New 2006 trial won't work with 2005 file

Hi - I've just downloaded the new trial 2006 - by mistake actually -
because i was having problems with the 2005 trial that was available
just last week so I thgt I would re-d/load. Now Money is saying that it
cannot convert my Money 2005 file into 2006 format because it was
created in a different version. I don't have a problem paying for the
software, but there's not point in my buying MS Money 06 if my 05 file
won't work and has 12 months worth of data in it. Does anyone know why
it won't convert my 2005 file? I don't want to loose all that
information, and I would rather use the lastest version of the software
if I can. Many thanks.

money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

Perhaps because one is the international version and the other is a US
version?!? If this is the case, this will be the result.

"bluealmond" <bluealmond@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi - I've just downloaded the new trial 2006 - by mistake actually -
> because i was having problems with the 2005 trial that was available
> just last week so I thgt I would re-d/load. Now Money is saying that it
> cannot convert my Money 2005 file into 2006 format because it was
> created in a different version. I don't have a problem paying for the
> software, but there's not point in my buying MS Money 06 if my 05 file
> won't work and has 12 months worth of data in it. Does anyone know why
> it won't convert my 2005 file? I don't want to loose all that
> information, and I would rather use the lastest version of the software
> if I can. Many thanks.

I have almost the same issue but I just bought Money 2005 and tried to
convert my files from Money 2002.  Thankfully I can open my files, through a
convoluted channel, but when I click on the shortcut icon on my desktop
labelled Steve's Finances (the way I opened my file in Money 2002) it won't
open.  I have to open my Money 2005 program (through the "start" button),
enter my logon codes and then I can access my files.  The file is a .M10 file
- is there a way to make this easier that you know off?

"Dick Watson" wrote:

> Perhaps because one is the international version and the other is a US
> version?!? If this is the case, this will be the result.
>
> "bluealmond" <bluealmond@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi - I've just downloaded the new trial 2006 - by mistake actually -
> > because i was having problems with the 2005 trial that was available
> > just last week so I thgt I would re-d/load. Now Money is saying that it
> > cannot convert my Money 2005 file into 2006 format because it was
> > created in a different version. I don't have a problem paying for the
> > software, but there's not point in my buying MS Money 06 if my 05 file
> > won't work and has 12 months worth of data in it. Does anyone know why
> > it won't convert my 2005 file? I don't want to loose all that
> > information, and I would rather use the lastest version of the software
> > if I can. Many thanks.

0
Hodges (2)
10/6/2005 2:15:04 AM
I don't think your issue is almost the same.

If the shortcut on your desktop points to a Steve's Finances.M10 file, it
needs to be updated to point to the Steve's Finances.MNY file.

The Steve's Finances.M10 file USED TO BE the M02 Steve's Finances.MNY file.
(Still is, in fact. It's just been renamed.) M05 copied it to a temporary
file, renamed the old Steve's Finances.MNY file to Steve's
Finances.M10--thus your shortcut is broken--and then upgraded the temporary
file to a new M05 Steve's Finances.MNY file.

"Steve Hodges" <Steve Hodges@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have almost the same issue but I just bought Money 2005 and tried to
> convert my files from Money 2002.  Thankfully I can open my files, through
> convoluted channel, but when I click on the shortcut icon on my desktop
> labelled Steve's Finances (the way I opened my file in Money 2002) it
> won't
> open.  I have to open my Money 2005 program (through the "start" button),
> enter my logon codes and then I can access my files.  The file is a .M10
> file
> - is there a way to make this easier that you know off?

well actually, both versions were d/loaded from Mircosoft, so I don't
think this is applicable. Any other thoughts?

Was the 2005 version updated with the 1105 patch at all? You would have
needed to go online with the 2005 version and a download would have
occurred. Help->About would mention a version number of 14.0.xx.1105

--
Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money
http://money.mvps.org/

Check http://money.mvps.org/faq/ for tips and fixes for MS Money. To send
Microsoft your product wishes see http://money.mvps.org/wishes.aspx

> well actually, both versions were d/loaded from Mircosoft, so I don't
> think this is applicable. Any other thoughts?

0
glyn1 (1534)
10/6/2005 7:19:44 AM
Microsoft has made both US And international versions available for
download, so this is, potentially, applicable.

But let's go back to the beginning. You said "Money is saying that it cannot
convert my Money 2005 file into 2006 format because it was created in a
different version." What is the exact error message?

message news:OqwHHyfyFHA.3756@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Perhaps because one is the international version and the other is a US
> version?!? If this is the case, this will be the result.

If the versions arent compatible I'd have expected MS to have clearly
indicated the incompatibility.......hopeless M$

0
me994 (146)
message news:e8sNfUnyFHA.4032@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Microsoft has made both US And international versions available for
> download, so this is, potentially, applicable.
>
> But let's go back to the beginning. You said "Money is saying that it
> cannot
> convert my Money 2005 file into 2006 format because it was created in a
> different version." What is the exact error message?
>
> "bluealmond" <bluealmond@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> well actually, both versions were d/loaded from Mircosoft, so I don't
>> think this is applicable. Any other thoughts?

I have experienced exactly the same problem - i downloaded the Trial Version
and am also unable to "convert" my 2003 file to 2006

It fails with the "Money cant open this file because it was created using a
different version of Money" - obviously it WAS a different version, hence
the upgrade!!! Do I have to upgrade to Money 2005 to advance to 2006??? Not
a wise move on M$' part if that is the case!!!!.
The failure asks if a "Send Error Report" is to be performed, and when
selected,  the MS Money site reports:

            We're sorry
            There is no additional information about this issue in the Error
and Event Log Messages or Knowledge Base databases at this time. You can use
the links in the Support area to determine whether any additional
information might be available elsewhere.

            Thank you for searching on this message; your search helps us
identify those areas for which we need to provide more information.

Damn useless web site and product if it cant convert previous version files.
Any M$ tech resources available to throw some light on this (ridiculous)
situation?

The process creates a backup Money.M11 backup file but does not complete, as
indicatedf above.

Regards
Mike

0
me994 (146)
10/10/2005 1:17:43 AM
This issue is documented many places. I suggest you figure out what
localization your M03 version and figure out how to get, if available, a M06
edition of the same localization.

I agree that Money should provide better support for changing localization.
It doesn't. I also agree that the messages Money gives in these situations
could be more helpful--though many users wouldn't understand better
messages. But they aren't. Posting here 100 times won't change that.
Migrating to Quicken is unlikely to do much for your M03 data, but knock
yourself out if it will make you feel better. Most of us here care not in
the slightest if you buy Quicken.

message news:%23lCA6qTzFHA.3188@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> This issue is documented many places. I suggest you figure out what
> localization your M03 version and figure out how to get, if available, a
> M06 edition of the same localization.

My version was purchased in Australia - the Help information does not appear
to indicate the "localization" details.
I downloaded the Trial Version, as advertised by M$ but there was no
information in the product details indicating a localization issue, and that
the product was US-specific. Can you please point me to these "many places"
you referred to?

> I agree that Money should provide better support for changing
> localization. It doesn't. I also agree that the messages Money gives in
> these situations could be more helpful--though many users wouldn't
> understand better messages. But they aren't. Posting here 100 times won't
> change that. Migrating to Quicken is unlikely to do much for your M03
> data, but knock yourself out if it will make you feel better. Most of us
> here care not in the slightest if you buy Quicken.

After reading the numerous problems and reduced capabilities in later
versions of Money, I am not surprised others will also forgo M$ Money
products.
I guess most M$ techies here don't care whether I switch to Quicken -
however from a feedback point of view, maybe M$ should take notice of users'
issues and address them, and improve their support services.

Mike

> "Mike" <me@home.com> wrote in message
>> If the versions arent compatible I'd have expected MS to have clearly
>> indicated the incompatibility.......hopeless M$

0
me994 (146)
10/10/2005 2:46:40 AM
comments inline.

> My version was purchased in Australia - the Help information does not
> appear to indicate the "localization" details.

Sadly, they don't make it easy to tell. How do they spell check/cheque in
online help?

> I downloaded the Trial Version, as advertised by M$ but there was no
> information in the product details indicating a localization issue, and
> that the product was US-specific. Can you please point me to these "many
> places" you referred to?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;197668 has been
there for years.
http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=1 was the first entry in this unofficial
FAQ.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22microsoft+money%22+international
will find many sources of this information.

There are others. I agree that Money should come up with a big warning that
the files are localized to version [fill in the blank] and not easily
interchanged to other locales. They don't.

>> I agree that Money should provide better support for changing
>> localization. It doesn't. I also agree that the messages Money gives in
>> these situations could be more helpful--though many users wouldn't
>> understand better messages. But they aren't. Posting here 100 times won't
>> change that. Migrating to Quicken is unlikely to do much for your M03
>> data, but knock yourself out if it will make you feel better. Most of us
>> here care not in the slightest if you buy Quicken.
>>
> After reading the numerous problems and reduced capabilities in later
> versions of Money, I am not surprised others will also forgo M$ Money
> products.

Nor am I.

> I guess most M$ techies here don't care whether I switch to Quicken -
> however from a feedback point of view, maybe M$ should take notice of
> users' issues and address them, and improve their support services.

Most of us are not "MS techies" or "M$ techies", whatever those are, but we
also aren't a marketing arm of Microsoft. You are correct, though, that we
don't care who's software you buy, steal, or get Free/Open Source. Sure
Microsoft should take notice. We keep hoping too.

Have you considered trying
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7985bee7-5d3d-4d5a-88c7-f751bf98c0ba&DisplayLang=en???

message news:O9NyTwUzFHA.2884@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> comments inline.
>
> "Mike" <me@home.com> wrote in message
>> My version was purchased in Australia - the Help information does not
>> appear to indicate the "localization" details.
>
> Sadly, they don't make it easy to tell. How do they spell check/cheque in
> online help?
>
>> I downloaded the Trial Version, as advertised by M$ but there was no
>> information in the product details indicating a localization issue, and
>> that the product was US-specific. Can you please point me to these "many
>> places" you referred to?
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;197668 has been
> there for years.
> http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=1 was the first entry in this unofficial
> FAQ.
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22microsoft+money%22+international
> will find many sources of this information.
>
> There are others. I agree that Money should come up with a big warning
> that the files are localized to version [fill in the blank] and not easily
> interchanged to other locales. They don't.
>
>>> I agree that Money should provide better support for changing
>>> localization. It doesn't. I also agree that the messages Money gives in
>>> these situations could be more helpful--though many users wouldn't
>>> understand better messages. But they aren't. Posting here 100 times
>>> won't change that. Migrating to Quicken is unlikely to do much for your
>>> M03 data, but knock yourself out if it will make you feel better. Most
>>> of us here care not in the slightest if you buy Quicken.
>>>
>> After reading the numerous problems and reduced capabilities in later
>> versions of Money, I am not surprised others will also forgo M$ Money
>> products.
>
> Nor am I.
>
>> I guess most M$ techies here don't care whether I switch to Quicken -
>> however from a feedback point of view, maybe M$ should take notice of
>> users' issues and address them, and improve their support services.
>
> Most of us are not "MS techies" or "M$ techies", whatever those are, but
> we also aren't a marketing arm of Microsoft. You are correct, though, that
> we don't care who's software you buy, steal, or get Free/Open Source. Sure
> Microsoft should take notice. We keep hoping too.
>
> Have you considered trying
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7985bee7-5d3d-4d5a-88c7-f751bf98c0ba&DisplayLang=en???

Dick, thanks very much for the links, mate...and your replies - very much
appreciated.

Wish you were a MS (M$) techie - they need capable and responsive people
like you  :)
Best regards
Mike

0
me994 (146)

Excel file e mail addresses into address group list
I want to take the .csv file from excel into my outlook express address book then copy addresses (select members) into a group list. Then I want to keep that address in the group list, but erase from the address book. Hi Jack, First back up your Windows Address Book ( .WAB) Export your address book to a .csv format so that you are sure you have the formatting correct (all the fields). When you import your .csv file to the address book, you must add one more column to your Excel file and fill it with a single blank. This will generate the need comma at the end of each row -- fail...

Moving files Outlook 2003
I am moving my outlook files to a new computer. Does anyone know how to accomplish this move? Wayne <was2480@msn.com> wrote: > I am moving my outlook files to a new computer. Does > anyone know how to accomplish this move? http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm tells the files. The easiest is to simply copy your PST to the new PC, put it in some folder, giving it a name that doesn't match any other PST, make sure it's not read-only, and use Outlook's File>Open>Outlook Data File to open it. -- Brian Tillman ...

Missing Measures in .cub file created in Excel
After using Excel's Offline OLAP features which create a local cube file (.cub), many of the desired measures which I included in the wizard setup are not displayed. I'm looking for a reason for this. The data populating this cube file is from a virtual cube, so background calculations take place. I considered that those measures requiring calculation would not be included once seperated from the original virtual cube... but many calculated measures WERE included so I don't think that's the complete explination. I've varied the measures included in the .cub file...

Sounds stop working in Entourage 2008
I have installed Office 2008 on a fresh install of Leopard. After Entourage runs for a several minutes, the sounds stop functioning. If I close and reopen Entourage, it will produce sounds (send, receive mail, reminders, etc...) for several minutes, then no sounds until I restart Entourage. In article <ee8a2a8.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw>, SKPnSF@officeformac.com wrote: > I have installed Office 2008 on a fresh install of Leopard. After Entourage > runs for a several minutes, the sounds stop functioning. If I close and > reopen Entourage, it will produce sounds (send, receiv...

how to extact a compressed file
I cannot uzip my zipped files ..Help Winnie Hello Winnie Winnie wrote: > I cannot uzip my zipped files ..Help is this a Word problem? Have you inserted ZIP files as objects in word, for instance? If not, better ask in a forum/newsgroup for your ZIP application or your operating system HTH Robert -- /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT | \ / | MVP | Scientific Reports X Against HTML | for | with Word? / \ in e-mail & news | Word | http://www.masteringword.eu/ ...

Money 2005
Hello, I use Microsoft Money 2005 now for a while, and everytime I exit the app, it connects and uploads the changes to MSN Money. Is there a way to disable this setting? I would like to delete all of my financial data on MSN Money and not have MS Money upload it there again. If there is a way to stop it, please let me know. Thanks, Brett No problem: Tools: Settings: Access your Money data on the Web. Then you'll be able to disable it. -- "Brett" <baisley@h o t ma i .com> wrote in message news:O9vVj9ZqFHA.1336@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hello, > >...

Selecting specific work times for every day in a calendar
I want to select specific work times to do work on a project from 9pm to 1am every day but when I tried to do this, the work times I specified would not change. Hi DannyG, Is the specific times you want to reflect, related to the resoruce or the task? Times are set up in various places. The first is the calendars where you can change the time for each individual day or selected days, the second is in the Calnedar tab of the 'tools/options', where the project defaut setting is mad. I suspect from yoru query that you want to change the default working day from 8:0...

New Chart in Excel 2007 is NOT showed unless preview
I have a sheet with multiple charts in Excel 2007 one of the new created charts is hidden when I open the file Unless preview is selected, then finally turned on BUT many formats are changed and objects on charts (titles,...) can not be moved ! what's wrong ? Make sure you have installed SP2 for Office 2007 as this fixes some (not all) chart problems best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "Rolando" <Rolando@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0B0A3E5C-AABD-4982-962B-8C5C09A2CC5A@microsoft...

Transferring Order with attached POs -- not working
When we attach a PO to an SO and then receive and post it, it doesn't transfer to an invoice. We get a report which says "0 transferred successfully" & "0 errors". I can't figure out what the problem is. Anyone have any thoughts? Ted Is the item being allocated and fulfilled on the order? "Ted Doolittle" wrote: > When we attach a PO to an SO and then receive and post it, it doesn't > transfer to an invoice. We get a report which says "0 transferred > successfully" & "0 errors". I can't figure out what ...

Get rid of "folder sizes" and "data file management" links
at the bottom of the folder list? I'd love to remove these to make more space available in the list. Thanks. ...

I get wrong dates when i paste from a different sheet into a new s
Hello again, My problem now is when I open an old excel sheet with data on it and try to paste that info on a new sheet I get wrong information. example: I'm trying to copy dates from an excel sheet I have. The dates are for the year 2004. When I copy the data and paste it on a new sheet the dates I now see are 2000. I'm puzzled. What I find wierd is when I have clipboard open the information shows the correct dates but when it's actually pasted on the sheet it shows as 2000. I'm using Excel 2003, but I get the same thing when using excel 2002(xp) Thanks for your help,...

working with default data files
I am using IMAP and I would like to config outlook to bring all my emai to the default "personal folders" or delete that folder. Is tha possible -- g.garrett ----------------------------------------------------------------------- g.garrette's Profile: http://www.officehelp.in/member.php?userid=491 View this thread: http://www.officehelp.in/showthread.php?t=124989 Posted from - http://www.officehelp.i g.garrette <g.garrette.2gnhe4@NoSpamPleaze.com> wrote: > I am using IMAP and I would like to config outlook to bring all my > email to the default "personal fo...

Problem restoring backup file from money 98 to money 04
Just upgraded to a new computer with Money 2004 --- Have transferred my money back-up file to the new computer --- Everytime I try to open using Money 2004 it begins the process of converting the file and then times out (stops responding) Any ideas??? Extremely frustrating as I don't want to lose 6 years of financial data ---- Thanks How long have you waited? It could take a long time--like tens of minutes. While it is in this state, it will be "not responding." This doesn't mean it's dead, just hat it's busy. "jh227" <anonymous@discussions.micr...

How to statically linking 2 files for 32 bit and 64 bit in VC++ 2005
I am trying to statically link a xyz.lib file to my 32-bit VC++ 2005 MFC app in order to use a .sys file. I have two xyz.lib files, one for win32 and one for amd64. I know I should add the .lib file to ['Property Pages' > 'Linker' > 'Input' > 'Additional Dependencies'] But which file do I add, how do I add both files, and how do I ensure the 32-bit app can use the linked .sys on 32-bit as well as 64-bit? Thanks! Hi, Just use the 32 bit lib, your app will run on 64 bit via WOW64. 64 bit development would involve setting up a new cpu platform, whi...

New users loose SMTP address
Scenario: W2k3, Exhange2k3 2 domain servers create a user on either domain controller, add the smtp address we want (from a large list), come back a few minutes later and the address will change to the system default. Notes; we dont run the smtp recipient policies as such - just a general one with all our smtp address suffixes, this problem only occurs on every four/five accounts created. At first we thought it was the individual support person, then blamed his PC, his MMC connection, now Tech servoces have found it occurrs to anyone creating large numbers of users. Thought it could be...

Net Work Days in Access?
Hello all, Is there a way in access to obtains the difference in work days between two dates, similar to DateDiff only excluding weekends (and holidays)? Excel has this as NetWorkDays. I have this column: EDays: DateDiff("d",[timein],[timeout]) Which works OK except that it includes weekends. Thank You, -plh -- Where are we going and why am I in this HAND BASKET?? ...

trouble openning file
I am drawing a blank again regarding the correct way to read files. Here is the pertinent section of code I am troubled by: CString JobFile="C:\\temp\\1.dat"; CFile in; CByteArray buffer; if(!in.Open(JobFile, CFile::modeRead)){ AfxMessageBox("Error opening file"); return; } buffer.SetSize(in.GetFileSize()); if(in.Read(buffer.GetData(), buffer.GetSize()) != buffer.GetSize()){ AfxMessageBox("Error reading file"); return; } in.Close(); When I compile I get the following error: error C2039: 'GetFileSize' : is not a member ...

GDI+ mfc save Bitmap to File Stream
Hi, I am using GDI+ in mfc. I have a file pointer declared as File *fpOut; This file pointer is also used for writing to other text data to the file. I am not sure how to save an image to this file stream. When Bitmap.Save function to save to stream the first parameter is of type IStream and not FILE. Any suggestions on what can be done? Thanks, -Asfar ...

List of stocks/investments in 2005
In my previous version of money I was able to get to a list of investments. I could scroll around through the dropdown at the top of the window and then make changes, delete them, etc. Has this feature been taken away? How can I delete an investment that I can't get to? In microsoft.public.money, Jack Addington wrote: >In my previous version of money I was able to get to a list of investments. >I could scroll around through the dropdown at the top of the window and then >make changes, delete them, etc. Has this feature been taken away? The drop-down list accesses tha...

New Email addresses
I am looking for a way to change all of my users email addresses to use one standard naming convention. Currently we have a wide mix of formats. I would like to settle on firstname.lastname@domain.com Is there a tool or utility that I can use to force a change and make the new ones the default address as well as keeping the original address. thanks LDIFDE will do this. You could also add the new address to your recipient policy and force it to run, but that might have side effects you don't like. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!...

Adding new account to same bank
In Money, I have an checking account set up for a particular bank. I have since opened a new credit card account with the same bank. When I try add this account via. Account List- Add a New account - Choose account type (select credit card) - (Choose the bank) - I get the message "Your account list already contains accounts with (particular banks name). After Money updates your accounts, review the account list to see if it shows duplicate copies of any accounts... click "OK". If I click OK Money changes the exiting accounts type to a credit card account instead of adding...

Import/Export sql tables to an XML file?
Hi, How can I export/import data from SQL server tables to/from an XML file? Note: I want to tdo this from a desktop application written in c# and uses sql server tables for storing data. Is there a way to do this? Also, are there libraries that already do this? Thanx in advance... ...

New Calendar event only showing as all day tas
When I create a new calendar event, say for an hour. It creates itself as an all day event. (Outlook 2002) If I view the event in OWA the event shows properly as the one hour event. If I view the event and look at the scheduling tab, the event shows properly Sometimes the event will disappear in Outlook, but I can still see it using OWA. The users mailbox has been deleted and recreated (mail reimported using a pst file). This problem can be recreated on a different workstation. New profile did not fix problem. Thanks ...

importing excel files into outlook 2007
I did an import and it worked perfectly. I tried to ddo a second, and am receiving a message that - an error occuredwhile importing or exporting and the import/export was terminated. MAPI error 0x80070057 was reported. please try again. I have rebuild the file, changes names and still receive the same message. I looked on ms faq but can't find how to fix the problem. Can anyone help. Thanks Dick Take a look at both of these sights... http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-854669.php http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329295/EN-US/ Anvil22 wrote: >I did...

Max limit in resource.h file of VC++
Hi, We specify the next step number for the resources, commands and control by the following. _APS_NEXT_RESOURCE_VALUE _APS_NEXT_COMMAND_VALUE _APS_NEXT_CONTROL_VALUE Do we have any way to restrict the numbers or specify the max limit. eg. I want my resource to have command values from 1 to 100. So #define _APS_NEXT_COMMAND_VALUE 1 // Next command number Can I specify somewhere in the resource.h file saying 100 is the max if it goes beyond 100, throw an error? Thanks, Prashant. ...