Problem Changing an Investment Name

I am trying to change an investment name and Money 2006 tells me "The name
or symbol 'TRP Spectrum Income' has already been used for a deleted
investment.  Please enter a different name."  When I go to delete
investments the name does not appear!  Any ideas on how I get Money to
accept the name change?  This is the first time I have run into this
situation and I have made numerous name changes in Money over the years.

0
krlorenz (43)
5/25/2006 12:14:14 PM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

In microsoft.public.money, Ken wrote:

>I am trying to change an investment name and Money 2006 tells me "The name
>or symbol 'TRP Spectrum Income' has already been used for a deleted
>investment.  Please enter a different name."  When I go to delete
>investments the name does not appear!  Any ideas on how I get Money to
>accept the name change?  This is the first time I have run into this
>situation and I have made numerous name changes in Money over the years.

Enter a fake Dividend transaction for the investment you "deleted".
Money will ask if you want to un-delete that investment. You do.

You can then delete the fake Dividend transaction.

Then either use that un-deleted investment, or blank its symbol. If
you may want to use that same name later, rename the investment to
something like zzzz1. Only then feel free to "delete" the
transaction.

Once you have blanked the symbol of the first investment, you can
re-use that symbol for a different investment.

0
NoMailTnx (131)
5/25/2006 12:31:22 PM
I assume what it's saying, "The name or symbol 'TRP Spectrum Income' has
already been used for a deleted investment.  Please enter a different name",
is true.

Bring the investment back from the twilight zone of Money Investment
deletion by entering a dividend for it in some investment account. You can
just type out the name 'TRP Spectrum Income' or use the symbol you once
defined for it.

Now it will show up in Work With Investments.

Change its name to something obscure like 'ZZZ deleted #1' and blank out its
symbol.

Delete the bogus dividend.

"Delete" the investment--though an Investment in Money is never truly
deleted, as you have just discovered.

Get on with life.

"Ken" <krlorenz@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I am trying to change an investment name and Money 2006 tells me "The name
>or symbol 'TRP Spectrum Income' has already been used for a deleted
>investment.  Please enter a different name."  When I go to delete
>investments the name does not appear!  Any ideas on how I get Money to
>accept the name change?  This is the first time I have run into this
>situation and I have made numerous name changes in Money over the years.

I guess I'm a little slow.  The investment I'm trying to make a name change
is active or at least the stock symbol with the name "TRP Spectrum" is
active and I post stuff to this investment every month.  All I was trying to
do was make the name "TRP Spectrum Income".  I cannot post a fake dividend
transaction to "TRP Spectrum Income" because I don't think it ever existed!
What am I missing?

"Cal Learner" <NoMailTnx@please.com> wrote in message
> In microsoft.public.money, Ken wrote:
>
>>I am trying to change an investment name and Money 2006 tells me "The name
>>or symbol 'TRP Spectrum Income' has already been used for a deleted
>>investment.  Please enter a different name."  When I go to delete
>>investments the name does not appear!  Any ideas on how I get Money to
>>accept the name change?  This is the first time I have run into this
>>situation and I have made numerous name changes in Money over the years.
>
> Enter a fake Dividend transaction for the investment you "deleted".
> Money will ask if you want to un-delete that investment. You do.
>
> You can then delete the fake Dividend transaction.
>
> Then either use that un-deleted investment, or blank its symbol. If
> you may want to use that same name later, rename the investment to
> something like zzzz1. Only then feel free to "delete" the
> transaction.
>
> Once you have blanked the symbol of the first investment, you can
> re-use that symbol for a different investment.

0
krlorenz (43)
5/25/2006 6:09:03 PM
In microsoft.public.money, Ken wrote:

>I guess I'm a little slow.  The investment I'm trying to make a name change
>is active or at least the stock symbol with the name "TRP Spectrum" is
>active and I post stuff to this investment every month.  All I was trying to
>do was make the name "TRP Spectrum Income".  I cannot post a fake dividend
>transaction to "TRP Spectrum Income" because I don't think it ever existed!

Pretend it did, and try to create that fake dividend using the
drop-down list to select the security.

>What am I missing?

OK. I was thinking you were trying to create a new investment . So
the symbol on the existing investment that you know about is OK
already, and you just want to change the name of the investment. Try
the fake dividend thing.

>"Cal Learner" <NoMailTnx@please.com> wrote in message
>> In microsoft.public.money, Ken wrote:
>>
>>>I am trying to change an investment name and Money 2006 tells me "The name
>>>or symbol 'TRP Spectrum Income' has already been used for a deleted
>>>investment.  Please enter a different name."  When I go to delete
>>>investments the name does not appear!  Any ideas on how I get Money to
>>>accept the name change?  This is the first time I have run into this
>>>situation and I have made numerous name changes in Money over the years.
>>
>> Enter a fake Dividend transaction for the investment you "deleted".
>> Money will ask if you want to un-delete that investment. You do.
>>
>> You can then delete the fake Dividend transaction.
>>
>> Then either use that un-deleted investment, or blank its symbol. If
>> you may want to use that same name later, rename the investment to
>> something like zzzz1. Only then feel free to "delete" the
>> transaction.
>>
>> Once you have blanked the symbol of the first investment, you can
>> re-use that symbol for a different investment.

0
NoMailTnx (131)
5/25/2006 6:17:30 PM
I'm missing something.

Are you trying to create a new investment called "TRP Spectrum Income" that
is in addition to one you already have, with a different symbol, named "TRP
Spectrum"?

I thought you were trying to change the name of an Investment--and were
running into the name of another Investment that existed at one time--not
create a new one.

> I guess I'm a little slow.  The investment I'm trying to make a name
change
> is active or at least the stock symbol with the name "TRP Spectrum" is
> active and I post stuff to this investment every month.  All I was trying
> do was make the name "TRP Spectrum Income".  I cannot post a fake dividend
> transaction to "TRP Spectrum Income" because I don't think it ever
existed!
> What am I missing?

The investment "TRP Spectrum Income" does not show up in the drop down list
of investments when I try to enter a dividend.  If I type "TRP Spectrum
Income" in the name Money tries to create a new investment!!  Obviously,
this won't work because it will have the same symbol as the investment I'm
trying to rename!!!  It's a minor problem but.... it sure ain't right.  I
renamed the investment to "TRP Spectrum Inc" and gave into the Money gods.
I guess one of these days I'll have to start a new Money file since I have
been using this one since Money first came out and there must be some
baggage it can't handle?!

> In microsoft.public.money, Ken wrote:
>
>>I guess I'm a little slow.  The investment I'm trying to make a name
>>change
>>is active or at least the stock symbol with the name "TRP Spectrum" is
>>active and I post stuff to this investment every month.  All I was trying
>>do was make the name "TRP Spectrum Income".  I cannot post a fake dividend
>>transaction to "TRP Spectrum Income" because I don't think it ever
>>existed!
>
> Pretend it did, and try to create that fake dividend using the
> drop-down list to select the security.
>
>>What am I missing?
>
> OK. I was thinking you were trying to create a new investment . So
> the symbol on the existing investment that you know about is OK
> already, and you just want to change the name of the investment. Try
> the fake dividend thing.
>

>>"Cal Learner" <NoMailTnx@please.com> wrote in message

>>> Enter a fake Dividend transaction for the investment you "deleted".
>>> Money will ask if you want to un-delete that investment. You do.
>>>
>>> You can then delete the fake Dividend transaction.
>>>
>>> Then either use that un-deleted investment, or blank its symbol. If
>>> you may want to use that same name later, rename the investment to
>>> something like zzzz1. Only then feel free to "delete" the
>>> transaction.
>>>
>>> Once you have blanked the symbol of the first investment, you can
>>> re-use that symbol for a different investment.

0
krlorenz (43)
5/25/2006 10:14:29 PM
I am just trying to change the name of an existing Investment.  When I try
to enter a dividend "TRP Spectrum" does not appear in the investment drop
down list - so I can't bring it back to life to delete.  See my response
above to Cal Learner.

message news:OIjExcEgGHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> I'm missing something.
>
> Are you trying to create a new investment called "TRP Spectrum Income"
> that
> is in addition to one you already have, with a different symbol, named
> "TRP
> Spectrum"?
>
> I thought you were trying to change the name of an Investment--and were
> running into the name of another Investment that existed at one time--not
> create a new one.
>
> "Ken" <krlorenz@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I guess I'm a little slow.  The investment I'm trying to make a name
> change
>> is active or at least the stock symbol with the name "TRP Spectrum" is
>> active and I post stuff to this investment every month.  All I was trying
>> do was make the name "TRP Spectrum Income".  I cannot post a fake
>> dividend
>> transaction to "TRP Spectrum Income" because I don't think it ever
> existed!
>> What am I missing?

0
krlorenz (43)
5/26/2006 9:59:26 AM
I've come full circle.

You were trying to change the name of an Investment "TRP Spectrum" to "TRP
Spectrum Income".

I had previously understood you to say that Money wasn't letting you do this
because it says that it already knows about an Investment named "TRP
Spectrum Income".

You said you "cannot post a fake dividend transaction to "TRP Spectrum
Income" because [you] don't think it ever existed!" I would think this was
an assertion that Money was trying to disprove, until you also said that
when you type this name in for an Investment, Money comes up with the dialog
to create a new investment. I would agree this is odd.

What I would try, in a COPY of the data file, is to go ahead and create the
"new" (but can't be renamed to) Investment "TRP Spectrum Income". Once
created, I'd rename it to something "out of the way" as posted previously.
Then I'd try renaming "TRP Spectrum" to "TRP Spectrum Income".

> I am just trying to change the name of an existing Investment.  When I try
> to enter a dividend "TRP Spectrum" does not appear in the investment drop
> down list - so I can't bring it back to life to delete.  See my response
> above to Cal Learner.

If anybody cares.... I was able to "fix" the problem by:
1.  Add a new investment with the name "TRP Spectrum Income".
2.  Give it a Stock Symbol of "XXXXX"
3.  Buy "0" shares of XXXXX
3.  Add a $10 Dividend
4.  Change the name to "TRP Spectrum XXXXX"
5.  Delete the Dividend
6.  Delete the Buy entry
7.  Delete the Investment "TRP Spectrum XXXXX"
8.  Change the Name of the active investment to "TRP Spectrum Income"
9.  Success!!  Problem solved?
Maybe that is what you were telling me to do all along and I just did not
understand the directions.  Anyway thanks all.

"Cal Learner" <NoMailTnx@please.com> wrote in message
> In microsoft.public.money, Ken wrote:
>
>>I am trying to change an investment name and Money 2006 tells me "The name
>>or symbol 'TRP Spectrum Income' has already been used for a deleted
>>investment.  Please enter a different name."  When I go to delete
>>investments the name does not appear!  Any ideas on how I get Money to
>>accept the name change?  This is the first time I have run into this
>>situation and I have made numerous name changes in Money over the years.
>
> Enter a fake Dividend transaction for the investment you "deleted".
> Money will ask if you want to un-delete that investment. You do.
>
> You can then delete the fake Dividend transaction.
>
> Then either use that un-deleted investment, or blank its symbol. If
> you may want to use that same name later, rename the investment to
> something like zzzz1. Only then feel free to "delete" the
> transaction.
>
> Once you have blanked the symbol of the first investment, you can
> re-use that symbol for a different investment.

0
krlorenz (43)
5/27/2006 11:35:08 AM
More or less. The odd thing about your case is Money thinking the name has
already been used for the case of renaming an existing investment but not
for the case of creating a new investment.

> Maybe that is what you were telling me to do all along and I just did not
> understand the directions.

Signature problem #4
I have have Outlook 2000. I�ve had one account only. Now that I�ve added more has created a proble. If I reply to message connected to account A I get signature B. If correct that (having reply open) in options > general email settings etc and change "Show new page with this signature" to A then next time I replay to account B message I get A signature? Is there a way to assigne a signature spesifically to a account? Thanks Kalevi I think that feature was added in later versions of Outlook "Kalevi" <kale@woodworld.fi> wrote in message news:fe2blo$1jj$1@...

Forced Password Change
Is their any way to force a Dynamics GP user (v9 or v10) to change their password when you are NOT using SQL 2005? Thanks! ~MAC Hi Mac, There is a third party product available call OMNI Tools. This product is available from Rocton Software. Please find the link attached to their website. http://www.rocktonsoftware.com Thanks Don Craig "MAC" wrote: > Is their any way to force a Dynamics GP user (v9 or v10) to change their > password when you are NOT using SQL 2005? > > Thanks! > > ~MAC ...

Forward misspelled names to user account if doman is correct.
Is it possible to catch for instance a misspelled name like moike@domain.com that should be mike@domain.com and forward it to another account? It should be able to pick up anything (like *@domain.com) and forward it to joe@domain.com. Thanks in advance. Mike Are you really sure that you want to do this? If so, you can take a look at the methods listed here. http://hellomate.typepad.com/exchange/2003/08/exchange_catcha.html -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne "pakitloss" <pakitloss@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:24DB863D-49F5-457A-BA47-B7D26F422...

Queue message problem
Hello, We have a Ex2k/Win2k advanced member server that had some serious problems starting Sat. morning. SMTP, POP, IMAP, www, MS Route Engine all stopped and seemed to start back up and then stop again at various intervals, eventually just stopping completely rendering the mail down. A reboot had the same problems occur. When I removed the messages that were in the queue(c:\exchsrvr\mailroot\vsi 1\queue) and then manually started the services all was well. I would like to copy back some of those messages into the queue to see if they process or cause the same problem again. Once I copy ...

need registration name and key for reinstall
I purchased Money 2007 Premium in August, 2006, via Digital River download and I also ordered a backup CD. Everything worked fine until my computer died. Now I am trying to install Money on a new computer using the same backup CD. But it pops up a window entitled "Key Expired". It appears that I need a "registration name and key", "exactly as given to you". Perhaps I did receive this information before but it would now be lost on my dead computer. Is there a way to retrieve the requisite magic cookies from someone's web site? And what credentials...

Exchane 5.5 IMC Naming
I need to change the FQDN display name on a 5.5 Exchange IMC. Currently the server displays netbiosname.localdomain, where it should read the FQDN of the server. I've searched the registry and misc. config files in the Exchange directory to no avail. In Exchange 2K + you can set this in the server SMTP config. However there is no place to set this in 5.5. Any ideas? Thanks for the help. We ran into a similar issue. We found our options to be either configure our reverse lookup records to our internal namespace or change the domain suffix of the smtp machine. We ended up changing ...

Countif problems
I am currently trying to write a formula that looks up a centre eg Boston and then, from another column, how many 'Bostons' appear between two given dates. Is this possible? Although I am writing this formula other people will have to use it and change the date ranges regularly so it can't be overly complicated. -- Drew C With data arranged as below try the below formula. Query dates are in cells C1 & D1 =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A7>=C1)*(A1:A7<=D1)*(B1:B7="Boston")) Col A Col B Col C Col D 1/25/2010 Boston 1/25/2010 1/28/2010 1/26/2010 NY 1/27/...

Problem Converting HTML to Access
I have Access 97... When I link an HTML document to my Access table, the list shows that the information is there, but the cells are blank. The names show up only when I highlight a cell. Ex. I have 300 names and the list will say 1 out of 300, but no names will appear in the cell. It is just blank. Any suggesstions as to why this is happening? My first thought is that the HTML code in each cell of the table starts with something (e.g. a <BR> tag) that Access is interpreting as a linebreak or empty line. "rblivewire" <rblivewire@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:11...

Problem registering Office:mac 2008

Where to change my own internet adress in "FROM:" field?
I am using Outlook 2003 with Exchange server. My own eMail address is presented to recipients as Aaaaa.Bbbbbb@ccccccc.com Note: mixing of capital and lower letters I want my email address completely changed to lower letters: aaaaa.bbbbbb@ccccccc.com Where in Outlook can I change this? or is this a setting in Exchange Server ? Joe This is a setting in ADUC/Exchange. I would guess that everyone is set up with the same format throughout the company. -- Kathleen Orland - MVP Outlook Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.howto-outlook.com/ "Joe deAngelo" wr...

Problems saving HKLM
Hi there, I am trying to save the reg keys into a file: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG HKEY_CURRENT_USER HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE HKEY_USERS My program has both "SeBackupPrivilege" and "SeRestorePrivilege". I am using the RegSaveKey API. The program succesfully stores these: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG HKEY_CURRENT_USER The machine does not store these: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE HKEY_USERS Error ("Access is denied"). Can someone tell me how to save the HKLM amd HKU? This probably what the problem is: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?ur...

EUREKA -- the mutual fund problem is fixed
I just tried once more to update my Fidelity Funds in MS Money and, this time, the update worked. Both the quotes and the date were correct. EUREKA! Honestly, thanks to all who, like me, bugged Microsoft endlessly to understand the complexities of this problem and to get it fixed. We did it! "Chuck Leven" <CHLeven@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%230lQmZ03FHA.3636@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... >I just tried once more to update my Fidelity Funds in MS Money and, this >time, the update worked. Both the quotes and the date were correct. >EUREKA! Mine just upda...

Return the name of the object I click on in a form
Hi, How do I go about returning the name of an object on a form. For example if I set the "On Click" event procedure on a rectangle object to return: MsgBox Me.Name I get the form name. What I want to do is click on the object and be abe to reference it's properties such as Tag to run other code based in these values. As always any assistance is greatly appreciated. Regards, John Dumay For the name of the control try Screen.ActiveControl.Name For the control itself use Screen.ActiveControl -- AG Email: discussATadhdataDOTcom "John Dumay" <JohnDumay@dis...

Software Distribution
Hi, I try to install software using msi with mst. Software supplier told that I must run msi two times. First for some options and secound for another ( language option ). I try solve this with two way: 1) Add two mst to one package. I prepare mst with ORCA. After add secound mst and click OK i got error: "An error occurred accessing the software installation data in the active directory" and event log: Event id 110: Software Installation was unable to generate the script for \\dc\client.msi. The following error was encountered: Error applying transforms. Veri...

named range scope...
i get confused... a named range can have: a global level (to the entire workbook), or a worksheet level (to the active worksheet), or a ... also, i've really looked, but can't find good information on how to define 1 level name vs. the other... (any direction on this ?) Mark, Just the two. A workbook name is created by just inserting a name in the Names box, such as myRange. A worksheet name is created by adding the sheet name to the name in the Names box, such as Sheet1!myRange. You can then also create Sheet2!myRange. You can only add a worksheet name if ...

Excel 2007
Hi all, We have a spreadsheet that was set up to link to a database via a system DSN. To simplify deployment of this, I'd like to change this to connect via the connection string below: DRIVER=SQL Server;SERVER=xxx;UID=xxx;PWD=xxx;DATABASE=xxx; I've done this for another spreadsheet, and it was easy (Data tab- >Connections->Properties), but in this next spreadsheet the Connection Properties for one connection are greyed out/disabled, so I can't change the string. Does anyone have any ideas how to enable these values again so I can change the connection string? thanks! ...

File Name Length
Does anyone know if filenames can be longer than 31 characters in Office 2004? Thanks. In article <19bee01c41cec$47393e90$a401280a@phx.gbl>, "JM" <doubledawg9498@yahoo.com> wrote: > Does anyone know if filenames can be longer than 31 characters in Office > 2004? Thanks. FIrst, you *can* have filenames longer than 31 characters in Office v.X already - you just can't generate them. While v.X apps display a hash at the end of a long filename, it keeps the filename intact when you save. MS hasn't announced anything regarding long file names in 2004 ye...

Problem Sending Mail w/Outlook 2002
I receive and send a lot of email using Outlook 2002 and my Gmail account with no problem. However, I have two friends to whom I send emails that are always returned. I get an error message like this: Technical details of permanent failure: PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 9): 550 Invalid recipient: However, if I send the emails to them directly from Gmail, they go through just fine. Can anyone explain why they fail with Outlook? Pat This sounds like an issue with the SMTP server you have setup in outlook - not outlook itself. "patetc" <PatETC@gmail.com> wrote in messag...

Problem of ghost unread posts?
Hi All! I'm using Outlook Express. Three times today I'm seeing unread posts reported that can't be found. Synchronizing doesn't cure the problem. When I use Edit > Mark All Read I get an OE hang up. Ctrl + Alt + Del > End Task Return to News and the ghost has gone. Anyone else? Cause? Solution? Not critical but annoying. I wonder if it's a remains of a spam that's been removed before I read it. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available fr...

WindowsCE problems
I have some problems building application for Pocket PC (MDA1), maybe someone could help me. I have these two problems: -I need to create modal dialog box, but after creation sometimes I need to access it (in response to system calls) and show some messages... what is the best way to access modal dialog box while it's running? -is there a way to change colors of single items in list-view control ? Currently, when I'm using SetTextColor before each InsertItem, color changes but for all items in list-view (CListCtrl) :\ Is there way make this work? I'm using Microsoft eMbedded Visu...

Draft Folder problem #2
I'm running outlook 2000. My draft folder is called draft1. Can't seem to rename it! There isn't a folder named draft so what's happening? Isn't a big problem, but I should be able to solve it and I can't. Help. Thanks in advance Peter You could try to start Outlook from the run line with the /resetfoldernames switch. Start-->Run outlook.exe /resetfoldernames Reference: http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/assistance/HP010031101033.aspx "Peter Brown" <peter.jennifer@gmail.com> wrote in message news:TErag.449$TF.2645@news-1.opaltelecom.net... &...

Problem running MS CRM 3.0 over SSL (https)
I have setup an install of Microsoft CRM 3.0 on a high spec Windows 2003 Small Business Server and it all worked happily. I then generated an SSL certificate and applied it to the site in IIS. Initially when you load CRM (using the web client) it loads the left hand menu and navigation panes and shows the top menus and the user which is logged in however to main content area remains blank. After a time out period the error "An error has occurred. For more information, contact your system administrator" appears. The strange thing is you can navigate the menus etc and even edit...

How to remove contacts when email changes
Outlook 2003 If I receive an email from a sender not on my list, that sender's email address is not automatically added to my contacts but will appear on the automated list when I enter the first letter of the sender's email address. If that sender changes email address I cannot delete the old email address. Instead I am left with two email addresses for that sender both of which will appear on the automated list. How can I remove the old email address? You seem to be confused. Receiving an email does not add an address anywhere in Outlook. Sending an email might, a...

OFFSET problems in dynamic range
Hi, I'm having the strangest problem with the OFFSET function. I have 5 dynamic ranges in my worksheet. Aimline =OFFSET('Weekly ORF'!$F$4,1,0,COUNTA('Weekly ORF'$F:$F)-1,1) Sessions =OFFSET ('Weekly ORF'!$D$4,1,0,COUNTA('Weekly ORF'$E:$E)-1,1) WCPM =OFFSET ('Weekly ORF'!$G$4,1,0,COUNTA('Weekly ORF'$G:$G)-1,1) Date =OFFSET ('Weekly ORF'!Aimline,0,-1) Date2 =OFFSET ('Weekly ORF'!WCPM,0,-1) The problem is that the two names for Date and Date2 keep reverting to =OFFSET ('Excel Template.xls'!Aimline,0,-1) and =OFFSET (&#...

OnGetMinMaxInfo problem
Hi, I added an OnMinMaxInfo() function to my dialog so i can set the minimum tracking width and height for my dialog, I added this prototype to my dialog class: afx_msg void OnGetMinMaxInfo(MINMAXINFO* lpMMI); Then I added this function to set the min and max values: void CMessDlg::OnGetMinMaxInfo(MINMAXINFO* lpMMI) { POINT min; min.x = 200; min.y = 200; lpMMI->ptMinTrackSize = min; CDialog::OnGetMinMaxInfo(lpMMI); } It compiles but i can still resize the dialog to a smaller width/height, Any help would be apreciated :) Thx in advance, Thomas "Thomas" <Da_QuiK@fake...