Money 2002 lost during upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate

I jumped through all the hoops to get from Win XP to Win 7 Ultimate,
including installing Win VISTA Untimate first, getting all the updates for
VISTA, then installing Win 7 -- some 7 hours.

If I want to keep using Money 2002, can I uninstall Money 2002, then
reinstall it using the CD Rom disk. Once I do that, how can I use my last
backup on a floppy disk, with an external floppy drive, to continue keeping
track of my banking from the date of my last backup onward?  I never used
online banking with Money 2002, but merely kept track of all my banking and
money stuff.

Thanks for any help you can send my way.

Thomboy
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

I did not lose my money 2002 files as I thought, but transactions won't enter
properly.  Please see message below:

--------------------------------

An error message is shown below for a deposit I tried to make to my money
file.  I am using Money 2002, and Windows 7 Ultimate.

"Money could not write to your Money file.  The operation cannot be
performed or another application finished this task before you.  Please try
again."

Process used to get the error message:
I tried to deposit $50.00 to one of the accounts I use for My Money File -
Microsoft Money, which is part of Money 2002.

The deposit shows today's date correctly, and the amount shows $50, but when
I hit enter, I get the above message.

-----------------------------

In microsoft.public.money, Thomboy wrote:

>I did not lose my money 2002 files as I thought, but transactions won't enter
>properly.  Please see message below:
>
>--------------------------------
>
>An error message is shown below for a deposit I tried to make to my money
>file.  I am using Money 2002, and Windows 7 Ultimate.
>
>"Money could not write to your Money file.  The operation cannot be
>performed or another application finished this task before you.  Please try
>again."
>
>Process used to get the error message:
>I tried to deposit $50.00 to one of the accounts I use for My Money File -
>Microsoft Money, which is part of Money 2002.
>
>The deposit shows today's date correctly, and the amount shows $50, but when
>I hit enter, I get the above message.

Make sure your *.mny file is not Read-only in the properties.

Is the problem on exit? Maybe the backup file location needs to be
changed to a location that exists on the new computer.
0
Cal
11/12/2009 1:54:03 AM
Cal, I looked at all the tabs in the uppermost location - File, Edit, Tools,
etc., but I cannot find a "properties" tab in any of the options to determine
if it is a read only file.

The problem occurs after the money file "Wendy's Money File," is open and
she clicks on one of the accounts in the account list, and then tries to make
a deposit.

My wife continues to use a floppy disk for all her backups, and I cannot
find the location of Money Backups on her laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate.

The problem began long before the new operating system, Win 7 Ultimate was
installed, but I didn't have the time to help her correct the problem.  I am
guess it may be a simple fix, but don's use Money enough to be of any real
help to her.

One last question in light of the fact that so many of the Money programs
are no longer supported; even Money Plus if not already purchased cannot
receive support after Jan 1, 20??

Should I help her move to another program like Quicken, so she can continue
to keep track of all her banking, without using paper and pencil?

She only uses the Money 2002 software to keep track of all her account bank
accounts, CDs, and balances, showing when deposits and withdrawals were made,
and the like.  She never did "online banking" from her Money 2002 program, so
that is probably why she never wanted to upgrade to a newer version of Money.

Thanks for the help Cal,

Thomboy

"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:

> In microsoft.public.money, Thomboy wrote:
>
> >I did not lose my money 2002 files as I thought, but transactions won't enter
> >properly.  Please see message below:
> >
> >--------------------------------
> >
> >An error message is shown below for a deposit I tried to make to my money
> >file.  I am using Money 2002, and Windows 7 Ultimate.
> >
> >"Money could not write to your Money file.  The operation cannot be
> >performed or another application finished this task before you.  Please try
> >again."
> >
> >Process used to get the error message:
> >I tried to deposit $50.00 to one of the accounts I use for My Money File -
> >Microsoft Money, which is part of Money 2002.
> >
> >The deposit shows today's date correctly, and the amount shows $50, but when
> >I hit enter, I get the above message.
>
> Make sure your *.mny file is not Read-only in the properties.
>
> Is the problem on exit? Maybe the backup file location needs to be
> changed to a location that exists on the new computer.
> .

Re Properties....

Search computer for .mny files.

Right click searched Wendy's money file, then choose properties.

Also assure Wendy's money file is located in My Documents.

Ken

"Thomboy" <Thomboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
money
| > >file.  I am using Money 2002, and Windows 7 Ultimate.
| > >
| > >"Money could not write to your Money file.  The operation cannot be
| > >performed or another application finished this task before you.  Please
try
| > >again."
| > >
| > >Process used to get the error message:
| > >I tried to deposit $50.00 to one of the accounts I use for My Money
File -
| > >Microsoft Money, which is part of Money 2002.
| > >
| > >The deposit shows today's date correctly, and the amount shows $50, but
when
| > >I hit enter, I get the above message.
| >
| > Make sure your *.mny file is not Read-only in the properties.
| >
| > Is the problem on exit? Maybe the backup file location needs to be
| > changed to a location that exists on the new computer.

0
Ken
11/13/2009 7:11:27 PM
In microsoft.public.money, Thomboy wrote:

>Cal, I looked at all the tabs in the uppermost location - File, Edit, Tools,
>etc., but I cannot find a "properties" tab in any of the options to determine
>if it is a read only file.

The properties I am referring to is the file properties. File
Manager would be the main tool for that. Right-click the file, and
choose Properties.

>The problem occurs after the money file "Wendy's Money File," is open and
>she clicks on one of the accounts in the account list, and then tries to make
>a deposit.
>
>My wife continues to use a floppy disk for all her backups, and I cannot
>find the location of Money Backups on her laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate.

I suggest you stop using floppies. They are unreliable, and don't
hold much. Use USB flash drives.

>The problem began long before the new operating system, Win 7 Ultimate was
>installed, but I didn't have the time to help her correct the problem.  I am
>guess it may be a simple fix, but don's use Money enough to be of any real
>help to her.
>
>One last question in light of the fact that so many of the Money programs
>are no longer supported; even Money Plus if not already purchased cannot
>receive support after Jan 1, 20??

Jan 30, 2011. http://www.microsoft.com/money/faq.mspx

One thing to do is to review her backup situation. She should have
more than one vintage of backup file, and she should have some
backups on different media, such as USB flash drives.

>Should I help her move to another program like Quicken, so she can continue
>to keep track of all her banking, without using paper and pencil?

Maybe. That may not be too easy. You would have to go thru an
intermediate of Money 2004 or 2005 as well as the Money Plus trials.

>She only uses the Money 2002 software to keep track of all her account bank
>accounts, CDs, and balances, showing when deposits and withdrawals were made,
>and the like.  She never did "online banking" from her Money 2002 program, so
>that is probably why she never wanted to upgrade to a newer version of Money.

See more comments onto your next post.
0
Cal

Where is Microsoft Publisher 2002?
Microsoft Publisher 2000 was included in Microsoft Office 2000 Professional. I installed Microsoft Office XP Professional, but I can't find Microsoft Publisher 2002(XP). Did Microsoft Publisher 2002(XP) have to be purchased separately? If it is part of the Office XP bundle how do I load it. Not all versions of Office are the same as other versions - just like the different editions vary. You need to read the box to make sure you are getting what you need - or to see what program are included. Pub 2002 had to be purchased separately because it wasn't included with any retail s...

Install FrontPage 2003 on Windows 7
i tried several times to install, the program told me it has been installed, but it is not. What can I do. On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 10:48:01 -0700, monising <monising@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >i tried several times to install, the program told me it has been installed, >but it is not. What can I do. Please be more explicit about what you're doing, what you're seeing, and what error messages - if any - you are getting. I have FrontPage 2003 installed on Windows 7 Ultimate x64, and it's working fine. Also, are you installing from original media? A...

Money 2007 E-Pay
Noticed this morning when I was paying my bills this anomaly. Perhaps I am missing something. Scenario: Paying a credit card bill. In Money 2004 (my previous version of Money) I would use Credit Card as the category and in the subcategory use the particular credit card account I was paying. Worked great. Money 2007, there is a new category named Credit Cards/Transfer. When selecting this there are no payee categories listed. However further down the list is another category named Credit Card. Using Credit Card shows the various payees. Not sure what the difference is between Credit C...

Windows Live crap
About 4 days ago I noticed a site called Windows Live ID. It suggested to set up a profile and promised that with a single username and password you could log on to all Windows Live applications such as Hotmail, Windows Live Messenger, Windows Live Mail etc. etc. I thought what a good idea, not having to have 10 different usernames and passwords, so I used my old hotmail adress and username to set up a profile. But the ID said I coildn't use my hotmail for some reason, can't remember what. A few hours later I logged on to Windows Live Messenger as I have done for years, w...

windows update 04-15-10
I am running windows vista on a MAC computer with VMWare Fusion. I cannot get the service pack 1 or internet explorer 8 update to run. i get error code 490 and 800704090 Too late now! Support for Vista Gold (no Service Packs) ended on Tuesday, 13 April 2010! Computers running Vista Gold "will no longer receive software updates from Windows Update" until SP1 has been manually installed (which will require several Prerequisite Updates to be installed first). See http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2010/04/13/end-of-support-for-windows-vista-with-no...

Timestamp value of GINA window presentation
I am currently troubleshooting slow logon times for a client with computer infrastructure spread across the globe. Before I start invesagating I want to create a baseline for logon times. I have modified the clients logon script to record when it starts and when it ends. I am using the computers tick count to record how long the computer has been on, but realize that there is a space of time between the user authenicating to the computer (control-alt-delete) and when the logon script starts, if the customer turns his computer on and then leave for an extended period of time I ...

Junk button in windows live accidently pressed
Whenever I open up WLM i press sync automatically as a bad habbit. Because of the loading time, the junk button usually gets inserted before the sync button, pushing it out to the right after its loaded. I therefore accidently press the junk button by accident sometimes. This is a classic Microsoft HCI problem. Surely the button should be there but greyed out when you cant click it. Having buttons moving around in menus is bad in the same way popups are bad. So break your bad habit WLM will sync automatically when 1st opened peter -- If you find a posting or message...

Pocket Money for Smartphones
Does anyone know if there are any plans to create a version of pocket money that is compatible with smartphones running Mobile 2003? It's really a pain that mobile Money doesn't work on any smartphones! ...

Outlook 2002 SP3- Runtime Error when opening Outlook
I'm getting a runtime error- Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library / Program C:/Program Files/ microsoftoffice/ office10 /outlook.exe. This App has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusal way. This only happen the first time I open Outlook for the day. It shuts down, then I can reopen it and all is fine. I have try to debug it and the detect & repair option in the help tab. Any help is Appreciated! ...

Issue installing FRx 6.7 on Windows 2003
I am encountering an unhandled exception error when attempting the installation. The installation prompts for the language, I select English, then Next. The progress bar makes it all the way to the right of the next screen, then I get the above error. This is a brand new quad CPU Dell OS is base WIndows Server 2003 Enterprise, not SP1 Only installed software is: IIS 6.0 (FTP, WWW, MSMQ) CA ArcServe (backup software) SQL 2000 Enterprise, Analysis Services, both at SP3a WinZip Acrobat 6.0 Reader Hello, Can you give us the exact error message you're receiving (all words and numbers fro...

host unreachable after recent Windows Update
Exchange 5.5 on Windows 2000 Server, fully patched and running real swell until Wednesday morning. (Tuesday evening: applied the GDI+ patch: MS04-028.) Didn't find out until later today: internal e-mail is fine, inbound Internet e-mail is fine, but nothing goes out over the IMC. Each outbound e-mail generates Event ID 3010 warning message in the App log: host unreachable. But NSLOOKUP on that very server successfully resolve those same domain names, and ping gets replies. The only other software on this server: GroupShield 5.0 all up-to-date, and VirusScan 8.0.0 patch 1 push...

Reports in Money Small Business 2004
Since "upgrading" from Money SB 2002 to SB 2004, when I run a Sales Analysis Report (ie, "All Projects" or any project for that matter) . . . NONE of the sales/invoices are included (except as $zero) for the dates BEFORE I "upgraded" the software. The paid (or unpaid) invoice (s) for all of the projects are still there, showing the correct amount of money, they are not, however included in ANY type of report I try to run. In other words, I can ONLY get totals within a report SINCE I "upgraded" (since 6/1/04). IF I were to run any sales reports...

error message in Outlook after running windows and office updates
Hello, I am hoping someone can help me with this. When ever a few staff tries to send a new e-mail, a message "Do you want to save changes" come up and on the back of this message I see the spell checker box come up. The problem is that if you click on "no" on the error message, it comes up with another message something like "running out of memory". I just ran all the windows and office updates on all the machines in the company and so far two employees are having this problem. Is this something to do with the updates? Any suggestions? did you try ...

Bizarre background window behavior in Word
I am running MS Office for Mac 2008 (12.2.4) on a 2008 Intel iMac with the most recent version of Leopard OS. Since installing a recent upgrade to Mac Office 2008, I have been having a frustrating problem when I keep multiple documents open in Word. The active document will randomly be moved to the background, while one of the inactive open documents will randomly move to the foreground. Curiously, the inactive window now in the foreground actually remains inactive, and if I continue typing, the text is placed in the active window that is now hidden in the background. The only way to b...

Do money updates install when you're not admin?
I noticed when I first start using money it told me to log on as administrator so that the updates can take effect. Is this true of all money updates? When I see the message "Money update recieved" does that mean it has also been installed or do I have to log in as admin to complete the process? In microsoft.public.money, Brian H wrote: >I noticed when I first start using money it told me to log on as >administrator so that the updates can take effect. Is this true of all money >updates? When I see the message "Money update recieved" does that mean it >has a...

Upgrade GP10 Advanced -SP4
After upgrading to SP4, we get the error MEM_BAD_POINTER. When printing for example a Financial Trial Balance I can see that the GL-account is not fully and correct displayed on the report. After this above mentioned error the application closed. Any idea hoe to solve it?? -- Toni Toni, We have seen a similar error recently with one of our clients. I found this link to another forum posting and think it might help get you pointed in the right direction: http://www.keyongtech.com/1146749-mem_lock_error-in-cash-receipts-apply We have not yet had time to complete the s...

Return Money 2005 DIRECTLY to MS :)
Just read the conditions of the 30-day Money-Back Guarantee and MS will refund "reasonable" S&H costs up to $7! If you're unhappy w/ Money 2005, I can't think of a better way to get your opinion across than to send it back directly to MS (along with the "explanation for return" that they request) AND stick them with the shipping bill. :) If you return it to the store, the best MS will ever learn is that it was defective. Sending it back to Redmond lets them know they just paid $5 extra for a product they rushed out. Your voice will instantly take on as much...

Outlook 2002 #134
Outlook 2002 worked well on my XP pro machine - then MS sent us the new software pack and I installed Outlook 2003 - I can't remember why, but I couldn't make any sense of 2003, uninstalled it, re-installed 2002 and since then I can't do a 'send and recieve all' - I am reduced to doing a send and recieve on each account individually and have been for a few months. This also means i can't do an automatic send and recieve. When i do 'send and recieve all' i get the error message "operation failed". HELP! ...

Microsoft Money #5
Just purchased new copy of Microsoft Money as part of Works Suite 2004. When trying to open this product it tries to open the older version, 1999. Then get a error message saying, "Money cannot open this file because it was created by an incompatible version." Any advice on what to do? In microsoft.public.money, Jeannie wrote: >Just purchased new copy of Microsoft Money as part of >Works Suite 2004. When trying to open this product it >tries to open the older version, 1999. Then get a error >message saying, "Money cannot open this file because it >was c...

Money 2006 Small Business Rating
After using Money 2006 Small Business now for many months I will have to say that it is the worst Money I have ever used. It is so slow! It is running on a 3 Gig Pentium IV with 1 Gig RAM. I have been using Money for many years now and am VERY SORRY that I purchased Money 2006. Just my comments. What exactly is slow. Not that I don't believe you, but are the slow parts and different that what some folks have described report on here, for example in the FAQ. For comparison, I don't see any slowness, nor have seen any in the past. I have M04 Small Business, with what I'm sur...

Upgrade from eEnt 5.5
I am trying to upgrade from eEnt 5.5 on SQL 6.5/Win NT4 to eEnt 7.5. On a test server I managed to upgrade to SQL 7.0, but when I run Dynamics Utilities after installing eEnt 7.5 I get an "Unable to convert registration master table. Not Privileged to open this form" error. If I continue on anyway, and enter my registration codes, there are no companies to convert. How do I get past this? Hi Since you have upgraded SQL, the Compatibility Level may be incorrect for each of the upgraded databases. Can you run the following commands Run sp_dbcmptlevel DYNAMICS and for the...

Can't Convert Quicken 2001 Deluxe Data to MS Money 2004
First I tried to convert the Quicken Data using the MS Money 2003 OEM Version that came with the new computer I bought last week. Then I purchased MS Money 2004 Standard Edition and still couldn't convert my Quicken data. On the box, Microsoft says they offer a 30 day money back guarantee with no details about how to get your money back. Does anyone know how I can get my money back? Regards, John E. Golden ...

Forecaster 6.7 SE SP2
When I am installing Service Pack 2 for Forecaster 6.7 SE I am getting the following warning message. I have a single tier installation. FYI, I have already tried KB ID # 861990 and deleting the 'InstallShield' folder (C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield) without any success. Can anyone advise me on this? FRx Forecaster - InstallShield Wizard The database file was not found in the location specified. Please re-enter the database name and/or location that contains the FRx Forecaster database you would like to upgrade. ...