Money 2003 running slowly (Windows 98)

I archived and I've deleted my old investment quotes. I've
even added more RAM, but Money 2003 gets slower and
slower. It's especially slow after opening when I try to
add the first transaction to any account. Anything I can
do to speed things up?
0
anonymous (74722)
5/22/2004 1:14:36 PM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

Copy and rename sample.mny to something like test.mny  (you can use a
different directory) and then double click on the test.mny file.
Experiement with this test.mny file.  It is about a 4meg. file.  My
largest mny file is 6meg and it runs fine with 256k and an 850mhz AMD
Duran CPU and a Western Digital 7k rpm hdd running Win98SE

Don't worry about the techie stuff I added.  Tell us how the test.mny
file runs and the size of your slow running mny file.

arthur
--
On Sat, 22 May 2004 06:14:36 -0700, "Dave"  wrote:
>I archived and I've deleted my old investment quotes. I've
>even added more RAM, but Money 2003 gets slower and
>slower. It's especially slow after opening when I try to
>add the first transaction to any account. Anything I can
>do to speed things up?
You don't mention you processor.   MS says minimum for Money 2003 is a
Pentium 166 (recommend PII 300).  I would suspect at least a 750 MHz
processor is really required. (remember MS said Win95 would run on a 386 w/
8MB or RAM).

My money file is over 20 MB and I have no problems with an AMD 1 GHz system.
I do have a PII 400 with Win98/SE  that I use as a backup and Money is
painfully slow with the same data file.

"Dave" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I archived and I've deleted my old investment quotes. I've
> even added more RAM, but Money 2003 gets slower and
> slower. It's especially slow after opening when I try to
> add the first transaction to any account. Anything I can
> do to speed things up?

0
LJ
5/23/2004 12:53:46 PM
CPU speed is less important with large files than memory size.  The
reason is that the hdd is much slower than any CPU so if the
application causes lots of paging / swapping then the application will
run very slowly.  Put as much memory as possible (supported by the
system board / motherboard) on that older machine.  Run the System
Monitor and watch the paging rate to determine if the machine needs
more memory.

arthur
--

My processor is AMD-K6-2 @ 533 MHz. Thanks for the help.

0
anonymous (74722)
5/23/2004 7:50:19 PM
I built an Epox K6 system >4 years ago.

 What I would do is make a new working .mny file using copy and rename
so that I have all my old data that I want to save as reference and
also have a working file that I can trim down with archive or other
means.  This is the cheapest solution I can come up with.

I since replaced that old system with a cheap Amptron 850mhz AMD Duron
board for $100 complete, including memory.  It's our 2nd system
networked with another machine.  The old Epox started having processor
errors but before it failed completely it had intermittent Eudora
(email) crashes.  I backup my data directory with a duplicate in a
subdirectory that I refresh weekly.

You're welcome.  My payback time.
arthur
--
On Sun, 23 May 2004 12:50:19 -0700, "Dave"  wrote:
>My processor is AMD-K6-2 @ 533 MHz. Thanks for the help.
In addition to what is referenced here and in the following replies
concerning the amount of memory and cpu needed by Money, remember that
what else you are running can and will implact how Money or any other
program runs. Screen savers, especially Webshots seem to eat up memory.
Likewise anything else in your system tray will use memory.

LJ wrote:
> You don't mention you processor.   MS says minimum for Money 2003 is a
> Pentium 166 (recommend PII 300).  I would suspect at least a 750 MHz
> processor is really required. (remember MS said Win95 would run on a 386 w/
> 8MB or RAM).
>
> My money file is over 20 MB and I have no problems with an AMD 1 GHz system.
> I do have a PII 400 with Win98/SE  that I use as a backup and Money is
> painfully slow with the same data file.
>

> "Dave" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>I archived and I've deleted my old investment quotes. I've
>>even added more RAM, but Money 2003 gets slower and
>>slower. It's especially slow after opening when I try to
>>add the first transaction to any account. Anything I can
>>do to speed things up?

0
art4580 (318)

Outlook 2003 sends my gmail through 2 steps, why??
I am using Outlook 2003 to send my gmail account through smtp.gmail.com. When I send mail in Outlook, it goes into the Outbox rather than get sent right away. Then from my outbox, I can send the email. This seems like a redundancy in efforts, how can I get Outlook to send it straight away? Look at the Tools Menu, then Options, then Mail Setup Tab. Check off the box "Send immediately when connected". -- Lenny V "Uncle Scotty" wrote: > I am using Outlook 2003 to send my gmail account through > smtp.gmail.com. When I send mail in Outlook, it goes into the Outbox...

Winfax 10 causes an error on Exit of Outlook 2003!!
Hi all Just installed Winfax 10 and since doing so, everytime I exit Outlook 2003 I get an error "Microsoft Office Outllok has encountered a problem and needs to close, We are sorry for this inconvenience." I did view the report prepared for sending to MS and there was mention of the Winfax plugin causing the problem. Anyone know of a workaround or perhaps I need to dump Winfax! Regards John Have you checked with Symantec yet to see if they have managed to get WinFax 10 to work with Outlook 2003? It usually takes them several months to bring WinFax up to speed, if they ever ...

VC .net 2003 IDE subfolder question
I've been using VC6 for a long time, but finally switched to VC .NET 2003 ... in VC6 I was able to put subfolders within a project. But now I can only place subfolders within a SOLUTION (i.e. subfolders are "outside" of the projects). Is there some way to add a folder within the project? When I say "subfolder" I don't mean Windows directories, I mean just in the classview to visually categorize my classes within a project. My projects are pretty large and I just don't want to have to browse the huge list of classes in class view if I'm only working on a spe...

EXCEL 2003
hi Im performing Logical boolean operations using MS Excel. The only problem is that its displaying result set as "TRUE/FALSE" and I want to have the result in binary. Is there a way to convert that text "TRUE" into digit "1"? please tell me ASAP. thank "imfaizzi" <imfaizzi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is there a way to convert that text "TRUE" into digit "1"? =--(A1>A2) returns 1 for TRUE and 0 for FALSE. Similarly for =1*(A1>A2) "imfaizzi" <imfaizzi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...

money 2006 freezes when starting up and checking for software upda
I had a problem before in which i was getting an error message every time i tried ti start msmoney 2006 and it would shut itself down. Now, after reinstalling SP2, every time i try to open msmoney is freezes with the windows where is says: "Please wait while Microsoft Money 2006 check for software updates. This might take several minutes." I left it sitting there for a couple hours and nothing happens. I can't even restart the computer, since after a while it freezes the whole thing. Thanks in advance, Juan ...

Developing for Money
Hi, is it possible to develope add ins or third party tools for ms money users. I'm an expert .net developer and i'd really like to develop and market my own unique tools for users of ms money i.e different ways of viewing data that may only be of interest to certain people and not included in the software. Is there an SDK or an online resource on this subject? Ben Sautner admin@mantisware.net www.mantisware.net Nope. MS have carefully kept all this information very close to their chest! -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.m...

Forward in outlook 2002 / 2003
Hello, I have an e-mail which contains a form. This e-mail must be forwarded to a lot of recipients. I've tested some mail readers, without any problem. But, in MS Outlook 2002 / 2003, when I try to forward the message, the html code changes, converting my <form action='http://xxx' name='f'> into <form>. What I mean is that I lose the essential parameters to send the form. Of course, when I recieve the e-mail forwarded by outlook 2002/2003, and I try to submit the form, it can't be able to send the data, because it have no information about where and how ha...

Money in Italian
Hi all, i'm using the trial of money 2004. I like this program but i'm asking if exists an italian version cause in the english aren't listed italian banks. Thanks to all I don't believe one exists any longer...it looks like the last Italian version was 2000. http://www.microsoft.com/italy/money/ -Gary "Spaten" <spaten@albaclick.com> wrote in message news:57uHc.42759$GQ3.1132596@twister2.libero.it... Hi all, i'm using the trial of money 2004. I like this program but i'm asking if exists an italian version cause in the english aren't listed ital...

Install of Money Pocket PC 2004
I have installed Money Pocket PC 2004 with my pocket pc running Windows Mobile 2003 software. It tells me that I don't have Money installed on my desktop, but I do. I am running Money 2003 on my desktop. Until my recent upgrade on to MObile 2003, I was using Money on my Pocket PC just fine. Now, I can't get it to work. Any ideas here? Instructions said that you have to use Money 2004 on Mobile 2003, go figure. I'm getting frustrated here. I NEED my money back on the pocket pc. Look at http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=ed6046dd25f94e3691a9c2be46 88583c&a...

Ability to merge windows into tabs and move a tab into a new windo
I often find myself wishing that I could do two things with IE: 1) Take two IE windows, each with one or more tabs, and merge them together into a single window with the tabs from both. This would help reduce clutter in my taskbar. 2) Take a tab and convert it into an IE window of its own as often times I want to be able to see two web sites at the same time (side by side), which I can't seem to do if they are tabs in the same window. Either that or some sort of 2 page view where you can see two tabs side by side and can navigate each separately. Would like to se...

Money 2004 freezes while loading up...
Not sure if anyone faced this problem. Started about a week ago... perhaps when I installed some Windows XP and IE 6 critical updates... not sure. The problem is pretty simple. When I launch Money 2004, it just freezes up halfway through the loading process. The login screen is loaded a little bit (the title bar etc.) Nothing more. The only time it works is if the first application I launch after I reboot is Money. If I surf the web before I launcn Money, it does not work. Makes me wonder if IE6 is somehow causing the problem. I use MSN Premium on a P4 running on XP Home Edition. I d...

Managing Popup Reminder Windows in OL2000
Hello everybody. I get a lot of popup reminder windows because I set a lot of follow-up flags on my email messages. Sometimes I have a whole stack of them cascaded on my screen. If I don't want to deal with them right away I minimize them. My question is: Is there any way (option, rule, VBA, whatever) to have these reminder windows appear automatically minimized? Thanks in advance for any help. DDM ...

Word as Editor in OL 2003
I'm trying to use Word as my html editor in OL 2003. I must have changed a setting and now the text I see is about 18 pt. Arial instead of the 10 pt. Arial I see if I use plain text. Is there a setting I can change? Thanks. Never mind. "hank" <not@home.com> wrote in message news:OlbM9zNvDHA.2072@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > I'm trying to use Word as my html editor in OL 2003. I must have changed a > setting and now the text I see is about 18 pt. Arial instead of the 10 pt. > Arial I see if I use plain text. Is there a setting I can change? Thanks. > > ...

previewing windows files in Outlook
Is there a way to preview or auto preview Windows documents using Outlook? I have placed shortcuts to various windows folders on my Outlook bar. When I open the folders in Outlook, there is no AutoPreview or preview pane feature. I would like to view these files in Outlook without having to open each file. I use Outlook 2000. Peter Henderson <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is there a way to preview or auto preview Windows > documents using Outlook? I have placed shortcuts to > various windows folders on my Outlook bar. When I open > the folders in...

Does Pocket Excel run VBAs?
I have desktop spreadsheets with VBAs - would they work in a Pocket PC/Pocket Excel environment? Hi F Chuck! Sorry but Pocket Excel does not support VBA. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available free to good homes. "F Chuck" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:076601c3c44f$78706c40$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I have desktop spreadsheets with VBAs - would they work > in a Pocket PC/Pocket Excel environment? ...

Can't enter activation key for Money Plus Deluxe
My activation key for Money Plus Deluxe is composed of one group of two letters and then five groups of five letter/number combinations. I can only enter four letter/number combinations in the activation boxes. When I try to enter the fifth letter/number, I get a "ping" and it won't enter. Therefore, I can't activate my program. Any ideas?? Thanks! Chuck, check out http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941425/en-us question 15 might resolve your problem. Hope this helps. -Kevin "Chuck" <chleven@msn.com> wrote in message news:ux$j%23HO9IHA.4608@TK2MSF...

Exchange 2003 All Address Lists
In Exchange 2003, under System Manager | Recipients | All Address Lists, I do not want users in Outlook to able to see the default address lists: All Contacts, All Groups, All Users, Public Folders. I would rather create my own Address Lists which contain specific grouping of users. What is the best way to go about this? For example, should I delete the default address lists, and create my own? Yes you can do that. When you say "Groups", let's clarify something. You cannot filter them based on AD domain group membership. You must use an LDAP filter to identify groups...

2003 Ntbackup and Exchange 5.5
Possible? Anyone doing this? Any issues? Thanks in advance. You need to install the Exchange 5.5 admin program on the Win2003 box. This wouldn't be a supported config E55/Win2K3. "Nate" <nnord@maxitd.com> wrote in message news:1148396571.906986.74070@j73g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Possible? Anyone doing this? Any issues? > > Thanks in advance. > On 23 May 2006 08:02:52 -0700, "Nate" <nnord@maxitd.com> wrote: >Possible? Anyone doing this? Any issues? > >Thanks in advance. Possibly not supported. The 5.5 admin is not...

Administrating an Upgraded Exchange 2003 Server..
This is really a preliminary enquiry... I have to perform an "in-place upgrade" of an existing Exchange 2000 Standard server, this is to take advantage of the max 75GB database size limit offered by Exchange 2003 Server SP2. I have performed a lab upgrade of a test 2000 Exchange Server and it worked perfectly, very straightforward it was too! My problem is that a Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES) communicates with the existing Exchange 2000 box and the BES box has Exchange 2000 Server Manager installed and working on it. The Blackberry people have posed the question ...

WordArt from Publisher 2000 file ti Publisher 2003
I have two files created in Publisher 2000 - when opened in Publisher 2003 the size of the WordArt is totall skewed - most much larger than in the original document. This is the second document this has happened on - is there something I'm missing? I thought I could go from 2000 to 2003, just not the other way around? The WordArt in 2003 and 2000 are very different. You can download the old WordArt utility and use it with 2003. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?productID=&freetext=wordart&DisplayLang=en -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://...

Office 2003
I just installed Office 2003 and I am unable to view my received email messages in the Reading Pane; there is nothing in the pane but “from, to, and the subject”. The reader is blank where the message should be. I know that there is a button somewhere that I need to push. Can someone help me? ...

OE to Outlook 2003
Hi everyone! I don't need newsgroups anymore...so....I am changing from using OE to Outlook. After importing all of my personal folders, etc. from OE I want to get rid of OE Identities that are taking up over 5GB of space on my drive. How do I do this? Can I just delete them or is there a process that I need to follow so I don't destroy XP or other apps? -- drumfreak One you've got everything in Outlook that you wanted, then you can remove your account configuration from OE via Tools-> Accounts... Any remaining data files from OE (like dbx-files) can then be dele...

Money 2005 error message
I use Money 2005 and recently when I click on "Connect to Bank" and the updating process starts, I receive the following message - "You cannot perform this operation right now. There is an online operation in progress - try again later." I can then click on "OK" at the bottom of this message and the updating will continue and doesn't appear to be affected by this action. I do not have anything else going on - I have even closed Windows Messager and that makes no difference. I would like to stop this from happening - any suggestions will be apprecia...

Problem with CSocket.Create() on windows 2003
Hii i'm creating a CSocket object and calling its Create Method in a DLL and call this dll from an asp page..but i get an exception on Create(). This only happens with Windows 2003. the code is working fine with windows 2000 server. Also when i created a simple MFC dialog based application (exe) and called .Create() for it there..it worked fine even on 2003. Can someone please tell me if there is any issue with the CSockets in windows 2003 calling in a dll and how can it be resolved. I've also tried using CAsyncSocket but the problem persists. Any help is appreciable. Thanx and regard...

Exchange 2003 SP2 Install Problem
Hi, I've experienced this problem with three different SBS 2003 servers. When I install Exchange 2003 SP2 it fails to stop the EXIFS service and this causes the installation to fail. I did think it could be related to GFI Mail Essentials or Security but I've uninstalled both and it still fails. Any ideas? Thanks, Joe On Fri, 5 May 2006 14:25:29 +0100, "Spenceley" <joe@response-it.co.uk> wrote: >Hi, > >I've experienced this problem with three different SBS 2003 servers. > >When I install Exchange 2003 SP2 it fails to stop the EXIFS service...