MSN Explorer using Money file on hard drive?

I am a computer consultant and was hired by a new client this past week to
solve his Money issues.  I am a little bewildered by what I have seen.

Point by point...

1.  He and said that things he entered were "not sticking".  He is VERY
elderly and not that savvy with PCs, so I took this with a grain of
salt...BUT...

2.  He is using MSN Explorer to manage his portfolio, so I thought it was
all online.

3.  Upon looking at his portfolio and then closing MSN Explorer, we got a
message on the screen that his "file was being compressed".  That sent up a
big red flag to me that there was a file on the local hard drive.

4.  Looked in My Docs, and there are over 350 MS Money files and over 350
Money backup files.  Each appears to be created when he is opening MSN
Explorer portfolio....so it appears MSN Explorer is displaying part of the
Money file in their web interface (clunky, eh?).

5.  The password to open the Money file doesn't match his user/pass to log
into MSN Explorer.

6.  I bought a password cracker, and it "found" the same password twice by
using a brute force attack, but no luck...the Money file still says it is
the wrong password.

Any ideas about the interaction of these programs?  All help is greatly
appreciated!

BP

money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

In microsoft.public.money, Bailey's Dad wrote:

>I am a computer consultant and was hired by a new client this past week to
>solve his Money issues.  I am a little bewildered by what I have seen.
>
>Point by point...
>
>1.  He and said that things he entered were "not sticking".  He is VERY
>elderly and not that savvy with PCs, so I took this with a grain of
>salt...BUT...
>
>2.  He is using MSN Explorer to manage his portfolio, so I thought it was
>all online.

There was some significant change in the operation a while back.
There is now some commonality.

I am not clear on the interactions, and I prefer to use the
Microsoft Money program for most purposes.

>3.  Upon looking at his portfolio and then closing MSN Explorer, we got a
>message on the screen that his "file was being compressed".  That sent up a
>big red flag to me that there was a file on the local hard drive.
>
>4.  Looked in My Docs, and there are over 350 MS Money files and over 350
>Money backup files.  Each appears to be created when he is opening MSN
>Explorer portfolio....so it appears MSN Explorer is displaying part of the
>Money file in their web interface (clunky, eh?).

I guess so, in that you would think there would have been some
purging.

Those "my portfolio*.mny" are actually openable by a new-enough
Microsoft Money. My preference would be to copy the selected file to
a new *.mny name, and opening it with Microsoft Money.

>5.  The password to open the Money file doesn't match his user/pass to log
>into MSN Explorer.

Open it in Microsoft Money? That could happen if the version of
Money was not as new or newer than the file you are trying to open.

The password/Passport/WindowsLiveID is in the form of an email
address as the name, and then a password.

>6.  I bought a password cracker, and it "found" the same password twice by
>using a brute force attack, but no luck...the Money file still says it is
>the wrong password.
>
>Any ideas about the interaction of these programs?  All help is greatly
>appreciated!

I am not going to try to describe my weak understanding of the
relationship. It is my understanding that is weak, not the
relationship. If you are unsuccessfully trying to access the data, I
might have an idea or so for you. If you have a different operative
objective, perhaps somebody could help with that.

>BP
0
via_newsgroup (13114)
7/23/2006 10:53:49 PM
In microsoft.public.money, Bailey's Dad wrote:

>I am a computer consultant and was hired by a new client this past week to
>solve his Money issues.  I am a little bewildered by what I have seen.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/272645 may have some useful info.
0
via_newsgroup (13114)
7/23/2006 11:16:09 PM
In addition to that KB article reference the "Common Questions" link in the
Portfolio issue at the Network Status page:
http://moneycentral.msn.com/common/networkstatus.asp

-Mark
> In microsoft.public.money, Bailey's Dad wrote:
>
> >I am a computer consultant and was hired by a new client this past week
> >solve his Money issues.  I am a little bewildered by what I have seen.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/272645 may have some useful info.

0
abcd7779 (838)

How do I use outlook w/o email?
I have a new PDA/Phone and am new to Outlook. I want to use the PDA for contacts, calendar, and tasks, but do NOT want to use email with the PDA. Can I sync from outlook without having to use email? If so, how do i set it up. I am having a lot of problems and am not familiar with Outlook. I have 2003. JAM0507 <JAM0507@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a new PDA/Phone and am new to Outlook. I want to use the PDA > for contacts, calendar, and tasks, but do NOT want to use email with > the PDA. Can I sync from outlook without having to use email? Certainly. &...

Reading a 2007 .PST file with 2002 Outlook?
I left my job which was using 2007 Outlook and before I left they exported my contatcs to a 2007 .PST file. I have no access to a 2007 version of Outlook. My personal machine is using 2002 Outlook and when I try to import my .PST file I get the following not compatible with this version of the personal folders information service. How can I resolve this? Thanks Hi ???, you will need Outlook 2003 or 2007 to open a "unicode" PST file. Unicode is the "new" format for Outlook 2003 and 2007 PST file. You can not read a "unicode" PST file with older Outlook versi...

Windows Explorer folders open "very slowly"
Hello NG I'm sorry for this off-topic article, but I think this group has a lot of experts even in this field. After visiting "hacker" sites my computer behaves very bad. If I doubleclick a folder on the desktop it takes 10 seconds to respond. The system tries to do something via internet meanwhile, because if I uplug the network cable, the folders open immediately. It must be some virus which has altered some settings and did other bad things to my system. Has anyone experience with this kind of symptoms? Thanx Richie Stop visiting "hacker" sites. :) AliR. "...

Excel Data Validation Combo box using Named Ranges
Hello, I am trying to follow the directions from... http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal11.html using office 2007 but nothing I'm doing is working! I enabled the developer tab and followed everything down to a tee but no luck. I finally downloaded the sample and even it doesn't work the way its supposed to! Looked at the code and it says option explicit at the very top. I do not know VB but im guessing the code isn't working right. Does anyone know how to do this or a site listing instructions for office 2007? Tried doing searches for this but it seems like every...

How can run an Excel macro program using DOS command?
I want to run an Excel macro program using batch job but I don't know what the DOS command is? Put the code in the Workbook_Open procedure of some workbook and use the DOS command to open the workbook. However, do be aware that depending on your security settings, XL may not enable the code at all or it might display a "this file contains macros" warning dialog box that will require human intervention. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <155ca01c41ae9$b4b37b20...

what is the use of this #2
hi iam from kurnool iam new for micro soft office Why don't you just look around a bit before posting thread after thread with the same (or similar) question? You may figure out your answer. Barb Reinhardt "very good" wrote: > hi iam from kurnool iam new for micro soft office ...

Using (1), (2), (3), etc. in Risks and Issues Category values?
Do most of you use numbers, like (1), (2), (3), to define Category values for Risks and Issues to keep it "the same" as the out-of-the- box values for Status? Just curious. Thanks Andy Novak UNT Andy, I have used both with numbers and without for projects, based on the clients maturity. I would suggest if you want to make it as easy as possible to differentiate between the different risk and issues categories, put the number in, it makes it much easier to see. Alex. On Feb 20, 8:48=A0am, "ano...@unt.edu" <ano...@unt.edu> wrote: > Do most of y...

Can Recovery Storage Groups be used if original server gone?
We had an Exchange server die on us a few months back due to hardware issues. All accounts were moved to another box and that one was flattened and taken out of the Exchange org. It was replaced by new hardware that does NOT have the storage groups or databases that the old one did. We have a request to recover data from an info store back up prior to the events above and are running into problems with our backup vendor. Would it be possible to use a Recovery Storage Group to retrieve this data? The mailbox still exists (but may have been moved via Exmerge) so I believe I will pas...

How to use first row of delimited file for field names when importing ?
Hi, I have XP Office. I want to import a tab delimited file into excel. I want to use the first row of the delimited file for field names. I thought there's an option for excel to do this during an import. But I see no option for this. How is this done? Thanks. Can't you just insert a row at the top of the worksheet when the import is complete? -- Jim Cone Portland, Oregon USA http://www.mediafire.com/PrimitiveSoftware . (List Files XL add-in: finds and lists files/folders with hyperlinks) . "goldtech" <goldtech@worldpost.com> wrote in message news:75bcd914...

Pivot Table
Is it possible to change the colors of the data when you drill down (double clicking on a cell) into a pivot table? For instance, when I do it now, the source data appears with the header row in a very light blue, and its underlined. That light blue is just too light for my eyes. I'd like to change it. Is this something that I inadvertently setup? or is it an Excel default? Thanks, Graeme I don't know of any way to change the default settings. However, after the sheet has been created, you can choose Format>AutoFormat, and choose a format that you prefer. WyoCracker wrote...

DBCS chars garbled in downloaded CSV file
We have an application which allows the download of reports in a CSV (Comma separated values) format. If the data contains DBCS characters, the characters do no display correctly when opened in ms excel. Any suggestions are welcome. thanx. ...

Money 2003 won't install
Haven't seen anything like this yet so here goes. Been running M2003 for a year, no problems. Upgraded computer and had all Microsoft software corrupted. (No one else) Have now formatted both drives, re-installed W98se, and tried to install Money 2003. Starts install process and quits. No error messages. Proper .MSI and SYSPack along with IE6 have been installed but haven't helped. Registry flushed between attempts. Same results with Project 2000 and Office 2000. No difficulties with any other software. Have upgraded to OpenOffice.org and a replacement for Project but I'd ...

How do I back-up my data files to a CD?
I cannot fine a back-up , and Help told me I had to download a backup tool. Is this necessary or can I do it another way? I am using Microsoft XP Outlook 2003. Locate your pst-file and burn it to CD when Outlook is closed. Also see; http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "LLark" <LLark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A036A862-7E72-4DBC-8F44-0AFEF903E54A@microsoft.co...

Converting files
I'm looking to convert a file from .pub to either .jpeg or .pdf...can anyone help? thanx Use Adobe Acrobat. (I know there are some lower cost options out there but I use the real thing.) You can save your file as a .gif, can't you? "Rick Alvarado" <ralvarado@kerncasa.org> wrote in message news:051801c37e2c$523b88c0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I'm looking to convert a file from .pub to either .jpeg > or .pdf...can anyone help? > > thanx Have a look at the following link: http://www.microsoft.com/office/using/column16.asp -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft ...

BMP file in OUTLOOK 2000
I used to be able to put a animated file in my Outlook2000 message. When a person received my message, the file would should up in the message. Now when I send the message, the file shows up as a attachment. Is their something else I need to do, or Out2000 change where you cannot do it anymore? Change your message format to HTML and choose Insert-> Picture to insert your gif-file -- Roady [MVP] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Creating Signatures -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "bdowns" <bdowns@one.net> wrote in message new...

To read the files from a particular folder
Hi, I want to read some file names within a particular folder . How do i do it.Is there any API for that. "lucky" <Laxmanmaruthy@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I want to read some file names within a particular folder . How do i do >it.Is there any API for that. You want to browse through the files in a folder? Look at the CFileFind class (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vcmfc98/html/_mfc_Class_Library_Reference_Introduction.asp) -- Tim Slattery MS MVP(DTS) Slattery_T@bls.gov http://members.cox.net/slatteryt ...

Issues with linking to exported source files
We recently loaded excel 2007 onto my PC at work, but kept excel 03 on it as the default program since the rest of the company still uses excel 03. I noticed that now my links do not work. Most of my excel reporting is done as a shell summary workbook that links to multiple source files that have been exported from our database interface. (These can be exported as .xls or ..xl5) Before loading in 07, all of my source files were exported as .xls and worked fine. Now, even though I've totally removed excel 07 from my pc and unistalled/ reinstalled 03, the links will not ...

Microsoft Money 2004 Deluxe
I hope someone has a hot fix for this. I am seriously considering upgrading to Money 2007 but right now I am concerned that I will have the same problem. Here goes: In "Your portfolio" 1.) Click "Add an investment" on the left sidebar. 2.) Click "Investments to Watch" in the "New Investment" popup, then next. 3.) Click "Add an Index" radio button in the next popup, then next. 4.) The "Add New Index" is blank and has always been so. Any suggestions? Would I still have the same problem if I upgraded? I run WIN XP. TIA R...

External Hard Drives
I have been advised that it might be more advantageous for me to back up my files on an external hard drive instead of on 5 or 6 DVD's. How do I go about determining the capacity, quality and type of hardware needed? Can someone point me in the right direction/ Many Thanks! Most systems have USB ports.......buy an External HD in a case with a USB connection. The amount of Data that you back up determines the size of the drive.......or just buy the largest you can afford. peter -- If you find a posting or message from me offensive,inappropriate or disruptive,ple...

Backing up Outlook files #4
I want to back up my Outlook Contacts, calendar, and various mail folders, inbox etc. Where do I find them and how do I know I have saved the right ones. Dermot, you wrote on Mon, 27 Mar 2006 07:50:57 -0500: > I want to back up my Outlook Contacts, calendar, and various mail folders, > inbox etc. > Where do I find them and how do I know I have saved the right ones. http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm -- Best Regards Christian Goeller ...

sync of large excel files will not completly transfer
When I transfer a large excel spreed sheet not all the file will transfer over. I thought that it might be related to the size of the memory however it will not copy directly on to a 1 gig memory card either. Is there a setting that is limiting the size of the file? any ideas would be appreicated. -- Thank you ! ...

is there a dos command that works like xcopy but compares file sizes or last modified dates?
I use xcopy to backup large amounts of data from three different parent folders to a 2nd hdd. It works great, but I would like to use a more efficient method of only backing up files that are a different size, have a different last modified date, or don't already exist, so no files that haven't been modified since the last backup will be copied again. Is there a DOS command similar to XCopy that will allow me to do this? I like using DOS commands because they are fast. On 9/3/2010 3:36 PM, Mike S wrote: > I use xcopy to backup large amounts of data from three differen...

Cannot Output .MDI Files
I cannot seem to find a solution yet even after searching the web. I am able to view .tif and .mdi files through the Microsoft Office Document Image Viewer. I am able to output a .tif file when I have the printing preferences setup to that. However, when I try to output a .mdi file, Office asks where to save as, it then spools, but then disappears. It doesn't save on the desktop (or other folders selected). Do you know where the issue is? ...

Money 2004 Premium (International) version
Would somebody pls kindly let me know if the trial/ paid version of the Money 2004 Premium version could update the price of stocks traded in Hong Kong? If so, could you pls let me know how? Many Thanks! Look at MSN Money, I don;t think it can. The countries listed are Australia, Belgium, Canada, France, Italy, Germany, Great Britain, Japan, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden and United States -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your wishes or suggestions, use http://re...

Debt Reduction Planner
For some reason whenever I try to set up the debt reduction planner it always attempts to pay off the entire debt in the very first month. I set the payment amount I want and set the one time payment to $0, but it doesn't seem to matter. How can I resolve this? This has been a long time problem with Money and I would really appreciate some help resolving this. Thanks, James. ...