Money 2007 performance - better than expected!

I recently upgraded from Money 2004 to 2007 - was sticking it out with
M'04 to the bitter end for being able to download transactions, both
because of the the horror stories with M'07 performance from folks
like Dick Watson and because MS seemed to be infinitely extending the
free 1 year bill pay  'trial' that came with M'04.

Anyway, I have a 65MB Money file with about 100 accounts, 9 years of
transactions and bill pay, and I was expecting the worst.  I have to
say that given my low expectations, I was pleasantly surprised.  Only
a few minor things were worse, and I didn't have any performance
issues at all - in fact I was switching accounts and realized that
Money was responding faster than I was used to - well within the half
second or so that I am used to.  Same computer, etc. (a pentium Duo
laptop running XP).  I just installed M'07, converted my file and was
able to pick up where I left off.  No need to nuke the bills or
anything like that.

One the other hand, I can't see anything that is better in M'07
either, but if I look at the purchase price as a fee for a few more
years of transaction downloads, its not a bad deal. I think M'07 also
fixes the problem with invisible downloaded transactions that I had to
work around.  And its a whole lot better than I was led to believe by
many of the comments made here.

SS

money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

In microsoft.public.money, Sandy Smith wrote:

>I recently upgraded from Money 2004 to 2007 - was sticking it out with
>M'04 to the bitter end for being able to download transactions, both
>because of the the horror stories with M'07 performance from folks
>like Dick Watson and because MS seemed to be infinitely extending the
>free 1 year bill pay  'trial' that came with M'04.
>
>Anyway, I have a 65MB Money file with about 100 accounts, 9 years of
>transactions and bill pay, and I was expecting the worst.  I have to
>say that given my low expectations, I was pleasantly surprised.  Only
>a few minor things were worse, and I didn't have any performance
>issues at all - in fact I was switching accounts and realized that
>Money was responding faster than I was used to - well within the half
>second or so that I am used to.  Same computer, etc. (a pentium Duo
>laptop running XP).  I just installed M'07, converted my file and was
>able to pick up where I left off.  No need to nuke the bills or
>anything like that.
>
>One the other hand, I can't see anything that is better in M'07
>either, but if I look at the purchase price as a fee for a few more
>years of transaction downloads, its not a bad deal. I think M'07 also
>fixes the problem with invisible downloaded transactions that I had to
>work around.  And its a whole lot better than I was led to believe by
>many of the comments made here.

You may not have noticed the multiple backup files. Default is 4. I
would increase that number, since disk space is cheap.  There are
other things, but that one affects everybody.

Clear Portfolio->UpdatePrices->UpdateAutomaticallyEvery__Minutes for
better speed when entering the portfolio view.
0
via_newsgroup (13114)
8/17/2007 9:43:12 PM
I had serious performance and stability issues in M06. Same in M07/+ UNLESS:
Nuke The Bills. The nuked file does much better--even acceptably or
better--on both accounts in M07/+.

Just for laughs--and to confirm that M+ still mangles M04 Food:Groceries--I
"upgraded" my last M04 data file from my historical backup. Runs like a
snail on downers in M+. That's the parent of the file that got the bills
nuked in M07 and ran/runs fine in M07/M+.

"Sandy Smith" <sandstones@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> the horror stories with M'07 performance from folks
> like Dick Watson

Hi Dick,

So your "nuke the bills" money file that runs on M07 ran fine when upgraded
to run on M+?

-- John

message news:eTtsrDS4HHA.5984@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>I had serious performance and stability issues in M06. Same in M07/+
>UNLESS: Nuke The Bills. The nuked file does much better--even acceptably or
>better--on both accounts in M07/+.
>
> Just for laughs--and to confirm that M+ still mangles M04
> Food:Groceries--I "upgraded" my last M04 data file from my historical
> backup. Runs like a snail on downers in M+. That's the parent of the file
> that got the bills nuked in M07 and ran/runs fine in M07/M+.
>
> "Sandy Smith" <sandstones@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> the horror stories with M'07 performance from folks
>> like Dick Watson

0
John1270 (149)
8/18/2007 2:03:00 AM
I'm only in test with M+ on the laptop, but no complaints relative to M07 so
far. (My "production" environment is still M07 on the desktop machine.) No
change of any consequence I've noticed so far benefits me, either, but so it
goes.

"JohnA" <John@TheAtas.org-spamguard> wrote in message
> So your "nuke the bills" money file that runs on M07 ran fine when
> upgraded to run on M+?

Outlook 2007 inbox stuck on "waiting to update"/embedded account i
I had one user who noticed at the bottom it said.. folder last updated at 12:00 pm.. (when of course it was later in the day).. they had no new emails.. it did say connected to Exchange.. All end users have Cached Exchange Mode on.. This is very odd.. i did find two workarounds.. First i did try removing the ost.. removing the profile.. I then re-added the account/profile.. All was fine until I added the second and third embedded exchange mailboxes. In this case it turned out the second embedded account was causing it to get stuck on "waiting to update" this folder, ...

Money secure over wireless ?
Family just bought a condo in Florida. It has free wireless internet BUT it's 802.11b not 802.11g, so it's not secure. ( and they can't change it for now ) Here's their question ... When in Money you select UPDATE PRICES ONLINE, (not Connect to Broker) is any confidential info being transmitted ? I always thought that the quotes server did just updates, but I'm not sure. Here's why : If it's "just updating the price" , then why doesn't the math for "Today's total change" and Gain etc change on my screen as the price changes ? I've...

Can't Delete My Spam E-mails in Outlook 2007
Hi: In Outlook 2003 I used to delete all my spam E-mails by going to Edit>Select All, which would highlight all of the spam E-mails for me, and then I'd just delete all of them. But in Outlook 2007 when I go to Edit>Select All, the individual E-mails all turn blue and are highlighted, but Outlook also freezes-up on me at the same time, requiring me to need to close Outlook altogether every time. Do you have any recommendations for solving this problem? Thanks. Jim "JimG" <JimG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01212FEC-D2F7-41...

Macros in Access 2007
Hello, I have a database ported from Access 2002 to Access 2007 and I cannot figure out how to go to a specific macro and either edit it or rename it. Pressing Macro on the Ribbon I get a design page for creating a new macro but how do I edit an existing macro. The only thing I'm able to do is create or run a macro. Thanks, Vic Display the navigation pane if it is not showing. Single click on the macro with the mouse. Ctrl+Enter on the Macro or Right Click on the Macro will take you to edit it. "AnandaSim" <AnandaSim@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1188968043.2...

Microsoft Money 2007: Performance Reports Flawed
(I would much appreciateMicrosoft's response to the reported flaws listed below) #1. 1-Year Total Return Flaw Whatever 1-year returns of a particular stock we wish to calculate, Money always uses the start date a day earlier than it should be. This is best illustrated by assuming we want to calculate the 1-Year Total Return for the year to Dec 31, 2006. Strictly speaking, this period should run from Jan 1, 2006 to Dec 31, 2006. However, since the opening price for Jan 1, 2006 is the closing price for Dec 31, 2005, the correct dates to use are Dec 31, 2005 to Dec 31, 2006. However,...

Excel 2007 Won't open files
Hello, when I try to open a file on Excel it just hangs, no error messages and windows doesn't even tell me it stopped responding (it does say 'not responding' on the title bar). I notice it says "running virus scan" I've turned of the virus scanner and it still won't open. It worked well when I first installed it, So i did re-install. Still won't open file. FYI, I have Vista, My computer meets the requirement, Its Microsoft Office Excel 2007 (part of the office pack) Thanks, Dez. If you're double-clicking files to open them that is a very common proble...

MS Money Plus H&B Assets/Home Inventory...???
Under Asset Accounts if Money I currently have my car, my business, and my home there as asset accounts. Is this where I should also include business assets like computers, machinery, etc? I started looking in the help for information about Assets and I actually came across something about "Home Inventory Worksheet." This is interesting and I'd like to use the features help says it has (ie. storing information about the item including scanned images of the receipt and the item itself.) My problem, though, is that the help file says to go the My Money home page, which I...

Anyway of accessing the internet from within excel 2007?
Anyway of accessing the internet from within excel 2007? THANKS Robin Use a hyperlink. -- Gary''s Student - gsnu201001 "Ron" wrote: > Anyway of accessing the internet from within excel 2007? > > THANKS > Robin Data, From Web is one way Ron wrote: > Anyway of accessing the internet from within excel 2007? > > THANKS > Robin ...

Access 2007 instability/crashing
Hi everyone, I've had some issues with a project converted from A2003 now crashing in Access 2007 after a week or two of dev work. In case anyone else is in the same boat, here are some of the steps that I took that *seem* to have fixed the problems. The symptoms were that I couldn't open the code window without crashing, nor could I import all the objects into another DB. Please post any additional tips onto the back of my thread, since I think we may all be guinea pigs for A2007 at this point! 1. Convert to accdb format immediately. 2. Turn off Name AutoCorrect options (thanks to ...

Reclassify an Investment from a STock to a Money market intestment
How do I reclassify Reclassify an Investment from a Stock to a Money market intestment In microsoft.public.money, DB wrote: >How do I reclassify Reclassify an Investment from a Stock to a Money market >intestment > It is not trivial, but not as hard as it first appears. A few minutes should do it. In the details, remove the symbol, and rename the existing investment to something you will never use. Let's suppose you choose zzzz. Create a new investment with the correct type, name and symbol. Go back to investment zzzz and choose View: Investment Details. Change each...

Money 2004 Deluxe and multiple network users
Is MS Money 2005 now "network aware"? In other words, can I set up a money file so that two users can access it across a home network without worrying about whether or not the other user is already in the file, thus causing corruption? I did a quick test which would suggest yes, but I want to triple check. Here's what I did: 1. Copied my money file to a safe location 2. Opened it on one computer (A) 3. Walked to another computer (B), opened it there as well 4. Opened A to Home page. 5. Opened B to Home page, then went to downloaded statements and accepted some transaction. 6. O...

Has anyone purchased a retail version of Money Plus (2008) yet?
Following through on the title, from a B&M store? And if yes, which store? Since spotting Money Plus Premium 2008 on Costco's website at the very nice price of $40, I thought I'd wait until the release date and pick it up at a Costco B&M warehouse. So last week at a local Costco, I asked if it will be available in store, and they said no. Called a different warehouse today, and got the same answer, but with a more detailed explanation. They said "it's not showing in our inventory system for the store". The further explanation was an item shows up in thei...

Money 2006 Backups
I uninstalled Money 2002 and installed money 2006. When money closes I have it set to backup to a flashcard. The problem is that it keeps creating additional backups even though I have it set to only keep the most recent 2 backups. I have tried turning this on and off and even setting it to keep only 1 backup. Any ideas? Thanks I have 1 backup copy set from Options > Backup settings and it works. I had one file set as 2 and that worked fine. Running M2006 too. I have 4 data files. I am not backing up to any non local hdd as I periodically copy files to another computer. You cou...

MSN Money
M2004 - I wanted to compare charts/ ROR of two mutual funds ( as I've done before). I tried to get a chart in Money this morning and I get directed to: http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/controls/upgradechoice.asp?target=%2Finvestor%2Fcharts%2Fcharting%2Easp%3FSymbol%3D Where I read: A new version of the MSN Money Investment Toolbox, including the Portfolio Manager, has just been released. You�ll need to either upgrade to the current version or use the Basic Investment Toolbox to view your data. So I chose BASIC ( no download) on right part of window and get same screen over and...

Open two episodes or two money files at the same time
Hello, I am using MS Money 2007 standard on XPSP2. Is it possible to open two episodes or two money files at the same time? I cannot seem to find a way to do so. -- Thanks, Bob In microsoft.public.money, BBran wrote: >Hello, > >I am using MS Money 2007 standard on XPSP2. > >Is it possible to open two episodes or two money files at the same time? I >cannot seem to find a way to do so. No. Instead open one on your nearby laptop and one on the desktop. Or print information from one file to compare to the information on the other file. CutePDF or PDF995 can be useful...

Grouping per page in 2007
I need 1 customer per page who may have several records per customer. I followed a prior thread and made a group header, and set force new page property to before section. When I open the report it has several customers per page. If I go to design view and then preview the report it displays properly. I'm stumped! Sounds like you are opening the report in Report view (or possibly Layout view), rather than Print Preview. The other views don't have the concept of a 'page' the way preview does. Open the report in design view, and set its Default View property to Print Pre...

How do I add additional custom views in Portfolio Mgr in 2007?
I just upgraded to MS Money 2007 from 2003 and I can't seem to figure out how to add additional custom views in my Portfolio Manager. I could do that in 2003. I don't see a way to do that in 2007. Am I missing something? I would have one view showing all my investments, a "custom" one showing just my taxable accounts and another "custom" one showing my retirement accts. I'm hoping someone is going to tell me there is a way to do this! Thanks, Mark In microsoft.public.money, ATHiker95 wrote: >I just upgraded to MS Money 2007 from 2003 and I can't se...

Custom Fields in Project 2007
In Enterprise Project 2007, is it possible to add additional custom fields? Currently i can see 10 cost fields and 20 number fields and would like to add more -- GDD Gary D -- Your question sounds like Project Server; if so, please post your future questions in the microsoft.public.project.server newsgroup, as this newsgroup is dedicated to the Microsoft Project desktop application only. In Project Server, the administrator does not create custom enterprise fields in Project Professional 2007. Instead, he/she creates custom enterprise fields using the PWA interface, and ...

"Sending messages x of x" in Outlook 2007 status bar
Hello, When I send a message in Outlook 2007, appears "sending message x of x" where x is greater than 1. I read that it seems automatic responses, but automatic responses are deactivated. Any idea? Thanks for your time, Thunder It's a bug in outlook- x-1 should = the number of email accts in your profile. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Ex...

partial account synch with Money for Pocket PC
I have a Money 2004 installation with 2 accounts which synch to the Money Pocket PC without problems. I now created a new account and this account does not get synchronized. It also does not show up in ActiveSynch 3.7.1. I deleted one of the existing accounts and it gets removed from the Pocket PC. But the new account still does not get added. The new account is the same type (Cash or other) like the other accounts. The only difference is that it is in Swiss Francs (CHF) and not in US$. Any idea? Peter ...

Outlook 2007 appointments being removed from calendar
We have a handful of users supporting VP's, and have editor permissions to the VP calendars. Periodically a recurring meeting will be moved to another date or time, and when meeting attendees accept the invitation, it doesn't reflect on their calendar. We believe this started happening after a migration from Office 2003 to Office 2007. In that same timeframe, we upgraded our Blackberry servers to the most current version. I mention this because I had a user on the same recurring meeting that was moved accept the meeting in Outlook, but her blackberry doesn't refle...

Money 2002-cash flow doesn't adjust after transaction
Hi. Because I currently live off of my savings, I have set up a budget in Money 2002 that regularly allows for transfers from a savings account into my checking account- -to reflect as though it's my income. I created an income category called"transfers from budget accounts." (I can see how this could be a problem if money does not recognize this as an "income.") Before I did this, however, I couldn't figure out how to make the budget planner make it's calculations without showing me in the red. So I opted to work around the problem like that. Pe...

Newsletter Email not sending in Publisher 2007
I create newsletters for my business and send them out to customers. Currently, I use Publisher 2007. Until about a month ago, I never have had an issue with them being sent via email. This past week, I created two new newsletters and sent them out using Outlook 2007. The email appears to send without any problem. The problem is that although Outlook says it was sent, but the message was never delivered. I've tried this with all three email addresses on my computer, and cannot get delivery receipt, or even receive them myself. I've got two different types of email account...

2 validate Levels in EPM 2007
Hi all, I'm using the Microsoft Project Server 2007 Service Pack 3, and in the installing process, the client ask me a good question, could we set 2 levels of validation the my tasks? I know that we could do that with timesheets, but could we do with the option "My tasks"?? If so, how could i do that? thanks for the attention people, hope you can help me. Best regards Helder -- No, there is no way to set two levels of approval for task updates from the My Tasks page. Task updates always go to a single Status Manager for each task. There is no way to engin...

Performance issue opening Excel 2002 workbook in Excel 2003
Hi, My finance department is having a problem with a large spreadsheet created with Excel 2002. It's full of calculations and external links. The file opens in a few seconds in Excel 2002, but takes as long as 2-3 minutes in Excel 2003. The status at the bottom often gets stuck on "Calculating Cells: 5%" Any ideas on what's going on, or some procedures to follow to find the problem? Thanks, -jb ...