Password errors when reinstalling Money 2003

I recently formatted my hard drive and reinstalled all my
software.  Now, when I try to open my MS Money file, it
tells me I'm entering the wrong password.  I'm using the
same password I've used for years, and there is no way I
or anyone else have changed it.

I've tried looking for password recovery software, but it
seems they all only work on Money 2001 and earlier.  I
tried opening the backup and get the same error.

Has anyone else experienced this?  I've never had this
problem before, but it happened the first time I tried to
use it after reinstalling, so I'm assuming it's related.

Any advice would be appreciated, as this file has all my
financial data for the past 8 years!
0
anonymous (74722)
5/22/2004 12:56:26 PM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

See thread "Restore Backup onto Another Computer" started May 19, 2004,
0152Z. If nothing there points you in the direction of a solution, you are
probably at the "open a support case directly with Microsoft" step. Good
luck.

"sce_77" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I recently formatted my hard drive and reinstalled all my
> software.  Now, when I try to open my MS Money file, it
> tells me I'm entering the wrong password.  I'm using the
> same password I've used for years, and there is no way I
> or anyone else have changed it.
>
> I've tried looking for password recovery software, but it
> seems they all only work on Money 2001 and earlier.  I
> tried opening the backup and get the same error.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this?  I've never had this
> problem before, but it happened the first time I tried to
> use it after reinstalling, so I'm assuming it's related.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated, as this file has all my
> financial data for the past 8 years!

Thanks for the reply.

I just tried installing the 60-day trial of Money 2004
and that fixed the problem...for 60 days anyway.  I'll
check out that thread.
0
anonymous (74722)
5/22/2004 3:38:07 PM
When you opened the file with M04, did it create a .M11 file and upgrade
your file? Do you realize that there will be no going back and now that you
are using your data in M04, that file won't go back to M03?

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I just tried installing the 60-day trial of Money 2004
> and that fixed the problem...for 60 days anyway.  I'll
> check out that thread.

Yep.  I'm aware of that.  I'm actually using M01, not M03
like I first thought--not sure why the password recovery
software said I was using M03.

I'll probably just upgrade at the end of the 60-day
trial.  Thanks for your advice.
0
anonymous (74722)
5/23/2004 3:19:38 PM
So, did the trial version leave a .Mnn file behind on the file upgrade? What
were the nn numbers?

> Yep.  I'm aware of that.  I'm actually using M01, not M03
> like I first thought--not sure why the password recovery
> software said I was using M03.
>
> I'll probably just upgrade at the end of the 60-day
> trial.  Thanks for your advice.

It did.  The file extension is .M11
0
anonymous (74722)
5/24/2004 2:28:34 AM
In microsoft.public.money, Dick Watson wrote:

>So, did the trial version leave a .Mnn file behind on the file upgrade? What
>were the nn numbers?

;-)
0
via_newsgroup (13114)
5/24/2004 2:55:36 AM
That indicates that the file was last current for Money 2003 (v. 11), not
the Money 2001 (v. 9) you indicated in one post. If you'd been using M03
then reloaded M01, a "password error" would result since M01 knows nothing
about the structure of an M03 file and this is the stupid message Microsoft
chose to indicate this.

> It did.  The file extension is .M11

Geez, am I an idiot. So now all I have to do is find the
M03 disk...  Probably easier said than done.  Thanks
again!
0
anonymous (74722)
5/25/2004 4:21:35 AM
Glad I could help. Thanks for the feedback.

> Geez, am I an idiot. So now all I have to do is find the
> M03 disk...  Probably easier said than done.  Thanks
> again!

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

password protection paramenters
Hello, I want to be able to unprotect my sheet, add a wordart graphi and reprotect my sheet. The problem I am having is when I do this wit code the file is protected with the default parameters selected. I wan to be able to enable wordart so I can insert a wordart object and the protect the sheet again. I want to get around the user being able to just delect the added wor art. When protected I would like the following parameters to be set: Allow users to select locked cells select Unlocked cells format cells format rows Its the "edit objects" parameter that needs to be enabled fo...

How to suppress repeating password prompts and scope pre-emption?
Outlook (2003,2007, perhaps other versions also) has an absolutely enraging feature seemingly devised to intentionallly cause major distress and anguish on the parts of its users, to wit: Whenever an email account provider computer decides the account has been open too long and requests a new logon, (ATT/Yahoo) or an account was never able to log on in the first place (bad password) a window periodically pops up and the keyboard entry goes directly into the password field with no warning. I am often typing an email etc. and find that the previous paragraph of text, some of i...

Filters not working in Exchange 2003

Error 550 Relaying denied

will CRM load on a 2003 server?

CSV Files and VLOOKUP error

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

Document Viewer installer error

Money End of Support
I may be asking something that's already been asked 1000 times (apologies in advance), but I'm just not 100% clear on something re: Microsoft's decision to end their support of Money. I'm a current Money Plus customer who uses the online features for stock updates, credit card downloads, bank statement downloads, and investment downloads (no Bill Pay). Reading their FAQ page, it seems that service should continue until 1/31/2011. However, when I shutdown money, I get a message that says "online services will expire in 21 days (that's what I got today). After ...

Are Exchange 2003 OWA Backups necessary

Error 130

SBS 2003 RWW & Windows 7 64 bit