One thing the M05 update doesn't change

An M05+Update file upgrade still mangles Food:Dining Out and :Groceries,
FWIW.

money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

It doesn't mangle it... this is a preferred setting... most users requested
that Dining Out and Groceries were two separate things and did not want them
in the same category... the default is setup this way... if you don't like
it, change it.

In the "Category" list select the "Groceries" category... right click it...
click "Move" and then enter "Food : Groceries" as the destination.

The same for the "Dining Out" category... move it to "Food : Dining Out".
This will take care of all the prior transactions as well as all of your new
transactions that you enter.

Larry

message news:OYODoQSzEHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> An M05+Update file upgrade still mangles Food:Dining Out and :Groceries,
> FWIW.

M05 is the first of ***12*** Money updates that changes categories that
pre-exist in an upgraded file. It does mangle it: it changes pre-existing
data without permission or warning. I couldn't care less what "most users"
want and what the default is for a new file. If I wanted my existing data
that way, I could change it to being that way rather than having to change
it back from that way.

BTW, I do know how to change it. See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=163.

"Larry" <lawrenceoleary@SPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> It doesn't mangle it... this is a preferred setting... most users
> requested that Dining Out and Groceries were two separate things and did
> not want them in the same category... the default is setup this way... if
> you don't like it, change it.

Hmm....  I have it setup exactly that way, and neither the Money update or
the file update changed anything....  Are you taking about predefined
catagories if one were to create a new file, or do you mean it changes your
catagory setup for your exsiting data file?

--

regards,
Michael Abbaticchio

message news:OYODoQSzEHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> An M05+Update file upgrade still mangles Food:Dining Out and :Groceries,
> FWIW.

0
nospam6185 (535)
11/18/2004 5:26:21 AM
If you upgrade an M04 file with Food:Groceries and Food:Dining Out
categories pre-existing and with transactions using them, you end up with
Food, Dining Out, and Groceries as three separate root level categories--it
unfolds the two subcategories.

(Or at least I have in two trials out of two, one before the recent update
and the other after. Others have reported this as well.)

"Michael Abbaticchio[MVP]" <nospam@abbaticchio.com> wrote in message
> Hmm....  I have it setup exactly that way, and neither the Money update or
> the file update changed anything....  Are you taking about predefined
> catagories if one were to create a new file, or do you mean it changes
> your catagory setup for your exsiting data file?

BTW, who is this "most users" we keep hearing about in connection with M05?
Was there an election or something I missed?

Since I was never asked, I can only assume that some population perceived to
be representative, somehow, of "users" was consulted. Who were these people?
Existing users? Selected to be representative of all of us how? People who
said they might consider using Money if only...? People who used Quicken but
who said they might consider using Money if only it was different like
this...? People who used OEM Money licenses for a week only to abandon the
whole thing as "too tough"? Ten random people dragged off the streets of
Seattle into some Focus Group who qualified as "users" because they were
breathing and could sit up straight???

It's like the "most users prefer" Essential stuff. What's with that? What
percentage of Money users actually saw that stuff before that assertion got
put in the product in so many places? 1%? 0.001%? OK, maybe 51% of 0.001%
preferred the Essential stuff. (Permit me to doubt.) That translates into a
prediction that "most users prefer" the Essential Stuff, sight unseen?

"Larry" <lawrenceoleary@SPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> It doesn't mangle it... this is a preferred setting... most users
> requested that Dining Out and Groceries were two separate things and did
> not want them in the same category... the default is setup this way... if
> you don't like it, change it.

I was asked about a year ago.Been a Money user since 1996 I think. There was
an email invitation to a survey.

--
ADAM PRESSMAN
message news:OC42uQTzEHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> BTW, who is this "most users" we keep hearing about in connection with
> M05? Was there an election or something I missed?
>
> Since I was never asked, I can only assume that some population perceived
> to be representative, somehow, of "users" was consulted. Who were these
> people? Existing users? Selected to be representative of all of us how?
> People who said they might consider using Money if only...? People who
> used Quicken but who said they might consider using Money if only it was
> different like this...? People who used OEM Money licenses for a week only
> to abandon the whole thing as "too tough"? Ten random people dragged off
> the streets of Seattle into some Focus Group who qualified as "users"
> because they were breathing and could sit up straight???
>
> It's like the "most users prefer" Essential stuff. What's with that? What
> percentage of Money users actually saw that stuff before that assertion
> got put in the product in so many places? 1%? 0.001%? OK, maybe 51% of
> 0.001% preferred the Essential stuff. (Permit me to doubt.) That
> translates into a prediction that "most users prefer" the Essential Stuff,
> sight unseen?
>
> "Larry" <lawrenceoleary@SPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
>> It doesn't mangle it... this is a preferred setting... most users
>> requested that Dining Out and Groceries were two separate things and did
>> not want them in the same category... the default is setup this way... if
>> you don't like it, change it.

0
appressman (11)
11/18/2004 3:50:10 PM
And did you ask for more ads? Food:Groceries to be Groceries? Essential
Register? Essential Reports? Essential Budget?

"ADAM PRESSMAN" <appressman@email.uophx.edu> wrote in message
> I was asked about a year ago.Been a Money user since 1996 I think. There
was
> an email invitation to a survey.

You mean I am going to have to go back and change my categories back again.
If that is the case, I would say mangle is a nice word for it.
message news:OC42uQTzEHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> BTW, who is this "most users" we keep hearing about in connection with
> M05? Was there an election or something I missed?
>
> Since I was never asked, I can only assume that some population perceived
> to be representative, somehow, of "users" was consulted. Who were these
> people? Existing users? Selected to be representative of all of us how?
> People who said they might consider using Money if only...? People who
> used Quicken but who said they might consider using Money if only it was
> different like this...? People who used OEM Money licenses for a week only
> to abandon the whole thing as "too tough"? Ten random people dragged off
> the streets of Seattle into some Focus Group who qualified as "users"
> because they were breathing and could sit up straight???
>
> It's like the "most users prefer" Essential stuff. What's with that? What
> percentage of Money users actually saw that stuff before that assertion
> got put in the product in so many places? 1%? 0.001%? OK, maybe 51% of
> 0.001% preferred the Essential stuff. (Permit me to doubt.) That
> translates into a prediction that "most users prefer" the Essential Stuff,
> sight unseen?
>
> "Larry" <lawrenceoleary@SPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
>> It doesn't mangle it... this is a preferred setting... most users
>> requested that Dining Out and Groceries were two separate things and did
>> not want them in the same category... the default is setup this way... if
>> you don't like it, change it.

0
sconklan (91)
11/18/2004 9:09:12 PM
Only if you start again with the M04 file. The M05->M05 "cross grade?"
didn't change them, IIRC.

"SteveC" <sconklan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> You mean I am going to have to go back and change my categories back
again.
> If that is the case, I would say mangle is a nice word for it.

Yeah, I see that; that is good news.  Well, I give MS Money people an A for
the updates.  I wish they would slip a few of our wishes in too.
message news:uQzsjkbzEHA.3808@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Only if you start again with the M04 file. The M05->M05 "cross grade?"
> didn't change them, IIRC.
>
> "SteveC" <sconklan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> You mean I am going to have to go back and change my categories back
> again.
>> If that is the case, I would say mangle is a nice word for it.

0
sconklan (91)
11/18/2004 10:20:15 PM
"SteveC" <sconklan@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Yeah, I see that; that is good news.  Well, I give MS Money people an A for
>the updates.  I wish they would slip a few of our wishes in too.

Well, dual category dropdowns are back, so that's something!
--
_______________________
Ed H.

"Dick Watson" <littlegreengecko@mind-enufalready-spring.com> wrote:

>They weren't last night when I tested. What's the trick? I only care to get
>it in the FAQ. I'm not doing production anything in M05.

Russ posted this last night.

>For those with the current update of M05 wanting to restore dual-cat combos,
>here is the registry key:
>
>[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Money\14.0]
>"UseDualCatMode"=dword:00000001
>
>Personally, I'm not sure what to do. I've been spending years trying to get
>used to single-cat, and I still don't like it as much as dual-cat. I think
>I'll honor the team by using this switch.
>
>-Russ Paul-Jones

Worked like a charm.
--
_______________________
Ed H.

> Worked like a charm.

Receiving window's change color event
In my MFC app, how do I receive the windows' change color event? For example, the color scheme has changed from normal to silver, how do my app receive such notification? "Charles Tam" <CharlesTam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:52E0421D-B893-4DCC-97E6-42F91EDE017C@microsoft.com... > In my MFC app, how do I receive the windows' change color event? > For example, the color scheme has changed from normal to silver, how do my > app receive such notification? Maybe WM_SYSCOLORCHANGE is wha you're looking for http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us...

Combining an update query with a parameter query
I wanted to know how you can update data in a table using the update query and a parameter query. How did you want to run this update query? In query design, you can just put your parameter in the query. To run it programmatically, you can then use RunSQL in a macro or code. A better programmatic approach might be to build the SQL statement in code, concatenating the parameter value into the string. Then Execute the string itself: you don't need a saved query. The advantage is that you know whether it worked or not. Here's an example: Action queries: suppressing dialogs, whi...

Changing Codes
I have a series of product codes that all begin with a zero e.g 0455 0343, 0325. I want to change all the zeros to a 9 is there a quick way of doin this? Chri -- cj2 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cj21's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2567 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=40144 Maybe using a helper cell and using a formula? ="9"&mid(a1,2,255) (255 is just a very big number to get the remainder of the text.) If these are numbers just formatted to show ...

How do I change the color of the drop down arrow when using the a.
How do I change the color of the drop down arrow when using the autofilter option in Excel 2000. You don't. You could use a different Theme in Windows>Display>Appearance but that would affect all applications. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 14:42:26 -0800, "SouthBay588" <SouthBay588@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How do I change the color of the drop down arrow when using the autofilter >option in Excel 2000. Interesting question. But what is wrong with the default color? What is the use of getting another color? Just a matter of esthet...

Change Views for mailbox ?
If a user have more than one eMail adresses and i add the to: ( In German An:) field in Outlook 2000 to the view in the inbox, i only see the Name from the Mailbox but not the eMail adress. Can i change it to display the eMail adress? ( in Exchange 5.5 the to: Field displays always the eMail adress) wbr Bruno ...

how do I change installation path after initial install.
I have installed Exchange 2003 on the c: drive (C:\Program Files\Exchsvr) I now want to change it to the D: drive. When I go through the setup wizard and select the install from "none" to "change" (or anything else) The path is greyed out and I can't change the path. Is there a way to do this without removing and reinstalling? There was a tool in 5.5 to do this... Rob "Rob" <send no spam@nk.com> wrote: >I have installed Exchange 2003 on the c: drive (C:\Program Files\Exchsvr) >I now want to change it to the D: drive. > >When I go thro...

Tough one
MVPs I have a few questions 1. How do we add more than 3 conditional formats ? Macros ?? Any add-in tools available to make life easier 2. Also, can we write macros to trigger some action, not just color cells based on conditions being met 3. How can we get a count and statistics of the cells that have been highlighted due to conditional formats ? I have a big text file with thousands of lines of records and when I populate that into excel, based on some conditions, the cells would light up. Now I would need to get some statistics of which type of formats are most prevalent etc 4. Ca...

Scroll function gone after update
I have a client that does not have scroll bars on edit lists since updating to version 10. Also, even if there is a scroll bar present, we're unable to scroll by rolling the ball on the mouse, we have to click the scroll bar-we didn't have to in version 9. I am unable to find anything regarding this in knowledgebase. Thank you for any help with this. Tracey D Trace D, I am not wrong , edit list is report. First click the "Magnify" field in report and click the any one of the report field. Now mouse scroll will work in report. regards Jeganeed...

How do I link excel to word so excel changes appear in word?
I have to write a word document in my submittals and some of what I d in excel I have to hand type into word. Is there a way I can typ something like "The total cost is $345,897" and have the number chang if my excel pricing changes so I don't have to keep changing the number in the word document? I know you can paste tables you make in excel into word, but what need is to beable to link a cell in excel to the middle of a sentenc in word -- caliskie ----------------------------------------------------------------------- caliskier's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/mem...

How do I change an ODBC connection?
I have a spreadsheet that refers to an MS Access db through an odbc connection. If I move that spreadsheet and db to another location I get errors stating it cannot find the path to the db. I created a new ODBC connection, named the same as the old and pointing to the relocated db but no luck. I also checked the registry and the ODBC connection is pointed to the correct, new, location. ...

Incomplete and blank after update
Hi, I updated today and in the Portfolio Manager, below the holdings in the blue bar, it says "Today's Total change: $111.11(-.... Market Value" etc., the rest is there. (-... doesn't tell me anything, is there a way to make that show? And it also has "Last update" and no date. Blank. The last update date and time only shows on the home page. Financial News does not update, no headlines, blank. It worked in M04. I want M04 back. :) This is really bad. Did I get a reeeeally bugging program or defective? lol. Thanks. Judy In microsoft.public.money, Judy...

Update Problem 06-28-10
Recently, I downloaded & installed updates by going to the Windows Update site -- just like I regularly do, . The update process went fine -- all updates were installed. NOW, however, the program (Acronis) that I regularly use to backup my hard-drive crashes with a BSOD specifying a kernel error. I guess that I will have to UNinstall these updates to be able to run that program. Is there any way I can find out which update is causing the problem so I only have to UNinstall only one of these updates? I use WinXP Pro SP2. On 2010-06-28 2:52 p.m., MN wrote: > Rece...

Is there a way to change outlook express
I just downloaded and installed sp2 and I don't like the "new" outlook express, is there a way to change it back without having to uninstall sp2 update? No. Write down exactly what you don't like about it and ask in an Outlook Express forum. This is an Microsoft Office Outlook forum. Outlook Express is family of Internet Explorer and Outlook of the Office family. Here is the link for the right forum http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=InternetExplorer Good Luck!" -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month...

Update from CRM 3.0 to new CRM 4.0
At the moment we are runnig CRM 3.0. Because of the new multi-language feature of CRM 4.0 we want tu upgrate/update to the new version. Does anybody has further information about the necessary steps? I suggest that you wait for the officially released version which will contain upgrade and installation guides. -- ----------------- Please note that the contents of my posts are my personal opinions and views and I am not a Microsoft staff member. ----------------- Feridun Kadir MCSE, MCT "Frank_Munich" wrote: > At the moment we are runnig CRM 3.0. Because of the new multi-...

Update Worksheet data to other worksheets Data
Hi All I have two Excel file. One Excel (A) create by User and other Excel (B) is shared version posted on company shared directory. I need update Worksheet B base on Worksheet A. In Worksheet A, the key is Col A + Col B + Col Cm matched to Worksheet B, the key is Col A + Col D + Col E Below Column need to update WS A to WS B. The column may be changed. After each Updated. Work Sheet A -> WorkSheet B I - > P J ->Q K ->R .... Any suggestion to using VBA to Update Excel B ? If Records not f...

Changing x-axis scale
I have a volume-open-hig-low-close stock chart. The left y-axis is volume, the right y-axis is price and the x-axis is date. I need to "change the scale of the x-axis so that the major unit occurs every 7 days." I've tried different cpombinations of the Number of categoies between tick-mark labels and Number of categories between tick marks and none seem to work. Hi, Seems like you xaxis scale maybe category rather than date. Right click chart and choose chart options. On the axis tab make sure the xaxis is a date axis. The the scale tab will allow you specify 7 days ...

Change the default cell size in Microsoft Excel?
I've been trying all morning to figure out how to change the default cell size in Microsoft Excel so that each cell is the size of four cells normally. Is this possible? I realize I can select four cells at a time and then merge them but I need page after page of cells this size and its not very efficient to do it this way. Thanks in advance, James Open an excel sheet and click on Format coloumn standard width then put in the width you need Thanks Simon -- simon ----------------------------------------------------------------------- simonc's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com...

Change spreadsheet by moving graph points?
I am trying to find a way to move a graph point around and then have it tell me what the new number would be in my spreadsheet? Is this possible? It used to be. If you haven't upgraded to Excel 2007, it still is possible. Select the point (one single click to select the series, another to select the point). If it's a marker, put the cursor over the point and it will become a 2-headed arrow (line chart) or 4-headed arrow (XY chart). If it's a bar or column, put the cursor at the end of the bar and it will become a 2-headed arrow. Drag this arrow to change the value being plo...

How can I change the default forward account
Hi, At the moment when I try to forward an email using Outlook 2003 (with a number of pop3 accounts and a Microsoft exchange server account) it opens the email that is to be forwarded and the default account that tries to send the email is the Microsoft Exchange Server. How can I change the setting so that no emails are sent using this account at any time? I only want to use this account for sharing files and calendars, not for sending or receiving emails. (don't ask why!) Cheers Lenny ...

Mass Change Checkbook ID In vendor Maintenance
We recently switched banks, I am now looking for an easy way to update the checkbook ID in vendor cards to reflect the change in bank. We have about 200 vendors and I really don't want to go into each vendors card and change each one individually. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. Domenic Domenic, If vendor has assigned to class then you simply update the check book id in class set up. It will update the all vendors who are all assigned to this class. I think this is the only way to update the mass vendors. If any thing else, would be appreciated, Regards Jega...

Updating progress bar after OnInitDialog
Hi all, I have a dialog-box: when the user presses a button, I would like to show a new modal dialog-box with a progress bar indicating some potentially lengthy operation progress. This operation is done by a worker thread. (The worker thread sends messages to the GUI thread, to update progress bar position.) The problem is that I can't start the thread or send messages to the progress bar from OnInitDialog. So, I thought about this "work-around": in OnInitDialog, I create a timer (just 200 ms), and return. When the timer "ticks" for the first time (i.e. after 20...

Changing Tender Buttons on Touchscreen Tills
Hi, I am having trouble with changing the default tender type to Credit Card rather than cash. We are having similar to another query: "I went into SO Manager to switch Cash and Credit Card so CC is in position 1 and Cash is position 2. The changes took affect but the touchscreen button labeled Cash set the tender to MC and MC sets the tender to cash. So, I deleted all the tenders in SO Manager then added them back in the order I wanted them to appear. Once again, they appear in the order I want but now the touchscreen tender keys do nothing. They are on the touchscreen keyboard,...

Changing trial version
Hi, I downloaded Office 2007 Home & Student trial version only to discover that I cannot find IRM/RMS Permissions used to secure documents. How can I load the Office 2007 Professional Trial version - simply downloading Office 2007 Professional Trial version and installing simply shows up as Office 2007 Home & Student trial version. Do I need to uninstall the current Office 2007 Home & Student trial version ? Will I be allowed a install the Office 2007 Professional Trial version ? NOTE: My current trial version expires Jan 21, 2010. Tks http://office.micro...

update query help 07-14-10
sql 2000 i have three tables 1- create table mytab(id_no varchar(5), Counter smallint)) 2- create table Rectab(id_no varchar(5), refno smallint)) 3- create table Lib_tab(refno smallint) insert into mytab values(1,null) insert into mytab values(2,null) insert into mytab values(3,null) insert into mytab values(4,null) -- Rectab has duplicate values insert into Rectab values(1,1) insert into Rectab values(1,1) insert into Rectab values(1,2) insert into Rectab values(1,2) insert into Rectab values(1,2) insert into Rectab values(1,3) insert into Rectab values(2,1) ins...

Change background colour using formula
I am looking to change the background colour of a cell when a specifi formula returns false. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Johnny -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Johnnyb See Format, Conditonnal formatting Say for instance your Formula returning false is in A1 and you wish to apply format to B1 In B1: Format, Conditionnal formatting Formula is =A1=FALSE And then apply relevant desired format HTH Cordially Pascal "Johnnyb >" <<Johnnyb.192gbj@excelforum-nospam.com> a �crit dans le message de news:Johnnyb.192gbj@excelforum-...