Money 2005 fails to start on Vista

My Money 2005 was working fine on Vista (see history below) but now when the
splash screen comes up it dies with no error message.  I've tried uninstall
and reinstall using the run by Administrator options, done a registry clean
up and still the same thing.  I'm at a loss now as to what to do.

I'd really rather not upgrade to 2007 but if anyone can offer good reasons
why I should it would be appreciated.  I'm really getting frustrated with MS
and their failure to make Vista compatable to even their own programs!  (i.e.
issues with Outlook 2002 not storing a password, Picture IT 2002 not
working......)  I also understand there is no Repair option on Vista so I
could try that to resolve the issue.

History: I did a clean full install of Vista Ultimate on a new HD and went
through a number of problems getting my Money 2005 installed.  I had to go
through the Sample.mny file to get it to update.  I then connected to my old
data and it worked for a few days and did the backup fine when it closed.
Then all of a sudden it would not open.  I did recently install the latest
Microsoft Digital Image software, and Turbo Lister from eBay on the 27th but
Money was working fine after that and my .mny file shows a date of the 29th.
The machine had been shut down and restarted a couple of times in that period
so any change from those installs should have had an effect earlier.

Thanks for any help.
0
brapp (3)
4/3/2007 1:56:01 PM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

In microsoft.public.money, brapp wrote:

>My Money 2005 was working fine on Vista (see history below) but now when the
>splash screen comes up it dies with no error message.  I've tried uninstall
>and reinstall using the run by Administrator options, done a registry clean
>up and still the same thing.  I'm at a loss now as to what to do.

Copy Sample.mny to your Documents folder. Open Money by
double-clicking that file with Windows Explorer. Does Money open?

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
4/3/2007 2:18:23 PM
I've tried dbl clicking that file and get the same results of Money starting
to open then closing.  After my initial installation I launched that file so
I could get Money to do its update, but it won't work now.
I left it in the folder it was in though and did not move it to my Documents
folder.  I'm not at PC now or I would try that.

"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:

> In microsoft.public.money, brapp wrote:
>
> >My Money 2005 was working fine on Vista (see history below) but now when the
> >splash screen comes up it dies with no error message.  I've tried uninstall
> >and reinstall using the run by Administrator options, done a registry clean
> >up and still the same thing.  I'm at a loss now as to what to do.
>
> Copy Sample.mny to your Documents folder. Open Money by
> double-clicking that file with Windows Explorer. Does Money open?

0
brapp (3)
4/3/2007 3:18:02 PM
As a follow up and conclusion I decided my time spent to continue to try and
debug this was worth more than the 19.95 to buy a copy of Money 2007.  I did
a complete uninstall of 2005 and installed 2007.  There was a scary momemt
when it blew away on the first opening but I then opened Money using the new
Sample.mny file, it did its updates, successfully converted my 2005 data
file, and seems happy.

I'm still miffed about Microsoft's lack of regard for people running their
own products and not dealing with Vista compatability issues if you aren't on
the lastest versions.

"brapp" wrote:

> I've tried dbl clicking that file and get the same results of Money starting
> to open then closing.  After my initial installation I launched that file so
> I could get Money to do its update, but it won't work now.
> I left it in the folder it was in though and did not move it to my Documents
> folder.  I'm not at PC now or I would try that.
>

> "Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:
>
> > In microsoft.public.money, brapp wrote:
> >
> > >My Money 2005 was working fine on Vista (see history below) but now when the
> > >splash screen comes up it dies with no error message.  I've tried uninstall
> > >and reinstall using the run by Administrator options, done a registry clean
> > >up and still the same thing.  I'm at a loss now as to what to do.
> >
> > Copy Sample.mny to your Documents folder. Open Money by
> > double-clicking that file with Windows Explorer. Does Money open?

0
brapp (3)

How to Read MS Vista .doc files with Office 2004 Mac
I am getting .doc files from Vista users and this Intel iMac wants to open the some strange PC notepad application. What I have been doing is save the document to the desktop, Get Info then tell change the app to MS Word. It then sort of works but the format is hosed Has Microsoft released a translator for the Mac that will open Vista generated .doc files in Word? arkay I'm guessing the documents were created in Office 2007 and saved in the new ..DOCX format. You can try using the beta converter from Microsoft to open such files in Word 2004: <http://snipurl.com/1qcn4> I&#...

3.0 install failing
OK, I've been trying to upgrade this one CRM system from 1.2 to 3.0, and am having no ends of problems... This last one is really dumb... It is complaining that the METABASE database is not published for merge replication... So? 3.0 CRM doesn't even USE replication! Why in the world would the developers cause the entire installation to fail because of this? It's driving me crazy,... I've tried stopping replication, then tried to re-add it again... I've also tried running the scripts at the end of the white paper that talks about "cleaning up" old replication...

How to share printer connected to Windows 7 pc with a pc using Vista ?
I have upgraded to Windows 7 and now face the problem that no one else but myself can use the printer. Before I had a home network setup and all other pc's connected via wireless network to print. How to I setup just the printer so others can use it ? Jason, Have you enabled printer sharing in Network and Sharing Center? Have you shared your printer already? Carlos "Jason" wrote: > I have upgraded to Windows 7 and now face the problem that no one else but > myself can use the printer. > > Before I had a home network setup and all other pc&...

Windodws Updates fail to install themselves
Dell C521 64 bits, dual processor Media Center Edition Ver 2002 SP3 Windows update downloaded six updates Thursday morning, but only four of them installed. Here are the four that failed: There was the same error code for all four: Error code: 0x800710 da: KB982214, KB981852, KB2183461, KB981997 FWIW, my wife's laptop downloaded and installed eleven (11) updates without incident. It has Home Edition on it. I Googled the error code but I can't make any sense of the two pages that turned up. They have nothing even remotely similar to what I do. Any sugg...

Deleting an information store and starting over.
I inherited a 145GB information store. I set up a new exchange server and moved half the mailboxes off and into several different stores. I do not have enough room to do an offline defrag but want to still shrink the size of the inherited store. I want to move all the user off and into a temporary store, delete the information store and move the users back. Can i just delete the .mdb and .stm files and start the store again to get a clean store. What about the SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR account. I dont want to mess up my exchange env by deleting the wrong stuff. Hi Brillmike, You can follo...

Failed .NET updates
I have two .NET updates which have refused to install since August. They are: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86 and Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP (KB974417) My computer is a 4-year-old dell inspiron 2200 running windows XP. Recently, while working in visual studio with .NET my computer bluescreened saying that driver ialmrnt5 had stopped working. Apparently this is an intel graphics driver. This may ...

Access 97 installation error in Windows Vista
Dear all, On completion of the installation, a message box entitled "Workgroup Administrator" appears with the message: "An error has occurred at changing workgroup database" On clicking the OK button, another message box with the same title appears: "Setup couldn't create a system.mdw file. After setup is complete, reboot your computer then run the workgroup administrator before you run this application (-1011)." Please help. Thx. Chlaris Chlaris wrote: > Dear all, > > On completion of the installation, a message box entitled "Workgroup...

Would would cause a virtual server to not start?
Applied the batch of updates last night to our W2003 server with Exchange 2003 on it. Everything came up but the POP3 virtual server didn't start. The POP3SVC had an error in the event log that it failed, but then less than a second later, another POP3SVC message came up that the service had started successfully. I assumed it tried to start too soon and something else wasn't going yet. That has happened on a reboot before and never been an issue. I had to go into the Exchange SYSTEM MANAGER and start the POP3 virtual service. -- _____________________________________________________...

Money 2005--a BIG disappointment
After struggling for the better part of 2 days with many of the issues I have read about on this board relating to Money 2005, primarily involving MSN Bill Pay, I am "throwing in the towel" and going back to Money 2004. After being bounced around all day from MSN Bill Pay "customer service" to Microsoft Support, back to MSN Bill Pay, over to Check Free, back to Microsoft Support, I have just about had enough. Their "solution" to my issued involved, re-installing Money 2004, ending MSN Bill Pay Service in that application, re-installing 2005, and starting...

The operation failed #4
Sending of mail with attatchments does not work anymore. I try to send new mail, outlook opens word? where I can compose my mail message. It works fine if I do not attatch anything. But when I try to send it after I have added an attatchment an alert pops up. The great message in it is "The operation failed" and on the top left corner it says Word. I think I have not done anything out of the ordinary with neighter of the programs. Also everything else seems to be working. What could be the problem and howto fix it? Office: 2002 (outlook, word and all the rest) OS: W2K sp4...

Money 2005
There's no where to assign an asset category! I have a 403B retirement account and the category for all funds is OTHER. Money won't let me change the assets associated with this account - LARGE-CAP, MID-CAP, etc. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks. "SteveH" <SteveH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9B72D53B-1516-4979-BFCB-6CEF270CDD7D@microsoft.com... > There's no where to assign an asset category! I have a 403B retirement > account and the category for all funds is OTHER. Money won't let me > change > the assets asso...

Installing MSCRM 3.0
We are in the process of setting up a test configuration of CRM 3.0, using a backup of our CRM 1.2 data. We are performing a 'clean installation' of CRM 3 on a new Windows 2003 Server machine, running SQL2005 on a separate Windows 2003 Server machine. Our existing CRM 1.2 configuration has the c360 Activity Summary customization installed. Backups taken from existing CRM 1.2 databases, located on machine name CRM: ART_MSCRM.bak ART_METABASE.bak distribution.bak New databases created on new SQL2005 server, machine name CRM-SQL: ART_MSCRM ART_METABASE distribution SQL2005 datab...

Could not start Outlook
I recently installed Office 2000/Outlook 2000 on my Windows 2000 machine. When I go to start Outlook, I get an error message"unable to open your default e-mail folders. Oud\tlook could not start because a location to send and receive mail could not be found. To add a location such as a personal folder file, double-click the Mail Icon in Windows Control Panel" When I double click on Control Panel, I get an error message "There was an error reading your Internet E-Mail service. Click the Tools Menu, click Services, delete the service and then create a new one."...

MS Money and 2 PC's...
What is the most effective way to keep MS Money synched between a PC and a laptop? Any suggestions? (and yes, of course, only running one at a time) But I keep my records up to date from work (laptop) and then work from my desktop PC when at home. Any suggestions? "Raichean" <Raichean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:16EF1DE6-1D33-40B7-A168-8B740052030A@microsoft.com... > What is the most effective way to keep MS Money synched between a PC and a > laptop? Any suggestions? (and yes, of course, only running one at a > time) > But I keep my ...

"Money Example Information"
How can I delete the "Money" information examples pages or the entire group of examples for this - I accidently hit the download entry for Money Example and all this information on Amy & Charles Anderson w/Woodgrove Bank (all fictitious I'm sure) came up - I really wanted to continue with the information which I had been entering. Somehow this was all deleted. I just want to get out of this screen entirely and start over (a whole new page) with my information instead of the "Anderson's". In microsoft.public.money, Jo wrote: >How can I delete the &...

compare date field in 1 table to start & end date fields in 2nd ta
I have 1 table that lists schools with their holiday dates (among other info) and in a 2nd table I have students with corresponding date ranges in 2 fields - from_date and to_date to indicate their attendance. I need to find any records in the student attendance table where the holiday dates in the 1st table are within the range of the from and to dates. Can anyone help? Try this --- SELECT [1st_Table].School, [2nd_Table].Student, [1st_Table].[holiday dates] FROM 1st_Table, 2nd_Table WHERE ((([1st_Table].[holiday dates]) Between [from_date] And [to_date])); -- KARL DEWEY Build a littl...

Money 2006 Deluxe Downloaded/Installed will not run.
I paid for MS Money 2006 Deluxe. I downloaded the webinst.exe and installed it. When I double click the shortcut to run it, MSMoney remains in the processes but no "Money" screen comes up. I tried uninstalling, removing all registry settings refering to MS Money and deleting the all the money files in Program Files and Application Data. IE 6.0.2800, Windows 98 SE up-to-date Does anyone out there experience this? ...

Message Delay and then Fail
Up until recently my exchange was running fine I was getting a few delay messages but they would eventually get through, now about 30% of all mails get delayed and then fail. I am running 2003 SBS with around 60 mail boxes, I have updated except for exchange sp2 but all other updates have been run. I have even updated the NIC's as suggested by another person but still the problem is getting worse and worse. I have checked ythe reverse DNS and it point to the correct name. I have also Telnet'd to the mail servers and for the most part I get through. Below is the return messag...

Microsoft Money 2002 Not enough memory
Each time I try to open MS Money 2002 on my PC I get an error telling me there's not enough memory and to close other applications. In most cases I don't have any other applications up and running. Additionally I have 512MB of RAM so I think I should be OK. Any suggestions? In microsoft.public.money, <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Each time I try to open MS Money 2002 on my PC I get an >error telling me there's not enough memory and to close >other applications. > >In most cases I don't have any other applications up and >r...

"Unable to expand the folder. the operation failed. an object could not be found
Hi, when adding a mailbox to my outlook, i get the folllowing error when i try to open the mailbox, "Unable to expand the folder. the operation failed. an object could not be found" Any ideas? Regards Damien If you made a recent permission change on the mailbox, it could take up to 120 minutes to take effect, (If using Exchange 5.5) Try to open that users inbox folder: file>open>open other user's folder and see if you can open it. If you can, you'll have to modify the top level permission at that mailbox. Regards Daniel Lozano "Damien Brennan" &...

can't open this item. the operation failed. an object could not be found
Running Office 2003 on XP pro. Once I create a calendar item, and then I try to open the item later to view or edit, I get "can't open this item. the operation failed. an object could not be found" Also, when I try to drag an email into a task, which is useful to me, I get "Cannot create attachments. The operation failed. An object could not be found" OS and Office are all patched with latest stuff. Thank you, Peter My first thought is you need to run scanpst on your PST file. Do a search for scanpst, doubleclick it, and the instructions are pretty easy to...

Money 2006 Small Business and Recording Payables
In MS 2006, receivables are designed so I can record the entire amount, say $100 but when I receive the partial payment lik3 $50, I can record that partial payment ands see money due. How do I do the same with Payables meaning, I want to enter the entire amount billed by my vendor, say $100 but only pay a partial amount like $50. So When I create a the Business Payables report I want to see what I have paid and what I owe that vendor. Am I misunderstanding how to use Vendors? ...

sql server 2005 connection
I've just upsized to using SQL Server with Access as my front end. I'm using SQL authentication and have to re-login nearly every time I run a query or open a form and my queries frequently time out. What have I done wrong? Thanks. Okschlaps, Try... Navigate to the Linked Table Manager Navigate to your data source and this time check the box that says 'Save Password' Refresh all the links and close -- Gina Whipp "I feel I have been denied critical, need to know, information!" - Tremors II "okschlaps" <okschlaps@discussions.microsoft.com> wro...

Manifest, VC 6 vs 2003 vs 2005?
Hi, I've added a manifest file to my app so it compiles with VC6 and still has the XP themes. But now the app doesn't compile with 2005: ------ Build started: Project: XBT Client, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------ Linking... CVTRES : fatal error CVT1100: duplicate resource. type:MANIFEST, name:1, language:0x0409 LINK : fatal error LNK1123: failure during conversion to COFF: file invalid or corrupt XBT Client - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s) ------ Build started: Project: XBT Client, Configuration: Release Win32 ------ Compiling resources... Linking... Embedding manifest... XBT Client -...

Can Money 2003 do this? #2
I download data from my bank at month end. Most all of my bank transactions are by check card. Is it possible to configure each check card payee with its proper category so that the register will autofill the category when the data is downloaded? Till now I always have had to manually enter the payees correct category in the register after I d/l the data at month end. Must be an easier way but I sure missed it. Would very appreciate an reply. D.H.Harris ...