Money 2007 -- QIF import - date format (not regional settings prob

Good Evening!

After a little trial and error, I am able to import account transactions
from another system (not a bank statement, my actual register transactions)
with little trouble except for the date format.

(Before someone gets mad at me, I really don't think this has anything to do
with my regional settings!)

As recommended by an MVP from this forum, I open my CSV file with excel,
then use a converter (add-in) called XL2QIF to create a qif output file.

The actual "data" in a date field in my original csv file is "060106"
(mm/dd/yy) which is June 1, 2006, for example.

Once I open the csv file in Excel, I can "format the cell" and get the date
to display in the cell as 01/06/06 (dd/mm/yy), but the actual underlying data
is still 060106.  I was hoping when I used the XL2QIF add-in and exported the
data to the qif file, the numbers would be as they were displayed in the cell
as opposed to the actual underlying data, because Money seems to want the qif
file to be dd/mm/yy.

When I use the XL2QIF converter, the qif is created, and when I import into
Money, the value 060106 comes in as January 6, 2006, instead of June 1, 2006.
 I can't find in Money 2007 where I can instruct the program to handle the
dates differently.  I also do not see any way to change how XL2QIF handles
the export of the date field.

This has nothing to do with my regional settings as far as I understand
them, because my regional settings are already set to mm/dd/yy, and always
have been.

Is there any way to tell Money 2007 that inside my qif file, the date format
of the incoming data is mm/dd/yy (which matches my regional settings, btw...)
and NOT dd/mm/yy???  OR, is this a problem with the creation of my QIF in the
first place???

I'm going nuts <insert bad language here...>

Thank you so much!!!
--
J. Raines
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

just one more thing I tried...

I manually changed all my date fields in Excel from 060106 to 010606, for
example, then used XL2QIF to create the qif, then imported into Money again.
And guess what???  Money got the dates up until 6/12/06 (120606).  After
that, the dates were blank.  (130606 and up).  Even though the first 2 digits
are the dd field, something ignored all numbers above 12, as though it were
the month field.
Yes, it's very strange...  :-)
--
J. Raines

"hisplaceresort" wrote:

> Good Evening!
>
> After a little trial and error, I am able to import account transactions
> from another system (not a bank statement, my actual register transactions)
> with little trouble except for the date format.
>
> (Before someone gets mad at me, I really don't think this has anything to do
> with my regional settings!)
>
> As recommended by an MVP from this forum, I open my CSV file with excel,
> then use a converter (add-in) called XL2QIF to create a qif output file.
>
> The actual "data" in a date field in my original csv file is "060106"
> (mm/dd/yy) which is June 1, 2006, for example.
>
> Once I open the csv file in Excel, I can "format the cell" and get the date
> to display in the cell as 01/06/06 (dd/mm/yy), but the actual underlying data
> is still 060106.  I was hoping when I used the XL2QIF add-in and exported the
> data to the qif file, the numbers would be as they were displayed in the cell
> as opposed to the actual underlying data, because Money seems to want the qif
> file to be dd/mm/yy.
>
> When I use the XL2QIF converter, the qif is created, and when I import into
> Money, the value 060106 comes in as January 6, 2006, instead of June 1, 2006.
>  I can't find in Money 2007 where I can instruct the program to handle the
> dates differently.  I also do not see any way to change how XL2QIF handles
> the export of the date field.
>
> This has nothing to do with my regional settings as far as I understand
> them, because my regional settings are already set to mm/dd/yy, and always
> have been.
>
> Is there any way to tell Money 2007 that inside my qif file, the date format
> of the incoming data is mm/dd/yy (which matches my regional settings, btw...)
> and NOT dd/mm/yy???  OR, is this a problem with the creation of my QIF in the
> first place???
>
> I'm going nuts <insert bad language here...>
>
> Thank you so much!!!
> --
> J. Raines
Hi,

Here is a QIF export from my bank for check Number 2973 in the amount of
Fifty dollars.

Notice the Date field is MM/DD/YYYY

Opened QIF with NotePad, copy and pasted below.

!Type:BANK
D12/28/2006
C*
T-50.00
N02973
PCHECK
MCHECK
^

The above QIF imports okay into my money.

Ken

"hisplaceresort" <hisplaceresort@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
| >  I can't find in Money 2007 where I can instruct the program to handle
the
| > dates differently.  I also do not see any way to change how XL2QIF
handles
| > the export of the date field.
| >
| > This has nothing to do with my regional settings as far as I understand
| > them, because my regional settings are already set to mm/dd/yy, and
always
| > have been.
| >
| > Is there any way to tell Money 2007 that inside my qif file, the date
format
| > of the incoming data is mm/dd/yy (which matches my regional settings,
btw...)
| > and NOT dd/mm/yy???  OR, is this a problem with the creation of my QIF
in the
| > first place???
| >
| > I'm going nuts <insert bad language here...>

Formatting a cell in Excel just changes the view to you, it doesn't change
the data. You could format the date column, then do a copy -> paste special
and paste the values into a new column. This can be formatted to how you
want - see if that helps in any way

--
Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money
http://money.mvps.org

See http://money.mvps.org/faq/default.aspx for tips and fixes for MS Money.
To send Microsoft your product wishes see http://money.mvps.org/wishes.aspx

> Good Evening!
>
> After a little trial and error, I am able to import account transactions
> from another system (not a bank statement, my actual register
> transactions)
> with little trouble except for the date format.
>
> (Before someone gets mad at me, I really don't think this has anything to
> do
> with my regional settings!)
>
> As recommended by an MVP from this forum, I open my CSV file with excel,
> then use a converter (add-in) called XL2QIF to create a qif output file.
>
> The actual "data" in a date field in my original csv file is "060106"
> (mm/dd/yy) which is June 1, 2006, for example.
>
> Once I open the csv file in Excel, I can "format the cell" and get the
> date
> to display in the cell as 01/06/06 (dd/mm/yy), but the actual underlying
> data
> is still 060106.  I was hoping when I used the XL2QIF add-in and exported
> the
> data to the qif file, the numbers would be as they were displayed in the
> cell
> as opposed to the actual underlying data, because Money seems to want the
> qif
> file to be dd/mm/yy.
>
> When I use the XL2QIF converter, the qif is created, and when I import
> into
> Money, the value 060106 comes in as January 6, 2006, instead of June 1,
> 2006.
> I can't find in Money 2007 where I can instruct the program to handle the
> dates differently.  I also do not see any way to change how XL2QIF handles
> the export of the date field.
>
> This has nothing to do with my regional settings as far as I understand
> them, because my regional settings are already set to mm/dd/yy, and always
> have been.
>
> Is there any way to tell Money 2007 that inside my qif file, the date
> format
> of the incoming data is mm/dd/yy (which matches my regional settings,
> btw...)
> and NOT dd/mm/yy???  OR, is this a problem with the creation of my QIF in
> the
> first place???
>
> I'm going nuts <insert bad language here...>
>
> Thank you so much!!!
> --
> J. Raines

0