Post disappeared -- "paid using the address information"

I posted this last week and I don't see my post or any replies.

What exactly does Money mean when it says "this payee is paid using the
address information"?  Does it mean that MSN Bill Pay prints and mails a
check to the payee?

When I e-pay my Comcast bill, Money 2003 gives it a date that's two days
from now.  My other e-pays initially get today's date in the register
(until the check clears, when it changes to the check cleared date).  I
wonder why Comcast gets a different date than other e-pay'ees.

The Comcast bill has sometimes cleared two days after I e-pay it.  I
doubt there's enough time for MSN Bill Pay (or Checkfree, or whoever it
is now) to print and mail the check and for the post office to get it.

Since there's no way for me to recommend to Money that it pay a bill
electronically instead of by mail, how does Money actually decide that a
particular payee should be paid by mailing a check?  Does it depend on
the name of the payee and the address?  Does Money (or MSN bill pay)
electronically ask the payee if it recognizes the account number?

Lastly, why aren't Visa and MC (and other) credit cards paid
electronically with funds transfer -- it seems that funds could be
transferred to the credit card company having just the account number.

Thanks.

David Walker
0
none89 (807)
10/13/2005 9:07:07 PM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

In microsoft.public.money, DWalker wrote:

>I posted this last week and I don't see my post or any replies.
>
>What exactly does Money mean when it says "this payee is paid using the
>address information"?  Does it mean that MSN Bill Pay prints and mails a
>check to the payee?

Money is using the address information to determine if the payee can
be paid electronically, or if a check needs to be mailed.

>When I e-pay my Comcast bill, Money 2003 gives it a date that's two days
>from now.  My other e-pays initially get today's date in the register
>(until the check clears, when it changes to the check cleared date).  I
>wonder why Comcast gets a different date than other e-pay'ees.
>
>The Comcast bill has sometimes cleared two days after I e-pay it.  I
>doubt there's enough time for MSN Bill Pay (or Checkfree, or whoever it
>is now) to print and mail the check and for the post office to get it.
>
>Since there's no way for me to recommend to Money that it pay a bill
>electronically instead of by mail, how does Money actually decide that a
>particular payee should be paid by mailing a check?  Does it depend on
>the name of the payee and the address?  Does Money (or MSN bill pay)
>electronically ask the payee if it recognizes the account number?
>
>Lastly, why aren't Visa and MC (and other) credit cards paid
>electronically with funds transfer -- it seems that funds could be
>transferred to the credit card company having just the account number.

I got a lot of help with this one:
In general, most payments are done by mailing checks.
Occasionally, some payees can be paid electronically.  It depends
on what the bank or Bill Pay Provider knows what to do.  One way of
telling is to look at the payee details.

When you first create a new payee, Money has to assume that it will
take a default number of days (the value provided by the Bill Pay
Provider).  If you create the electronic bill and have it saved as
a draft, you can see the default number of days.  Once you send the
first payment, Microsoft gets a response from the Bill Pay Provider
with specific days to pay values for that specific payee.  They may
even change the address.  If you go back to the payee details, you
can see the days to pay listed at the bottom of the address section
just above the button to check the online details.

If the days to pay are reduced, this usually means that it is being
paid electronically.
0
via_newsgroup (13114)
10/15/2005 4:41:00 AM
"DWalker" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> My other e-pays initially get today's date in the register
> (until the check clears, when it changes to the check cleared date).

If you don't want the date changed, you can change that behavior in Tools>
Settings> Online Service Settings> Overwrite transaction dates...

0
NoSpam1246 (979)
10/16/2005 8:54:12 PM
via_newsgroup@please.tnx(Cal Learner-- MVP) wrote in

> I got a lot of help with this one:
> In general, most payments are done by mailing checks.
> Occasionally, some payees can be paid electronically.  It depends
> on what the bank or Bill Pay Provider knows what to do.  One way of
> telling is to look at the payee details.
>
> When you first create a new payee, Money has to assume that it will
> take a default number of days (the value provided by the Bill Pay
> Provider).  If you create the electronic bill and have it saved as
> a draft, you can see the default number of days.  Once you send the
> first payment, Microsoft gets a response from the Bill Pay Provider
> with specific days to pay values for that specific payee.  They may
> even change the address.  If you go back to the payee details, you
> can see the days to pay listed at the bottom of the address section
> just above the button to check the online details.
>
> If the days to pay are reduced, this usually means that it is being
> paid electronically.

I suppose the address information is the only thing that Money can go
by.  Thinking about the statement "They may even change the address" is
odd, because the name (and maybe the account number?) is the only thing
it has to go on.  If I'm paying someone who has named their company
"Discover", I wonder if Money might get confused and think it's a
Discover credit card.

I don't like not knowing exactly what goes on behind the scenes.  But
that information helps, thanks.

David

0
none89 (807)
10/17/2005 5:20:30 PM
"Chris Cowles" <NoSpam@For.me> wrote in

> "DWalker" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>> My other e-pays initially get today's date in the register
>> (until the check clears, when it changes to the check cleared date).
>
> If you don't want the date changed, you can change that behavior in
> Tools> Settings> Online Service Settings> Overwrite transaction
> dates...

Yes, I knew abut that part, and I want the date changed.  The odd thing
was that the date for certain PAYEES was changed and for some payees it
was not, when I entered several bills all in a span of 5 minutes.  That
part confused me.

The setting you mention doesn't say it will overwrite the transaction
date for only some payees, and also I think it applies to when the
transactions are downloaded after they clear.  The date changes I had
took place when I sent the e-pays.

David

0
none89 (807)

Post disappeared -- "paid using the address information"
I posted this last week and I don't see my post or any replies. What exactly does Money mean when it says "this payee is paid using the address information"? Does it mean that MSN Bill Pay prints and mails a check to the payee? When I e-pay my Comcast bill, Money 2003 gives it a date that's two days from now. My other e-pays initially get today's date in the register (until the check clears, when it changes to the check cleared date). I wonder why Comcast gets a different date than other e-pay'ees. The Comcast bill has sometimes cleared two days after I e-...

Payee is paid using the address information
Money 2003: I believe that the notice "this payee is paid using the address information" when setting up "MSN Bill Pay - Online Billing Details" means that Checkfree/MSN Bill Pay actually prints out a check and mails it to the payee, right? It seems that, lately, my credit card companies have been changing their remit-to address more frequently. With various cards of mine, and my partner's, I end up having to double-check ALL of the payee addresses every month, and changing one of them on average every other month or so. This has become a frustration that I don...