Money 2005 Account number displays as xxxxx

I have just upgraded from Money 2004 STD (Australia). All 
my account numbers in the 'accounts list' dialog box 
display mainly as 'xxxxx. My account numbers are 
alphnumeric. They are correct when I open the individual 
accounts. Does anyone have a work around or know of a fix 
for this bug? Rgds - Pete  
0
anonymous (74722)
10/7/2004 3:16:17 AM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

13 Replies
611 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 22

This is nothing more than stupid knee jerk pseudo-security. R-click and go 
to the account settings and it will look correct.

"Peter" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:1b3e01c4ac1c$02961af0$a601280a@phx.gbl...
>I have just upgraded from Money 2004 STD (Australia). All
> my account numbers in the 'accounts list' dialog box
> display mainly as 'xxxxx. My account numbers are
> alphnumeric. They are correct when I open the individual
> accounts. Does anyone have a work around or know of a fix
> for this bug? Rgds - Pete 


0
10/7/2004 3:28:25 AM
When each plaintiff in the class is only out something like $24, there isn't 
going to be a lot of interest.

It's probably not the programmers who are that stupid. It's the marketeers 
who set the requirements and the people they bring into the usability lab 
and the focus groups and what not that these marketeers have decided to 
pander to and/or try to fool. Some of these folks were probably worried 
about seeing the numbers and Microsoft didn't tell them they were fixing to 
spread them hither and yon across the network in order to �Stop typing!� and 
have �The effortless way� to manage their personal finances.

"StevenFromTexas" <xxx@xxx.net> wrote in message 
news:%23YdjEDCrEHA.3288@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Isn't it wonderful that you use your own password to access your financial
> information, but the Microsoft programmers are intent on protecting 
> yourself
> from seeing your own account numbers?
>
> It is really hard to imagine that these programmers are really that 
> stupid,
> but stupid is really on public display in Microsoft Money 2005.  :(
>
> Would some law firm PLEASE file a class action lawsuit against Microsoft 
> for
> releasing junk products like Microsoft Moeny 2005?
>
> 


0
10/7/2004 3:58:32 AM
Isn't it wonderful that you use your own password to access your financial
information, but the Microsoft programmers are intent on protecting yourself
from seeing your own account numbers?

It is really hard to imagine that these programmers are really that stupid,
but stupid is really on public display in Microsoft Money 2005.  :(

Would some law firm PLEASE file a class action lawsuit against Microsoft for
releasing junk products like Microsoft Moeny 2005?


0
xxx5703 (33)
10/7/2004 4:51:06 AM
Dick Watson wrote in <ee3yjHCrEHA.3760@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>:

>When each plaintiff in the class is only out something like $24, there isn't 
>going to be a lot of interest.
>
>It's probably not the programmers who are that stupid.

Don't be so sure.
0
info7138 (79)
10/7/2004 8:09:41 PM
It's by design in Money 2005.  A number of folks have complained about it.

-- 

-------------------------------------------
Joe Guidera
jguidera@msn.com.remove



"Peter" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:1b3e01c4ac1c$02961af0$a601280a@phx.gbl...
>I have just upgraded from Money 2004 STD (Australia). All
> my account numbers in the 'accounts list' dialog box
> display mainly as 'xxxxx. My account numbers are
> alphnumeric. They are correct when I open the individual
> accounts. Does anyone have a work around or know of a fix
> for this bug? Rgds - Pete 


0
jguidera (124)
10/10/2004 3:44:43 AM
As part of the law passed by congress, credit card receipts and anything 
else printed out with account numbers is required to limit the account 
numbers to no more that the last 6 characters.  It would be nice for 
those of you that wish to have them fully listed that the choice could 
be made in the user options, but I for one am happy that they limit them 
on screens where it does not make any difference.  I can figure out my 
accounts using the names I have assigned and the last 4 characters.



Joe Guidera wrote:

> It's by design in Money 2005.  A number of folks have complained about it.
> 

0
art4580 (318)
10/10/2004 4:08:18 PM
If your statement that 'anything else printed out' is literal, then display 
on a screen does not apply. I think the spirit of the law was related to 
transactions exposed to people who shouldn't see it. Clearly a display of my 
own accounts on my own computer does not fall in that category.

I agree that some people may be more comfortable if that information is 
concealed. It should have been an option.
-- 
Chris Cowles,
Gainesville, FL

"Art McClinton" <art@nova.org> wrote in message 
news:%5dad.21448$UA.4148@lakeread08...
> As part of the law passed by congress, credit card receipts and anything 
> else printed out with account numbers is required to limit the account 
> numbers to no more that the last 6 characters.  It would be nice for those 
> of you that wish to have them fully listed that the choice could be made 
> in the user options, but I for one am happy that they limit them on 
> screens where it does not make any difference.  I can figure out my 
> accounts using the names I have assigned and the last 4 characters. 


0
NoSpam1246 (979)
10/10/2004 4:12:05 PM
Why does Money show the full number on the Account Settings screen?

Do you think Microsoft thought this law honestly applied to Money or do you 
think they did it for show? Do you think hiding this number on this one 
screen actually changes your security posture?

I'm not picking an argument, I'm asking your opinion.

"Art McClinton" <art@nova.org> wrote in message 
news:%5dad.21448$UA.4148@lakeread08...
> As part of the law passed by congress, credit card receipts and anything 
> else printed out with account numbers is required to limit the account 
> numbers to no more that the last 6 characters.  It would be nice for those 
> of you that wish to have them fully listed that the choice could be made 
> in the user options, but I for one am happy that they limit them on 
> screens where it does not make any difference.  I can figure out my 
> accounts using the names I have assigned and the last 4 characters. 


0
10/10/2004 6:35:06 PM
It clearly is opinion only.  I tried to answer a question which asked 
"why would they consider doing what they did"

I have been in the computer field for over 40 years and have found that 
many on the new congressional laws by the time that they make it through 
the marketing departments of companies and the programing managers down 
to the programmers have a tendancy to get implemented crazily.

I personally do not like it when I go to my local filling stations and 
have my full name and credit card number printed on the receipt.  When I 
then look around and find that most people drop these on the ground.

I do not like to see financial account numbers, on any document. It just 
takes me time to shred it.  So I guess I am happy to see that they have 
minimized the number of locations where they list the full account number.

I have no knowledge of why MS Money coded it the way they did.

Art

Dick Watson wrote:
> Why does Money show the full number on the Account Settings screen?
> 
> Do you think Microsoft thought this law honestly applied to Money or do you 
> think they did it for show? Do you think hiding this number on this one 
> screen actually changes your security posture?
> 
> I'm not picking an argument, I'm asking your opinion.
> 
> "Art McClinton" <art@nova.org> wrote in message 
> news:%5dad.21448$UA.4148@lakeread08...
> 
>>As part of the law passed by congress, credit card receipts and anything 
>>else printed out with account numbers is required to limit the account 
>>numbers to no more that the last 6 characters.  It would be nice for those 
>>of you that wish to have them fully listed that the choice could be made 
>>in the user options, but I for one am happy that they limit them on 
>>screens where it does not make any difference.  I can figure out my 
>>accounts using the names I have assigned and the last 4 characters. 
> 
> 
> 

0
art4580 (318)
10/11/2004 12:56:52 AM
I guess I view it as My Information I entered in My Database for My 
Purposes. I see no reason to "hide" (and very ineffectively at that) it from 
me. If I didn't want to see it, I wouldn't have entered it.

"Art McClinton" <art@nova.org> wrote in message 
news:qTkad.22313$UA.16103@lakeread08...
> It clearly is opinion only.  I tried to answer a question which asked "why 
> would they consider doing what they did"
>
> I have been in the computer field for over 40 years and have found that 
> many on the new congressional laws by the time that they make it through 
> the marketing departments of companies and the programing managers down to 
> the programmers have a tendancy to get implemented crazily.
>
> I personally do not like it when I go to my local filling stations and 
> have my full name and credit card number printed on the receipt.  When I 
> then look around and find that most people drop these on the ground.
>
> I do not like to see financial account numbers, on any document. It just 
> takes me time to shred it.  So I guess I am happy to see that they have 
> minimized the number of locations where they list the full account number.
>
> I have no knowledge of why MS Money coded it the way they did. 


0
10/11/2004 5:52:16 PM
In microsoft.public.money, Art McClinton wrote:

>It clearly is opinion only.  I tried to answer a question which asked 
>"why would they consider doing what they did"

Thank you. It was a *very* enlightening theory to me.

I also see my bank's HTTPS website is doing the same thing.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
10/11/2004 6:17:06 PM
And don't take my reply wrong: I, too, shred stuff with account numbers 
printed on them and wonder how many places the stuff I don't get spreads to. 
So, I support the notion that these numbers should only be used on a Need To 
Know basis. My Money Account List is virtually the only place besides all of 
the credit reporting agencies computers and everywhere they spread their 
data to that these numbers are aggregated.

OTOH, I bet I haven't printed the Account List page ever, and there is no 
easy way to do so as it is. If I did print it, I'd guard it and dispose of 
it safely.

If your theory is correct and it may well be, I think Microsoft went 
overboard interpreting the law. Further, I think it's misleading 
pseudo-security aimed to make people think Microsoft cares about this stuff 
when really they are trying to encourage you to release all of this to 
Yodlee and everybody in between, at a minimum.

"Art McClinton" <art@nova.org> wrote in message 
news:qTkad.22313$UA.16103@lakeread08...
> It clearly is opinion only.  I tried to answer a question which asked "why 
> would they consider doing what they did"
>
> I have been in the computer field for over 40 years and have found that 
> many on the new congressional laws by the time that they make it through 
> the marketing departments of companies and the programing managers down to 
> the programmers have a tendancy to get implemented crazily.
>
> I personally do not like it when I go to my local filling stations and 
> have my full name and credit card number printed on the receipt.  When I 
> then look around and find that most people drop these on the ground.
>
> I do not like to see financial account numbers, on any document. It just 
> takes me time to shred it.  So I guess I am happy to see that they have 
> minimized the number of locations where they list the full account number.
>
> I have no knowledge of why MS Money coded it the way they did. 


0
10/11/2004 6:57:47 PM
I actually agree with you

Art

Dick Watson wrote:
> And don't take my reply wrong: I, too, shred stuff with account numbers 
> printed on them and wonder how many places the stuff I don't get spreads to. 
> So, I support the notion that these numbers should only be used on a Need To 
> Know basis. My Money Account List is virtually the only place besides all of 
> the credit reporting agencies computers and everywhere they spread their 
> data to that these numbers are aggregated.
> 
> OTOH, I bet I haven't printed the Account List page ever, and there is no 
> easy way to do so as it is. If I did print it, I'd guard it and dispose of 
> it safely.
> 
> If your theory is correct and it may well be, I think Microsoft went 
> overboard interpreting the law. Further, I think it's misleading 
> pseudo-security aimed to make people think Microsoft cares about this stuff 
> when really they are trying to encourage you to release all of this to 
> Yodlee and everybody in between, at a minimum.

0
art4580 (318)
10/15/2004 12:38:01 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Service admin account
I presently do not have a "service admin account" that is recognized at my organizational level in Exchange 5.5. How do I add a service account admin account? When I try adding with various accounts I get the "you don't have permissions" error. Are you saying that your Exchange server's service account has been deleted/changed, or that you're trying to create another account with the same privileges? B. Clift wrote: > I presently do not have a "service admin account" that is > recognized at my organizational level in Exchange 5.5. > Ho...

Switiching to Money from Quicken
Morning all, I've had it with Quicken (Canada). I've read many posts from this newsgroup and I'm encouraged that there is a cheaper alternative to the $99 upgrade just to download mutual fund quotes for one year. So basically I would like a few questions answered that were not answered on the Money website. 1. Maybe a bit to general, but are these two programs really that different in functioning. It seems that Money took the Quicken framework and built on it. 2. I want to download mutual fund/stock/currency quotes for as long as I run this software (well at least more than...

Money 2002 problems
Last week, I was editing an entry, and the program crashed. Since that time, I can not open the program. I have tried everyway I can think of, but nothing happens. My operating system is Windows 98. I could reload the progam, but if I do, will I lose my current data. If that is the case, I do have a relatively current backup. Thanks for you help. Dennis H What error do you see? Reinstalling shouldn't affect your data, but I would take a backup copy of your MNY file for safety anyway. -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?sci...

MS Money 2006 & IE7 error
Since installing IE7 b1, when I close Money 2006, it closes down but then does the dialog that an error occurred. And no matter if choose to send or not send, it reopens Money again. Luckily if you close from the logon screen, it doesn't do this cycle again. Hopefully the Money team knows about this issue. Known IE7 error. That's why you are beta testing - to find out what applications IE7 scr*ws. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. For wishes or suggestions see http://register.micros...

Can i display an Icon on a toolbar?
Hello, I'm building a toolbar but i do not want to manualy draw the buttons. Instead i want to be able to display prebuilt ICONs there. Can this be done? How do i proceed? Many thanks You should be able to do it by simply adding a CStatic on the toolbar and placing bitmap/icon on it. Following article shows how to add controls to the toolbar: http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/controls/toolbar/placingcontrolsintoolbars/article.php/c2547/ ------------------ Ajay Kalra ajaykalra@yahoo.com "Bredal Jensen" <Bredal.Jensen@mimosa.com> wrote in message news:<eMRs7FziEHA.636@TK...

Money 2002 Died #2
Experiencing the same situation. Please inform us of the situation. Thanks! We have the same problem here. Money won't start up. We reinstalled and it ran initially, but now it has the same problem again. Has anyone contacted Microsoft?! >-----Original Message----- >Experiencing the same situation. Please inform us of the >situation. Thanks! >. > Same thing here. This is scary! >-----Original Message----- >We have the same problem here. Money won't start up. We >reinstalled and it ran initially, but now it has the same >problem again. Has a...

Number format #3
Ah, works perfectly. Thanks -- carg ----------------------------------------------------------------------- carg1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1527 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27578 ...

Lookup a range of numbers
Hi, I have a table as follows: (Speed) (Dist) 64k 128k 256k 5 1000 1200 1500 10 1600 1700 1800 15 2000 2100 2200 I'd like to have a formula whereby if I key in a Distance of 4 and a speed of 256k, the active cell will show "1500". I tried to use sumproduct but seems like sumproduct can only be used if the Dist is exactly "5", "10", etc. The only alternative I can think of is to list out ALL the integers for Distance. But, is there an easier way? ...

Am I able to manage multiple email accounts
I have several email accounts including Gmail, HOtmail and corporate. I can't make Entourage mail (2004) list individual accounts or find how to manage profiles. Apple mail works but doesn't allow me to insert a tiff company logo without making it an attachment. Outlook allows for all of the above.<br> Appreciate help > This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3285235088_9822952 Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit On 2/7/08 1...

Display value of cell
Using Excel 2000 In a cell the formula shows instead of the value/result, how do I correct this? I want to see the formula. Reply to kdfoxca@yahoo.com Thanks. Are all formulas cells show the formulas or just one? Maybe you have a space before the = (Excel think it is text now) Or your cell is format as text -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2) www.rondebruin.nl "Kenya" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:050b01c3942b$e28b7240$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Using Excel 2000 > In a cell the formula shows instead of the value/resul...

MS Money 2002 (UK)
I would like to report on my investment portfolio by sector and geographical asset classes. If I hold investments in a UK smaller companies fund, a Global resource fund and US gilt bonds, I want to report on these assets based on their geographical locus (eg UK vs US vs global) or the sector into which they are invested. Is this possible in MS Money 2002? Asset class seems to be limited to a few pre-selected options and is only available for shares not managed funds and other investment types. The report by investment type is not good enough - needs further analysis for even small...

Combine variable number of columns
I have a single spreadsheet with a list of clients, addresses and their product interests. This table will be used to drive a Mailmerge document. In the document, I want to be able to refer to the products in which they indicated an interest. The problem is that while one client may have identified only one product (one column) others have selected anywhere from two to 170 products - each product is in a separate column. I can join two columns with "&", but when I have an inconsistent number of columns how do I do this efficiently? - I will have to do it for each client, e...

Number to text conversion ......HELP
Dear Friend.. I need help in converting formula calculation ( Number or Currency ) into Text EQ. Result = 2,500.00 converting to .....two thousand five hundred.. Thanks Check http://www.mvps.org/access/modules/mdl0001.htm at "The Access Web" -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "Eko Hery" <eko@megaenterprise.com> wrote in message news:BCD8B0CE.1D8%eko@megaenterprise.com... > Dear Friend.. > I need help in converting formula calculation ( Number or Currency ) into > Text > > EQ. Result = 2,500.00 con...

Maximum number of characters in a cell
Is there a way to format a cell so that it can contain more than 255 characters? Bill Hi Bill, > Is there a way to format a cell so that it can contain more than 255 > characters? A cell can contain about 32000 characters, but Excel will display only about a 1000 of them (depending on font and fontsize). Regards, Jan Karel Pieterse Excel MVP http://www.jkp-ads.com If you would add some forced (manual) line breaks (<Alt> <Enter>) in your text at opportune locations, you will find that you can *display* much more text. -- HTH, RD ----------------------------------...

Unable to update retirement account
Anyone have a solution to this problem? Whenever I try to update my retirement account I received the error message immediately: "this operation cannot be performed" Chris In microsoft.public.money, Chris wrote: >Anyone have a solution to this problem? Whenever I try to update my >retirement account I received the error message immediately: > >"this operation cannot be performed" See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902466/en-us Unfortunately, I've run the File Repair utility numerous times and it comes back clean - so this doesn't fix this er...

Configure single Outlook 2003 Account to try multiple outgoing servers?
Is there a way to configure a single Outlook 2003 account to try different SMTP servers for Outgoing mail? I log in from two different locations, and both are behind firewalls. And from each location I can't get to the other SMTP server to send my mail. To get around this, I've created two Outlook accounts to use. One for each location. But this is not a good solution, because I have to remember to use the correct account, and it's easy to make a mistake. ....When I do, the outgoing mail very quietly sits in my Outbox, and doesn't get sent. People get very upset at me for ...

MS Money 2007 and rental property
I am considering MS Money Home and Business edition to track rental income from a couple of units I own. The problem I'm having is that no where in the literature does it talk about traking rental income and expenses to Schedule E, only Schedule C. Seems like a dumb thing, but will the software allow me to track Schedule E tax items? Obviously Quickbooks and even Quicken do, but I have reasons why I hate Intuit even more than Microsoft. In microsoft.public.money, Randolph wrote: >I am considering MS Money Home and Business edition to track rental income >from a couple of u...

How do I count the number of times a particular charcter ("." say)
How do I count the number of times a particular charcter ("." say) appears in a cell. For example, ABC.1.21.31.2 should retun 4. Is there a formula? =LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,".","")) -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "RH" <RH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:75B61958-5352-436D-94F1-DD3D79AAE485@microsoft.com... > How do I count the number of times a particular charcter ("." say) appears in > a cell. > > For example, ABC.1.21.31.2 should retun 4. > > Is there ...

SQL 2005 Replication
I am looking to setup master to master replicat (bot db's are updating each other live). When creating pk/identity/auto increment column, I choose no to "not for replication". In case replication stops for whatever reason, and then reestablished. Does this mean that there wouldn't be a primary key duplication? Thanks in advance Hi RG, When you set identity property to not for replication. SQL Server ensures the identity column is incremented for only user trasnsaction not for replication transactions. To avoid duplication you have to use range of valu...

Display No. of Rows in Status Bar
Hello: I'm using Excel 2003. Up until recently, whenever I apply an autofilter, my status bar would display the number of rows returned, e.g.: "25 of 100 records found". For some reason it has stopped doing that, and now just says "Filter Mode". I right clicked on the status bar, and chose "Count". It didn't help. Right now I have it on "None", which is what it was on when the row count was displaying before. I don't believe I turned anything off, but I'd sure like to have that feature back. OBTW: I had this problem a mont...

Multiple email accounts #11
I use Outlook 2003 with multiple accounts (4 POP accounts and one Exchange account) and I have the following problems: Most of the time I am not connected to the corporate network, so most of the time I have no connection to the Exchange server. Because of this Outlook shows the dissconected icon on the bottom right status bar. Once Outlook says that it is dissconected from the Exchange server it doesn't do the automatic syncs with the POP accounts through the internet (which is indeed available). Is there a way to make Outlook autosync with the POP accounts if it is not conne...

Can't open Money file directly.
I have Money 2005 I have many accounts at different banks. I can always open Money by using my password. I just added a new account & it tried to hook it up with Net.Passport. Now everytime i try to open my file it wants my Net.Passport. I deleted the new account,but it still opens with Net.Passport. I went into tools & selected to remove my accounts from Passport's server. Still can't open Money file directly. How can i get it back to just open my account from my PC ? In microsoft.public.money, desgnr wrote: >I have Money 2005 >I have many accounts at different bank...

Filter to specify which account is used according to email address?
I use outlook for work and personal email but i use two different accounts to send/recive email. I have run into the problem of sometimes mistakenly using my personal account to send work emails. So my question is: Is it possible to specify that addresses that meet a certain criteria be send using a certain account. Say an email to Bob@amarc.mil will be sent using my gmail account whereas a email to Jane@moog.gov will be sent using a yahoo account? Any help/suggestions would really be appreciated! Cheers -Gaiko And my question is, what version of Outlook are you using? The answer = is t...

PSTL Account Modifier takes 60 hours to combine accounts!
I'm reframing my clients GL Structure with GP PSTL Account Modifier. MBS has informed me that it takes approx 20 seconds to process one line / account. We tested this... I ran 4 accounts to combine into one. It took over a minute. I have 10,000 accounts to be processed... they said to expect 58 hours to execute the change.... Plus, there is no status or progress bar to indicate if the app is working or simply "Hung" SQL Profiler doesn't show any activity either... We think this is because the executible is doing all the work and Account Modifier is not driven by store...

Working with recovered Money files
Does anyone have advice or experience working with Money files recovered through a complete format restore recovery? I have recovered 68 .mny type files from a Harddrive that had a PC restore image overlayed on it. This was MS Money 2007 under Vista Ultimate. The recovered files are semi-genericly labeled with "Recovered_MS-Money_##" they just show today's new save date and range in size from 60KB to 23,300KB. When viewed in Wordpad the largest files have an opening line that says "MSISAM Database" before the gibberish code begins. I tried the Money standard r...