Money 2003 to Money 2004

I had a catastrophic HDD crash the other day, of course my data was backed
up. I have been using the standard version of Money 2003 for a couple years
and like it. My new PC comes with Money 2004 loaded.

Will there be any problem with 2004 reading the 2003 file? Any compelling
reason to upgrade to 2004? Or should I just stick to the familiar 2003?

Thanks for any input!!!


0
rhinnc (42)
12/2/2004 12:07:24 AM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

5 Replies
481 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 43

In microsoft.public.money, RHinNC wrote:

>I had a catastrophic HDD crash the other day, of course my data was backed
>up. I have been using the standard version of Money 2003 for a couple years
>and like it. My new PC comes with Money 2004 loaded.
>
>Will there be any problem with 2004 reading the 2003 file? Any compelling
>reason to upgrade to 2004? Or should I just stick to the familiar 2003?

If you were using Money 2003 Deluxe, you would lose some function
going to Money 2004 Standard. If you were using Money 2003 Standard,
you would be better off to go to the Money 2004 Standard.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
12/2/2004 12:42:25 AM
Assuming that both are for the same localization (i.e., US or UK or
whatever) and the you aren't downgrading editions (Deluxe->Standard), there
will probably be no problem upgrading your data file. M04 is almost a carbon
copy of M03. There weren't many compelling reasons to buy the upgrade.
Likewise, there aren't many compelling reasons not to if the M04 is already
paid for.

"RHinNC" <rhinnc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:eiuisLA2EHA.1076@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> I had a catastrophic HDD crash the other day, of course my data was backed
> up. I have been using the standard version of Money 2003 for a couple
years
> and like it. My new PC comes with Money 2004 loaded.
>
> Will there be any problem with 2004 reading the 2003 file? Any compelling
> reason to upgrade to 2004? Or should I just stick to the familiar 2003?
>
> Thanks for any input!!!
>
>


0
12/2/2004 12:46:27 AM
Thanks for the responses.

My new PC comes with the standard version of 2004 and I have been using the
standard version of 2003.

When you say "upgrading" my data file, would you please explain? Does that
mean I can simply copy my data file to my new PC, start 04 and load the 03
file?

Thanks again.

"Dick Watson" <littlegreengecko@mind-enufalready-spring.com> wrote in
message news:e1cTchA2EHA.3408@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Assuming that both are for the same localization (i.e., US or UK or
> whatever) and the you aren't downgrading editions (Deluxe->Standard),
there
> will probably be no problem upgrading your data file. M04 is almost a
carbon
> copy of M03. There weren't many compelling reasons to buy the upgrade.
> Likewise, there aren't many compelling reasons not to if the M04 is
already
> paid for.
>
> "RHinNC" <rhinnc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:eiuisLA2EHA.1076@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > I had a catastrophic HDD crash the other day, of course my data was
backed
> > up. I have been using the standard version of Money 2003 for a couple
> years
> > and like it. My new PC comes with Money 2004 loaded.
> >
> > Will there be any problem with 2004 reading the 2003 file? Any
compelling
> > reason to upgrade to 2004? Or should I just stick to the familiar 2003?
> >
> > Thanks for any input!!!
> >
> >
>
>


0
rhinnc (42)
12/2/2004 2:12:40 AM
Pretty much. Once you copy the .MNY file from the M03 machine to the new 
machine--put it in My Documents--you can double click on it. M04 will 
recognize the file as an M03 file and walk you through a process where it 
saves a copy, renames, then migrates the data to the M04 data structures. 
There will be a dialog box explaining what it is doing.

For most users this is a pretty painless process that takes only a few 
minutes. Some have worse experiences--these typically seem to involve files 
that already have some form of "corruption"--but this is a rare experience.

Always keep backups of your backups.

"RHinNC" <rhinnc@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
news:eRY1rRB2EHA.2624@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Thanks for the responses.
>
> My new PC comes with the standard version of 2004 and I have been using 
> the
> standard version of 2003.
>
> When you say "upgrading" my data file, would you please explain? Does that
> mean I can simply copy my data file to my new PC, start 04 and load the 03
> file? 


0
12/2/2004 2:46:27 AM
Thanks Dick,

I have learned years ago! I have been backing up my money file daily on a
different Zip disk for several years. And once a week I back up to floppies.
Learned the hard way....


"Dick Watson" <littlegreengecko@mind-enufalready-spring.com> wrote in
message news:eUOGilB2EHA.1452@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Pretty much. Once you copy the .MNY file from the M03 machine to the new
> machine--put it in My Documents--you can double click on it. M04 will
> recognize the file as an M03 file and walk you through a process where it
> saves a copy, renames, then migrates the data to the M04 data structures.
> There will be a dialog box explaining what it is doing.
>
> For most users this is a pretty painless process that takes only a few
> minutes. Some have worse experiences--these typically seem to involve
files
> that already have some form of "corruption"--but this is a rare
experience.
>
> Always keep backups of your backups.
>
> "RHinNC" <rhinnc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:eRY1rRB2EHA.2624@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > Thanks for the responses.
> >
> > My new PC comes with the standard version of 2004 and I have been using
> > the
> > standard version of 2003.
> >
> > When you say "upgrading" my data file, would you please explain? Does
that
> > mean I can simply copy my data file to my new PC, start 04 and load the
03
> > file?
>
>


0
rhinnc (42)
12/2/2004 3:21:50 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Outlook 2003 News
I am trying to setup the news reader in Outlook 2003. I follow the directions but it won't stick when I drag news to go menu. Any ideas? To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel | Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express. If OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next time you launch it, clear the "Always perform this check..." box and then click the No button. You may need to reset the Menu Bar and/or restart Outlook and/or reboot your machine in order to complete the process. Not everyone is repor...

Money Plus not Updating Quotes
For the past couple of days Money Plus has not been automatically updating stock quotes and manual quotes does not work either. I should add that this problem has been intermittent for the past couple of days. Any suggestions? In microsoft.public.money, D.Duck wrote: >For the past couple of days Money Plus has not been automatically updating >stock quotes and manual quotes does not work either. > >I should add that this problem has been intermittent for the past couple of >days. > >Any suggestions? > High server loading. Try again later. In microsoft.publi...

Can't open 2005 data file after reinstalling Money 2005
I am experiencing a recurring problem. I have had to reinstall Windows XP and MS Money 2005. I am now unable to open my previously converted 2005 file or restore any backup version. I consistently get the following error message: "Money cannot locate filename or cannot open it, possibly because it is a read-only file, you do not have permission to change it, or your disk drive is write- protected. If you have chosen the correct file and it cannot be accessed, you will need to click OK and then Restore your most recent backup file." Any help or thoughts would be greatly ap...

Outlook 2003 #79
I nhave recently purchased Office Professional 2003. When using Outlook the send / receive function sometimes does not work and I need to log off the computer and log back on. All configurations are standard and the email servers have been verified by the ISP. Does anyone else have problems with the stability of Outlook 2003? ...

Help Required
Hi, Whenever I open Outlook 2003, I am getting a dialog box which displays the following message: Microsoft Office Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience When I click Debug it displays a message box with the following error message "The instruction at "0x3007e993" referenced memory at "0x0000000:. The memory could not be read" When I click No it Visual Studio JIT debugger pops up. I uninstalled and installed several times but still the problem persists. Is there any regsitry entry that I've to modify/delete? ...

Canadian Mergers 2003
I have Money 2003 which will not allow me to preform a stock merger in the Canadian format. Will upgrading to 2006 allow me to do this? In microsoft.public.money, giff42 wrote: >I have Money 2003 which will not allow me to preform a stock merger in the >Canadian format. Will upgrading to 2006 allow me to do this? Yes, with Deluxe there is a built-in function and above. It should be able to convert your Money 2003 file automatically. While there is not the built-in feature, here is how you could do it in Money 2003 Standard, do it if you did not hold both stocks involved in the merg...

Outlook 2003 with XP SP2
Hey guys, IS there an issue with outlook 2003 running on a XP machine with SP2. I am having connectivity problems. When I shut off the windows firewall, the outlook client connects. some help please. thanks, st I suggest that you add outlook2003 to the Windows Firewall exception list. Regards, -jack "stonefly" <shitij_T@hotmail.com> д����Ϣ����:OAoct1k5EHA.4028@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Hey guys, > IS there an issue with outlook 2003 running on a XP machine with SP2. I > am having connectivity problems. When I shut off the windows firewall, the > outlo...

Filters in Excel 2003
I am using Filters in Excel 2003. Every cell in sheet B is linked to every cell in sheet A. That way I can alter data in B without corrupting the original data in A. I then highlight the cells in B that I want to assign a filter to and select Advanced Filter. I have no criteria so I do not set that. I click OK. I then select Filter again and this time select Auto Filter. Drop down arrows appear at the top of my columns. Great, no problems so far, I then select from the drop down list the criteria that I want to filter. Again no problems, my list filters correctly. But once I have do...

Office 2003 Service Pack 3--subsequent problems opening Publisher
I run Publisher 2003 on Windows XP. On June 13, I updated my system with Office 2003 Service Pack 3 so that I could open Word documents with the file ext docx. Subsequent to the Service Pack 3 installation, whenever I open a Publisher file (which I created), I get the following message: "Publisher has detected a problem in the file you are trying to open. If you are certain that this file came from a trusted source and does not contain harmful information, click OK." What is causing this and is there a way to stop this pop-up message? All publications? Error message when you...

HELP Recovering addresses and email from Outlook 2003
I had some serious driver issues that required re-installing XP from disc. I did use the backup option and have a backup of all the old data. And of course had to reinstall Office 2003. Will third party software restore my old email and addresses or am I out of luck?? Thanks for the help texraid wrote: > I had some serious driver issues that required re-installing XP from > disc. I did use the backup option and have a backup of all the old > data. And of course had to reinstall Office 2003. > > Will third party software restore my old email and addresses or am I > out of lu...

Need Help with Deleting Empty Paragraphs in Word 2003
I have written the code below to delete all empty paragraphs at the end of a document and then place the cursor at the end of the last paragraph. It works fine as a stand alone sub in a new doc, but fails inside the real document that contains other code that manipulates several documents. The failure is that it will delete the last empty para, but then gets stuck looping inside the While...Wend because subsequent .Delete are not happening. So, the question is why would this work in one document, but then fail in another? n = 0 ...

Using Access 2003 on client to see Sharepoint 2007
Testing a Sharepoint environment and I can easily manipulate and run the database from Access 2007, but when I try to use Access 2003 it wants me to save the database to a location. The Access 2003 has the compatiblity pack, but it seems to not work when I download it. So the question is using Sharepoint 2007 and posting the Access 2007 format to it, can a user go to the sharepoint site and use a 2003 Access database that has the compatibility pack and open without having to download it? -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com Send check for $500.00 to: David A Jenn...

Outlook 2003 Out of Office Reminder RPC over HTTP
I have some remote office users that have Outlook 2003 configured using RPC over HTTP. They do not get the notice that pops up reminding them that their Out of Office is on when they open Outlook. Is there a way to get this to work? Thanks! Jeff ...

Changing font in Money 2004 register?
Is there any way to change the font(s) used in MS Money 2004's registers? The default font is too small and difficult for me to read. Also, is there any way to change the color scheme to something more pleasing to my eye (like you can do in Quicken...) Thanks. Nope and Nope. See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=136. "Debbie R." <debbimsr@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:f5ff01c43e15$e2ae3700$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Is there any way to change the font(s) used in MS Money > 2004's registers? The default font is too small and > difficult for me to read....

Word 2004 overriding global prefs
Okay.. PMG5 running 10.4.6. I have a problem with the default page setup settings in two limited user accounts (my own, admin account, is fine). As I am in the UK, the global default paper size is set to A4. All applications respect this - bar Word. Every time it's fired up, and a new document selected, the paper size is always US Letter. This does NOT affect any other Office application. I have tried trashing prefs - I've even removed (using the supplied removal tool) and reinstalled Office. My mother uses Word extensively as she works at home a good deal. She wouldn't ...

opening a .docx with word 2004
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) How can I open a .docx attachment that has been sent to me with word 2004?? Can I convert it somehow at my end or does it have to be converted from the sender end? Thanks for any help... <cscs@sympatico.ca> wrote: > How can I open a .docx attachment that has been sent to me with word > 2004?? Can I convert it somehow at my end or does it have to be > converted from the sender end? Make sure that Office is up to date (or at least in version 11.5.0 - the altest version being 11.5.1) and install the XML convertrs you'...

Outlook 2007 Calendar -> Outlook 2003
In the past I could forward appointments and birthdays from one PC to another, if both PC's had Office 2003. I just tried forwarding a birthday from Outlook 2007 to Outlook 2003 and it doesn't work. I get the email in 2003. Open it, open the calendar item, then click on Save & Close. No error message. But it's not there. Neither in the current month or for next year. I forwarded it as a reoccurring item, that's the only way it will let you do that. Has anyone else been able to do this? Or, is this a backward compatibility issue? It's odd.... this works fine for...

PDA-Outlook 2003
I have a Jornada 540 and I try to sync to outlook 2003 using Activesync 3.7. I get the message Outlook is no longer installed. Reinstall MS Outlook. This happens on both Exchange and Outlook 2003 environment. Appreciate your help ...

Money 2000 Account Balance Changed Inexplicably
Opening Money 2000, which I've used without problem since late 1999, I noticed that my checking account balance was overstated by almost $2000! I went to the register to see if there was a false transaction entered and it appears that this balance change goes back years with no obvious single entry being the culprit. When I run the "balance this account" function, it shows that the closing balance from my last statement, which was correct and rectified, is now also wrong and reflects the higher balance. What do I do now? The only thing that I can think of is to restore...

Merge code issues with Publisher 2003
It seems whenever the data source is altered, the merge code fields have to be reinserted in the Publisher document. Is this normal? The data source starts in Excel and is then saved as a .txt file to retain number formatting on final merge. ...

Money 2004 Debt Planner #2
When trying to add a loan to the debt planner, Money keeps telling me that I am 6 months past due on this particular loan. In reality, I have made consistent entries for each month's payment. This is making it really difficult to use the debt planner! What do I need to do? ...

how to install Microsoft Mail to Outlook 2003
pls help I found 'this' (http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/msmail.htm) on www.outlook-tips.net I don't know if it works... ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ It does. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Search for answers: http://groups.google.com Most recent posts to the Outlook newsgroups: ...

Changing a profile on Microsoft Outlook 2003
I set up two profiles through the control panel and directed Outlook to prompt me for which profile to use each time it was opened. But now it skips the prompt and goes straight to one of the profiles. I need to restore that prompt, but it won't respond to the instructions in the control panel Mail dialogue box Hi Chris, did you get the same behavior after a restart of the computer? You could try "Sart/run/fixmapi.exe" (you don�t get any confirmation message) and restart the computer again. If this wouldn�t wotk, I would create a 3rd (test) profile. Maybe Outlook don�t ...

Word 2003: Will it work on Windows 7 Pro
The ads say there is virtual XP on Windows 7 that can run programs like Word 2003. In your experience is this true? On any Windows 7 machine? Does 64 versus 32 bit processor matter for either Word/Office 2003 or Office 2007? thanks. You don't need Virtual XP to run Office 2003 on Windows 7. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "removing all headers and footers" <removingallheadersandfooters@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:95298031-44F6-4E74-A608-C76987DFAB46@microsoft....

Excel 2003
Sometimes when I receive excel attachments in my email (outlook 2003) they have a row height of 409.5 when I open them. I have to highlight the whole sheet and change the row height before I am able to view the data. This does not happen all the time and not from any particular person. I can forward the email to another machine with excel 2003 and they open it with no problem. I have downloaded all the patches and updates that I can find and still no help. This is just an annoying quirk that is driving me nuts. Does anyone have any ideas? TIA How about a couple of silly guesses that might t...