Money Split Transaction Procedure

When entering a check and splitting the expense to several categories,
including "Cash Withdrawn", I normally reassign that portion as expenses are
incurred.  I merely update the existing transaction formerly assigned to
Cash Withdrawn by reassigning it to other expense categories where the cash
was spent.

The only problem with this procedure is that Money does not re-display a
"Remaining Total" as split category reassignments are entered.  This is not
a problem in Quicken.

It is not logical that "Cash Withdrawn" is not reassigned to other final
expense categories.  Otherwise, the eventual expense categories affected
would never be recognized for reporting.

Please share any alternatives that might produce the desired result,
assuming Money is never updated to accomodate this issue.

0
r.sharon (12)
10/4/2003 7:13:28 PM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

Logical or not, desirable or not, annoying or not, like Quicken or not, this
is how Money works. They probably think it makes sense from some usability
lab testing with chimpanzees or great-grandmothers or something. Re-posting
this complaint in different forms every day probably won't get the behavior
changed in either of our lifetimes. If this one behavior is the difference
for you between using Money and Quicken, by all means, go for Quicken.

Personally, I would not do what you are doing for any number of reasons.
(This annoyance might well be a sufficient reason all by itself.) I'd
transfer the cash to a cash account and then enter real, individual,
transactions in the cash account to make it all go away, not just
perpetually edit the same split transaction.

See http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/#Q93 for "how other users account for ATM
withdrawals." As always, YMMV.

"Robert Sharon" <r.sharon@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> When entering a check and splitting the expense to several categories,
> including "Cash Withdrawn", I normally reassign that portion as expenses
are
> incurred.  I merely update the existing transaction formerly assigned to
> Cash Withdrawn by reassigning it to other expense categories where the
cash
> was spent.
>
> The only problem with this procedure is that Money does not re-display a
> "Remaining Total" as split category reassignments are entered.  This is
not
> a problem in Quicken.
>
> It is not logical that "Cash Withdrawn" is not reassigned to other final
> expense categories.  Otherwise, the eventual expense categories affected
> would never be recognized for reporting.
>
> Please share any alternatives that might produce the desired result,
> assuming Money is never updated to accomodate this issue.

I want to thank you for your response.  I have thought about using rhe
procedure you mentioned but wanted to get an idea what other Money users
were doing.  I was just trying to summarize reassignments from Cash
Withdrawal for multiple expeditures instead of recording every individual
record by category (as I have done with Quicken).  However, I guess this is
the only way to handle it in Money and I do understand your point about the
transfer to a cash account.

I may still seriously consider using Money primarily for a change in
financial software.  I have been successfully using Quicken for several
years now and am ready for a change.

Thanks again.
Bob

message news:%239DCjcriDHA.2960@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Logical or not, desirable or not, annoying or not, like Quicken or not,
this
> is how Money works. They probably think it makes sense from some usability
> lab testing with chimpanzees or great-grandmothers or something.
Re-posting
> this complaint in different forms every day probably won't get the
behavior
> changed in either of our lifetimes. If this one behavior is the difference
> for you between using Money and Quicken, by all means, go for Quicken.
>
> Personally, I would not do what you are doing for any number of reasons.
> (This annoyance might well be a sufficient reason all by itself.) I'd
> transfer the cash to a cash account and then enter real, individual,
> transactions in the cash account to make it all go away, not just
> perpetually edit the same split transaction.
>
> See http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/#Q93 for "how other users account for
ATM
> withdrawals." As always, YMMV.
>
> "Robert Sharon" <r.sharon@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > When entering a check and splitting the expense to several categories,
> > including "Cash Withdrawn", I normally reassign that portion as expenses
> are
> > incurred.  I merely update the existing transaction formerly assigned to
> > Cash Withdrawn by reassigning it to other expense categories where the
> cash
> > was spent.
> >
> > The only problem with this procedure is that Money does not re-display a
> > "Remaining Total" as split category reassignments are entered.  This is
> not
> > a problem in Quicken.
> >
> > It is not logical that "Cash Withdrawn" is not reassigned to other final
> > expense categories.  Otherwise, the eventual expense categories affected
> > would never be recognized for reporting.
> >
> > Please share any alternatives that might produce the desired result,
> > assuming Money is never updated to accomodate this issue.

0
r.sharon (12)
10/5/2003 12:15:23 AM
I wouldn't say any way is the "only way to handle it." Your way "works," you
just have to screw around keeping the transaction amount the same when you
edit the splits of the previously created transaction.

> I want to thank you for your response.  I have thought about using rhe
> procedure you mentioned but wanted to get an idea what other Money users
> were doing.  I was just trying to summarize reassignments from Cash
> Withdrawal for multiple expeditures instead of recording every individual
> record by category (as I have done with Quicken).  However, I guess this
is
> the only way to handle it in Money and I do understand your point about
the
> transfer to a cash account.
>
> I may still seriously consider using Money primarily for a change in
> financial software.  I have been successfully using Quicken for several
> years now and am ready for a change.

Robert, I am not familiar with Quicken, having converted
some years ago to Money.  However, how I handle this
situation generally is to have one of the split
transactions be a "transfer" to an "account" which is a
cash account...representing cash in hand, for instance.
Then, when I make a cash expenditure, it is recorded
against this account, and the overall balance is adjusted
so you know where you are.  Let me know if this does not
satifiy your need. WSL

0
wslewis (1)