Multiple portfolios?

I am testing a trial version of Money 2004 before buying.
I'd like to find out from someone if Money allows you to
set up multiple portfolios with different investment
accounts - all I've been able to do is all the accounts
shown in one portfolio, which since there are different
investment goals and time horizons is pretty meaningless.
Also wonder if anyone knows if you can override the asset
allocation tool and input your own allocation,
specifically, different target allocations for each
portfolio, and whether you can add additional asset
classes.  many thanks.
0
avaughan (2)
7/29/2003 9:53:13 PM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

Thanks for the quick reply.  We have both short-term
investments and some long-term/retirement stuff (in
several accounts at different institutions.  Because the
time horizons are very different (5-10 yrs. vs. 30) I have
different target asset allocations I track to. Also, the
first group is taxable, where the other is tax-deferred,
so it would be preferable to keep them separate for that
reason as well.  What I'd ideally like is to be able to
have at least 2 portfolios in the same Money setup; each
capable of linking to accounts I specify at one or more
institutions; and to have the ability to get updated
portfolio values and asset allocations on each. Maybe not
possible in Money?

multiple portfolios, you
>can just go to File|New and create a separate data file.
Since relatively
>little is done relative to different investment goals and
time horizons with
>the one portfolio per file, I'm not clear what you would
gain from two data
>files with two portfolios.
>
>What you've seen on asset allocation is pretty much what
there is. It's
>better than nothing and good enough for people who's
other choice was
>nothing but not much better than that.
>
>"A. Vaughan" <avaughan@stonebr.com> wrote in message
>> I am testing a trial version of Money 2004 before
buying.
>> I'd like to find out from someone if Money allows you to
>> set up multiple portfolios with different investment
>> accounts - all I've been able to do is all the accounts
>> shown in one portfolio, which since there are different
>> investment goals and time horizons is pretty
meaningless.
>> Also wonder if anyone knows if you can override the
asset
>> allocation tool and input your own allocation,
>> specifically, different target allocations for each
>> portfolio, and whether you can add additional asset
>> classes.  many thanks.
>

>.

0
avaughan (2)
7/29/2003 10:51:41 PM
You can set specific investment accounts as tax-deferred. You can also
control which accounts are used in figuring the lifetime plan and the
budget. Asset allocation vs. different models you would have to do by hand,
but you can get the asset allocation (within the limits of what Money can do
which is somewhat limited--"Mutual Fund" as an asset class) by account, if
that helps. Beyond that Money treats all investments in a data file as a
single portfolio.

> Thanks for the quick reply.  We have both short-term
> investments and some long-term/retirement stuff (in
> several accounts at different institutions.  Because the
> time horizons are very different (5-10 yrs. vs. 30) I have
> different target asset allocations I track to. Also, the
> first group is taxable, where the other is tax-deferred,
> so it would be preferable to keep them separate for that
> reason as well.  What I'd ideally like is to be able to
> have at least 2 portfolios in the same Money setup; each
> capable of linking to accounts I specify at one or more
> institutions; and to have the ability to get updated
> portfolio values and asset allocations on each. Maybe not
> possible in Money?

Sometimes it would be nice to be able to link two accounts.....for example
if you trade the same shares through two different brokers Money won't do
the Capital Gains tax calculation correctly. It treats them as two seperate
holdings which is incorrect.

Colin

In microsoft.public.money, CWatters wrote:

>Sometimes it would be nice to be able to link two accounts.....for example
>if you trade the same shares through two different brokers Money won't do
>the Capital Gains tax calculation correctly. It treats them as two seperate
>holdings which is incorrect.

Trade the same shares? If they are in different accounts, are they
not different shares of the same stock?

In the US, capital gains are tracked to specific shares for stocks.
For funds there are some averaging options for shares held in the
same account.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
7/30/2003 5:10:22 PM
In microsoft.public.money, CWatters wrote:

>"Cal Learner-- MVP" <via_newsgroup@please.tnx> wrote in message
>> In microsoft.public.money, CWatters wrote:
>>
>> >Sometimes it would be nice to be able to link two accounts.....for
>example
>> >if you trade the same shares through two different brokers Money won't do
>> >the Capital Gains tax calculation correctly. It treats them as two
>seperate
>> >holdings which is incorrect.
>>
>> Trade the same shares? If they are in different accounts, are they
>> not different shares of the same stock?
>
>Yes that's what I mean.

I see the problem for UK if you hold the same security at more than
one broker. I infer that if you hold shares in different taxable
accounts are combined for basis purpose in the UK. Originally I had
thought you were wanting to link them for analysis purposes.

Try this in Money 2003: Transfer the shares to be sold out of the
account where they are held to the account where they are to sold.
Then transfer the non-sold shares from that account back (with their
basis intact) to the account that transferred out the sold shares.
Brrrr. The basis should track with the transferred shares in Money
2003 (not earlier), but it seems confusing. Should work though.

I think the complexity would be enough to cause me to not hold the
same security in two accounts. Like the US wash sale rule: I avoid
the issue by not re-buying a stock I sold at a loss for the next
thirty days and not selling a part of a position at a loss for
thirty days after a buy. It loses flexibility, but simplifies
things. It's not as if I am a trader. Of course the proper answer
would be for the UK version of Money to handle the UK rules.

The Canadians have different rules: they average the basis for all
shares in a given investment across accounts without regard to when
the shares were bought. And Canadian Money does that if Windows is
set up for Canadian geography. The rub for them occurs when two
people with separate basis accounting share a Money file.

>> In the US, capital gains are tracked to specific shares for stocks.
>> For funds there are some averaging options for shares held in the
>> same account.
>
>No "lot matching" then? (eg in the UK you need to apply "last in-first out"
>for capital gains tax)

From what I have read, the  "last in-first out"  is a simplified
description.

You can identify lots within an account. The UK version apparently
does not, as you would hope, automatically follow the UK rule set,
but it does permit users to select specific lots within the same
account for matching by  the rules.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
 > Try this in Money 2003: Transfer the shares to be sold out of the
> account where they are held to the account where they are to sold.
> Then transfer the non-sold shares from that account back (with their
> basis intact) to the account that transferred out the sold shares.
> Brrrr. The basis should track with the transferred shares in Money
> 2003 (not earlier), but it seems confusing. Should work though.

Unfortunately thats way too complex to risk. I've got many stocks like this
and several have had rights issues and demergers since I purchased them.

> I think the complexity would be enough to cause me to not hold the
> same security in two accounts.

Yup. Unfortunately these are managed accounts. If I told one manager not to
buy a stock it would give him problems as to him the  portfolio would look
unbalanced.

> You can identify lots within an account. The UK version apparently
> does not, as you would hope, automatically follow the UK rule set,
> but it does permit users to select specific lots within the same
> account for matching by  the rules.

Yes it works fine if you just have one account.

To be honest I don't think MS could keep up with all the worlds tax rules
and their changes - but I wish the tax authorities would release their own
S/W. After all if they can write down the tax rules in english why can't
they do it in C?