Must be connected to the internet

I was warned that MS Money was junk.  I was also warned that Vista was
not even close to a true release version.  I assumed that my degree in
Software Engineering and decade of industry experience would ensure
that the problems I was warned about would not happen to me.

I was wrong.

I have purchased a new quad core dell pc with Vista.  I then purchase
Money Plus Deluxe and spent around 8 hours importing my accounts,
categorizing my expenses, setting up a budget, setting up bill
payment, etc.

Today I tried to open Money.  Money prompted me that it required a
software update in order to proceed.  I let it run the update.  Now MS
Money cannot sign in stating "You must be connected to the internet to
sign in online."  That makes sense except that I am online.  I can get
online.  I can sign into my Live account.

I am now ON HOLD with technical support.  They obviously don't have a
clue.

I am technically inclined and cannot make a dent in the problem.  Shut
down anti-virus, turned off firewall, checked Advanced Internet
settings, reinstalled MS Money, etc.

If a technical person can't run this software the average end user
doesn't stand a chance.

My two cents ... MS Money sucks.  MS Vista sucks even worse (didn't
mention that I am paying for a 6 megaBit connection and getting 6
megaBits on every machine in the house except for my new dual core
box)

I hate Microsoft (if you can't tell) ...
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

Reboot your computer.
<phillipcoley@gmail.com> wrote in message =
[...]

0
SteveC
3/26/2008 3:12:15 AM
There's always Linux and GNUcash...

<phillipcoley@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I hate Microsoft (if you can't tell) ...

<phillipcoley@gmail.com> wrote in message =

> If a technical person can't run this software the average end user
> doesn't stand a chance.

I'm a technical person. I'm running Vista Ultimate x64. I resolved your =
insurmountable problem by rebooting once after the update installed.
--=20
Chris Cowles
Gainesville, FL
0
spam_magnet (1210)

running eseutil from a remote desktop connection
it takes me an hour to get into work. i have to run eseutil this weekend to defrag my information store due to a lot of deletions. because it will take a number of hours, i'd like to do it remotely using remote desktop connection. that way i can start it and then periodically check on it throughout the day without having to go into the office. i've got a 2k3 server running exchange 2k3 sp2. are there reasons why this may/may not be wise? thank you. ross As long as your server is not setup to disconnect/terminate idle RDP sessions... (on a second thought... you could do it...

Outlook 2003 won't connect with Exchange Sever 2000
I just installed Office 2003 and tried to use Outlook 2003 to access my Exchange Server 2000 mail box. It won't connect. I keep getting the error message Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server' reported error (0x8004011D) : 'The server is not available. Contact your administrator if this condition persists.' I still have Outlook 2002 installed on another machine in the office and it can still access the same server and mailbox without problems. Please, anyone with any experience here? Thanks. On the machine with OL2003, can you ping the Exchange server by name? Is your...

Configuring Connection Filtering
I have changed the actual names that follow, but this is a real scenario that I'd like assistance with. I have a callcenter called FOO who accepts 1-800 calls for me. They forward messages to me and I have an Exchange 2003 Server w/ SP2. The domain of FOO is @foo.com. The email address that the mail comes from is always cc@foo.com. The ip address of the mail server at foo.com is 141.10.10.10. Because I use Exchange Intelligent Message Filter and have tweaked it just right so it catches almost 100% of inbound junk mail I do not want to lower the SCL ratings. However, email from c...

connection problem
i have a home network , when i unplug the network cable and turn on my computer , and log on to win xp , it tells me the network cable is unplugged , when i plug the cable into the network card it doesn't tell me lan is now connected , network is active but the icon in the task bar doesn't refresh it's status , and when i log into winxp with unplugged cable , the mapped network drivers in my computer shows that every map drive is connected , it's supposed to tell me couldn't connect to all network drivers, and show the disconnected network drive on the mapped...

Number of logins/connections on IMAP server is high
Hi, I have been told that the number of connections that WLM uses when connecting to my IMAP server is quite high - normally about 15 to 16 connections when WLM is opened and has checked for any new mail. My account is using SSL when connecting to the server. My iPhone uses 1 connection and I have been told that Thunderbird uses only 1 connection when checking mail. Could you tell me if this is normal and/or whether I can limit the number of logins that WLM uses. Thanks, Steve ...

Connect SqlParameterCollection to SqlCommand
I have to pass a parameter collection to a method and then add it to the SqlCommand. Can I do that without having to go throught a foreach loop? I tried to do : command.Parameters = sqlParams; where sqlParams is an SqlParameterCollection. But got a message saying that it was readonly. I can loop through and just do: if (sqlParams != null) foreach(SqlParameter param in sqlParams) dbCommand.Parameters.Add(param); But was curious if I can just attach the collection? Thanks, Tom On Jan 14, 4:47 pm, "tshad...

Connection string to SQL Server to 2005
Hi, We have a software that we need to install on our users machines. During the installation process looks like it is trying to create a datbase in our sql server 2005. Here is the connectiong string that is generated by during the insallation process Persist Security Info=False;Integrated Security=true;Initial Catalog=DriverAccess;Server={ip address};Network Library=dbnmpntw;Application Name=Radiolinks Driver Access Manager When I include the IP address and move on and complete the installation it says that the installation was successfull. I see it available under Start/Pr...

MS Exange connection

Working on connection problem for hours!
windows mail vista ultimate cox webmail only, so not use the internet service quest is internet service at the house i live can not send or receive mail here are the errors... The connection to the server has failed. Subject '5', Account: 'kah', Server: 'smtp.west.cox.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E Account: 'kah', Server: 'pop.west.cox.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR An authentication mechanism MUST be entered', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Erro...

odbc connection fails in Office 2010
i recently got a new computer with win7, and also purchased Office 2010. A database that i have had for years is producing odbc connection failed errors. i had no problems with 2007 (with win7). i have gone throught the "sandbox" security change in the registry that i found in the online help. i have also added it to trusted sites, enabled macros, but still no luck. the test connection in odbc administrator works fine. On Thu, 20 May 2010 09:33:01 -0700, magick <magick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: What is the exact error? What is the app trying to do...

Exchange Connectivity #4
A new Exchange 2003 single site, has suddenly dropped access to all of the MS Outlook clients. Baseline security shows all is ok, pings fine, re-started all services and stores. Any ideas please?? what do you mean, exactly? what are the symptoms? any thing in the application log? can your users logon to the network? Global Catalog server OK? "Don Bews" <dbews@northlanarkchc.on.ca> wrote in message news:oX9Ce.15751$qg1.1377535@news20.bellglobal.com... > A new Exchange 2003 single site, has suddenly dropped access to all of the > MS Outlook clients. Baseline secu...

Can you connect to E*Trade brokerage account
I'm a new Money 2005 user and I have successfully been able set up my online accounts except one, E*Trade. I keep getting the message "Your accounts couldn't be updated with infromation from your bank or brokerage". Called Microsoft and they blame E*Trade, called E*Trade and they didn't even know Money 2005 was out already. Is anyone else experiencing this? I'm I correct in assuming that I use the same username and password to access the information through Money as I do from the E*Trade website. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 I am using both M2003 deluxe and M...

No BackOffice Internet Users Group
I need to restrict some of our client machines from internet access to pass the security audit of one of our customers. When I read the Exchange2000 Admin help, it indicates that we should have a BackOffice Internet Users Group and that all users should be in it...but if I remove them, they will not have access to the internet. We have no such group? Nor can I figure out a way to set up a group with restricted internet access. (Our network vendor "moved" us from a prior version of Small Business to the newer version that utilizes Exchange2000...so it may be that this feature d...

outlook connect two exchange servers simultaneously
Is there any know trick to get Outlook to connect to two exchange servers simultaneously. I know that this is not supported. I know I can use OWA and Outlook. I know I can set up multiple profiles with different exchange servers. I know I can even specify which profile to load via the desktop icon/shortcut target (c:\...outlook.exe /profile <name>). BUT I am guessing someone has figured out some way to accomplish this. Or...is there a way to have multiple instances of outlook running simultaneously (each one pointing to a different profile) thanks K no... "AdminKen&q...

Lost Windows XP, Internet Explorer and supporting files
I somehow lost all my "Window" elements. Microsoft suggested that I try a "reinstall" which I did, but the problem was only 99% of the update downloaded and then it froze and now none of the Windows files work. Could not restore to earlier date as the download erased that option. I have been working with Microsoft and Dell to no avail. My main concern over wiping everything out and reloading from the Recovery Disk is that I will lose my "personal videos/pictures" and these can't be replaced. I've tried to download them on CD, uploadin...

There must be a way...
Hey All: I've got a quick question that's been bugging me for a while. If I'v got data arranged by columns, but I've written a formula which I wan to drag right (i.e. rearrange the calculated data into rows), then ho can I write a formula so it will just copy over? The problem is that normally when you copy a formula to the right i will increment the column letter by one each time while keep ing th row number referenced in the formula the same. Instead, when I copy i to the right, I want the column letter to remain the same and the ro number referenced in the formula to ...

Outlook users must authenticate every time they connect to exchang
Anyone know why it is doing this, and how I can fix it? It's driving me nuts, and causing me to be unable to install Blackberry Exchange Server. I've searched and searched and can find nothing- can anyone help? TJ: What version of Exchange and NT? I saw this happen with Exchange 2003 and Windows 2003 AD. It was due to some overly restrictive domain controller policies. The obvious question, is, are the clients configured to always authenticate in the MAPI/Outlook profile? Also, is the BES server running on the same machine as Exchange. This is probably not relevan...

Outlook must be running
Whenever I try to send an email by right-clicking on a file | SEND TO | MAIL RECIPIENT I get an error message when Outlook 2000 is not running...why won't this spawn the program automatically anymore? Please advise? This has always been the behavior. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Having searched the archives, RobbL <robbll@nospamearthlink.net> asked | Whenever I try to send an email by right-clicking on a file | SEND TO | | MAIL RECIPIENT I get an error message when Outlook 2000 is not | running...why won'...

Office Document Connection wont connect and locks my AD account
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Hello <br><br>I have been using Document Connection (DC) happily with my company's SharePoint for some weeks now. Today I had some hiccup with my AD account password, which is now sorted and I can now log onto the SharePoint site through Safari and authenticate to access the WebDAV through Finder. <br><br>However when I accessed the same WebDAV using Document Connection I was told that I didn't have permission and my AD account got locked. It looks like DC hammered my AD account...

Internet Calendars
I'm using the Internet Calendar Subscription feature in Outlook 2007 and I have a question. On the advanced options form, there is an "Update Limit" section. It says: "Update this subscription with the publisher's recommendation. Send/Receive groups do not update more frequently than the recommended limit to prevent your subscription from possibly being cancelled by the content provider. Current provider limit: Not published." I really need to understand how Outlook is looking for this limit. I've got a customer and someone has subscribed...

XL
Hi All, I have written a VB macro in XL to pull some data from the Oracl datadase and display it on the XL. My macro is working fine in some PCs and its throwing an error in th rest. The error is Run-time error '-2147467259 (80004005)': Oracle error occured, but error message could not be reterived fro Oracle Am using the following code to connect to Oracle. Cn.Open "Provider=MSDAORA.1;Data Source =" & Input1.Database.Value ";User Id= " & Input1.UserID.Value & ";Password=" Input1.Password.Value & ";Persist Security Info=False&q...

virtual NIC and embedded Linux as USB Device connected to WinXP
Hi, I have installed a virtual NIC (configured by means of linux.inf file), which connects to an embedded Linux Device. Layer 3+4 Protocol is TCP/IP. The Connection works fine, until the linux device goes into sleep mode. Then the TCP/IP connection breaks down and die virtual NIC disappears from Device Manager. I was wondering if this is a layer 1 (USB Bus) or layer 2 (RNDIS) problem, or even triggered by plug&play function of windows. The TCP/IP Timeout is configured as 2h per default. Can someone give me a hint, or point me in the right direction? Can I suppress th...

setting up a new Internet message policy
would like to setup a new policy to allow an external company to receive read receipts. I have setup a new smtp policy under global settings > Internet Message Format. So I now have one that says Default domain * and the one below this that says external.domain.co.uk. The default one does not allow read receipts and the second one does. Unfortunately this does not work. Any ideas what I am missing? I've been looking around on the net and now I'm wondering if it is at all possible to set this up so external companies can receive read receipts. Can someone confirm if this...

Prevent a specific email address send from Internet
Dear All, I would like to block a email address (Ex: abc@yahoo.com) send from outside to our users. I tried to add this email address to Global Setting\Message Delivery\Sender Filtering and chose drop connection. But this email still come to our users in Junk folder. Any ideas ? Thanks On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 16:37:12 +0700, "Newbievn" <khoa.le@navigosgroup.com> wrote: >Dear All, > >I would like to block a email address (Ex: abc@yahoo.com) send from outside >to our users. I tried to add this email address to Global Setting\Message >Delivery\Sender Filterin...

Need to restore cursor on Internet Explorer
The cursor on IE suddenly turned into a crosshair format which does not function like a normal cursor. Ihave looked everywhere and I can't find a means of restoringthe normal cursor. This happened when my cat stpped on the keyboard. Also note that it's bloody nuisance to have to go thru 29 steps to get onto the site to post a question like this. Why is that necessary? I had to reset my password, etc. Reboot. "BigDot" <abcd@email.com> wrote in message news:0E9C7322-F4BB-4C0B-BA9B-FCB381EFC742@microsoft.com... > The cursor on IE suddenly turne...