Money now requiring a password!!??

Hello...hope someone can help me.  I'm using MS Money 2002.  My computer's
power supply died, so I copied my money file and backup from my hard drive
and put it onto my laptop.  After installing Money onto my laptop, I'm now
attempting to open it.  Problem is...all of a sudden, it says it requires a
password!  I have never had a password on this account before, so naturally,
I don't know what it's expecting.  Has anyone seen this before or can anyone
help?  Thanks!
Debbi

money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

In microsoft.public.money, Debbi Merker wrote:

>Hello...hope someone can help me.  I'm using MS Money 2002.  My computer's
>power supply died, so I copied my money file and backup from my hard drive
>and put it onto my laptop.  After installing Money onto my laptop, I'm now
>attempting to open it.  Problem is...all of a sudden, it says it requires a
>password!  I have never had a password on this account before, so naturally,
>I don't know what it's expecting.  Has anyone seen this before or can anyone
>help?

This would be expected if you were trying to open a Money file with
Money 2002 that was created by a version newer than Money 2002.

If that is the case, you would need a later version of Money.
0
via_newsgroup (13114)
12/3/2006 11:36:36 PM
As Cal suggests, it may be that you're attempting to open a file using an
older version of the program. Perhaps both are '2002', but the copy you
last opened the file with may have been updated.

If both the file and the program are 2002, open the sample file, first.
Update online to download stock quotes. Money may update itself. Then try
to open your file.

All of this is out the window if updates no longer are allowed, due to the
age of the program and conditions of the End User License Agreement (EULA).
--
Chris Cowles
Gainesville, FL

"Debbi Merker" <luvmykidz3@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Hello...hope someone can help me.  I'm using MS Money 2002.  My
> computer's power supply died, so I copied my money file and backup from
> my hard drive and put it onto my laptop.  After installing Money onto my
> laptop, I'm now attempting to open it.  Problem is...all of a sudden, it
> says it requires a password!  I have never had a password on this account
> before, so naturally, I don't know what it's expecting.  Has anyone seen
> this before or can anyone help?  Thanks!
> Debbi

0
spam_magnet (1210)
12/4/2006 1:24:40 AM
Thanks for your help...I tried what you suggested and my file still wouldn't
open, so it looks like I may need to go out and purchase a newer copy of
Money...?  I'm assuming a newer version of Money would open my 2002
file...That would work, wouldn't it? Thanks!

"Chris Cowles" <spam_magnet@remove-me-bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> As Cal suggests, it may be that you're attempting to open a file using an
> older version of the program. Perhaps both are '2002', but the copy you
> last opened the file with may have been updated.
>
> If both the file and the program are 2002, open the sample file, first.
> Update online to download stock quotes. Money may update itself. Then try
> to open your file.
>
> All of this is out the window if updates no longer are allowed, due to the
> age of the program and conditions of the End User License Agreement
> (EULA).
> --
> Chris Cowles
> Gainesville, FL
>

> "Debbi Merker" <luvmykidz3@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> Hello...hope someone can help me.  I'm using MS Money 2002.  My
>> computer's power supply died, so I copied my money file and backup from
>> my hard drive and put it onto my laptop.  After installing Money onto my
>> laptop, I'm now attempting to open it.  Problem is...all of a sudden, it
>> says it requires a password!  I have never had a password on this account
>> before, so naturally, I don't know what it's expecting.  Has anyone seen
>> this before or can anyone help?  Thanks!
>> Debbi

It SHOULD work. YMMV.

You might want to try the time limited trial version of M07. It would let
you see a new version of Money. It would also confirm that the file can be
upgraded. Finally, it might shed some light on hat your present issue is
depending on what it does with your file in the upgrade process.

If you go this route, please just go buy a copy after the trial so you get
the CD. The download versions don't come with a CD so can be hard to
reinstall in the future.

> Thanks for your help...I tried what you suggested and my file still
> wouldn't open, so it looks like I may need to go out and purchase a newer
> copy of Money...?  I'm assuming a newer version of Money would open my
> 2002 file...That would work, wouldn't it? Thanks!

Money 2002 to Money 2007 more then likely is not going to go easy If it is
asking for a password and you opened the sample file and sure the file is
upgraded completely which means you receive no more prompts while opening
the sample file. This leads me to beleive the 2002 did not create it and a
newer version did I suggest downloading the trial edition of Money 2004
setting your system clock back to 2004 and try to convert it there if it
goes into 2004 2007 will be a breeze but 2002-2007 usually will not work
without 04

Download 2004 here
http://download.microsoft.com/download/D/B/7/DB72D4E0-FBD1-4B76-BFA0-1FF20F6AEC8D/M12USWEB.exe

--
Steve
steven_morrison69@hotmail.com

"Debbi Merker" <luvmykidz3@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Thanks for your help...I tried what you suggested and my file still
> wouldn't open, so it looks like I may need to go out and purchase a newer
> copy of Money...?  I'm assuming a newer version of Money would open my
> 2002 file...That would work, wouldn't it? Thanks!
>
> "Chris Cowles" <spam_magnet@remove-me-bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> As Cal suggests, it may be that you're attempting to open a file using an
>> older version of the program. Perhaps both are '2002', but the copy you
>> last opened the file with may have been updated.
>>
>> If both the file and the program are 2002, open the sample file, first.
>> Update online to download stock quotes. Money may update itself. Then try
>> to open your file.
>>
>> All of this is out the window if updates no longer are allowed, due to
>> the age of the program and conditions of the End User License Agreement
>> (EULA).
>> --
>> Chris Cowles
>> Gainesville, FL
>>

>> "Debbi Merker" <luvmykidz3@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>> Hello...hope someone can help me.  I'm using MS Money 2002.  My
>>> computer's power supply died, so I copied my money file and backup from
>>> my hard drive and put it onto my laptop.  After installing Money onto my
>>> laptop, I'm now attempting to open it.  Problem is...all of a sudden, it
>>> says it requires a password!  I have never had a password on this
>>> account before, so naturally, I don't know what it's expecting.  Has
>>> anyone seen this before or can anyone help?  Thanks!
>>> Debbi

All these problems are not worth NOT buying an updated copy Of Money
each year IF YOU REALLY USE THE PROGRAM TO MANAGE YOUR PERSONAL
FINANCE. Steve

A=2E4580@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...

> > Thanks for your help...I tried what you suggested and my file still
> > wouldn't open, so it looks like I may need to go out and purchase a new=
er
> > copy of Money...? =A0I'm assuming a newer version of Money would open my
> > 2002 file...That would work, wouldn't it? Thanks!
>
> > "Chris Cowles" <spam_mag...@remove-me-bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> >> As Cal suggests, it may be that you're attempting to open a file using=
 an
> >> older version of the program. Perhaps both are '2002', but the copy you
> >> last opened the file with may have been updated.
>
> >> If both the file and the program are 2002, open the sample file, first.
> >> Update online to download stock quotes. Money may update itself. Then =
try
> >> to open your file.
>
> >> All of this is out the window if updates no longer are allowed, due to
> >> the age of the program and conditions of the End User License Agreement
> >> (EULA).
> >> --
> >> Chris Cowles
> >> Gainesville, FL
>
> >> "Debbi Merker" <luvmyki...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

0
sjcohen730 (458)
12/4/2006 5:15:40 PM
The only problem with this strategy is that Microsoft sometime removes
desirable features (drag and drop, online synching) in their zeal to
'upgrade'.

"Steve" <sjcohen730@aol.com> wrote in message
All these problems are not worth NOT buying an updated copy Of Money
each year IF YOU REALLY USE THE PROGRAM TO MANAGE YOUR PERSONAL
FINANCE. Steve

0
mqq6 (16)

Password?
Hello all, I have Outlook 2002, howcome all of a sudden when I go into Outlook checking emails, the "Enter Network Password" box keeps coming out, I enter my username, my password, hit cancel, all don't work. It just keeps popping up every 5 to 10 seconds. This never happened before. I can still check my emails without any problems. Any ideas how to get rid of it. I use cable modem for connection. Thanks David ...

Money Crashing in lifetime planner
The lifetime module of money 2005 keeps crashing. It seems to be crashing in the taxes section of the planner. Is anyone else having this problem? If you're happy to reset the planner, then you could download the registry fix from http://money.mvps.org/patches.htm which should wipe it all out, so you can start it again. However, take a backup beforehand because this should reset everything. -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your wishes or...

Keystroke for "required space" between words
Is there a keystroke in Word for a "required space" between words to keep them from flowing onto next line of text? In WordPerfect, the keystroke is "CTL+Space Bar" and there should be a similar keystroke for Word for this same command. Ctl+Shift+space gives you a nonbreaking space. "Knockout59" wrote: > Is there a keystroke in Word for a "required space" between words to keep > them from flowing onto next line of text? In WordPerfect, the keystroke is > "CTL+Space Bar" and there should be a similar keystroke for ...

Puttin Money 2004 on another PC
I've got a brand new Dell Dimension 3000 running XP Pro / SP2 and loaded Money 2k4. Originally, I tried accessing my .mny file on my white box running 2k Pro from the Dell. The name at the top of the window changed reflecting the .mny file name but no data appeared inside the Money 2k4 window. - I uninstalled Money 2k4 and re-installed it on the Dell and applied all the MS updates for Money. Still no luck... - I copied the file off the 2k Pro box and onto the Dell. Still no luck... - I executed a repair on the file and tried accessing the new one. Still no luck... - I restored the ba...

OWA now requiring domain\username
Hello, I have a OWA running on our E2k3 box,and all has been great for quite some time. But now all of a sudden when the users go to the url for ows they are now required to prepend the domain name to their username, which was not the case before. The only thing that has changed was that IIS was restarted on the machine. But this has been done before without the login process changing. The process of prepending the username does not bother me, but our several outside VPN clients do not like having to do this.. Any thoughts on why this happened and if there is a way to correct ? Thanks...

help me recover lost excel password,pls??
can someone pls help me? i have forgotten the password to my excel file and now i cant remember it. i search the web and everywhere they asked for payment and some only search up to 4 characters. i tested the program and it didn't work at all. i am sure of that as i roughly know my password, but not the whole password though. can someone tell me how i can recover the file or the password, pls? thanks. You'll probably need to end up paying to have it cracked. I don't know any free services that crack over 4 characters. In article <D921E872-8AD4-4170-9787-4944AE1CDE1C@micro...

RE: Outlook 2003 won't retain POP3 password
I had someone with a similar problem that I have been trying to help out. Try this link: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b290684 This might help the problem. EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice http://www.eggheadcafe.com ...

money 2006 small business #3
My file is very large. Is there anything I can do to help the program move faster. Someone helped me with 2004 and it seemed to make a differece. Maybe there are bells and whistles that I dont need much. It is frustrating to wait for somthing to record. Thanks. RBC In microsoft.public.money, RBC wrote: >My file is very large. Is there anything I can do to help the program move >faster. Someone helped me with 2004 and it seemed to make a differece. Maybe >there are bells and whistles that I dont need much. It is frustrating to wait >for somthing to record. Thanks. First...

Passwords #4
Have Outlook 2002 - any idea how to set a password and make it password protected? Thanks.. Right click on Outlook Today, select Properties, then Advanced. Set your password from there and DON'T forget it. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be deleted w/out reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer klbr88 <klbr88@comcast.net> asked: | Have Outlook 2002 - any idea how to set a password and make it | password protected? Thanks.. ...

Can't Review Transactions now in Money 2004
I am looking for information how to activate Review Transactions. I can download them from my bank; there is a list (6) to review, but they will not appear in my statement, and I cannot figure out how to review/activate/open them. This feature used to work automatically, but has suddenly and inexplicably stopped. Thanks for any help. jms In microsoft.public.money, js wrote: >I am looking for information how to activate Review Transactions. I can >download them from my bank; there is a list (6) to review, but they will not >appear in my statement, and I cannot figure out...

Money 2004 Problem with Matching Downloaded Transactions
Is there some way to stop Money from matching downloaded transactions with already-reconciled transactions? This keeps happening, and the only option offered with the match is to "accept" it. I would be happy if I could change it, but that's not happening. There is the fairly radical solution of "don't download". Many posters believe that sorting out the mess caused by downloading just isn't worth it and takes much more time than the alternative. There is no God given decree that says just because something is available you have to use it. I, amongst ot...

password controlled files
Background - A colleague of mine died and his wife is trying to recover files in Excel for his Tax etc (in Switzerland) - she i saverage user capable - he password protected all his files and she does not know how to proceed. Request - any advice on procedures, contacts or services that would help her or a company representative in Switzerland to open these files and get data to a non protected version so probate can be processed. i am deliberately not asking for detailed answers for security reasons - if there is a simple procedure please post back to me to be followed up outside o...

Can't save favorite report in Money 2005
Hi - when I customize a report in Money 2005 Premium and try to save it, nothing happens (i.e. when I later pull up "favorite reports", the report I tried to save is not there). Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks. I'm also having problems savings any favorite reports. Someome please help!! Thanks. "Bill P" wrote: > Hi - when I customize a report in Money 2005 Premium and > try to save it, nothing happens (i.e. when I later pull > up "favorite reports", the report I tried to save is not > there). Any ideas on how to fix this? ...

!Lost password!
Hiya, My sister created a password on an excel spreadsheet that is very important 2 me, and she cant remember it, now I can only read the sheet and I can't modify it. What can I do?!?!?! Please jelp!! -- \m/ O_O \m/ Laura..... :) Liverpool, England Visit JE McGimpsey's site: http://mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html "Laura ( '_' )" wrote: > > Hiya, > My sister created a password on an excel spreadsheet that is very important > 2 me, and she cant remember it, now I can only read the sheet and I can't > modify it. > What can I do?!?!?! ...

password
I have set up a second administrator account and given it a password. I also set up a "reset password disk" in a cruzer flash drive. The password reset has a .psw extension and I can't figure out how to open it up to make sure it is usable. I have Open Office installed. When I try to open the .psw file however it shows what I call "computer language" (unreadable)and not document language. Anyone know how to open that file? Thanks Bill Walsh wrote: > I have set up a second administrator account and given it a > password. I also set up a "res...

Latest Money 2005 update
Does anyone know if there is an official list of fixes that are included in the latest Money 2005 update? Thanks! Nothing published that I know of. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. For wishes or suggestions see http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp or for UK wishes http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support/money/feedback I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for. "Alex P." <Alex P.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E68...

Money 2006 #8
I bought Microsoft Money 2006 standard at walmart. The installation went throw fine. When I went to use it I of course had to sign in and all of that but because I my not internet connected it wouldn't let me go now. What uses is a program that I can use? HELP! Please! So, you set it up with a Passport on your file? Did you really need to (needed to for downloads, etc) or did you just think Money wanted you to? When you say "When I went to use it I of course had to sign in", you assert something that isn't necessarily true. I've NEVER signed into Money except when ...

Money equivalent to Quicken web entry?
I am attempting to move from Quicken to Money. One Quicken feature I can't live without is the Web Entry/One Step Update. Simply put, this allows one to enter the day's expenses on the Web for download into the Quicken account later. Search as I might, I cannot figure out even if Money offers this option, much less how to do it. By the way, Money spares no expense in attempting to get me to provide information on my banking and investment institutions. Pardon me, Mr. Gates, that's none of your damn business. I just want to log in my lunch expenses from my office. Any help ap...

money with firewall and virus protection
ON TRYING TO INSTAL MONEY 2004 I FIND ERROR MESSAGE SAYING IT CANNOT INSTALL IT WITH FIREWALL AND VIRUS PROTECTION, AS IT CAN HAVE TROUBLE WITH OPERATION. WILL IT WORK IF I DISABLE THE FIREWALL? For starters please learn to turn off the CAPS LOCK, it is hard to read and irritating! Now lecture over. Some AV's and Firewalls don't like Money so a) disconnect from Internet, b) Uninstall AV etc, c) install Money, d) reinstall AV, e) reconnect. Once the AV/Firewall finds Money already installed it will be happy. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money Hints/Tips http:/...

Tool required for importing Analytical Accounting data
A tool for importing Analytical Accounting data with core transactions should be developed. Customer has several stand alone Great Plains installations (in distant countries) and wants to import GL entries with Analytical Accounting data into a centralized Great Plains environment. An import tool would also benefit customers who import GL, AP, AR, SOP transactions from external non-integration applications. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree"...

upgrading from Money 1997 to Money 2003
My computer crashed and I had help to recover my .MNY files. Not sure if they were corrupted or not in the process. I reinstalled from my CD but that version is 1997 and I didn't realize that right away but figured it out after trying to open the recovered .MNY which the error message told me was not a Money file or corrupted. I had been using version 11.0.0.716 (I think this is the standard 2003 version). I do not have the installation file I used when I originally upgraded from 1997 to 2003. I don't know how to go from my legal copy of 1997 to the version 2003 which I was...

Investment Assset Allocation Problems
I am trying to set the asset allocation of certain investments. Money refuses to take my allocations of cash, bonds, etc.. for a particular investment. some of the investments are zero in all asset classes and I cannot change them. Registration simply allows MS to send you spam - oops sorry important marketing messages. It is not the same as activation for XP. There is no need to register! -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically as...

Share Workbook with Password Protected Macros
I have created macros with codes that apply Password Protect/Unprotect the Worksheets. It runs fine except when I 'Share' the file. Please help! And many thanks!!! Hi one of the restrictions of shareed workbooks. AFAIK no way around this -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Apepapa" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:6E2BFBE3-73F4-45B8-A91A-B9F5295EE2B0@microsoft.com... > I have created macros with codes that apply Password Protect/Unprotect the Worksheets. It runs fine except when I 'Share' the file. Please help! A...

Installing Money 04 with Virus Protection
When we were trying to install Money 04 on a PC with Windows 98, we got a message that said that there was a problem with installing it with Norton Antivirus that could be overcome by following directions on a link that does not contain the installation procedure. How can we install the program without interfering with the virus protection software? You can't. Why do think the message come up telling you that you can't? Because you secretly can? "Rogeria" <rogeriab@aol.com> wrote in message news:04aa01c3d649$272d6930$a501280a@phx.gbl... > How can we > inst...

Seperate Investments and Money Plus 08
In Money Plus 08, I have combined investments and want to seperate them. In the Help section, I can see "Click Manage combined investments." but just cannot find this option in the program. Help please! In microsoft.public.money, a@aol.com wrote: > >In Money Plus 08, I have combined investments and want to seperate >them. In the Help section, I can see "Click Manage combined >investments." but just cannot find this option in the program. Help >please! In the lower part of the Details, click ManageCombinedInvestments. Cal Can you provide a snapshot view...