Money Backup File Security

I regularly take backup of my money file. I secure my money software with a
password also. My question is regarding the security of the backup file.

When I take a backup do I need to remember the password also? Let's say I
took a backup a month ago and after that I changed my money password. And for
reasons unknown I forgot the password which I had set when I took the backup.
In the event of failure when I try to restore it from that backup will it ask
me for a password? If yes, which one? If not - then is it not a security
breach considering the fact that the backup CD might be stolen and somebody
else can load my personal data on their computer.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks and Have a Great Day.
0
chetan6 (1)
11/21/2006 4:02:01 AM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

Great question. Answer? Got me. But my suspicion is that the password would
be the one you were using when you backed up the file. Were I you' I'd test
it to know for sure. Another reason to periodically test your backups is to
make sure they really are.

But were I you, I wouldn't get too comfortable thinking that the password is
some kind of industrial strength security. Search in google for microsoft
money password recovery. You'll get my point. Also, I don't believe they
encrypt the data, even if you do use a password. Therefore the contents of
the file will have some visible data even if Money won't open the file.

"chetan6" <chetan6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Let me know your thoughts.

Hello
    If you setup a passport with the money file the password will change
with the passport change so the backu password will change
Dick, by any chance know any password recoveries for money 2006? I forgot
mine on one of my important files
Steve
message news:uXBAetSDHHA.4740@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Great question. Answer? Got me. But my suspicion is that the password
> would be the one you were using when you backed up the file. Were I you'
> I'd test it to know for sure. Another reason to periodically test your
> backups is to make sure they really are.
>
> But were I you, I wouldn't get too comfortable thinking that the password
> is some kind of industrial strength security. Search in google for
> microsoft money password recovery. You'll get my point. Also, I don't
> believe they encrypt the data, even if you do use a password. Therefore
> the contents of the file will have some visible data even if Money won't
> open the file.
>
> "chetan6" <chetan6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Let me know your thoughts.

Never looked.

If it's different than M04/5/6, maybe there isn't one since it's new and
there probably isn't all that much demand just for Money.

"Steve" <steven_morrison69@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> by any chance know any password recoveries for money 2006? I forgot mine
> on one of my important files

Distribution Files for MFC in VS .net 2003

Money: Err Msg: Path Has Not Been Properly Set Up
please help.... Microsoft Money. The path is not properly set up in the registry or has been moved after running Money's Setup. Please re-install Money. Otherwise, Money may not be able to run properly. re-instal wont help deleting registry entry dasn.t help. windowx xp sp2 Ms Money 97 (v.5.0) .. Are you using an administrator account to run the software? -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your wishes or suggestions, use http://registe...

Money 2005 #50
Trying to restore my date from old xp computer to new vista computer. Loaded program ok, set the path to new location, am logged on with admin rights, when i try o restore says cannot open file. Have not had this on other computers? Need ideas? Thx how did you transfer your *.mny file? If you used a CD or DVD your file becomes read only. You have to manually go into to Windows Explorer and change it back to read/write. -- Peace, BobJ "meg85" <meg85@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FDA84068-4797-4B43-B215-750D689F8F35@microsoft.com... > Trying to re...

file cloning
I was wondering. How come it is possible to clone a file (using right click copy/paste file), but not possible to do this for other documents (apps and clip-art etc)?. Could it be possible to have an add-in in excel to prevent people from copying documents on their desktop?? -- shnim1 You can copy files that way (rightclick|copy, rightclick|paste). But most windows applications are no longer just simple .exe files (like back in the old DOS days). They usually have tons of other stuff that gets installed with them--and that stuff gets scattered all over your harddrive (windows folder, wi...

Money Central Portfolio #2

how to build the netsample ipconfig to the exe file?
C:\WINCE500\public\common\oak\drivers\netsamp\ipconfig\ipconfig.cpp i want to make ipconfig.exe. and i could found the sample code. but it source code builded to the lib file. in ipconfig sources files, TARGETNAME=ipconfig TARGETTYPE=LIBRARY SOURCES= \ $(TARGETNAME).cpp the project is .lib file. but the source code has a _tmain() funciton in the source. it's looks possible to compile to the exe file. how can it compile to the exe file? You can add the SYSGEN_NETUTILS and you will have the ipconfig.exe integrated to your OS. Search ipconfig in the cat...

outlook can't receive exe files

Slow backup of Hyper-V R2 cluster
We have a 3 node cluster, with iSCSI storage. The initial replica is quite fast. In the area of 50-80MB/s. But the following backups take a long time. It can take 1-2 hours to backup a VM with just 1-2 GB in change. So we are using about 13-15 hours to backup the 30 VM's we have today Forgot to say that we are using DPM2010 RTM evaluation "Emptyone" wrote: > We have a 3 node cluster, with iSCSI storage. The initial replica is quite > fast. In the area of 50-80MB/s. But the following backups take a long time. > It can take 1-2 hours to backup a VM with j...

retrieving folders.old file

Excel 2000 vs. Excel 2002

Opening .prn files in XL2000

Import reg files into Registry, without UAC
Hi, I've got a .reg file to be imported silently in a batch. The file contains only entries in HKEY_CURRENT_USER, therefore can be imported without elevation. This works well with the regedit /s switch on limited accounts, however on admin accounts, elevation UAC prompt is still shown, even though it's not needed. How can I prevent this? Thanks, Jens Jens M´┐Żller wrote: >Hi, > >I've got a .reg file to be imported silently in a batch. The file contains >only entries in HKEY_CURRENT_USER, therefore can be imported without >elevation. >...

Retreive a deleted file
How can I retreive a delted file Hi Janet If you have setup Excel to automatically create backup copies; then check that folder for the last backed-up version....If it is from your PC, check out the Recylcle Bin (on your desktop) and restore the file. If the file was on a network drive you may need to contact your network administrator and check whether they can recover. -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "Janet" wrote: > How can I retreive a delted file Go into your Recycle Bin. If deleted from there; http://www.ozgrid.com/Services/recover-deleted-files.htm ...

Limiting CRM application ability to aasigning user to approprite CRM security group
IT administrator that I have for client does not like the idea of CRM application assigning user group automatically. They prefer to do the security group assignment manually. Is this possible? What do I need to do to achieve that? Thanks Kyaw Hi Kyaw, I did it the following way for a customer: 1) You will need to precreate the five groups within your AD. There is no need of having a own OU (Container, Organizational Unit) for them. Follow the naming convention of your company or use the default namings from Microsoft for the five groups. There is no need for your AD Admin to assig...

Log file
Where do i find my log files? On an NT based system: go to start, run, type eventvwr, then hit enter. There you'll see the application, system, and security logs. >-----Original Message----- >Where do i find my log files? >. > ...

Need to show file properties dialog box
Hello I need to show the shell's file properties dialog box. I tried converting old vb6 code into vb.net but it gives me error. Here's my code: Private Structure SHELLEXECUTEINFO Dim cbSize As Long Dim fMask As Long Dim hwnd As Long Dim lpVerb As String Dim lpFile As String Dim lpParameters As String Dim lpDirectory As String Dim nShow As Long Dim hInstApp As Long Dim lpIDList As Long Dim lpClass As String Dim hkeyClass As Long Dim dwHotKey As Long D...

how to read .MSG files without Outlook ?
How to read .MSG files without Outlook ? Do you know a good .msg viewer ? Thanks to everybody ... E. to the best of my knowledge, there isn;t a msg viewer. You need to use outlook or exchange messaging client. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Join OneNote Tips mailing list: http://www.onenote-tips.net/ ...

Repair Corrupt Excel File
I have an excel 2003 workbook that will not open. The file is about 14MB. I have tried the repair utility within Excel but it still will not open. Anyone have any ideas? I have had success opening corrupt files with OpenOffice http://openoffice.org In article <CF4A5951-DCD9-4508-B995-FB7F6585BF78@microsoft.com>, "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have an excel 2003 workbook that will not open. The file is about 14MB. I > have tried the repair utility within Excel but it still will not open. > Anyone have any ideas? The Spreadsh...

How to delete stuck file from "All Junk e-mail" Box ?
How to delete stuck file from "All Junk e-mail" Box ? I'm using WLM on Win7. Thanks for any help. "Jdr" <omni@msn.net> wrote in message news:C2919371-6A82-4478-A411-8FEB13F66B41@microsoft.com... > How to delete stuck file from "All Junk e-mail" Box ? > I'm using WLM on Win7. Thanks for any help. try dragging it to the deleted folder. "c.d." <invalid@iglou.com> wrote in message news:es$OnIzzKHA.4384@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > > "Jdr" <omni@msn.net> wrote in message > news:C29193...

Your thoughts on Money 2005?
After reading through the posts today, here are some of my thoughts on Money 2005 and how to resolve some of the issues. #1 MS should offer a 15 year anniversary edition of MS Money 98 that works on WinXP... #2 Undo all the extras. Give us a Basic Edition product that allows us to balance the checkbook, manually download our QIF/OFX files, do a budget and add a calendar to remind us of bills...that's it. Remove the bloat that really makes MS 2005 slower and buggy. #3 Allow a feature that will let us revert back to a former version. Sure, you tell us to backup our previous data, bu...