Money 2007 - Network drive to use multiple PCs?

Howdy,

I have 2 PCs with Money 2007 on them.  Can I store the main MNY file on a
network share and then access it from both PCs (not at the same time
obviously)?  Just not sure if everything is stored in that one file or if I'd
run into any problems doing it that way.

Anyone know for sure?
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

In microsoft.public.money, Mr B wrote:

>I have 2 PCs with Money 2007 on them.  Can I store the main MNY file on a
>network share and then access it from both PCs (not at the same time
>obviously)?  Just not sure if everything is stored in that one file or if I'd
>run into any problems doing it that way.
>
>Anyone know for sure?

If you did that, you would want to make *SURE* to not have the file
open with two instances at the same time.

You would probably want your daily scheduled backups to go to each
machine's hard drive to minimize the problem of server failure. You
would want to expand the number of backups from 4 of each type to
maybe 20 of each type, in case you had a problem that you did not
discover right away.

It is not a supported thing.
0
Cal
11/14/2009 6:31:04 PM
It isn't designed to work.

It may work OK for a while.

It will be dog slow.

IF you ever get the file opened twice at once, bad things--data
corruption--is very common.

"Mr B" <MrB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I have 2 PCs with Money 2007 on them.  Can I store the main MNY file on a
> network share and then access it from both PCs (not at the same time
> obviously)?  Just not sure if everything is stored in that one file or if
> I'd
> run into any problems doing it that way.
>
> Anyone know for sure?

0
Dick
11/14/2009 10:06:21 PM
My 2 PCs are networked peer-to-peer and each has Money 2000 installed.
Each can open a ***.mny file stored on the other PC - no problems - as well
as any ***.mny file of its own HDD.
In this arrangement the in-use PC (whichever) will always try to store the
backup it wants to make (on exit) on its own HDD even when it has been
processing a ***.mny file that it saw thro the network. I've never managed
to make the in-use PC put the backup on the other machine's HDD (ie
alongside the ***.mny file that it had seen thro the network). I hope that
makes sense. Perhaps this is just a quirk of peer-to-peer networks where
neither end is Boss.

teabag

"Mr B" <MrB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Howdy,
>
> I have 2 PCs with Money 2007 on them.  Can I store the main MNY file on a
> network share and then access it from both PCs (not at the same time
> obviously)?  Just not sure if everything is stored in that one file or if
> I'd
> run into any problems doing it that way.
>
> Anyone know for sure?

0
teabag
11/14/2009 10:32:44 PM
If you set the backup path to a UNC path, it will backup to that path.
(E.g., \\myserver\myshare\MyMoneyBackup.) The location to backup to is
stored in the file. So, the share path will be the same from ANY machine
doing the backup.

I've been backing up on exit this way for many years now.

"teabag" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message
> My 2 PCs are networked peer-to-peer and each has Money 2000 installed.
> Each can open a ***.mny file stored on the other PC - no problems - as
> well as any ***.mny file of its own HDD.
> In this arrangement the in-use PC (whichever) will always try to store the
> backup it wants to make (on exit) on its own HDD even when it has been
> processing a ***.mny file that it saw thro the network. I've never managed
> to make the in-use PC put the backup on the other machine's HDD (ie
> alongside the ***.mny file that it had seen thro the network). I hope that
> makes sense. Perhaps this is just a quirk of peer-to-peer networks where
> neither end is Boss.
>
> teabag
>

> "Mr B" <MrB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Howdy,
>>
>> I have 2 PCs with Money 2007 on them.  Can I store the main MNY file on a
>> network share and then access it from both PCs (not at the same time
>> obviously)?  Just not sure if everything is stored in that one file or if
>> I'd
>> run into any problems doing it that way.
>>
>> Anyone know for sure?

0
Dick
11/15/2009 1:33:20 AM
Thanks Dick, you are right.

I realised, just after I had sent my last post, that by prefixing \\ in the
pathname I should be able to identify a location for the backup on the
'other' PC - one day I'll try it.

teabag

message news:e51vfOZZKHA.5852@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> If you set the backup path to a UNC path, it will backup to that path.
> (E.g., \\myserver\myshare\MyMoneyBackup.) The location to backup to is
> stored in the file. So, the share path will be the same from ANY machine
> doing the backup.
>
> I've been backing up on exit this way for many years now.

0
teabag

Money Plus
I can't believe there is no way to print a list of all categories - no totals or transactions, just the categories. And... perhaps with the tax settings, etc. Tell me I'm wrong -- please! Mike In microsoft.public.money, Mr. Wizard wrote: >I can't believe there is no way to print a list of all categories - no >totals or transactions, just the categories. > >And... perhaps with the tax settings, etc. > >Tell me I'm wrong -- please! OK. You are wrong. ;-) Clue me in then, Cal! So far I find the reporting very lacking in Money Plus Deluxe. Every rep...

vlookup w/ multiple data in a single cell
Is it possible to have a cell contain two pieces of informaton (e.g., A1 ="Me, You"), a vlookup statement to look for each pece of informaton in that cell (e.g., first "Me", then "You") in another sheet, and display the match in B1? Sheet 1 A1 = "Me, You" B1 = (after vlookup) "Art, Joe" Sheet 2 A1 = "Me" and B1 = "Art" A2 = "You" and B2 = "Joe" I tried all different kinds of =VLOOKUP with different functions, and I can't figure t out, of course I assume its possble to even use VLOOKUP ...

Reminder Date in Outlook 2007
Hi I would appreciate help with this problem. I often set reminders on e- mails using the Right click on the e-mail in my inbox and selecting Add Reminder... My problem is that the default date for the reminder is:01 January 4501 at 08:30 am. I am perfectly happy with the time, but cannot find where to change the default date for this option. My computer date and time are correct, and so is my calendar in Outlook working on the correct date. I am running Windows XP Home SP3 and Office 2007 SP1. Thanks Heather ...

Adding an extra drive to an existing DPM RAID 5 set
We have an existing hardware RAID array where our DPM data resides and I need to add an extra disk. If I add the drive to the existing array will DPM detect the extra drive space automatically or if I rescan the drives? What is the recommended method of doing this? There would be more space, but as far as DPM is concerned it is still using one virtual disk. Thanks... On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 11:52:27 -0800 (PST), Phillip Wendell <phillipwendell@yahoo.com> wrote: >We have an existing hardware RAID array where our DPM data resides and >I need to add an extra disk. If I ad...

How to save MS Money program updates?
I wish to archive software updates to Microsoft Money on my computer's disk drive. What I mean is, I would like to be able to obtain the latest version of the MS Money program without going through Microsoft's network servers. In particular, I would like to be able to 1. Install MS Money from the Microsoft CD-ROM that I bought. 2. Execute one or more update/installer files stored on my own PC. How to obtain the update/installer file(s) in step 2. above? I have the latest version, Microsoft Money Plus Premium 17.0.125.1415 expiring 11/23/2009. Thanks for any suggestions. -- David A...

CListCtrl & multiple row selection
How can I enable/disable multiple rows selection from code? Turn the single selection property on or off in the resource editor Miki Peric wrote: > How can I enable/disable multiple rows selection from code? > > -- ___________________________________________ Van Gennep - Media Automation Consulting bv Burg. Stramanweg 105 1101 AA Amsterdam The Netherlands Phone: +31-20-697 6029 Fax: +31-20-697 2249 E-mail: mkools@vangennep.nl WWW: http://www.vangennep.nl WWW: http://www.vangennep.com ___________________________________________ I need it at run time. ...

Moving Money 2000 to new computer needs password
Hi - I received a new computer and I am moving all of me software from the old one before I get rid of it. I installed the copy of Money 2000 that I had on the old computer. When I copy my msmoney.mny file to the new computer and attemt to open it, it says I need to enter the password for the file. Problem is, I never created a password for it, so I can open the file. Any suggestions? In microsoft.public.money, Wes wrote: >Hi - > > I received a new computer and I am moving all of me software from the old >one before I get rid of it. I installed the copy of Money ...

Error 1004 using array in Sheet select.
If I select a sheet with its real name: Sheets("Sheet1").Select >>>>>- Works fine Sheets(Array("Sheet1", "Sheet2")).Select >>>>>- Works fine If I assign the sheet name(s) to a constant Public Const TSGSheet1 = "Sheet1" Public Const TSGSheet2 = "Sheet2" Sheets(TSGSheet1).Select >>>>>- Works fine Sheets(TSGSheet2).Select >>>>>- Works fine Sheets(Array(TSGSheet1, TSGSheet2)).Select >>>>>- fails with Error 1004 My macro's/V...

how to use XPath function "ms:string-compare" in .NET
Hi, Can anyone point me why the following code is not working for me? Its giving me an error while executing "SelectNodes" ... I have strugled for almost one full day.. I am comaratively new to XSL and XSLT concepts. I appriciate any kind help. Thanks, Bhavin. CODE: ********************************************************************** Private Sub Save() Dim xmldocRoot As New XmlDocument() Dim xmlnodeChildNode As XmlNode Dim xmlnodeAttributeNode As XmlNode xmldocRoot.Load("C:\ACBD.XML") 'Dim xsltcon As Xml.Xsl.XsltContext Dim ns As New XmlNamespaceManager(xml...

Office 2007
I am replacing my PC and have Office 2007 on it. I cannot find the original CD and am wondering if I can run it from an external disk, because I plan on pulling the hard drive out of my old PC and using it as an external disk for my new PC. Will Office 2007 run from it? In article <26C00CCD-2C28-4685-BB55-71E97B4789C4@microsoft.com>, dnar <dnar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am replacing my PC and have Office 2007 on it. I cannot find the original > CD and am wondering if I can run it from an external disk, because I plan on > pulling the hard dr...

Money 2005 activation?
I'm considering upgrading but don't agree with what product activation means to me as a customer. Nevertheless, I don't want to get into any arguments over the ethics. What I want to know is does the Money 2005 product I can purchase on CD use product activation? I checked out Microsoft's site as well as the product box doesn't say it does...even though I recall an older version did. That's precisely why I didn't upgrade at the time and can't believe Microsoft would dump the 'feature.' Anyone know? Rick. -+--- rpali@alienshore.com http://www.alienshor...

using outlookweb access
Hi, i don't know if any one can help me on this. Here it is. I am using microsoft Outlook webaccess to access my e- mail from the office while i am at home. But i also want to be able to browse my company's network at home also, and have access to files and folders,so that i can do work from home. Is this possible. Please resond, this is very urgent. They could set up VPN for you... "Anna" <annam@patnt.com> wrote in message news:04ed01c3a391$ed4a70d0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, i don't know if any one can help me on this. Here it > is. I am using micros...

Mail rules with multiple conditions in subject/body (OR vs AND)
Using Outlook 2007. I need a mail rule that runs if the subject contains "apples" AND "oranges" AND the body contains "bananas" (it's okay if bananas is also in the subject). But when creating rules, the conditions automatically become "OR" statements and there seems to be no way to change them to "AND" statements. Does anyone know a way around this? Thank you! You'll have to create additional rules. For an example see; http://www.msoutlook.info/question/220 -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuri...

How to download & use old product key
I bought my version of Office 2007 in Nov. 2008. New laptop came today. I still have the old product key, but can't access my purchase history on the website. How can I download & install Office 2007 on this new computer with my old product key? I'm ONLY going to be using this new laptop from here on out. Did you keep all the downloaded files on the old laptop? Do you have the original e-mail with the download instructions? Have you tried contacting Digital River? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intac...

PowerPoint 2007 Printing issues
Hi, This issue has been driving me crazy: we have presentations that have linked excel tables and pictures, and everything looks awesome in print preview and presentation mode, but when I print, some linked excel tables and pictures just show blank. I have played around with it, and the only way to guarantee it prints is to paste everything as Bitmap picture, but we need the linked Excel table function to save tons of time cutting and pasting. As I said, some of the tables will print, but some of them don't, which is driving me nuts, and everything is fine electronical...

use of Staionery for replies and forwards
I am using the "stationery" function rather than the "signature" function to put a header and a Sincerely Yours in my outgoing emails. That way the spell checker still functions. Problem is that it doesn't come up in when I reply or forward an email. I would like it to Help please... You cannot have the Stationary to be functioning while you reply o forward to messages. This is because the Stationary tends to be th background and so for a forward or a reply you cannot have tha functionality SudharsonA -----------------------------------------------------------------...

Multiple signatures #3
Hi I have two accounts in my outlook and I have each assigned a different signature under Tools->Options-Mail Format. When I create a new message, I have an Accounts toolbar button which I can use to select which account I want to send email from. The problem is that when I switch the account here the signature does not change. What is the proper way to setup different signatures for different account? Thanks Regards To get the signature to change when you switch accounts, you need to be = using Word as your email editor, which is a setting on the same dialog. --=20 Sue Mosher,...

IP Sec with DPM 2007 or DPM 2010
Hi, we are about to implement IP Sec for a group of servers which will be backed up by DPM. I wanted to find out if there are any restrictions regarding backing up IP Sec hosts vs non IP Sec hosts in the same domain. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks! There is no restrictions on IP sec policies on DPM as IP sec policies work at much lower layer than what DPM uses. But the policies should be in such a way that both DPM and Production servers should be able to communicate with each other, like network share browsing etc..(any windows applications between these two machines...

Microsoft Money 2004 Deluxe #2
I received a pop-up message that my 2004 version of MS Money Deluxe would expire on 9/1/2007. It said that I would loose online services. I see that the 2007 Version has changed the three year online service capability to two years. Are there any other reduced functions in 2007 deluxe vs 2004 deluxe? Also, I seem to recall that MS Money updates have come out in the summertime in the past. Can anyone verify this? Al Some things in M07 that changed from previous versions: 1) No more multi-select projected balance in Bills. 2) They are trying to hide and then deprecate Advanced Bud...

Laptop client installation for multiple domain users
Hi, We have CRM 3.0 server installed.we have 2 domains one is for india and second is for USA users. server is in India domain. USA users want to install outlook client,when they are installing it is saying that unable to connect to that crmserver.May be the server is down. How do i connect the CRM server from different domain. I have seen some trust relationships concept between the domains in implementation guide.I didnt understand much. Anybody knows Pls help me. Hello, Try have the user in USA accessing the CRM server by using the url in Internet Explorer. eg. http://yourcrmserver:5...

Option Assignments in Money Plus Delux
I do option trading as part of my investment activities. I can record the purchase and sale of options (either call or put, short or long), which is fine. However, I do not find a way to handle assignments resulting from being short in call or put options. Need help on this issue, thanks. In microsoft.public.money, Durai wrote: >I do option trading as part of my investment activities. I can record the >purchase and sale of options (either call or put, short or long), which is >fine. However, I do not find a way to handle assignments resulting from being >short in call or ...

How to use Outlook express
hi, is it possible to set up outlook exp. but not allow it to be the default mail client? i'd like to 'check' the link on a page that says: 'contact' and have that email address come up in outlook exp., then copy/paste the address to my own AT&T mail service but not use outlook express for anything else. as of now, i have outlook exp. disconnected altogether and do not wish to use it other than to open up a link. all responses on this are welcome......... thanx, jim Dear, This is an Outlook News group not Outlook Express - since you asked , here is the info for th...

Call for opinions on Visual Source Safe with Access 2007
I am at a point where I think that a solution like Visual Source Safe may make sense for my mult-developer environment. I did dabble with it back in the late 90's and found that it often resulted in corruption and other issues. (Damned if I can remember any specifics.) In any case, I am looking for any feedback on the current state of this product from actual users. I am expecting migrate to Acc2007 soon and think it might be a good time to put the project under better source control. I am most interested in what limitations and/or problems you may have encountered as users and ...

Multiple combined formulas ?
I am not sure what combinations of formula’s are needed to lookup an item, evaluate multiple results and list the result. Here is a sample scenario: ID Item Result 1234 Degree 30 1234 Degree 15 1234 Method Hand 456 Style Green 789 Degree 30 1023 Degree 15 1023 Degree 10 1023 Method Foot I need to be able to lookup the ID number e.g. “1234” in column A, evaluate all the item responses for 1234 that match, e.g. “Degree” in column B and then evaluate the results for all the items called “Degree” for ID 1234 and then if the Result is e.g. 30, record 30 in the cell. Hope I have explained it...

Running pfmigrate multiple times
Hi I ran the pfmigrate already without the /d option afterward. This means that the PFs still exist on both exch55 and exch2k3. Using ESM on e2k3 to view exch55 PFs shows nothing but using the Exch55 admin program shows all the PFs still exist on the old exch55. My questions are 1. Can I run the pfmigrate again and if (yes/no) was is the coincequences of doing this 2. What is the effect of changing the HOME SERVER attribute on the PFs in Exch555 using the exch55 adminstrator prog while both exists on E2k3 and Exch55? 3. How do I check the HOME SERVER attribute in E2k3? 4. I want to get rid ...