Not public traded mutual funds... how to enter/maintain in Money?

My new company's 401k funds show up with the following in the
description... 'This fund is not a publicly traded fund and is not
listed in any business periodicals'... I am assuming that this means
there is no stock symbol to track nor download (at least, looking
through the overviews of each fund there was nothing anywhere
indicating what the mutual fund symbol was). Some of these funds are,
like, International Equity Fund, Agressive Portfolio,  Small Cap Fund,
etc etc.

What does this mean for these kind of funds? Is there, then, no stock
symbol to track? If so, then how would be the way to enter and track
these funds in Money 2005? (Again, this is a company 401k) When should
I enter ending stock prices, then?

Tom
0
Tom4406 (70)
5/31/2005 12:11:40 AM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

The short answer is "it depends". Some plans that do this quote everything,
(Buys, Sells, earnings), in terms of unit values with associated unit
prices. If yours is one of these plans, track it per the statements and use
their units and total dollar values for each transaction--Money can figure
the price given this data. You can create the investments you have as
"Mutual Funds" without symbol. This is about as good as it gets.

Many plans don't provide unit/unit price information. The best of a series
of compromised answers for this case seems to be using $1 shares for
everything. Contribute $250? Buy 250 $1 shares. Reallocate $400? Sell 400
shares at $1, buy 400 shares at $1. Periodically (based on quarterly
statements or whatever works for you) do an Account Update (it's a link at
the bottom of the Investment Account Account Summary page) and let it enter
Add/Remove shares transactions as required to reflect investment performance
to get your Money data back in balance with the plan's data.

401(k)s are one of the two most complicated things to model in Money.
Someday I'm hoping to finish a 401(k) primer page. It just hasn't happened
yet. You might find some good nuggets at
http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?cat=10 in the interim.

"Tom" <tom@nospam.com> wrote in message
> My new company's 401k funds show up with the following in the
> description... 'This fund is not a publicly traded fund and is not
> listed in any business periodicals'... I am assuming that this means
> there is no stock symbol to track nor download (at least, looking
> through the overviews of each fund there was nothing anywhere
> indicating what the mutual fund symbol was). Some of these funds are,
> like, International Equity Fund, Agressive Portfolio,  Small Cap Fund,
> etc etc.
>
> What does this mean for these kind of funds? Is there, then, no stock
> symbol to track? If so, then how would be the way to enter and track
> these funds in Money 2005? (Again, this is a company 401k) When should
> I enter ending stock prices, then?

"Tom" <tom@nospam.com> wrote in message
> My new company's 401k funds show up with the following in the
> description... 'This fund is not a publicly traded fund and is not
> listed in any business periodicals'... I am assuming that this means
> there is no stock symbol to track nor download (at least, looking
> through the overviews of each fund there was nothing anywhere
> indicating what the mutual fund symbol was). Some of these funds are,
> like, International Equity Fund, Agressive Portfolio,  Small Cap Fund,
> etc etc.
>
> What does this mean for these kind of funds? Is there, then, no stock
> symbol to track? If so, then how would be the way to enter and track
> these funds in Money 2005? (Again, this is a company 401k) When should
> I enter ending stock prices, then?
>
> Tom

My last employer had a 401k like that.  Although they didn't maintain a
price history on their website, they did post the prices for the previous
business day.

Every night I would log on to the 401k website, then copy and paste the
previous day's prices into "Update Prices > manually".

Every two weeks when I got paid, I'd pull up the transaction history from
the 401k website, then manually enter the buys.

Dividends were posted quarterly.  A few days after dividends were paid, I'd
pull up the transaction history, then manually enter the dividend
reinvestments.

In my case, employer matching was also posted quarterly.  Sometimes I'd have
to wait a week or two for the transactions to finalize, then I was able to
input it.

As the company stock was actually a mutual fund for which no details were
available (not even online), I'd input it as a stock, let Money download the
daily price, then periodically use add/remove shares to bring the market
value in Money in line with the market value on the 401k website.

--
Scott Tyler
agent_scotty-at-hotmail-dot-com

0
Scott
5/31/2005 1:17:26 AM
Enter an investment description, but no symbol. Make sure, if you have
multiple accounts (eg, 403b + 401a) you create the investment only once. If
the investment exists in multiple accounts, don't create multiple instances
of the investment - just pick it from the drop-down list while adding it to
the account. By not creating multiple instances of the investment, updating
the price once will update it in all accounts.

Update the price manually from time to time using data provided by the
broker. You'll find that function under 'Common Tasks' on the left side of
the investment account register. As this is a retirement account, and I
assume you're not trading it actively, there's no particular benefit in
updating more than about once a month, anyway.

You may be able to get investment distribution information from them that
describes it in terms of large, mid, small, bond, cash, or other. You can
enter that on the details page of the investment. Click the 'Change...'
button next to 'Change Asset Allocation: on that page. (Unfortunately, Money
never has had an international category.)

If you want to use the asset allocation tool (different from asset
allocation on the investment details page), that tool allows only a single
classification per investment. For mutual funds invested in a variety of
investment types, you'll have to arbitrarily pick one.

"Tom" <tom@nospam.com> wrote in message
> My new company's 401k funds show up with the following in the
> description... 'This fund is not a publicly traded fund and is not
> listed in any business periodicals'... I am assuming that this means
> there is no stock symbol to track nor download (at least, looking
> through the overviews of each fund there was nothing anywhere
> indicating what the mutual fund symbol was). Some of these funds are,
> like, International Equity Fund, Agressive Portfolio,  Small Cap Fund,
> etc etc.
>
> What does this mean for these kind of funds? Is there, then, no stock
> symbol to track? If so, then how would be the way to enter and track
> these funds in Money 2005? (Again, this is a company 401k) When should
> I enter ending stock prices, then?
>
> Tom

0
NoSpam1246 (979)

Money 2007 Business Section
A couple things I found in the Money 2007 business section that cause definite problems. 1. When invoicing, there's no way to include the date that the time took place on the invoice. So there is no way to show your client what date the service you're billing them for took place. There is no report in the system that displays the time data with the date, so it can't be exported or reported on either. This seems like an obvious flaw, but evidently it's OK since it was the same in 2006. That makes it correct, so it won't be fixed (per MS). 2. When invoicing tim...

Entering A Price into POS
I'm trying figure out a way to automaically take a % off an item and enter the regular price into the input field in POS. In other words, we want to enter a regular priced item at the POS and have the program calculate 50% off the price on the fly. This is for a special item that we have a variety of pricing that need to be keyed in. Jerry, Just to clarify you want to take 50% off an item that you have the system prompting you to enter in the price? -- or -- Are these items prices already set? If so, then you can use the Inventory Wizard in Store Ops Manager to set the Sale Price ...

MSN Money Newsletters
I used to receive the MSN Money PM Market Newsletter up until the 20th of last month, then nothing. I have tried almost everything to acquire it again without any luck, and have not found any help at Microsoft either. Does anyone have any ideas? ...

Entering arithmetic operations
Hello. I'm a 1-2-3 user who is trying to become familiar with Excel. I have a very basic question, and would appreciate any help from experienced users. In 1-2-3, if one opens a sheet and enters "4*5" the cell will show "20". Entering "10/2" will yield "5". But in Excel, even if the cells are specifically formatted as Number, it seems to be necessary to put "=" in front, so that one has to enter "=4*5" or "=10/2". Since the equal sign is in only one place and not on the extended numeric keyboard, I have to ...

Money 05 cuts off data
B of A (Washington) using Yodlee & msn to sync data. The problem I'm experiencing is that the Payee field is being cut off. I've used /using the Payee Rules Manager, which has been working to a certain extent. My question is... What is the size limit for the payee field? A typical transaction from bofa(WA) looks like "PURCHASE 5xx29xxx658xxxxx3 ON 12/30 AT CASTLE ICE RENTON WA" When synced as configured above all i get is a very small portion, maybe part of the actual name. Second question is when trying to do a manual export from bofa (Wa) website I have the opt...

A Free Business Directory with Trading Platform. Add your Company
A Free Business Directory with Trading Platform. Add your Company Complete Profile, Add your Product/Service with keywords. Visit http://addhand.com , Register and trade with world for FREE. Regards John Moore This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00AC_01CAD1D0.78CC2D10 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Please don't advertise in these newsgroups. Mike Glen Project MVP "Web" <web2market@gmail.com> wrote in message = news:a0450e49-8006-4bf6-b2d2-81b16b0...

Sharing 2006 Money File
I am trying to share Money with my wife. We both have a hotmail account. I have tried to log into her account (www.hotmail.com) ... no problem. However, whenever I try to add her via "Manage sharing" and I enter her password ... Money returns with a "...could not complete sharing setup for this file please try again". I have gone through the "Access your Money data on the Web". It does not specify what the problem is. Am I missing something? Any input is welcome Thanks Do both of you have different Passport accounts? Are all hotmail.com accounts also Pass...

Configuring NDR copies to Public Folder
Hi Using Exchange Server 2003. I created a 'postmaster' mailbox that receives NDRs and then set it so that it forwards it to another address which is a mail enabled public folder. I get this error in the event viewer. Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeIS Public Store Event Category: Transport Delivering Event ID: 2028 Date: 08/07/04 Time: 2:36:56 PM User: N/A Computer: APOLLO Description: The delivery of a message sent by public folder NDR NOTIFICATIONS227406224D7E7D4E26D0C5A3D1DD7EA40A5CCA has failed. To: 'notavaliduser@ebop.govt.nz' Cc: The non-delivery repo...

Money 2006: Is there an account for FSA?
Is there anything like a special account in Money 2006 for a flexible spending account? And if so, what is it called? Rod I'm not aware of one. Since it wouldn't really have any properties a basic cash account wouldn't have, using a basic cash account is good enough for many of us. "Rod" <rod@no.spam> wrote in message news:%23xX7cJtMHHA.1248@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Is there anything like a special account in Money 2006 for a flexible > spending account? And if so, what is it called? So, should I set up a cash account, then, or doesn't it ...

TRowePrice or Ameritrade in Money 2005
Does these both work well with Money 2005? Are they both good brokerages? John wrote in <vcmdnXgwObb1KMXcRVn-rw@comcast.com>: >Does these both work well with Money 2005? >Are they both good brokerages? > I've used TRowePrice for years with no complaints, but I'm no Warren Buffet. Money 2005 has been screwing up my investment balances though. It used to work great with Money 2002. They are both reputable firms. At the present time, I am unable to download any of my Ameritrade account data with Money 2005. From a few other reports, Ameritrade is not working with ...

Money 2003: Change investment type from fund to stock
One of my investments was set up incorrectly as a mutual fund rather than a stock. Now when I sync with my brokerage website, it doesn't find the stock (since Money thinks it's a mutual fund) and it wants to add all the stock shares to my account as new shares. How can I change the investment type from mutual fund to stock from the Investments area? There are no menu options to do so and the online help doesn't provide any clues. I have several years worth of transactions for this stock, so I'd hate to have to re-enter them all. In microsoft.public.money, IanP. wrote: >...

Money Download #3
I am assuming with all the issues, Microsoft is not going to be making Money available for download today? Don't see why not, the download version isn't going to be any different to the one you buy in the shops! But do please think twice about using a download and rather get a version on media! What are you going to do when your hard disk dies taking your downloaded copy of Money with it?!! -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. For wishes or suggestions see http://register.microsof...

how to enter a bond in Money 2004?
Hello! I just purchases Money 2004 Premium and want to enter a bond that I bought a few years back. It has a set price I bought it at (eg. $1000), which matures 5 years later at $1200. It is a non-US bond. Anyone know how to do this? Thanks for helping the inexperienced! ...

Basic Money 2004 Budgeting Question
In MS Money 99 I was able to chart out several months worth of spending by budget category (auto, gasoline, groceries, etc.) By looking at this chart, I was able to compare by month my actual spending versus my budgeted amount for each category. In addition, the cumulative totals at the far right showed how much in the black or red I was in each category over the period of time that I specified (e.g., Sept 02 - July 03). I have been unable to find a chart that performs this function in MS Money 2004, which seems odd given that being able to track such information over a period of ...

publication 'loses' picture
Hi to everyone, I am creating a travel diary with PublisherXP, which is my first encounter with this program (so I am a complete novice to Publisher). I have no idea whether Publisher was made for such a use, but as it is, it works fine for me. So far I'm content with my publications (one for each day), but a few questions have arisen. This was the only newsgroup about Publisher I could find so I decided to ask here. I've googled quite a bit but was not successful. So much for the introduction, now one of my questions.:-) Sometimes (unfortunately I can't make out a regular patt...

Public Folder Permissions Not Displaying Correctly in Outlook
This is a weird one. I'm using Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003 in cached exchange mode. About 6 months ago I migrated from 5.5 to 2003. New server, new install and then moved the mailboxes and folders over. All worked well, no problems. Recently, I have been upgrading my clients to Office 2003 and received a few reports that users were not able to create or edit information in the Public Folders even though they had the proper permissions. I usually just re-applied the permissions and moved on. However, I have run into a problem where the permissions in the Exchange System Manager (ESM) sh...

Money 2004: Error in Subtotals and Cash Flow Charts
On my Account List screen and in the charts on my Cash Flow screen, the subtotals for my checking, credit card, and investment accounts are shown as ridiculously large numbers (i.e. $268,991,640,696,311.71). When I check each account for beginning balances ($0) and all of the transactions in each account, I can't find anything that would be causing this. (The ending balances at the list of transactions in each account is correctly listed.) My currency is also correctly set to USD. Does anyone know where this huge number might be coming from? Thanks. In microsoft.public.money...

Publications Designer
I would like to design different publications with Microsoft Publisher and sell the publications. Can I legally do this? I would like to design business cards, logos, flyers, stationery, etc., and even offer adminstrative assistant services to potiential customers. Can I legally sell whatever publication I make using Microsoft Publisher 2003. I do have a liscensed copy of Microsoft Publisher 2003. Legal Information http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/FX100667421033.aspx?pid=CL100569831033 -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.micros...

Copy sent mail automatically to public folder
I can’t seem to google this information, so I’m asking for help? I know there’s got to be an easy way, I just can’t seem to think of it. I created a public folder on Exchange 2003, and I’m using it to catch all the support emails that come into the system. The public folder is part of a distro list that automatically copies all inbound mail to this folder. I would also like it to catch all the support emails going out as well, where support is in the from line. The support emails go into a sql database and are pulled from it using another software program. The support public fold...

Money 2004 will not update stock quotes after initial update
The first time I loaded Money 2004 and updated stock quotes it worked. Since then, it provides a checkmark in the Call Summary Mesages next to the message "Your call was successful" in the Category "Quotes, New, and Exchange Rates". However, I see the time of the download is the time when I ran the first update, not the most recent. Money support has not yet fixed the problem. Has anyone else had the problem? More importantly, does anyone have the fix? I deleted the program and reinstalled. Once again, it did it the first time but then the same issue occurs...

Money 2007 Check number download problem
When I download from my bank I get the check number plus it has 'view check' next to the number. This just started. I do not know how to fix this. Any help would be appreciated. =?Utf-8?B?bWVsZWxpbmE=?= <melelina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on 14 Apr 2008 in group microsoft.public.money: > When I download from my bank I get the check number plus it has 'view > check' next to the number. This just started. I do not know how to > fix this. Any help would be appreciated. What bank? Option 1: Your bank downloads directly into Money. The bank is putt...

Item-Level Recover for Public Folders
Hi, i'm testing Exchange 2010 with SC DPM 2010 RC. For item-level restoring MS DPM suggest to use Recovery Database in Exchange 2010. It's works fine with Mailbox Databases. In Exchange we have limit to one Public Folder Mailbox Database. After backup is restoring to Recovery Database, it can not be mounted. If dismount Public Folder Database, Recovery Database bring mounted. Anybody have ideas to implement item-level restore for Exchange Public Folders? If you want to recover an item from a database to another database it is must that both of them need to ...

Sending emails from Public Folder
Hi, I have a public folder on the exchange server which is email-enabled. I am able to receive messages into it but cannot find a way to send messages from it. I have the folder in MS Outlook and whenever I click on the folder and try to send a message it displays my personal email address as the "Sender" (it's the same case with replies from the folder). How can I cause this folder to act like a mailbox so I can send and receive messages from it? On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 13:34:02 -0700, "sdhillon" <sdhillon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, I have a pub...

Unable to enter hibernation
Hello: I just installed a new internal SATA 500GB WD HDD but I cannot go into hibernation. I get the following error: "The device driver for the 'WDC WD5000AACS-00ZUB0' devide is preventing the machine from entering hibernation. Please close all applications and trry again. If the problem persists, you may need to update the driver." Anyone knows why is this happening? Thanks, Roberto Roberto, did you look in Control Panel>Power Options. Can you make any changes in there? Is there a Bios setting that needs to be enabled? You can Go to West...

Money 2004 crashes on download!
I have been using Money 2004 with online services for over a year now, and this morning it started crashing when it would do its latest download. I have daily backups, so I went back a couple of days and restored a presumably known good backup, and same thing happens when it does its account download. I reboot the system to be sure everything was clean. Now it is able to download fine if I process updates again, here is the problem - from the crashed event, I have about 12 transactions that it says I have to check, but they do not show up for example in my checking account register an...