Money 2002 question

    I'm trying to restore my files in Money 2002,however
the program asks for a password for this to happen.
Anyone know how I can get my files back up and running or
get past the password window?  As far as I know, I never
did use a password to backup but, now it is asking??  Any
help would be greatly appreciated!
0
alius20 (1)
7/29/2003 2:15:00 AM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

Did you ever open these files in M03 or M04? If so, these FAQs apply:
---
Q): I tried the (M03) trial version and didn't like it. Now (M2K) wants a
password to open my file. What gives?

A): Didn't you read the screens that popped up when it upgraded your file to
M03 telling you that you could not reopen an upgraded file back in your
original version? That's what they put them there for, it turns out. The
password message you are getting from M2K when trying to open your M03 data
file really has nothing to do with you setting a password on it--it's just a
lousy message meaning Money data files are not backward compatible.

You will need to go find your old file that the upgrade procedure left
behind. The screens told you all about this, too.

It'll be in the same directory as your [whatever].MNY file--which you can
rename [whatever].M11 or just delete--and will be named [whatever].MN8 (if I
remember my version numbers correctly). Rename it to [whatever].MNY and
double-click on it (assuming you've uninstalled M03 and reinstalled M2K) and
you should be right back where you were before you started messing with M03.

See also the answer to the question "How do I convert my data back to a
previous version of Money? I upgraded and now I wish I hadn't."

Q): How do I convert my data back to a previous version of Money? I upgraded
and now I wish I hadn't.

A): In general, you don't. For this reason, any Money version upgrade should
be done with this in mind. If you are reading the newsgroup in a panic
because you just now realized that you made a mistake deciding to upgrade
months ago you will be disappointed. You may want to consider maintaining
your data in both your current and new version simultaneously for some
period before committing to the new version. All of these issues are
explained in excruciating detail in the screens that led you through this
process.

When you first open your data file with a newer version of Money, it saved a
copy of your old file--with a renamed file extension of the form .mnx, where
x is the version number of Money that the file came from up until Money2003,
or, for a Money 2002 file save by Money 2003, .M10. You can go back to this
file--with the old version of the application--and enter transactions that
have occurred since you converted. You can do this by manual means (print a
report and re-key the stuff in) or by exporting the accounts via QIF before
uninstalling the never version. Once exported, you can edit them in Notepad
or similar to remove the transactions that were in the original file before
importing the files into the old file.

For more information, see the MSKB article on reverting a data file to a
previous version.