Money 2006 - Archive?

I have not archived my Money file for a couple of years - last archive was
"2004 Archive.mny".  I tried creating an archive using Money 2006 today and
I got a file called "2006 Archive.mny" -so far so good.  I told Money to
back up all transactions prior to 1/1/2007.   I checked all the accounts it
showed me.  Unfortunately the sized of my active Money file did not change
and it would appear that no entries were deleted.  The file is the same size
as before the archive process.  I opened the Archive file and it looks like
there are "random" entries - some accounts have transactions from prior to
2007 and some accounts have only transactions from April 2007!!  Where did I
go wrong?  I know previous versions of Money let me archive and it did what
I thought it should do - at least get rid of the old entries that did not
effect an asset account.

0
krlorenz (43)
4/30/2007 11:02:34 AM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

On Apr 30, 7:02=EF=BF=BDam, "Ken" <krlor...@comcast.net> wrote:
> I have not archived my Money file for a couple of years - last archive was
> "2004 Archive.mny". =A0I tried creating an archive using Money 2006 today=
 and
> I got a file called "2006 Archive.mny" -so far so good. =A0I told Money to
> back up all transactions prior to 1/1/2007. =A0 I checked all the account=
s it
> showed me. =A0Unfortunately the sized of my active Money file did not cha=
nge
> and it would appear that no entries were deleted. =A0The file is the same=
 size
> as before the archive process. =A0I opened the Archive file and it looks =
like
> there are "random" entries - some accounts have transactions from prior to
> 2007 and some accounts have only transactions from April 2007!! =A0Where =
did I
> go wrong? =A0I know previous versions of Money let me archive and it did =
what
> I thought it should do - at least get rid of the old entries that did not
> effect an asset account.

Ken,
        You really screwed up your Money file by archiving. If you
really did this before in 2004 you probably have no idea what you are
really doing or why you are doing it. I am sorry my reply is so cruel,
but this newsgroup has been telling Money users for years DO NOT
ARCHIVE. The process does not do what a normal person thinks it should
do. It really screws up your history and has no real benefits. I doubt
you can recover from this unless you are willing to do a lot of manual
reentry. I'll leave it it one of the regulars to explain to you that
the best way to save ALL your data in Money is to just backup your
file regularly. Good luck to you. Steve

0
sjcohen730 (458)
4/30/2007 11:29:02 AM
Well, dumb as I am, trusting Microsoft Money, I did have a current backup
and I did restore it almost immediately.  Now, tell me the backup restore
function doesn't work and I'll go buy Quicken after using Money since the
day it came out!!

"Steve" <sjcohen730@aol.com> wrote in message
On Apr 30, 7:02´┐Żam, "Ken" <krlor...@comcast.net> wrote:
> I have not archived my Money file for a couple of years - last archive was
> "2004 Archive.mny". I tried creating an archive using Money 2006 today and
> I got a file called "2006 Archive.mny" -so far so good. I told Money to
> back up all transactions prior to 1/1/2007. I checked all the accounts it
> showed me. Unfortunately the sized of my active Money file did not change
> and it would appear that no entries were deleted. The file is the same
> size
> as before the archive process. I opened the Archive file and it looks like
> there are "random" entries - some accounts have transactions from prior to
> 2007 and some accounts have only transactions from April 2007!! Where did
> go wrong? I know previous versions of Money let me archive and it did what
> I thought it should do - at least get rid of the old entries that did not
> effect an asset account.

Ken,
        You really screwed up your Money file by archiving. If you
really did this before in 2004 you probably have no idea what you are
really doing or why you are doing it. I am sorry my reply is so cruel,
but this newsgroup has been telling Money users for years DO NOT
ARCHIVE. The process does not do what a normal person thinks it should
do. It really screws up your history and has no real benefits. I doubt
you can recover from this unless you are willing to do a lot of manual
reentry. I'll leave it it one of the regulars to explain to you that
the best way to save ALL your data in Money is to just backup your
file regularly. Good luck to you. Steve

0
krlorenz (43)
4/30/2007 11:43:19 AM
In microsoft.public.money, Ken wrote:

>I have not archived my Money file for a couple of years - last archive was
>"2004 Archive.mny".  I tried creating an archive using Money 2006 today and
>I got a file called "2006 Archive.mny" -so far so good.  I told Money to
>back up all transactions prior to 1/1/2007.   I checked all the accounts it
>showed me.  Unfortunately the sized of my active Money file did not change
>and it would appear that no entries were deleted.  The file is the same size
>as before the archive process.  I opened the Archive file and it looks like
>there are "random" entries - some accounts have transactions from prior to
>2007 and some accounts have only transactions from April 2007!!  Where did I
>go wrong?  I know previous versions of Money let me archive and it did what
>I thought it should do - at least get rid of the old entries that did not
>effect an asset account.

Archive makes/is a copy of your file as it existed at the time of
archive, and removes non-investment older transactions from the
continuing file. An archive file is named something like "2006
Archive.mny".

Those who expect the file to be significantly smaller or faster
after archiving are usually disappointed. Some expect a way to
re-integrate old an new transactions. Those people, like the great
majority, should not archive.

A backup file is named something like *.mbf.

Money 2006 and newer make more than one backup file. With earlier
versions, the user should do this manually, plus should be sure to
back up to more than one media, such as USB flash drive; what if the
hard drive crashes?

0
via_newsgroup (13114)

Money Break Up
I am also wondering if there is a way to take a $ value and get it broken down to the notes/coin required for cash. e.g. is I have to pay $285.75 then it might look like this $285.75 5 under the $50 column, 1 under the $20 column, 1 under the $10 column, 1 under the $5 column, 1 under the 50cent column and 1 under the ..20cent column and 1 under the .5cent column. Thanks Mel Hi Mel In cells C1:M1 enter 50, 20, 10 etc. through to .01 for the denominations you wish to pay. In A2 enter the amount to be paid. Leave column B totally blank in cell C2 enter =INT(ROUND(($A2-SUMPRODUCT(($B$...

Corrupt MS Money Backup File
On accident, I deleted my ms money file, and it is long gone, although I tried an undelete program. I tried to restore my backup file, however, disk 1 was unreadable. I was able to recover the mbf file from the floppy using some special software, but still MS Money says it is corrupt. I even tried the repair utility in MS Money. Does anyone else have any ideas? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Kevin ...

Microsoft Money 2006
I recently recieved a Laptop with Vista and Microsoft Money 2006 installed. I am unable to connect to Countrywide Mortgage to download my account. It continues to say, try again later. Any suggestions. I called Countrywide and they have no information for me. Thanks, Net -- Net ...

Multiple archive folder
I find in my folder list more instances of "Archive folder". Trying to remove with "Close Active Folders" command i get the following error "The operation failed. An object could not be found" Has anyone some ideas !!! In my outlook profile I have only one Archive Folder ! By Antonio ...

from money to currency
Hi gurus I ned help on the following: I have a field on my table with data type Money, this field holds the data with 4 decimal digits. I am been request to present this information on a report but with 2 decimal and in currency, it has to convert from 4 decimal places to two decimal places. I need to do this convertion in my query? so it gets the info from the money field and then cast it to two decimal in my query,so I can use my query directly to present the info D.. hope this is not too confuse for you gurus, because I am getting dizzy already Thanks a bunch for...

Trouble Restoring Backup of Money 2002 to 2004
Let's continue the conversation on restoring backups a little bit. My HD crashed so I decided to upgrade to Money 2004 on the new disk. But now I can't restore my old data that goes back years. When I double click on the old mny or mbf files Money 2004 locks after trying to convert for a few seconds. Even the floppy backup I had will not work becuase the floopy can't be read for some reason. Am I screwed? Your thoughts are valued! Bob Can you copy the backup floppy to your hard disk? Try that and then try restoring from there. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP -...

How can I add transaction while using the online version of money
Ok... when I first bought Money several years ago and installed it on my home computer, I could then login while at work via the passport and see the information that I had entered on my home computer. If I purchased something during the day I could go online and add the transaction which was great way to know at any given moment what my TRUE balance was in my account. Now when I check my Money account online from work I can see all the information I've entered at home but now there is no way to add a new transaction other then from my home computer where I have Money installed. ...

MS Money Bank Accounts and Credit Cards Not Updating
Is anyone else having trouble getting their bank accounts and credit accounts to update? For the last TWO WEEKS! I have been waiting patiently to look at account transactions. When I update accounts, my account homepage shows that I have X transactions to read; but when I click to read the updates, they are not in my register. No number of iterations and refreshes has got the updates to show up. Money info central has had the same unhelpful message for the last week or so: "You may experience problems getting accounts to update in MSN Money or within Money 2005 or 2006.We are w...

Manually importing stock price history en masse into Money 2005
Hi, I have Money 2005 Deluxe (Didn't see any reason to upgrade to later versions, not much functional/features difference). I want to see how my investment portfolio did over a period of time (say 10 years). Since I installed Money in year 2005, I have all stock prices updates automatically since then (by using online stock price updates.) But I want to see performance before 2005 for historical and statistical purposes of my portfolio analysis. I can get all historical stock prices in Excel or text or in some other comma delimited format from MSN or Yahoo Finance (right from the ...

Money 2004 Install Wizard won't come back :(
I need to find out how to get the initial setup wizard to run. I was going through the initial set up of accounts, but had to stop. I closed Money, assuming that it would save to that point and re-open to where I was. But now when I start money, it does not give me the wizard. It opens to the program home page. I tried uninstalling the program (not that much was entered, so it was no big thing), but it still opens on the money home page when I re-install and open it again. What do I need to do to get it to start fresh???? Please help. Thanks Remove the "FOUR YOU" in my emai...

Can't start Money: Error on file "mnyob99.dll"
My OS is WinXP Home Ed. I just bought Money 2004 Standard. After installation, I tried to start the application but an error occured and shut it down. Error Msg: AppName: msmoney.exe AppVer: 12.0.0.613 ModName: mnyob99.dll ModVer: 12.0.0.613 Offset: 000dc6e5 Does anyone know how to overcome this? Thanks. Patrick Try the instructions in the article below to Modify the Shortcut: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;181008&Product=mny "Patrick" <cwt@idirect.ca> wrote in message news:03f101c3b253$ddb65690$a501280a@phx.gbl... > My OS is WinXP ...

Money 2002 downloading statments from bank
While downloading transactions from my bank (OFX) I have noticed that the amounts in the "Downloaded:" frame do not match my totals in my account. This used to work. I am not sure how to rectify this. The items in this frame does work Thanks ...

Money 2006, QFX & 2 Years Online Services
I am thinking about moving from Quicken 2002 to Mny 2006. My Banks provide QFX files. The way I've been using these is to logon to their web sites directly, download and save the qfx files, then double-click on them to open Quicken and import. I've tested opening the files with Mny06 and it seems to work ok. So, will I be able to continue doing this even after the 2 years of online services expire? I don't seem to be using any of their services with what I do. Thanks very much. Yes, you will. you just won't get the msn updates like quotes and automatic downloads. "pl...

Opening money 99 file on Money 2005
Hello Tried to open a money 99 file on money 2005. It says it's about to convert the old file to the new format, and make a backup before that. The progress window comes up and there's some progress until in the end i get the message "Money cannot open this file because it was created by an incompatible version". I created this file firstly on Money 98 and upgraded it later to 99 format. Any tips on how i can get my old file (been working on this file for 7 years, would hate to have it lost or not available with new version of Money) thanks In microsoft.public.mone...

Archiving #23
I basically have 2 questions. 1. Eventually, I am not going to need every old message in my inbox to stay in the inbox. How do you archive old messages and where does Outlook store them? Can they be retreived. 2. If your file is over 700meg and you want to burn a back up onto a CD, how can that be done on multiple CD's? Thanks! On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 04:54:41 GMT, Paul <pingramnet@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote: >I basically have 2 questions. > >1. Eventually, I am not going to need every old message in my inbox to >stay in the inbox. How do you archive old messages and whe...

Money Stopped Working Problem Solved! (or at least explained)
After the SP1 update my Money Plus Deluxe on Vista Ultimate would "stop working" when I selected Portfolio or Help. It turns out that the problem was a conflict with my Roboform program which is a password fill-in program that attaches itself to web pages in order to automatically enter my personal information. Because Portfolio and Help look like web pages to Roboform, it tries to attach and apparently crashes Money. If I stop Roboform before starting Money all is well. Alternatively, I can start Money "as administrator" and that will work too. In microsoft.publi...

OT...Free Trial...Digital Image Starter Edition 2006...OT
Announcing the availability of the Microsoft Digital Image Starter Edition 2006. This is a fully functional, downloadable trial version with all the bells and whistles of MS Digital Image Suite 2006. The program will revert to very limited functionality after the 60 day trial period. Microsoft Digital Image Starter Edition 2006 http://tinyurl.com/8x6ea Be aware that it's a 109 MB download.... BTW, this program includes Photo Story 3.1 and it has the capability to create VCDs. -- John Inzer Guess a dial-up connection might take a while, huh? ;-) -- JoAnn Paules MVP Micr...

Unremovable Duplicate Personal & Archive Folders
I have two Archive Folders and two Personal Folders showing in the folders list of Outlook 2001. I have uninstalled Office Outlook twice, gone to RegEdit to remove any stray Outlook registries and reinstalled Office Outlook. I still have duplicate folders along with all my original folders. I have tried the procedures recommended in MS FAQ but a message comes up sasying I cannot "Close the folders" because an "OBJECT" cannot be found. I have also tried renaming the folders but am not allowed to do so. I have backed up all folders in a .pst file so all I want to do ...

Money 2000 move
Hi Everyone, I am using Money 2000. I just bought a new computer and today I would like to transfer all my data. What is the best way to do this with MS Money 2000 so I don't loose any of the data or application setting? Many thanks, Anguel You will have to reinstall the application from the original CD. Copy over the .MNY data file(s) using a network, CD, or USB flash drive. Some settings will be lost in the new installation--printer settings for check alignment come to mind immediately--but some are stored in the data file. Best bet is to open both Options|Settings and comp...

Here's another good one... (Money 2005)
Money's Online Services for my Credit Union have downloaded my auto loan as a credit card. I can't change the account type and I can't merge it with another account. Does anyone know how to link the online services with my "REAL" loan account? || Aaron ...

MS Money is driving me crazy!
Hi, I make more data entry mistakes because of the "default" and auto entries in MS Money', in the posting of checks and deposits, and also in budget items and reports. My entries are not identical as MONEY would believe, so the automatic repetition of the prior entry, date, amount, payee, etc causes me much distress. I'd rather hand type the entry from the start, than have to erase the auto entry and retype. .. One area where there is no auto entry and there should be, is after posting a check or a deposit, the next empty line should be ready for data. I expect it would ...

MS Money Deluxe
I recently downloaded Money Deluxe 2008 to try it out, and would like to import my Quicken 2008 file. Money gives me an error indicating it cannot import Quicken '08 files; therefore, is there a way to get around this and use my quicken file, otherwise I don't believe I'll be able to use Money? Thanks, Greg In microsoft.public.money, gregh wrote: >I recently downloaded Money Deluxe 2008 to try it out, and would like to >import my Quicken 2008 file. Money gives me an error indicating it cannot >import Quicken '08 files; therefore, is there a way to get around ...

Money 2001 Not Responding
Several months ago my copy of Money 2001 started not responding almost every time I entered a transaction. I do have several years worth of transactions in the file. I'm running XP Professional. Not responding, EVER, or not responding soon? "jds92257" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:39775DD6-7B51-4A2C-9329-47C37867F3C2@microsoft.com... > Several months ago my copy of Money 2001 started not responding almost every time I entered a transaction. I do have several years worth of transactions in the file. I'm running XP Professional. I bet...

restore money 2003 upgrade??
In July I downloaded the trial version of Money 2003. I then purchased the upgrade offer (Money Deluxe 2003 English Upgrade From Money Trial). Recently I had some sort of problem with my computer that I only knew how to fix by completely reinstalling Windows XP. I went to locate the trial offer of Money 2003 and only found the international version. I downloaded that thinking I could live with favourite instead of favorite and so forth but - I can't figure out how to reinstall my upgrade and make everything work. I can't get help from Microsoft because they want my produc...

I just got a new system with Money 2003 preloaded and when attempting to open my backup file(on a floppy) from an earlier version of money all I get is a message that asks if I want to back up to floppy. If I click on "dont back up" all I get is the message "money is not properly installed. Please try set up again" Any idea what I might be doing wrong/not doing??? Help thanks Is it possible that you can reload Money from any disks supplied to you with the system? -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-...