Money 2005 won't restore back up file.

I run XP and have recently had to reload Money 2005 Premium and then tried to
restore my back up file with no success. The back up file was created with
the updated (by Microsoft) 2005 programme hence the the reloaded original
Money 2005 programme will not restore the back up file and the usual error
message appears.  I am unable to update my original Money 2005 programme as
Microsoft have stopped supporting this version as of last January according
to their website. Is there a way round this problem or is there an updated
version of Money 2005 Premium available out there for sale?  Failing the
foregoing does any one know whether Money 2008 Deluxe will restore or accept
the data in my 2005 back up file?  Any help with this problem would be
greatly appreciated here down under.

Regards

Michael Hooper
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

In message <F810B938-391A-4D6E-A079-C6202176303C@microsoft.com>, Michael
Hooper <MichaelHooper@discussions.microsoft.com> writes
>I run XP and have recently had to reload Money 2005 Premium and then tried to
>restore my back up file with no success. The back up file was created with
>the updated (by Microsoft) 2005 programme hence the the reloaded original
>Money 2005 programme will not restore the back up file and the usual error
>message appears.  I am unable to update my original Money 2005 programme as
>Microsoft have stopped supporting this version as of last January according
>to their website. Is there a way round this problem or is there an updated
>version of Money 2005 Premium available out there for sale?  Failing the
>foregoing does any one know whether Money 2008 Deluxe will restore or accept
>the data in my 2005 back up file?  Any help with this problem would be
>greatly appreciated here down under.
>
>Regards
>
>Michael Hooper

All you need to do is to open the default money file that is produced
when you install Money and do an online update to Money:
Tools->Internet Updates->Update Now
and "Get The Latest Money Updates"
Check afterwards that the update has run because sometimes it doesn't.
Repeat if necessary.

Afterwards you will be able to open your backup Money file.
You don't need to buy an updated version of Money.

--
Martin Beenham (martin at beenham dot me dot uk)
0

"Martin Beenham" wrote:

> In message <F810B938-391A-4D6E-A079-C6202176303C@microsoft.com>, Michael
> Hooper <MichaelHooper@discussions.microsoft.com> writes
> >I run XP and have recently had to reload Money 2005 Premium and then tried to
> >restore my back up file with no success. The back up file was created with
> >the updated (by Microsoft) 2005 programme hence the the reloaded original
> >Money 2005 programme will not restore the back up file and the usual error
> >message appears.  I am unable to update my original Money 2005 programme as
> >Microsoft have stopped supporting this version as of last January according
> >to their website. Is there a way round this problem or is there an updated
> >version of Money 2005 Premium available out there for sale?  Failing the
> >foregoing does any one know whether Money 2008 Deluxe will restore or accept
> >the data in my 2005 back up file?  Any help with this problem would be
> >greatly appreciated here down under.
> >
> >Regards
> >
> >Michael Hooper
>
> All you need to do is to open the default money file that is produced
> when you install Money and do an online update to Money:
> Tools->Internet Updates->Update Now
> and "Get The Latest Money Updates"
> Check afterwards that the update has run because sometimes it doesn't.
> Repeat if necessary.
>
> Afterwards you will be able to open your backup Money file.
> You don't need to buy an updated version of Money.
>
> --
> Martin Beenham (martin at beenham dot me dot uk)

Hi Martin

As I mentioned above, Money 2005 is no longer supported by Microsoft hence
when trying to update on line there is a blank page.  If you go to their
website it says that this version is no longer supported.  Two years was the
time limit I believe.  Frankly I'm disgusted that this sort of situation
occurs.  It means that unless a later version can read my back up file I've
lost about 7 years of information from an earlier version of money also.
Thanks for trying to help.

Regards

Michael Hooper
In microsoft.public.money, Michael Hooper wrote:

>As I mentioned above, Money 2005 is no longer supported by Microsoft hence
>when trying to update on line there is a blank page.  If you go to their
>website it says that this version is no longer supported.  Two years was the
>time limit I believe.  Frankly I'm disgusted that this sort of situation
>occurs.  It means that unless a later version can read my back up file I've
>lost about 7 years of information from an earlier version of money also.
>Thanks for trying to help.

I suggest you follow Martin's advice and open Sample.mny. Money 2005
is indeed still supported for some versions including the UK
version. While in the US it is not "supported", it still can
download the needed update to make the version be 14.0.*.1105.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
3/22/2008 5:09:29 PM

"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:

> In microsoft.public.money, Michael Hooper wrote:
>

> >As I mentioned above, Money 2005 is no longer supported by Microsoft hence
> >when trying to update on line there is a blank page.  If you go to their
> >website it says that this version is no longer supported.  Two years was the
> >time limit I believe.  Frankly I'm disgusted that this sort of situation
> >occurs.  It means that unless a later version can read my back up file I've
> >lost about 7 years of information from an earlier version of money also.
> >Thanks for trying to help.
>
> I suggest you follow Martin's advice and open Sample.mny. Money 2005
> is indeed still supported for some versions including the UK
> version. While in the US it is not "supported", it still can
> download the needed update to make the version be 14.0.*.1105.
>
> Hi Cal

As suggested I opened the Sample file but Microsoft would not update it to
the latest version.  Went back to the Microsoft support lifecycle page and it
clearly says that Mainstream support ceased 8/01/2008 and in the Extended
Support column it says "not applicable" and that seems to be that.  I have
emailed Microsoft asking whether Money 2008 will open and import my data from
my Money 2005 Premium back up file.  I await their reply with interest.
Thank you all for your interest and help.

Regards

Michael Hooper
What they mean by "mainstream support" is that if a major bug is found it
won't get fixed. In general MS stop bug fixing support (but not that they do
much of that anyway) 18 months after the next version is released.

This also applies if in fixing a bug in a later version they "break" an
earlier version that is "out of support" then they won't fix it.

PS when upgrading to a newer version you don't need to play around with
backups. On installing a newer version of Money (provided it is from same
region) it will find your old version's .mny file and upgrade it.

--
Regards
Bob Peel,

For UK tips & fixes see

"Michael Hooper" <MichaelHooper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:
>
>> In microsoft.public.money, Michael Hooper wrote:
>>

>> >As I mentioned above, Money 2005 is no longer supported by Microsoft
>> >hence
>> >when trying to update on line there is a blank page.  If you go to their
>> >website it says that this version is no longer supported.  Two years was
>> >the
>> >time limit I believe.  Frankly I'm disgusted that this sort of situation
>> >occurs.  It means that unless a later version can read my back up file
>> >I've
>> >lost about 7 years of information from an earlier version of money also.
>> >Thanks for trying to help.
>>
>> I suggest you follow Martin's advice and open Sample.mny. Money 2005
>> is indeed still supported for some versions including the UK
>> version. While in the US it is not "supported", it still can
>> download the needed update to make the version be 14.0.*.1105.
>>
>> Hi Cal
>
> As suggested I opened the Sample file but Microsoft would not update it to
> the latest version.  Went back to the Microsoft support lifecycle page and
> it
> clearly says that Mainstream support ceased 8/01/2008 and in the Extended
> Support column it says "not applicable" and that seems to be that.  I have
> emailed Microsoft asking whether Money 2008 will open and import my data
> from
> my Money 2005 Premium back up file.  I await their reply with interest.
> Thank you all for your interest and help.
>
> Regards
>
> Michael Hooper

0
bob_peel2056 (736)
3/24/2008 9:22:49 AM
On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 09:22:49 -0000, "Bob Peel, MVP"
<bob_peel@kiandra.freeserve.co.uk.INVALID> wrote:

>What they mean by "mainstream support" is that if a major bug is found it
>won't get fixed. In general MS stop bug fixing support (but not that they do
>much of that anyway) 18 months after the next version is released.
>
>This also applies if in fixing a bug in a later version they "break" an
>earlier version that is "out of support" then they won't fix it.
>
>PS when upgrading to a newer version you don't need to play around with
>backups. On installing a newer version of Money (provided it is from same
>region) it will find your old version's .mny file and upgrade it.
NOT TRUE. It tells you that it cannot read any older version. This is
a reason simple to abandon money and go back to Quicken or some other
thing that does not treat users this way.
Losing old data from a financial program is not nice and I won't EVER
use it again.
It did do the update but that did not help, apparently the updat3e
does not include the ability to read older files.
Think how many firms would sue them if they tried this with office
files.
Gil w0mn00@gmail.com
Hierro Candente, Batir de repente

w0mn00 (20)
3/25/2008 6:56:33 PM
Gil,
You are simply wrong here on the conversion capability of Money.  I have
upgraded Money about ten times since Money95 and still have access to my
data from 13 years ago in my current .mny file.  Unless there is something
else going on, when you try to open a *.mny file created in a previous
version, you will get a message that if you click OK, Money will convert
this file to the new version of Money.  That new file cannot be read in the
older version, but should work fine in the current MSMoney.  If it does not
do this, you have some other problem, like the two versions are not from the
same region, the data file is corrupted, or you don't have the proper
permissions (this is particularly an issue with Vista).
--
Peace,
BobJ

"Gil Baron" <w0mn00@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 09:22:49 -0000, "Bob Peel, MVP"
> <bob_peel@kiandra.freeserve.co.uk.INVALID> wrote:
>
>>What they mean by "mainstream support" is that if a major bug is found it
>>won't get fixed. In general MS stop bug fixing support (but not that they
>>do
>>much of that anyway) 18 months after the next version is released.
>>
>>This also applies if in fixing a bug in a later version they "break" an
>>earlier version that is "out of support" then they won't fix it.
>>
>>PS when upgrading to a newer version you don't need to play around with
>>backups. On installing a newer version of Money (provided it is from same
>>region) it will find your old version's .mny file and upgrade it.
> NOT TRUE. It tells you that it cannot read any older version. This is
> a reason simple to abandon money and go back to Quicken or some other
> thing that does not treat users this way.
> Losing old data from a financial program is not nice and I won't EVER
> use it again.
> It did do the update but that did not help, apparently the updat3e
> does not include the ability to read older files.
> Think how many firms would sue them if they tried this with office
> files.
> Gil w0mn00@gmail.com
> Hierro Candente, Batir de repente

Privacy1 (389)

Money 2007 E-Pay
Noticed this morning when I was paying my bills this anomaly. Perhaps I am missing something. Scenario: Paying a credit card bill. In Money 2004 (my previous version of Money) I would use Credit Card as the category and in the subcategory use the particular credit card account I was paying. Worked great. Money 2007, there is a new category named Credit Cards/Transfer. When selecting this there are no payee categories listed. However further down the list is another category named Credit Card. Using Credit Card shows the various payees. Not sure what the difference is between Credit C...

automatically naming files for savingb

Pocket Money for Smartphones
Does anyone know if there are any plans to create a version of pocket money that is compatible with smartphones running Mobile 2003? It's really a pain that mobile Money doesn't work on any smartphones! ...

Reports in Money Small Business 2004
Since "upgrading" from Money SB 2002 to SB 2004, when I run a Sales Analysis Report (ie, "All Projects" or any project for that matter) . . . NONE of the sales/invoices are included (except as $zero) for the dates BEFORE I "upgraded" the software. The paid (or unpaid) invoice (s) for all of the projects are still there, showing the correct amount of money, they are not, however included in ANY type of report I try to run. In other words, I can ONLY get totals within a report SINCE I "upgraded" (since 6/1/04). IF I were to run any sales reports...

Deleted file in Outlook
I accidentaly deleted a folder in Outlook 2003 and am wondering if it possible to retreive it. Thank you, Karl youthminman@yahoo.com <youthminman@yahoo.com> wrote: > I accidentaly deleted a folder in Outlook 2003 and am wondering if it > possible to retreive it. Unless you permanently deleted it (i.e., held down Shift when pressing Delete), it will be in your Deleted items folder, unless you've emptied that folder. If you have emptied it, other suggestions depend on knowing what data store you're using (PST or Exchange mailbox). -- Brian Tillman ...

Do money updates install when you're not admin?
I noticed when I first start using money it told me to log on as administrator so that the updates can take effect. Is this true of all money updates? When I see the message "Money update recieved" does that mean it has also been installed or do I have to log in as admin to complete the process? In microsoft.public.money, Brian H wrote: >I noticed when I first start using money it told me to log on as >administrator so that the updates can take effect. Is this true of all money >updates? When I see the message "Money update recieved" does that mean it >has a...

MS Outllook 2003 with Business Contact Manager Backup/Restores
Need some help with what the procedure is to backup Business Contact Manager data from a single user license system and restore it on another backup system I have. This needs to include the opportunities and other data linkages made on the system being backed up. Tried doing an export / import but based on some info I saw on the MS Office Web site this won't work! Would appreciate any help! There is a backup/restore function for the BCM database on the file menu. -- Guy Lapierre www.forefrontbusinesssolutions.com "WHY" <Hnyda@mindspring.com> wrote in message n...

Return Money 2005 DIRECTLY to MS :)
Just read the conditions of the 30-day Money-Back Guarantee and MS will refund "reasonable" S&H costs up to $7! If you're unhappy w/ Money 2005, I can't think of a better way to get your opinion across than to send it back directly to MS (along with the "explanation for return" that they request) AND stick them with the shipping bill. :) If you return it to the store, the best MS will ever learn is that it was defective. Sending it back to Redmond lets them know they just paid $5 extra for a product they rushed out. Your voice will instantly take on as much...

Money 2006 Small Business Rating
After using Money 2006 Small Business now for many months I will have to say that it is the worst Money I have ever used. It is so slow! It is running on a 3 Gig Pentium IV with 1 Gig RAM. I have been using Money for many years now and am VERY SORRY that I purchased Money 2006. Just my comments. What exactly is slow. Not that I don't believe you, but are the slow parts and different that what some folks have described report on here, for example in the FAQ. For comparison, I don't see any slowness, nor have seen any in the past. I have M04 Small Business, with what I'm sur...

Microsoft Money #5
Just purchased new copy of Microsoft Money as part of Works Suite 2004. When trying to open this product it tries to open the older version, 1999. Then get a error message saying, "Money cannot open this file because it was created by an incompatible version." Any advice on what to do? In microsoft.public.money, Jeannie wrote: >Just purchased new copy of Microsoft Money as part of >Works Suite 2004. When trying to open this product it >tries to open the older version, 1999. Then get a error >message saying, "Money cannot open this file because it >was c...

RTF in SSRS 2005
I have a data set that has a column with RTF data such as: {\rtf1\sste.... Is there a way in SSRS 2005 to output the text of this column in rich text formatting? Thanks. ...

Can't Convert Quicken 2001 Deluxe Data to MS Money 2004
First I tried to convert the Quicken Data using the MS Money 2003 OEM Version that came with the new computer I bought last week. Then I purchased MS Money 2004 Standard Edition and still couldn't convert my Quicken data. On the box, Microsoft says they offer a 30 day money back guarantee with no details about how to get your money back. Does anyone know how I can get my money back? Regards, John E. Golden ...

XML File Converter for MS 2004
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: intel I'm a high school teacher. I write power points on MS 2004 on my Mac and transfer them to my school's PC that has MS 2003. This worked great, with exception of minor formatting changes, until a month ago. Power points that I previously opened on that PC, along with new ones, would not open - this is disasterous for instruction. My tech says 1) the school's PC may have had updates that caused the new problem and 2) that I should install the Open XML File Converter for Mac's MS 2004. I'm concerned tha...

Money 2003 #9
When I try to enter a bond buy 1000 shares at 25.40 a share it puts the answer in at 254.00, if I change it to 25,400. like its suppose to be it puts the difference in as a commission. How do you correct their calculations? ...

microsoft money loosing VAT content in split catogory withdrawl
Hi I have money 2000 and file VAT returns with the information it provides. I just discovered that if I have a split catogory withdrawl the VAT component is blank (greyed out) and is not in report. Can any one help with this problem thanks Gary ...

Money 2006 - Home page - spending tracker
I have a couple categories showing up in the spending tracker area that don't show up in the list when I click the 'Change the spending areas I watch closely' link so I can't turn them off. Why are these showing up? I.E. I want to see Automobile: Gasoline and Automobile: maintenance but I don't need Automobile: [all other] Same thing for utilities - I don't want the [all other] category. I only use the gasoline and maintenace sub categories ...

missing tray icon after Explorer Bar restored
I have an application that has a mainframe that is hidden all the time when the application is running - it hides itself after creating a tray icon. All the user interaction is through the tray icon - a menu from right click or by double clicking. Windows XP ( I believe Win2K as well), end up 'crashing' (I do not know if that is the right term) and recreating the Explorer Task bar. When this happens, my application icon does not always get repainted. I read that I need to respond to a message sent by the Explorer - following that advice I do the following 1. Register a Windows m...

how do I transfer file from Clipboard to an e-mail message
How do I transfer a file from Outlook clipboard or C drive to the body of an e-mail message NOT as an attachment. thanks you would need to open the file and copy the contents. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter: EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOF...

Transferring files to a new computer
Hi - I'm in the process of configuring my new Windows XP with MSFT Small Biz. I was running Windows 98 and using Outlook 2000. Now I want to copy all my old emails, folders, addresses etc. into the new version of Outlook 2003 but I can't seem to find it. It's not recognizing my saved files as .PST files. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks, daviskho "daviskho" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:052801c3dbb0$e46e5970$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Hi - I'm in the process of configuring my new Windows XP > with MSFT Small Biz. ...

Too large to send, yet the file gets saved.
I noticed that a user's mailbox grew from 100KB to 400KB in a few days. This got my attention. I pokjed around and found that he had tried to zip a really big file and send it to his AOL account. (we won't talk about what was in that single file that would not compress al that well :-) ) The file was 161MB (obviously this is larger than global message delivery default) and it was in both his sent items and found in the bounce-back message from the system administrator: This message is larger than the current system limit or the recipient's mailbox is full. Create a shorter messa...