Moving Money 2000 to new computer needs password

Hi -

   I received a new computer and I am moving all of me software from the old
one before I get rid of it.  I installed the copy of Money 2000 that I had on
the old computer.  When I copy my msmoney.mny file to the new computer and
attemt to open it, it says I need to enter the password for the file.
Problem is, I never created a password for it, so I can open the file.  Any
suggestions?
0
Wes (48)
7/28/2008 3:59:15 PM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

In microsoft.public.money, Wes wrote:

>Hi -
>
>   I received a new computer and I am moving all of me software from the old
>one before I get rid of it.  I installed the copy of Money 2000 that I had on
>the old computer.  When I copy my msmoney.mny file to the new computer and
>attemt to open it, it says I need to enter the password for the file.
>Problem is, I never created a password for it, so I can open the file.  Any
>suggestions?

That would typically mean that the *.mny or *.mbf file that you are
attempting to open is from a version newer than Money 2000.

You need a version at least as new from the same country.

Now if you find a *.mbf file, that would be a copy your old Money
2000 file that has been converted to a newer version. Note the date
on the file for a clue as to when that occurred and how fresh the
*.mn8 file would be should you choose to open that in Money 2000.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
7/28/2008 4:12:59 PM
   I am using the same CD to intall onto the new computer that I used to
install onto the old computer.  So, it's the same version.  I tried assining
a password to the file on the old computer, but it wouldn't recognize that
password on the new computer.

   The old computer has received updates, do you suppose that the one on the
new computer, which is fresh from the CD, is actually too old to be
compatable?

   On the old computer I have IE 6 and the new one has IE 7.  Could that
have anything to do with it?

"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:

> That would typically mean that the *.mny or *.mbf file that you are
> attempting to open is from a version newer than Money 2000.
>
> You need a version at least as new from the same country.
>
> Now if you find a *.mbf file, that would be a copy your old Money
> 2000 file that has been converted to a newer version. Note the date
> on the file for a clue as to when that occurred and how fresh the
> *.mn8 file would be should you choose to open that in Money 2000.

0
Wes (48)
7/28/2008 4:28:00 PM
In microsoft.public.money, Wes wrote:

>   I am using the same CD to intall onto the new computer that I used to
>install onto the old computer.  So, it's the same version.

So if you start Money on the old computer, what version does it say
it is when you do Help->About?

>  I tried assining
>a password to the file on the old computer, but it wouldn't recognize that
>password on the new computer.

If you install the Money Plus free trial onto a computer and try to
convert a copy of your old *.mny file, you could determine what the
actual version was based on the backup that Money automatically
leaves:
Ext  Version

*.m17 2008 plus
*.m16 2007
*.m15 2006
*.m14 2005
*.m12 2004
*.m11 2003
*.m10 2002
*.mn9 2001
*.mn8 2000

I expect that somebody with access to your computer upgraded at some
point...

>   The old computer has received updates, do you suppose that the one on the
>new computer, which is fresh from the CD, is actually too old to be
>compatable?

I understand the theory, but I don't think that would have been the
resulting error.

>   On the old computer I have IE 6 and the new one has IE 7.  Could that
>have anything to do with it?

I don't think so.

>"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:
>

>> That would typically mean that the *.mny or *.mbf file that you are
>> attempting to open is from a version newer than Money 2000.
>>
>> You need a version at least as new from the same country.
>>
>> Now if you find a *.mbf file, that would be a copy your old Money
>> 2000 file that has been converted to a newer version. Note the date
>> on the file for a clue as to when that occurred and how fresh the
>> *.mn8 file would be should you choose to open that in Money 2000.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
7/28/2008 4:51:36 PM
Thanks for your help.  Well, you hit it -- the old computer has Money 2002 --
Version 10.0.  The new computer has Money 2000 -- Version 8.0.  No idea how
that happened, but I guess it time to upgrade.

Thanks again for taking the time to help.

"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:

> In microsoft.public.money, Wes wrote:
>
> >   I am using the same CD to intall onto the new computer that I used to
> >install onto the old computer.  So, it's the same version.
>
> So if you start Money on the old computer, what version does it say
> it is when you do Help->About?
>
> >  I tried assining
> >a password to the file on the old computer, but it wouldn't recognize that
> >password on the new computer.
>
> If you install the Money Plus free trial onto a computer and try to
> convert a copy of your old *.mny file, you could determine what the
> actual version was based on the backup that Money automatically
> leaves:
> Ext  Version
>
> *.m17 2008 plus
> *.m16 2007
> *.m15 2006
> *.m14 2005
> *.m12 2004
> *.m11 2003
> *.m10 2002
> *.mn9 2001
> *.mn8 2000
>
> I expect that somebody with access to your computer upgraded at some
> point...
>

> >   The old computer has received updates, do you suppose that the one on the
> >new computer, which is fresh from the CD, is actually too old to be
> >compatable?
>
> I understand the theory, but I don't think that would have been the
> resulting error.
> >
> >   On the old computer I have IE 6 and the new one has IE 7.  Could that
> >have anything to do with it?
>
> I don't think so.
>

> >"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:
> >

> >> That would typically mean that the *.mny or *.mbf file that you are
> >> attempting to open is from a version newer than Money 2000.
> >>
> >> You need a version at least as new from the same country.
> >>
> >> Now if you find a *.mbf file, that would be a copy your old Money
> >> 2000 file that has been converted to a newer version. Note the date
> >> on the file for a clue as to when that occurred and how fresh the
> >> *.mn8 file would be should you choose to open that in Money 2000.

0
Wes (48)
7/28/2008 5:10:05 PM
Don't spend too much time wondering. Lots of people get here in the same
situation.

"Wes" wrote:

> No idea how
> that happened, but I guess it time to upgrade.
I posted a question on this site...I'm new and don't know how to find my
question or to see if I have any replies. Can anybody help?  I did check the
"notify me of replies button...
--
Carpe Diem!

"Dick Watson" wrote:

> Don't spend too much time wondering. Lots of people get here in the same
> situation.
>
> "Wes" wrote:
>
> > No idea how
> > that happened, but I guess it time to upgrade.
Wes,
I am having the same problem moving data from Money 2005 and would greatly
appreciate it if you learn how to solve this problem and could pass the
solution on to me
Thanking you in anticipation.
Max

"Wes" <Wes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi -
>
>   I received a new computer and I am moving all of me software from the
> old
> one before I get rid of it.  I installed the copy of Money 2000 that I had
> on
> the old computer.  When I copy my msmoney.mny file to the new computer and
> attemt to open it, it says I need to enter the password for the file.
> Problem is, I never created a password for it, so I can open the file.
> Any
> suggestions?

0
keemax (2)
7/29/2008 2:10:46 AM
Hi Max -

   Turned out that my old computer actually had Money 2002.  The CD that I
have is for Money 2000.  I installed this version on my new computer, but or
course, it can't read the file from a later version of Money.  As I said in
my last reply, I have no idea how the old computer got Money 2002, but there
it is.

   So, make sure that you are using the same, or later version of Money on
the destination computer.

"Max Baker" wrote:

> Wes,
> I am having the same problem moving data from Money 2005 and would greatly
> appreciate it if you learn how to solve this problem and could pass the
> solution on to me
> Thanking you in anticipation.
> Max
>

> "Wes" <Wes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi -
> >
> >   I received a new computer and I am moving all of me software from the
> > old
> > one before I get rid of it.  I installed the copy of Money 2000 that I had
> > on
> > the old computer.  When I copy my msmoney.mny file to the new computer and
> > attemt to open it, it says I need to enter the password for the file.
> > Problem is, I never created a password for it, so I can open the file.
> > Any
> > suggestions?

0
Wes (48)
7/29/2008 2:42:00 AM
What was the subject of the question? When did you post it? What site do you
think you posted to? (Some sites shamelessly pass off this Usenet newsgroup
as a "forum" so they can show you their ads. Your reply would make this seem
unlikely but I trust nothing from Usenet as definitive.)

You might want to wait ten minutes and the refresh the page. Your post looks
VERY recent and they don't show up instantaneously.

You also appear to be looking fro a very narrow set of information about
something almost no one who posts here has tried. Good luck. I hope someone
is able to help you.

"Sassyfilly" <Sassyfilly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I posted a question on this site...I'm new and don't know how to find my
> question or to see if I have any replies. Can anybody help?  I did check
> the
> "notify me of replies button...

macro needed
hello listers to begin with i have no great excel skills what I am looking for is a macro that I can easily use to send mail to a list of users I have made a web page that students sign up on http://biosciences.utoledo.edu/prs enter there info when they press submit the data is saved to a text file that can be opened as a csv file in excel I would like to have a macro go row by row down the page and extract the email from column G and insert that in to an email and also the students name from coulmn B. The csv file is set up like this ID Fname Lname StudentID TransmitID Section e...

modify AD computer script to run from locally authenticated account on server
Hello, I have a script that I want to modify but am lost in applying the correct syntax to move a computer object in Active Directory. Based on what I have found in my searches I will need to bind directly to a DC with alternate credentials. I have tried multiple iterations but can't get it to work. Below is the original un-altered script that I am trying improve upon. ------begin paste----------- 'get computer name strComputer = "." Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root \cimv2") Set colItems = objWMI...

Need VB code to edit cell values
I need some VB to do the following please (My VB is not good enough yet) Starting from the active cell (call it the StartCell) In the cell to the left.. ThreeChars = Value.right(3) (the last three chars) Value = Value - last three characters (assume value is text & at least 3 chars present) In StartCell.. value = ThreeChars (as text, overwrite any contents of StartCell) move active cell one down from StartCell Examples of before/after -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "Stephen Ford" <Stephen_Ford_no@spam_uwclub....

How do I open doc's from Publisher 2000 when I am using Pub 2003?
I recently purchased Publisher 2003 and can't seem to edit any document from a previous version. Are you running Norton AV? Try disabling NAV Script Blocking ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Start NAV Click Options. If a menu appears when you click Options, then click NortonAntiVirus. The Norton AntiVirus Options dialog box appears. Click Script Blocking. Uncheck Enable Script Blocking (recommended). Click OK. Restart the computer if prompted to do so. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "GAR" <GAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01222D01-7A00-4...

OE6 fails after installing Office 2000
The help of the assembled multitudes is welcomed: I tried to install MS Office 2000 Premium into an environment containing MSIE6.0 and Outlook Express 6.0 (with full SP updates.) OS is Windows ME, also with full updates. Result was corruption of Outlook Express. I could view email headers and previews, but could not launch email messages and/or print them. Further, the addressbook disappeared. When I tried to access address book, I was told that the system was improperly installed and I should reinstall. Removing Office 2000 from the system restored functionality to Outlook Express. I ...

Accessing Money reconciled statements?
Is there any way to access past reconciled statements? For some reason, when I went to reconcile it says that my starting balance doesn't match my ending balance from the last statement. I thought I would find the last statement and enter that ending balance as my starting. Not as easy as I thought. Thanks in advance. You won't be able to do that - if the ending balance is modified, you're just shifting the problem back. You'll need to find where you have either deleted a reconciled transaction, or unreconciled a previously reconciled transaction and make an appropri...

My Exchange server will not make new mailboxes
I had one e-mail server on this domain it was giving us trouble so I installed a new server on the domain and made it an exchange server. I moved all the mailboxes that where in use to the new e-mail server. I wait two weeks and shut down the old server, but now when I create a new user in active directory and tell it to create a mailbox it looks as if it creates one. When I look in the properties of the user and go to the e-mail address tab it is blank. When I right click on the users name and go to exchange task it gives me the option to move the mailbox to the old server which is ...

Office 2000 Small Business
When we load Office 2000 Small Business and than open Publisher we get the following error. The instruction at "Ox77fcbcbe" referenced memory at "Oxfffffff8". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program. What can we do to fix this error. It is usually do to a faulty printer/graphics driver. Does Publisher open okay in safe mode? Disable your printer before opening Publisher, if it opens go to the manufacturer's web site and look around for newer drivers. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/ http://www.mv...

Uprage to 2003 from 2000
Hello, Over the weekend I have installed an exchange 2003 server within the same domain as an exchange 2000 server. All is going well except this morning I am getting alot of reports from users that they're emails are bouncing back with a "mailbox over the size limit error" I normally hear of these all the time, but I'm finding that this morning I've gotten a lot of complaints. When I look at the users mailbox in ESM, for some reason alot of them are much larger than the size limit that they have on their mailboxes. For instance, one user has a limit of 350000 yet...

Message Filtering on MS Outlook 2000
Hi I'm Leo I have a problen on my MS Outlook Message Filtering, this is the scenario. User A sends a message to User B (inside my organisation) and User C (outside) then the message goes to User B Inbox, then User C replies to User B and the message goes to Junk Folder. This is not usually heppening when User C sends Email on User B, normally it goes to User B inbox. We have a Rule that filters the Email Address of the sender so I think that the MS Outlook filters the message thats why it goes to Junk Folder. My question is how did MS Outlook filters messages even if we do not have Rul...

Money 2004 Small Business: Adding Discounts
I have looked and looked for how to add discount items into my invoices, i.e, 10% discount, etc. Anyone know how to do this? I have run search after search under the Help files and haven't been able to come up with anything. On this note, how easy is it to enter a partial payment? Thanks for your help!! Jessie :) Click Invoices on the top toolbar. Click create new invoice. Enter the customer then click add item. You will see the discount box on the left-hand side under the description input field. You can enter a % discount or a $$ discount. >-----Original Message-----...

My OL 2000 will not open-get error message
I have MS Office Premium-all of the other programs work. When I try to open OL2000 I get the the error msg. MS Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. I removed MS Office Premium and re-installed it-same problem. I also clicked repair from Control Panel-same problem. -- Roma Does it work correctly when trying to start Outlook in Safe Mode? Start-> Run; outlook.exe /safe For additional troubleshooting steps see; http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/outlookdoesntstart.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www...

moving large amounts of data from one db to another
I have a table that has millions of rows of data in it, which then references another table with millions of referenced (matching by foreign key constraints)... I need to move this data from database A to a new database B, is there any way to do this and preserve the identity columns and their referential integrity?) Thanks! You can't have integrated RI across databases so that part is out. But you can certainly insert and keep the identities. Take a look at SET IDENTITY INSERT in BOL. -- Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP Solid Quality Mentors "Smokey Grindel"...

Has anyone linked MS Access and MS Money?
Greetings. I have a registration database for a school that uses MS Access. Our book keeper uses Quicken, so that all the student names, addresses, etc. needs to be entered twice. I am thinking of migrating the financial records to MS Money, so that we can do some VBA programming or the like to send student data from Access to Money. Does anyone know if this can be done, or have any experience doing this sort of thing? Thanks! Gary See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=10 in specific and http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?cat=3 in general. "GaryDave" <garydave@hotmail.com> w...

New type of activity
Hello, I want to create a new type of activity. For eg., like the way we have types in Phone Task, Fax, Phone Call,etc. we need to have 1 or 2 more types. Is it possible? Regards, Venkat Venkat; New activities are not currently possible without using the SDK. MSFT has promised more flexibility with activities in v2.0 (due Q1 2005). Dave The only way to do this would be to create the new activities in a different table and link somehow back to CRM. A number of companies have developed solutions like this. As said this feature has been mentioned as a possible for the next crm release a...

Creating New GP Company
I am in the process of creating a new GP Data Company – normally I just go to utilities and select “Create A Company” and I am good to go. This time however when I create the new company not all of the Manufacturing tables/stored procedures are created. I know that I have successfully created new companies prior to me installing SP5. When I log into the new company I get the following error: SQLServer souldnot find the stored procedure ‘CDA01.dbo.msysCompDoseMfgCompExist’ then invalid object name ‘ICJC6000’ When I actually try to go into a MOP module I get a message stating that M...

Can't save new contacts in Outlook 2007
When I try to save new contacts in Outlook 2007, I get an error message: "Could not complete the operation. One or more parameter values are not valid." It's been suggested that I clear the forms cache but cannot find how to do that in 2007 (recommended link was for 2003 version). Can anyone help with that or is there another possible solution? P.S. I am working off line in Outlook, if that matters. Also, I can revise and save revisions to existing contacts with no problem. HJ Why are you starting a new thread? Suggest following the recommendations in ...

Can I use Free Excel Viewer 97/2000 in Windows XP?
Microsoft downloads doesn't list the free excel viewer compatible with Windows XP. Is there a free download to view and print excel spreadsheets, that's compatible with Windows XP? Linda The Viewer for Office 97/2000 works fine under Windows XP. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:11:01 -0700, "Linda" <Linda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Microsoft downloads doesn't list the free excel viewer compatible with >Windows XP. Is there a free download to view and print excel spreadsheets, >that's compatible with Windows XP? Linda An...

rule to move sent mail to 2nd mailbox sent folder
We have Outlook 2002 (enterprise). I have my own mail box and in addition, another shared mailbox. What I need to be able to do is have a rule set up so that when I reply to an email from the shared mail box, that shows the from email address as ''my name and 'on behalf of; 'shared mail box'' it moves the sent email from my own personal email to the sent mail folder on the shared email folder. I also need to set up a rule for any emails that are deleted from the shared email box are put into the 'shared email delete box'. I have looked at the rules and can&#...

having renamed a workbook my password does not work
yesterday I split and renamed a huge excel workbook which was password protected. Today the password does not allow me to open either document. I have been using the password for ages and know it is case sensitive. Help Did you hit the caps lock by mistake? Lyndsayd wrote: > > yesterday I split and renamed a huge excel workbook which was password > protected. Today the password does not allow me to open either document. > I have been using the password for ages and know it is case sensitive. > > Help -- Dave Peterson ...

Need a code
I need a code that does the following: If C3>D3, B3 value will start blink and if C3<D3, E3 value will start blink. Any help please. Thanks in advance. Personally, I would recommend against blinking text, but if you insist on employing it, this website should help you get started... http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/BlinkingText.aspx NOTE: Pay particular attention to the second of the two points delineated in the Summary section at the bottom of the webpage. -- Rick (MVP - Excel) "MAX" <MAX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C7E6...

Upgrading to OL 2002 from 2000
I installed OL2002 on a machine. I had my e-mail setup on another machine with OL2K. I saved the PST file, cause in the past that's all I needed to move e-mail. I also exported the e-mails and address book. I thought I had to do was move the old PST file to the location of the new PST that should have been created when I first set up OL2002. I do a search and can not find such a PST file. Can some one give me some direction how to get the old e-mails into OL2002? Thanks for any help you can provide. If you're using Windows 2000 or XP, you'll need to search in hidden and s...

Ganhar umas massas/Earn real money !!!
Se queres ganhar uns Euritos s� tens de instalar esta barra de publicidade, que podes at� minimizar ou fechar em caso de utilizar programas de ecr� completo. N�o incomoda nada, nem consome recursos. Apenas d� dinheiro, �ptima para quando deixas o comptdor a sacar a noite toda... Recebes o dinheiro na tua conta PayPal. http://www.eurobarre.com/index_fr.php?p=373093897695 100% seguro by CrashOverride If you want to earn money just by sitting in front of your PC, just install this Bar that shows some publicity now and then. 100% safe, no malicious ware. http://www.eurobarre.com...

Excel 2000/2003 conflict
Whenever I try to open excel files created using 2000, 2003 gives me errors on simple formulas. For example, a SUM formula is marked as an error and displays a wrong number, when I go up to the formula bar and hit enter without changing the conents it recalculates to the right answer. There is many more errors such as "inconsistent formula" or "lost visual basic project" which doesn't allow a 2000 file open without repair. Is there anything I can download to fix all of this together or will I have to fix them all by hand? Does this have to do anything with the differen...

switching investment charts in microsoft money plus deluxe
I'm using Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe 17.0 As in Money 2004 clicking on a listed investment on the Home tab goes directly to a price chart. In the earlier program I could switch quickly between investment charts using a drop down list on the chart page. In money plus deluxe 17.0 I have to go back to Home first or the Portfolio tab. Can I make this work as before? Thanks for any help. "Dave K" <p_sellars-at-hotmail-dot-com> wrote in message news:eqMaGmEcIHA.4712@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > > I'm using Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe 17.0 > > As...