MS+Premium-Advanced Budget Category Not Found

I originally sent MSM support this question and they replied with only a
partial answer but I couldn't reply to their email and they gave no direct
link to respond so am trying here:
Problem: I have a number of transactions in the banking section with the
drop down category being "Legal Fees" (which I believe is a standard MSM
category?) but when I try to add that category it to the advanced budget via
Edit Budget/Add/"Add a category to a budget group from the list below" -
"Legal Fees"  does not appear in the drop down select box.

And then when I try to add it as a category via "Create New Category"  I get
the mssg "That name is already being used for an existing category or
abbreviation. Enter new name etc"

Anyone know what I am missing?

0
TerryGH (5)
5/5/2009 1:32:01 AM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

It's not obvious.

Are you using Advanced Registers? If not, do.

And what do you see in Account List | Categories & Payees | Categories??

"TerryGH" <TerryGH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Problem: I have a number of transactions in the banking section with the
> drop down category being "Legal Fees" (which I believe is a standard MSM
> category?) but when I try to add that category it to the advanced budget
> via
> Edit Budget/Add/"Add a category to a budget group from the list below" -
> "Legal Fees"  does not appear in the drop down select box.
>
> And then when I try to add it as a category via "Create New Category"  I
> get
> the mssg "That name is already being used for an existing category or
> abbreviation. Enter new name etc"

Dick -- I'm not sure what you mean by "advanced registers"  -- I just checked
the tool/bill settings and it says I am using Advanced Bills.  Is that what
you are referring to?

And in Account List I don't see what you are as "Categories & Payees" on the
left side or obviously in the list of bank, credit etc accounts.

Thanks for trying to help ....

"Dick Watson" wrote:

> It's not obvious.
>
> Are you using Advanced Registers? If not, do.
>
> And what do you see in Account List | Categories & Payees | Categories??

0
TerryGH (5)
5/5/2009 3:30:01 AM
Re: Categories

See if this helps, if not, go to help and look for info on Categories.

Start Money.

On the navigation bar, click Accounts & Bills, and then click Categories &
Payees.

In the left pane, click Categories.

To add a new category, click New under Set up your categories, and then
follow the instructions that appear on the screen.

| Dick -- I'm not sure what you mean by "advanced registers"  -- I just
checked
| the tool/bill settings and it says I am using Advanced Bills.  Is that
what
| you are referring to?
|
| And in Account List I don't see what you are as "Categories & Payees" on
the
| left side or obviously in the list of bank, credit etc accounts.
|
| Thanks for trying to help ....
|
| "Dick Watson" wrote:
|
| > It's not obvious.
| >
| > Are you using Advanced Registers? If not, do.
| >
| > And what do you see in Account List | Categories & Payees | Categories??

Just like Advanced Bills, there is a setting for Advanced Registers. Tools |
Settings | Account Settings (global) | Display all accounts in the Advanced
Account Register. Not sure it's the source of your issue, but I never use
"Essential Register" so if I'm trying to help someone it gets in the way.

When you see "Categories & Payees" on the left side or obviously in the list
of bank, credit etc accounts, click on it. Then click on "Categories" From
there you have total control over Categories. You can see exactly what Money
thinks is setup and you can add, delete, rename, and reorganize them. But
you can't change Budget Groups.

"TerryGH" <TerryGH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm not sure what you mean by "advanced registers"  -- I just checked
> the tool/bill settings and it says I am using Advanced Bills.  Is that
> what
> you are referring to?
>
> And in Account List I don't see what you are as "Categories & Payees" on
> the
> left side or obviously in the list of bank, credit etc accounts.

Thanks Dick & Ken -- I finally found "Categories & Payees" via the left
(navigation?) pane Account List | More| and then it was easy to see the
source of my problem being that "Legal Fees" is a Business "Category Group"
and for some reason the advanced budget does not include that category and I
didn't see a way in the Edit Budget area to add it to the budget.  My
workaround was to create a new category "Legal Fees-Personal" and modified
the the two expense transactions so they now show up under "Misc Exp" in the
budget.

The main reason I have never seen this before is that I've been using MSN
since the late 90s and I originally created my own business expense
categories to organize things for my taxes.  And since the created biz
categories can be added to the budget I will probably leave things as they
are for now, but am most interested in understanding first if MSN standard
Business Category items can be added to the budget in MSM+Premium, and then
perhaps if there is a thread here to look at to explore re-categorizing my
old biz exp. items going forward,

Thanks again to you both.... TGH

"Dick Watson" wrote:

> Just like Advanced Bills, there is a setting for Advanced Registers. Tools |
> Settings | Account Settings (global) | Display all accounts in the Advanced
> Account Register. Not sure it's the source of your issue, but I never use
> "Essential Register" so if I'm trying to help someone it gets in the way.
>
> When you see "Categories & Payees" on the left side or obviously in the list
> of bank, credit etc accounts, click on it. Then click on "Categories" From
> there you have total control over Categories. You can see exactly what Money
> thinks is setup and you can add, delete, rename, and reorganize them. But
> you can't change Budget Groups.
>
> "TerryGH" <TerryGH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm not sure what you mean by "advanced registers"  -- I just checked
> > the tool/bill settings and it says I am using Advanced Bills.  Is that
> > what
> > you are referring to?
> >
> > And in Account List I don't see what you are as "Categories & Payees" on
> > the
> > left side or obviously in the list of bank, credit etc accounts.

0
TerryGH (5)
5/5/2009 2:48:04 PM
In microsoft.public.money, TerryGH wrote:

> and then
>perhaps if there is a thread here to look at to explore re-categorizing my
>old biz exp. items going forward,

If you do get into re-categorizing, you might find
Tools->FindAndReplace to be useful. Consider experimenting with a
copy of your file.
0
via_newsgroup (13114)
5/5/2009 2:54:11 PM
Thanks for the idea, Cal -- but am thinking now is it even worth considering
since the standard Business Categories won't show up in the budget? As a test
I entered a dummy transaction in banking categorized as "Business Meals"
(which should be a Business Category Group right?) but I don't see how to add
it to the budget.

"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:

> In microsoft.public.money, TerryGH wrote:
>
> > and then
> >perhaps if there is a thread here to look at to explore re-categorizing my
> >old biz exp. items going forward,
>
> If you do get into re-categorizing, you might find
> Tools->FindAndReplace to be useful. Consider experimenting with a
> copy of your file.

0
TerryGH (5)
5/5/2009 4:36:04 PM
In microsoft.public.money, TerryGH wrote:

>Thanks for the idea, Cal -- but am thinking now is it even worth considering
>since the standard Business Categories won't show up in the budget? As a test
>I entered a dummy transaction in banking categorized as "Business Meals"
>(which should be a Business Category Group right?) but I don't see how to add
>it to the budget.

I don't use the business version. But I remember people posting that
the business categories can not be put into the budget.

No, I don't know why that would be. I don't use budgets either. If
did, I have a non-business non-government view of budgets -- that a
budget should be an attempted upper limit rather than a target. To
my non-business non-government view, seriously under budget is good.

>"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:
>
>> In microsoft.public.money, TerryGH wrote:
>>
>> > and then
>> >perhaps if there is a thread here to look at to explore re-categorizing my
>> >old biz exp. items going forward,
>>
>> If you do get into re-categorizing, you might find
>> Tools->FindAndReplace to be useful. Consider experimenting with a
>> copy of your file.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)

'advanced filter/unique values only' inaccurate counts
i often have to use filters to reduce a column of numbers to just it's unique values. simple enough, but unfortunately excel's advanced filter doesn't always do the job and leaves out values or just doesn't filter correctly. i'm hoping there's a simple explanation for this and the filter can be made more reliable. any thoughts? The filters are reliable, so there may be a problem with the data. For example, a space at the end of a text string can cause two cells that look the same to be extracted by the filter. Perhaps you can give an example of what's left out, ...

60 GB IPOD deal found
I just completed this offer for a 60 gb photo ipod and it is awesome! My friend got one from it and he is waving it in my face and taunting me! Anyways, all you have to do is complete a promotion offer and cancel it before the 30 days trial is up and then get 8 referrals. I recommend doing the rhapsody promotion because it is only $0.99 and you get instant credit towards your ipod and 5 free song downloads. It is so cool. Check it out. http://www.freephotoiPods.com/?r=21360900 ...

Categories in Mirosoft outlook
Suddenly most of my categories in Mocrosoft oulook calendar have disappeared. how can I redtore them? Only the ones that start with the letters A and B are displayed. The probability is very high that if you went back to the online user interface that brought you here, but continued to scroll, you'd find multiple Microsoft-sponsored newsgroups for which Outlook is the subject. This one, easy to reach if you aren't being careful, is for questions, answers, and discussions about Microsoft Access database software. And, while some of us use Outlook, most of us aren't prepar...

My password don't work on my MS Money 2004 Business edition
Hi everyone, I am panicing.My Microsoft Money Small Business Edition password is not working. Somehow my password changed. All my business data and personal financial data is on there and i don't know what to do. About two days my password does not work. I did not change anything. I wanted to print an invoice and it wouldn't allow me to. It would not allow me to go further without a password. Is there a solution to this problem or I am just doomed. Please do a search... if you did a very little superficial search, you will notice MANY people having the same problem. >-----Or...

merging MS Publisher files
I have a document of several chapters, each of which is a separate MS Publisher file. I'd like now to make them all into one file. Can I do this easily, or must I insert new pages and cut and paste the content of each new page? Thanks Peter You must insert new pages and copy and paste the text over. You can have as many instances of Publisher open at once up to the resources of your computer, so that does help matters. -- After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from Paxo <mrpaxo@yahoo.com>... > I have a document of several chapters, each of w...

Has anyone converted an MS Access VBA project to .Net?
I am looking for any information regarding the conversion of an MS Access VBA project with backend of Oracle to either Visual Basic or VB.Net. Has anyone done any conversion like this and if so, do they have any recommendations, issues to share? Thanks! ...

new to pub
I am just beginning to try pub. book in software box is minimal Have a ms access report of name/addr - phone book style I need to put this member phone book report into a yearbook in pub can I bring in my ms access report? how?? if not, what about as a mail merge? if not, then how - without having to retype all those names, addr, ph,etc thanks for any help ann in dallas You are better exporting the information from Access to CSV (Comma Separated Value) and use the CSV file with Publisher. That is the only reliable and functional way. I cannot understand people that use such a disgusting...

60 day free MS Office 2007 installation issues
until I receive my new copy of MS Office 2007 I want to use the free 60 day trial but when I try and register the trial key I get a error message that says a communication error has occured try again later??? I need this now and it has been giving me this error all day? HELP!! Was the Trial preinstalled or did you download it from MS? Did you purchase Office on line, and are using the key mailed to you? "HollyZ27" <HollyZ27@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8D287919-F72A-467F-8018-8C0C2063275F@microsoft.com... > until I receive my new co...

Questions on ms dropTarget and vc debuger,need your help
Near days, my vc6 even can't debug CView::function(), or atoi() funcions, pls tell me why. another question, the COle if (!ms_dropTarget.Register((CWnd*)this))//meet error, for the first reason, i don't know what happened. thanks first! -------------------------------------------------------------- ide: vc6.0 with sp6 os: windows 2000 with sp4 debug symbols: windows 2000 debug symbols downloaded from ms web. ...

Outlook XP to Outlook Vista Home Premium
I have my old outlook stored on an external HDD as my old computer died. The new computer has Vista, but when I try to retrieve the old email from the E drive, I get stuck. Can someone help me with the steps to retrieve the old emails? Thank you very much! ...

editing budgets from a managed scheduled deposit
I have added my salary into the 'managed scheduled deposit' section giving details as 'every other week'. The budget, however, under the heading of 'review your current budget status' shows double the actuals amount. (That is the budget shows an incorrect amount compared to the actuals forecasted in the scheduled deposit page). If I select "Wages and Salary : Gross Pay" and click on 'edit item' at the bottom of the page, the pop-up window asks me what to edit. When I click on the the down arrow, the salary account shows three transaction re...

Change the font of Category Axis
I want to change the font Size of the category Axis. I require the VBA Code to do that as the default font is too large and so not every thing can be seen Thanks in advance Chirag Easiest way to get the VBA syntax for something is to turn on the recorder while you do that task. Depending what you meant by category axis, you want one of these: ActiveChart.Axes(xlCategory).AxisTitle.Font.Size = 8 ActiveChart.Axes(xlCategory).TickLabels.Font.Size = 8 - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ ____...

ms office 2004 power point
Does anyone else having trouble sending power point presentations in an attachment to a pc? delwald <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Does anyone else having trouble sending power point presentations in an > attachment to a pc? Nope. Any specific problem you'd be experiencing ?? Make sure you don;t includ Mac specific media in the presentations though (eg PICT or .mov). Corentin -- --- Mac:MS MVP (Francophone) --- http://www.mvps.org - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com MVPs are not MS employees - Les MVP...

MS Money
I thought I had read and saved all the pertinent info on the discontinuance of MSMoney, but after re-reading what I had saved, I am still not sure that if you don't have Money Plus, there is a "Sunset" download for me. Is that right? Do only the [2] Plus version owners have the option of downloading a "Sunset" version? I have a 2006 regular or standard MSMoney version, which I never used for online activities, but would still like to use for record keeping. Will it no longer work for me locally on my pc after year's end? bj In microsoft.public.money, ch...

Converting Money 2006 Business to Money Plus Premium
Last year I installed the Home & Business version of Money, but have found I do not really use the business features. I may begin to use the Accounting software. Will my present money file convert ok if I go back to using the Premium version for my personal finances? Thank you in advance. In microsoft.public.money, NaStein wrote: >Last year I installed the Home & Business version of Money, but have found I >do not really use the business features. I may begin to use the Accounting >software. Will my present money file convert ok if I go back to using the >Prem...

Outlook wont send to MS Exchange Distribution Groups
I have a machine that will not let the user send internal mail to any of our Distribution Groups on the Exchange Server (Exchange 2000). She can send it to an individual, or a group of individuals, but not to a specified group. I have re-installed the exchange client (Outlook 2003), and nothing still. She gets a 550 User Unknown error. I am not sure if this is a client issue (seems like it should be), or an issue with the Exchange Server itself (but it does not happen on other machines). Also, we have been experiencing alot of latency with our internal mail. Any help would be apprici...

Has anyone run into this situation where the user clicks on the "Advanced Search" button and nothing happens. Usually it would allow the user to do Advanced Search options, but no longer. The end stated that this problem just started happening a week ago. She said nothing new has been added to the computer. It doesn't appear to be greyed out, but no longer allows the option for Advanced Search. I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks. There seemed to be a couple of potential problems which resolved this problem. First, I added the IP Address of our CRM server wi...

Budget Is Losing an Account
I have been using Money almost since it first came out, but I have run across an issue I haven't heard about. Maybe some of you have. When I lay out my budget, Money keeps putting one of my credit card accounts in a category of "Transfers out of budget accounts." What it puts into this category is the payments I project in the bills and deposits view for charges on that card. I can get rid of it by changing the projected entry I have for that card to $0. I don't guess that would be the end of the world, but I'm not getting that behavior in the other credit card acco...

MS Office #2
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I have Student Teacher version 2008. I have MS Office installed on three different MAC's with three individual codes (Allows for three installs). When MS Office is running on my wife's MAC Book, and I run it my iMAC, I get an error message that I'm exceeding the licenses. I'm not. How do I get this to stop?? ...

ol 2000 advance search malfunction
due to virus problem, my office computer has to format and re-installed. OL2000 imo mode (sp3), windows ME. i found a problem now it is different with before. when i do the advance search/find, it is not working. but during in preview pane, i click the "find" it is working. any idea? ...

Category Axis Labels
Thanks in advance for any help. I'm using Excel 2002 At step 2 of 4 of the chart wizard, you can go to the "Category (X) axis labels" box and select a range of cells to be used as the labels for the ticks on the x-axis of your chart. But I've noticed that, if there are duplicate values in this range, the wizard will only select one row of data for every unique value. My data consists of measurements taken over the course of several weeks. I want to plot the changes in measurements over time. The x-axis is time. Unfortunately, those who made the measurements didn't r...

MS "Query", MS Excel not playing nicely
Using Excel 2000 (9.0.2720), Clicking Data, Get External Data, New Database Query. Not working. Says, "Waiting for data to be returned from Microsoft Query" in the status bar, then pops up a dialog that says, "Microsoft Query could not be started because it isn't installed. You can install Query by running the installation programyou used to install Office or Excel. The Query option is in the Office Tools category." But I *DID* install Query!!! If I set MS Query (in Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, MS Office) to "install on 1st use", then Excel knows it n...

VSTO and MS CRM
Does anyone have any good tutorials for getting started with Word and CRM integration? In particular, I haven't been able to find anything on how to pass information between the two - there's a lot of information on customization of both VSTO and CRM independently, but not a lot in the way of customizing the two to play nice with each other. I'm mainly looking for web references where possible. I have not seen anything specifically talking about integration between word and and crm using vsto. what scenario are you think about building? ============================== John O&...

MS CRM DATABASE
HEY I HAVE A DOUBT REGARDING MS CRM DATABASE? CAN V HAVE MULTIPLE COMPANY IN A SINGLE DATABASE OR HAVE ONLY ONE COMPANY FOR A DATABASE AND ALSO CAN V HAVE TWO DATABASE IN A MS CRM PLEASE ADDRESS THIS ISSUE REGARDS VINODPRASANTH CALIFORNIA SOFTWARE COMPANY ...

file associations messed up in Vista Home Premium
Some how my file associations in Windows Vista got messed up. The program icon that appears to be MS Front Page 2003 does not open Front Page. When I try to associate Front Page with html and htm files, it open Internet Explorer and not Front Page. I have tried to manually associate Front Page with the appropriate programs but it will not take even going through the start, default programs. I have uninstalled Front Page 2003 [which is a stand alone protram. I also have Office 2003 as a stand alone suite.] and reinstalled it. Still can't associate files with Front Pa...