Money 2000 Data File Won't Open - Says Password Protected

I have been using MS Money 2000 for a number of years
now.  It is the ONLY version of Money I've run on my
current system.

I recently was forced to reformat and reload my entire OS,
Windows 2000 SP4, applications and data.  After doing this
and trying to open my MS Money files, one personal and one
business, they both have asked for passwords.  Since I
have a secure environment I have never password protected
these files...

What I've tried since faced with this problem is:

1) Restore backups that had been on a remote zip drive.
They too asked for a password...

2) Read a number of posts to this and other newsgroups...
Most promising was a difference in backup file
extensions.  Mine are *.mbf and I have MS Money 2000.  A
post I saw state they should be *.MN8.  However, I've
never had another version of MS Money on this system, nor
were my files used else where!  So this doesn't seem a
logical answer.

3) Perform an Internet Update.  Which I did, and the
results are still the same... Both my Money files want a
password to open them.

I would welcome any and all suggestions as I NEED to get
into these files to conduct business!  I'm close to the
point where I select a new software vendor... and it won't
be Money 200x, so please don't even suggest it!
0
street401 (3)
9/30/2003 3:18:28 AM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

Well, either you have somehow regressed the version of Money to a version
prior to your files (say your files were really M01 and you reinstalled M2K
from CD), or you need to go to Quicken. If the former is absolutely
impossible--and that's one surefire way to get this password protected
message, see http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/#Q105 --it sounds like you're
pretty psyched up for the latter. Given this, I won't suggest you consider
seeing if the time limited trial version of M04 can cope with your files nor
tell you where you can find this version on the web, nor provide any advice
on going that route.

Here's a link you'll find handy:
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=20355557&loc=105&sp=1

If you had a system backup (not Money backup files) you should use the .MNY
files. If you are using Money backup files, they will be .MBF. The .MNn or
..Mnn (where n is numeric) files are **only** created as fallback copies on a
version upgrade. If you have some .MN8 files lying around, I'd consider the
possibility that your files really are not M2K files as there is only one
way to create a .MN8 file (besides rename)--and that's to upgrade the file
using M01-M04.

"Dennis Strieter" <street401@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have been using MS Money 2000 for a number of years
> now.  It is the ONLY version of Money I've run on my
> current system.
>
> I recently was forced to reformat and reload my entire OS,
> Windows 2000 SP4, applications and data.  After doing this
> and trying to open my MS Money files, one personal and one
> business, they both have asked for passwords.  Since I
> have a secure environment I have never password protected
> these files...
>
> What I've tried since faced with this problem is:
>
> 1) Restore backups that had been on a remote zip drive.
> They too asked for a password...
>
> 2) Read a number of posts to this and other newsgroups...
> Most promising was a difference in backup file
> extensions.  Mine are *.mbf and I have MS Money 2000.  A
> post I saw state they should be *.MN8.  However, I've
> never had another version of MS Money on this system, nor
> were my files used else where!  So this doesn't seem a
> logical answer.
>
> 3) Perform an Internet Update.  Which I did, and the
> results are still the same... Both my Money files want a
> password to open them.
>
> I would welcome any and all suggestions as I NEED to get
> into these files to conduct business!  I'm close to the
> point where I select a new software vendor... and it won't
> be Money 200x, so please don't even suggest it!

I sent in an answer from my other machine several hours ago--but the MS news
servers seem really problematic lately. If it doesn't show I'll try to
repost once I get back to that other machine.

"Dennis Strieter" <street401@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have been using MS Money 2000 for a number of years
> now.  It is the ONLY version of Money I've run on my
> current system.
>
> I recently was forced to reformat and reload my entire OS,
> Windows 2000 SP4, applications and data.  After doing this
> and trying to open my MS Money files, one personal and one
> business, they both have asked for passwords.  Since I
> have a secure environment I have never password protected
> these files...
>
> What I've tried since faced with this problem is:
>
> 1) Restore backups that had been on a remote zip drive.
> They too asked for a password...
>
> 2) Read a number of posts to this and other newsgroups...
> Most promising was a difference in backup file
> extensions.  Mine are *.mbf and I have MS Money 2000.  A
> post I saw state they should be *.MN8.  However, I've
> never had another version of MS Money on this system, nor
> were my files used else where!  So this doesn't seem a
> logical answer.
>
> 3) Perform an Internet Update.  Which I did, and the
> results are still the same... Both my Money files want a
> password to open them.
>
> I would welcome any and all suggestions as I NEED to get
> into these files to conduct business!  I'm close to the
> point where I select a new software vendor... and it won't
> be Money 200x, so please don't even suggest it!

Let us know what happens when you a) Install M2K as an administrator, b)
open the sample file and run Internet Updates, and c) run it under the same
account to access your restored .MNY file or to restore your .MBF file.

> Dick,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I was under a false assumption that the *.mnn files were
> backups that I would save on exit each time I had been
> able to use my data in the past.
>
> The files that I did copy back to my reformatted system
> were *.mny and *.mbf.  I'm now wondering, after reading
> more posts, if my issue could be do to having a new
> Windows 2000 account setup after reformatting and
> reloading the OS???
>
> I'm 110% certain that no other version of MS Money has
> touched my computer hard drive, or cd player for that
> fact.  I have only one MS Money CD, and its 2000 Deluxe.
>
> Sorry for the strong words on not upgrading.  However,
> I've been down the MS road more then 1x too often and I've
> vowed not to be directed that way any longer.  Perhaps its
> a new form of lactose intolerance called software vendor
> intolerance...  But really, for a person to perform all
> the due diligence necessary to recover from computer
> catastrophe and then find themselves still thwarted!! pffff
>
> Plus, while the program is adequate for my personal
> finances, its been a margin fit for my business.
>
> Sorry to rant again, frustration is just building.  I
> don't suppose anyone from MS tracks these groups????

I had already done a), b), and c).  The only difference
between my current system and my original is that I have a
different logon for administrator rights.  And the results
have been as orginally posted.

0
street401 (3)
10/1/2003 12:10:37 AM
It is *possible* that you are having an issue with Win2K SIDs since a new
user with the exact same name created after a re-load is, technically, a
different user. Windows does all kinds of things to try to keep this from
being a problem. Check the ownership--and maybe take ownership--of your
restored .MNY files.

I'm assuming you can open the sample file and/or create your own new file.

Beyond that, I'm tapped out as to ideas. When .MNY files have caused this
message in the past, it has tended to mean exactly one thing. You've ruled
out that possibility. You might want to open a support case directly with
Microsoft.

> I had already done a), b), and c).  The only difference
> between my current system and my original is that I have a
> different logon for administrator rights.  And the results
> have been as orginally posted.

Dick,

Thanks for the continued advice.  I checked the ownership,
which I'm not that familiar with in Win 2000, by going
through the file properties and checking out the settings
on the security tab.  My current Adminstrator account has
full access.  I also added an Everyone account with full
access.  This didn't have any effect on the issue.

I may have stated my reload experience incorrectly... I
did provide a new system name and the exact same user name
for my reformated system.  I didn't take exact note of
that information before reformatting.  That's why I was
thinking it may be at the heart of this problem.

From contacting MS Support by phone I was told they no
longer are supporting MS Money 2000 issues, which is why I
hit the newsgroup.  Is there another form of contact
available?

Thanks again

0
street401 (3)
10/1/2003 4:14:56 AM
Ownership in Win2k is accessed by the Advanced button, Owner tab, on the
file Properties, Security tab.

The exact same user name on a reloaded system will still generate a new SID.
Even deleting a user then re-creating a user with the same name generates a
new SID.

If MS has dropped support for this version by phone, they've probably done
the same for every other channel as well.

As noted previously, there's only ever been one set of circumstances that
has repeatably created the case where "password protected" is the response
to a good .MNY file, assuming Money has full access to the file. Can Money
create a new file in the same folder where your restored .MNY file is
located?

In microsoft.public.money, Dennis Strieter wrote:

>Yes, I can create new files in the same folder and open
>the sample.mny file as well...

I wonder if you are now open to ideas you previously rejected.

Download Money 2004 trial and install into a different folder than
Money 2000. Convert a copy of your main file. Confirm your theory
that your file is indeed a Money 2000 file by checking that Money
created an mn8 backup and not mn9, m10, or m11.

Research the limitations and method of QIF export/import and follow
the method with this exception: precede the QIF file name for any
investment accounts with underscore so they will come alphabetically
before the associated cash accounts.

Close Money 2004 trial. You may at this point want to reinstall
Money 2000 (maybe needed, maybe not). Both installations will work
one at a time. Open Money 2000 to the new file. Do the  "import all
at once" part. Make the adjustments. If you need other data, close
Money 2000 and open Money 2004. Print the data you want (to a file
if you can). Close and go back to Money 2000. Repeat as required.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
10/1/2003 5:12:08 PM
Access permissions (or rights) and Ownership are different though related
concepts and are on different tabs. The way I read it, you only mentioned
checking access rights. I'd verify Ownership as well.

> Well it sounds like I had looked in the proper area for
> file ownership rights.
>
> Yes, I can create new files in the same folder and open
> the sample.mny file as well...

find action on log file

Publisher file to PDF, image problems.
when I print a Publisher file to PDF, my logo comes out fuzzy. Michelle1031 <Michelle1031@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > when I print a Publisher file to PDF, my logo comes out fuzzy. If you zoom in on your document in Publisher, is your logo fuzzy? What PDF quality settings are you using? -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher Michelle, I have tried that b4 and had no success. I even had a DTP specialist try it, it still does not work. The only thing I can suggest is to insert the photo from ur computer into the document after you conve...

File size #11

circular files; iterating to a "correct" solution
I am working with a circular file. I have been making changes to the file, and I have noticed at times when i manually calculate that the file iterates to an obviously "incorrect" solution. No amount of changing the max no of iterations or the max change seems to fix the problem. It iterates to the same "incorrect" solution every time. It is like it is stuck in a rut and can't get out. I have also noticed that, if I manually calculate each worksheet separately (that is, hit shift - f9 simulaneously on each worksheet individually, from left to right) all the ...

owa cant open ppt attachments

Maximum file sizes

Using Relative path for XML data file?

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

How to repair a .dll file in IE8

Linking files 2 ways

cannot open hyper links in outlook

data sort

password protection paramenters
Hello, I want to be able to unprotect my sheet, add a wordart graphi and reprotect my sheet. The problem I am having is when I do this wit code the file is protected with the default parameters selected. I wan to be able to enable wordart so I can insert a wordart object and the protect the sheet again. I want to get around the user being able to just delect the added wor art. When protected I would like the following parameters to be set: Allow users to select locked cells select Unlocked cells format cells format rows Its the "edit objects" parameter that needs to be enabled fo...

How to suppress repeating password prompts and scope pre-emption?
Outlook (2003,2007, perhaps other versions also) has an absolutely enraging feature seemingly devised to intentionallly cause major distress and anguish on the parts of its users, to wit: Whenever an email account provider computer decides the account has been open too long and requests a new logon, (ATT/Yahoo) or an account was never able to log on in the first place (bad password) a window periodically pops up and the keyboard entry goes directly into the password field with no warning. I am often typing an email etc. and find that the previous paragraph of text, some of i...

Pulling data from separate tabs

CSV Files and VLOOKUP error