and try to create that fake dividend using the
> drop-down list to select the security.
>
>>What am I missing?
>
> OK. I was thinking you were trying to create a new investment . So
> the symbol on the existing investment that you know about is OK
> already, and you just want to change the name of the investment. Try
> the fake dividend thing.
>

>>"Cal Learner" <NoMailTnx@please.com> wrote in message

>>> Enter a fake Dividend transaction for the investment you "deleted".
>>> Money will ask if you want to un-delete that investment. You do.
>>>
>>> You can then delete the fake Dividend transaction.
>>>
>>> Then either use that un-deleted investment, or blank its symbol. If
>>> you may want to use that same name later, rename the investment to
>>> something like zzzz1. Only then feel free to "delete" the
>>> transaction.
>>>
>>> Once you have blanked the symbol of the first investment, you can
>>> re-use that symbol for a different investment.

0
krlorenz (43)
5/25/2006 10:14:29 PM
I am just trying to change the name of an existing Investment.  When I try
to enter a dividend "TRP Spectrum" does not appear in the investment drop
down list - so I can't bring it back to life to delete.  See my response
above to Cal Learner.

message news:OIjExcEgGHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> I'm missing something.
>
> Are you trying to create a new investment called "TRP Spectrum Income"
> that
> is in addition to one you already have, with a different symbol, named
> "TRP
> Spectrum"?
>
> I thought you were trying to change the name of an Investment--and were
> running into the name of another Investment that existed at one time--not
> create a new one.
>
> "Ken" <krlorenz@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I guess I'm a little slow.  The investment I'm trying to make a name
> change
>> is active or at least the stock symbol with the name "TRP Spectrum" is
>> active and I post stuff to this investment every month.  All I was trying
>> do was make the name "TRP Spectrum Income".  I cannot post a fake
>> dividend
>> transaction to "TRP Spectrum Income" because I don't think it ever
> existed!
>> What am I missing?

0
krlorenz (43)
5/26/2006 9:59:26 AM
I've come full circle.

You were trying to change the name of an Investment "TRP Spectrum" to "TRP
Spectrum Income".

I had previously understood you to say that Money wasn't letting you do this
because it says that it already knows about an Investment named "TRP
Spectrum Income".

You said you "cannot post a fake dividend transaction to "TRP Spectrum
Income" because [you] don't think it ever existed!" I would think this was
an assertion that Money was trying to disprove, until you also said that
when you type this name in for an Investment, Money comes up with the dialog
to create a new investment. I would agree this is odd.

What I would try, in a COPY of the data file, is to go ahead and create the
"new" (but can't be renamed to) Investment "TRP Spectrum Income". Once
created, I'd rename it to something "out of the way" as posted previously.
Then I'd try renaming "TRP Spectrum" to "TRP Spectrum Income".

> I am just trying to change the name of an existing Investment.  When I try
> to enter a dividend "TRP Spectrum" does not appear in the investment drop
> down list - so I can't bring it back to life to delete.  See my response
> above to Cal Learner.

If anybody cares.... I was able to "fix" the problem by:
1.  Add a new investment with the name "TRP Spectrum Income".
2.  Give it a Stock Symbol of "XXXXX"
3.  Buy "0" shares of XXXXX
3.  Add a $10 Dividend
4.  Change the name to "TRP Spectrum XXXXX"
5.  Delete the Dividend
6.  Delete the Buy entry
7.  Delete the Investment "TRP Spectrum XXXXX"
8.  Change the Name of the active investment to "TRP Spectrum Income"
9.  Success!!  Problem solved?
Maybe that is what you were telling me to do all along and I just did not
understand the directions.  Anyway thanks all.

"Cal Learner" <NoMailTnx@please.com> wrote in message
> In microsoft.public.money, Ken wrote:
>
>>I am trying to change an investment name and Money 2006 tells me "The name
>>or symbol 'TRP Spectrum Income' has already been used for a deleted
>>investment.  Please enter a different name."  When I go to delete
>>investments the name does not appear!  Any ideas on how I get Money to
>>accept the name change?  This is the first time I have run into this
>>situation and I have made numerous name changes in Money over the years.
>
> Enter a fake Dividend transaction for the investment you "deleted".
> Money will ask if you want to un-delete that investment. You do.
>
> You can then delete the fake Dividend transaction.
>
> Then either use that un-deleted investment, or blank its symbol. If
> you may want to use that same name later, rename the investment to
> something like zzzz1. Only then feel free to "delete" the
> transaction.
>
> Once you have blanked the symbol of the first investment, you can
> re-use that symbol for a different investment.

0
krlorenz (43)
5/27/2006 11:35:08 AM
More or less. The odd thing about your case is Money thinking the name has
already been used for the case of renaming an existing investment but not
for the case of creating a new investment.

> Maybe that is what you were telling me to do all along and I just did not
> understand the directions.

Comments problem
I've created a number of comments. When I position the comments where I want them, they only reflect their positions on "Show" or "Edit" comment. All the comments default to the same relationship to the cells when you pass over them. This is a problem because I've also used data vaildation (with lists) on these cells and you can't display the comment with the list pulled down at the same time because the comments are tool close to the validated cell. Thanks in adavance. The comment usually appears to the right of the cell, and should still allow you to see t...

VBA Help problem
I'm using Office 2003 SP3 on Win 2000 SP4. When I use VBA help, if thee are hyperlinks on the page I get a popup with the following error: "Runtime error has occurred" Line 16: Error: not implemented If I choose debug from this dialog box I am taken to a script and another error popup: "htmlfile: Not implemented" there is a yellow arrow at the line: "document.onclick = window.parent.closeList" Am I missing a reference somewhere in VBA or is this a more serious problem? The Windows 2000 install has been around a long time... I've ...

Printing problem from Excel 2007

Excel Mail Merger Problem
When merging excel with word for..my currrency field is dropping off zeros to the right of decimal point..if field has $ 56.03, it imports correctly, but if it is $56.00, it comes in as $56, if it is $56.30, it comes in as $56.3...this process is for invoices..any advice (I've tried everything)? Debra Dalgleish has given the following reply in newsgroups http://google.com/groups?threadm=3EBB0685.5080002%40contextures.com and has also identified the following MS KB articles in such as : http://google.com/groups?threadm=3DFA8DA8.6000209%40contextures.com 304387 - WD: Date, Phone N...

Changing which database Business Portal points to
If I install Business Portal 2.5 (GP) and point it to our Great Plains development server with an old Dynamics database, once we decide to take it live, how do I go back and point it to the live Great Plains server? Is this something that can only be done during the installation? Let me preface my response by saying I only have experience with BP 3.0.... In BP 3.0 several tables are created in the Dynamics database to support the various BP functions. Unless you plan to move or copy those tables you will probably have to reinstall BP 2.5 in order to have them created. Our attempt to cop...

synchronising problem with Sony NWZ-S545
Up until recently i could sync tracks/albums etc to my sony S545 MP3. now when i try and drag tracks to the sync folder then click start sync the mp3 player just freezes, WMP states "processing" but nothing happens. Have searched the web for a solution but nothing. done sysem restore etc etc. I guess it must be a recent update but what one? Its a pain in the backside and hope someone can help "Wookywoo" wrote: > Up until recently i could sync tracks/albums etc to my sony S545 MP3. now > when i try and drag tracks to the sync folder then click s...

Problem hot synching Outlook 2002 with Palm Pilot
I recently had to reformat my c: drive and reinstall Windows XP and Office XP, including Outlook 2002. Since then, whenever I hot synch my Palm Pilot with Outlook, the hot synch is interrupted with a dialog saying "This action cannot be completed because the 'Inbox Microsoft Outlook' program is not responding. Choose 'Switch to" and connect the problem." When I press the 'Switch to" button, I get a second dialog, which says, "Microsoft Outlook - A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this? ...

code problem
Hi this is a follow on to a previous thread (Copy Macro) We are now successfully creating a new Workbook using the code below. With ActiveWorkbook FName = .Path & "\code.txt" .VBProject.VBComponents("Module2_sort").Export FName End With ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(Array("Supplier Concerns")).Copy ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:="c:\Week\testing" & strFileName & ".xls" ActiveWorkbook.VBProject.VBComponents.Import FName Problem is when we open the new Workbook and run the macro the code defaults ba...

I am converting lotus123 files to excel2002. One problem is that in lotus, literals are ignored when found in a cell within a formula. Excel on the other hand is not doing this and therefore causing #value errors on all the formulas where this occurs. Is there a way to handle this in excel other than manually having to change all the formulas? ...

What does #REF! mean in the Name Manager
I have a 2007 workbook with 6-7 sheets. I made some changes to cell names and apparently made some mistakes. When I open the Name Manager, the last entry looks like this: Name Value Refers to Scope Comments x #REF! =#REF!$C$25 Workbook I cannot find that name anywhere. I have looked in C25 on every sheet. What does this mean? >Name Value Refers to Scope Comments > x #REF! =#REF!$C$25 Workbook #REF! means it's an invalid reference. Did you delete a sheet? If so, that's probably why you're getting those. -- Biff Micro...

Changing Titles by a formula
From cell A1:A10 I have standard titles that are linked to another sheet. I only need to change the office and date per each title. Is thier a way to do that making the office and date a formula in another cell? example of title ABC Comp, Office 38L Sales as of 6/07/2004 I need to only keep changeing the 38L and date. Any suggestions----Thanks Say Office # is in Column 'C' in cell A1: ="ABC Comp, Office "&C1&" Sales as of "&Today() ----- Heather wrote: ----- From cell A1:A10 I have standard titles that are linked to ...

save as problem
I cant save my excel file The "save as" option is not eviable. Whats happening? "From a prior post by Ron DeBruin, You can reset your menubar to default. Right click menubar. Customize > Toolbars Tab. Select worksheet menubar. Click Reset button. Using VBA Application : CommandBars(""Worksheet menu bar"").Controls(""File"").Reset Or the whole menubar Application.CommandBars(1).Reset You lost the things you add to the menubar!!" ========================================================== And one link that offers some sugges...

Odd problem with worksheets when opening file
Okay, here's the odd problem that's come up. When you double click on a excel file, excel opens up, but you can onl see the toolbars. The grid area looks like a snapshot of whatever you current background is before the file opened up. If you were showin your desktop, after the excel file opened, you'd still see your deskto in the datagrid area. If you start up a new excel file, then do the File>Open>file name, th file will open correctly. This problem happens across users here. Everyone is currently runnin office 2K. Any ideas on what causes the problem and any...

How do insert name automatically atop of each pg of doc?
Hello, How do I automatically insert name on each page of document like inserting page numbers? My professor told me not to type it in but to insert and I have not been able to do so. This is a new program for me, Word 2007. I have to submit my paper in MLA form and do not wish to lose points because for this. Thanks for your help. Click on the Insert tab of the Ribbon and then in the Header and Footer section, click on Header and make your choice from the options presented or click on the Edit Header button to get a blank header pane in which to insert the name in the...

can't change/delete bills and deposits
suddenly one day i realized that when i tried to change a bill, i could click "ok" but nothing would happen. I thought it was because i upgraded to 2004, so i deleted the bills and rescheduled. about 5 of the bills will not delete either. the error message is: "Money could not write to your Money file. The operation could not be performed or another application finished this task before you. Please try again." Now some of the newly scheduled bills will not allow me to change the properties, i click ok but nothing happens when i edit the series. I have repaired ...

Outlook 2007: When i Save a New Rule outlook Change it automatically...
Hi people! I have this problem with Outlook 2007. I have 15 e-mails addresses in my outlook, but i can=B4t create the rules for send all the received mails to each emails folder. Example: I want to create a simple rule that move all the e-mail that i get from "example1@example1.com" to the folder "Inbox/ example1@example1.com". When i create the rule, all works fine, i select the correct e-mail account name, the correct destination folder, etc... but when I hit the SAVE button in rules window, Outlook 2007 changes the account automatically to another one. Not automatically...

Change Row/Column Height & Width
I know I should be able to automatically set a row height to the max necessary by hovering the cursor between the 2 rows I want to adjust and double-clicking, but sometimes this doesn't always work. Why is that that - do I need to adjust a setting? And is there any way to set it so that if text is added or deleted the row height would change automatically so thatthe text fit appropriately? Set the row format to Autofit and cells to Wrap Text Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 19 May 2009 12:14:04 -0700, DaveL <DaveL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I know I should be ...

Changing Functional Currency #4
Try to change the functional currency to Z-CNY. ERROR = Activity for this currency already exist. Finance made 2 GL transactions. Can we remove the transactions (Tools >> Utilities >> Financial >> Remove History) or (File >> Maintenance >> Clear Data ) then change the functional currency? Which tables should I remove history or clear data. Can someone on the board help us? regards, Once you process a transaction, you are stuck with the functional currency. I have not seen a table fix for this problem on the board. Consider creating a new database an...

Sumproduct Problem (AB)
Hi everyone, can you please sort out this problem for me? SUMPRODUCT(('Client Opening Stock'!B2:B138=$A$1)*('Client Opening Stock'!C2:AH138=A7),'Client Opening Stock'!C2:X138) 'Client Opening Stock'!B2:B138 is the Client Name Client Opening Stock'!C2:AH138 is the Product 'Client Opening Stock'!C2:X138 is the Amount I belive the formula is not the proper formula, but this is the result I need. Thank you for your kind help You need to tell us what the problem is, and what solution you want. Why is it "not the proper formula...

Query Problem in Test.
I keep getting errors on the WHERE part of my query. I'm sure it's something simple. I don't know if you will need the whole code to see what the problem is. It is lengthy, so I will start with just where the problem is. Set rs = DBEngine(0)(0).OpenRecordset("SELECT T2.Distance, T1.* FROM (Church AS T1 INNER JOIN qryChurchZip1 ON T1.ChurchID = qryChurchZip1.ChurchID) INNER JOIN DistanceQuery AS T2 ON qryChurchZip1.Zip5 = T2.ZIPCode WHERE " & strWhere) ' See if found none If rs.RecordCount = 0 Then MsgBox "No Churches meet your crite...

Change default "SaveAs" to *.msg rather than *.html
Hi!, Using Outlook 03, I regularly need to save emails and prefer to save as *.msg so the attachments are contained within the one file. How can you change the default SaveAs command to Save as Type in a *.msg format (rather than *.html) so the type is already *.msg without having to use the pull down? Thank you Troy Outlook provides no way to change that. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "TroyB" <boeky72@hotmail.com>...

Problem OL 2002 Email
I am having a problem with OL 2002 email settings. I have two computers which I am setting up. One computer works perfectly. The second computer I have configured exactly the same...incoming/outgoing servers and ports, etc... are all setup the same. On the second computer when I press test email settings, everything tests fine. But when I try to do a Send/Receive, I run into problems. First, the POP3 tries to connect to the POP3 server twice at the same time. (I am able to see this on my POP3 server console.) Second, the SMTP sending mail never connects to my SMTP server. (Ag...