Money '07: Partial database reset?

I'm using Money '07 Deluxe.

Due to my own damn fault, my Money database is a mess: my checking,
savings, credit card and money-market accounts have not been properly
kept up in years, nor reconciled.  So now they don't match reality.  I
want to fix this before I get into financial trouble (again).

I can retrieve from my bank's online service OFX statements going back
to Jan 1, 2007 but no earlier.  So what I'd like to do is basically
"zero out" those accounts' balances and transactions, and use that data
as my new starting point while keeping the accounts' configurations
intact.  So obviously, I'd rather not delete them and re-add them if I
can avoid that.

Also, and this may become irrelevant with the above, I downloaded and
imported OFX based e-statements from the bank, and on two of the four
accounts I'm told by Money that I have statements to read, but when I
go to them I see from the notes at the to of the left-side margin that
there is a number of items to review, but they are not visible in the
account register despite setting it to show all transactions.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan                                         www.gordol.org
The from userid is killfiled             Send personal mail to gordol

"You are a creature, who's received pain and given pain and taken too
much pleasure in it's application."  (Amb. Delenn, B5 "Comes The
Inquisitor")
0
nomail8657 (65)
2/23/2008 8:26:22 PM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

In microsoft.public.money, Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:

>I'm using Money '07 Deluxe.
>
>Due to my own damn fault, my Money database is a mess: my checking,
>savings, credit card and money-market accounts have not been properly
>kept up in years, nor reconciled.  So now they don't match reality.  I
>want to fix this before I get into financial trouble (again).
>
>I can retrieve from my bank's online service OFX statements going back
>to Jan 1, 2007 but no earlier.  So what I'd like to do is basically
>"zero out" those accounts' balances and transactions, and use that data
>as my new starting point while keeping the accounts' configurations
>intact.  So obviously, I'd rather not delete them and re-add them if I
>can avoid that.

You may be that person that will find that Archive does what he
wants. Archive will keep a copy of the existing file as the archive.
The continuing file will delete the non-investment transactions that
precede the archive date, and it will adjust the balances.

Now you will probably need to re-adjust the starting balances to
reality.

Alternatively, delete the accounts that you will re-download. Set up
new ones and download. Adjust the starting balances for the
accounts. Transfers to non-deleted accounts will be something you
will have to attend to.

Copying and pasting the bank statement into Excel may let you make a
running balance. Oddly, when I paste an statement from a web page
statement I am looking at, I need to paste it "special" as text.

>Also, and this may become irrelevant with the above, I downloaded and
>imported OFX based e-statements from the bank, and on two of the four
>accounts I'm told by Money that I have statements to read, but when I
>go to them I see from the notes at the to of the left-side margin that
>there is a number of items to review, but they are not visible in the
>account register despite setting it to show all transactions.

In Internet Explorer delete your browser temporary files with
Tools->InternetOptions->DeleteFiles or
Tools->InternetOptions->Delete->DeleteFiles.

Then in Money do File->RepairMoneyFile->QuickFileRepair again.

Then go to Tools->Settings->OnlineServiceSetting and
select ShowStandardizedPayeeNamesForWhichANameIsNotFound.  This
is a global (inter-file) setting.

Download again.
0
via_newsgroup (13114)
2/23/2008 9:00:11 PM
Previously on microsoft.public.money, Cal Learner-- MVP said:

> You may be that person that will find that Archive does what he
> wants. Archive will keep a copy of the existing file as the archive.
> The continuing file will delete the non-investment transactions that
> precede the archive date, and it will adjust the balances.
>
> Now you will probably need to re-adjust the starting balances to
> reality.

I started up Money to start following your suggestions, and Money
indicated that it was updating my accounts.  Apparently, it never
finished the first time and now was.  The balances still don't match,
but at least now they're in the same neighborhood.  One's off by about
two grand, but that's a vast improvement from earlier in the day when I
started trying to fix this.

And, of course, something like 95% of the transactions have incorrect
Payee info ("Withdraw" transaction for $35.85?  That's gotta be a
gasoline purchase...).  And archiving won't "fix" this, since they're
all within the period I'm going to keep.  (Gotta remember, it's my own
damn fault this happened...)

> Alternatively, delete the accounts that you will re-download. Set up
> new ones and download. Adjust the starting balances for the
> accounts. Transfers to non-deleted accounts will be something you
> will have to attend to.

If I do the archive thing, I presume I can adjust the starting balance
via the Account Details.

> Copying and pasting the bank statement into Excel may let you make a
> running balance. Oddly, when I paste an statement from a web page
> statement I am looking at, I need to paste it "special" as text.

Why would I want to use Excel, when I have Money for this?

I'm not copying a statement from the web, I'm downloading a series of
*.ofx files (one per account) that since Money was open at the time,
automatically prompted to import.

> >Also, and this may become irrelevant with the above, I downloaded and
> >imported OFX based e-statements from the bank, and on two of the four
> >accounts I'm told by Money that I have statements to read, but when I

Never mind, see above.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan                                         www.gordol.org
The from userid is killfiled             Send personal mail to gordol

"The Superior Person's Book Of Words", by Peter Bowler: CARDIALGIA:
Heartburn, i.e., mild indigestion.  To the uninitiated, however,
cardialgia sounds like a serious disorder of the heart; hence suitable
for excuses, sympathy-seeking ploys, etc.
0
nomail8657 (65)
2/24/2008 4:21:54 AM
In microsoft.public.money, Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:

>And, of course, something like 95% of the transactions have incorrect
>Payee info ("Withdraw" transaction for $35.85?  That's gotta be a
>gasoline purchase...).  And archiving won't "fix" this, since they're
>all within the period I'm going to keep.  (Gotta remember, it's my own
>damn fault this happened...)

Check out the advanced FindAndReplace to change Payees etc for
transactions that have enough commonality to search on. You can then
change category or payee to what you want.

Also consider the PayeeRulesManager. Here are some Payee-handling
suggestions:

Go to
Accounts&Bills->Categories&Payees->Payees->PreferredPayeeNames or
Banking->AccountTools->Categories&Payees->Payees->PreferredPayeeNames
which shows how downloaded names are translated into Payees.
Record the Payee Name Variation(s) shown for the wrong payee.
Delete the entries that correspond to the wrong payee.

Then click on GoToPayeeRulesManager.  Excluded Payee Names
identifies words and phrases that should be ignored from the payee
field (e.g., check, deposit).  Add each word or phrase that was
listed as a Payee Name Variation that you recorded.

While you are at it, it is usually a good idea to select
Tools->Options->OnlineServices->ReplacePayeeNames....
Tools->Settings->OnlineServiceSettings->ReplacePayeeNames....

You may want to set
Tools->Settings->OnlineServices->AddADescriptionToTheMemoField

>> Alternatively, delete the accounts that you will re-download. Set up
>> new ones and download. Adjust the starting balances for the
>> accounts. Transfers to non-deleted accounts will be something you
>> will have to attend to.
>
>If I do the archive thing, I presume I can adjust the starting balance
>via the Account Details.

Yes. Alternatively set that to zero and make a single compensating
transaction with an early date to represent the opening balance.
That way it is easy to get to.

Also consider increasing the number of backups that Money keeps.
File->Restore is your undo.
0
via_newsgroup (13114)
2/24/2008 6:19:35 AM
Previously on microsoft.public.money, Cal Learner-- MVP said:

> >And, of course, something like 95% of the transactions have incorrect
> >Payee info ("Withdraw" transaction for $35.85?  That's gotta be a
> >gasoline purchase...).  And archiving won't "fix" this, since they're
> >all within the period I'm going to keep.  (Gotta remember, it's my own
> >damn fault this happened...)
>
> Check out the advanced FindAndReplace to change Payees etc for
> transactions that have enough commonality to search on. You can then
> change category or payee to what you want.

I'll try to keep that in mind if it happens again - By the time I saw
your message, I had already manually edited them all.

In case it matters, the Payee field on them was about 48% each
"Withdraw" or empty, with the remaining 2% split between "Transfer of
Finds" and something along the lines of "Rev Trans".  In all cases
except for the "Transfer of Funds" items, the Memo field had the full
merchant info.  The "Transfer of Funds" items only had PayPal info, not
who I was paying through PayPal.

> Go to
> Accounts&Bills->Categories&Payees->Payees->PreferredPayeeNames or
> Banking->AccountTools->Categories&Payees->Payees->PreferredPayeeNames

The second path exists in this version of Money.

> which shows how downloaded names are translated into Payees.
> Record the Payee Name Variation(s) shown for the wrong payee.
> Delete the entries that correspond to the wrong payee.

That list looks like it's been auto-populated by prior manual edits in
the register.  Unfortunately, unless there's a setting to read the info
from the Memo field into the Payee field, reconciling such downloaded
transactions in the future will remain a manual job.

> >If I do the archive thing, I presume I can adjust the starting balance
> >via the Account Details.
>
> Yes. Alternatively set that to zero and make a single compensating
> transaction with an early date to represent the opening balance.
> That way it is easy to get to.
>
> Also consider increasing the number of backups that Money keeps.
> File->Restore is your undo.

I have it set to keep 3 backups.  It ignores that and keeps all
backups, requiring me to periodically manually delete old backups.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan                                         www.gordol.org
The from userid is killfiled             Send personal mail to gordol

"If I'm the president, we're going to have emergency-room care, we're
going to have gag orders." - George W. Bush, Oct 18, 2000
0
nomail8657 (65)
2/25/2008 5:25:24 PM
Previously on microsoft.public.money, Cal Learner-- MVP said:

> >If I do the archive thing, I presume I can adjust the starting balance
> >via the Account Details.
>
> Yes. Alternatively set that to zero and make a single compensating
> transaction with an early date to represent the opening balance.
> That way it is easy to get to.

I did the archive thing.  On one of the accounts, it did not remove any
entries of a Paycheck transaction, I had to remove them manually.  The
balances were off on most accounts, so I entered an adjustment
transaction for those.

When I downloaded and imported the ofx files, all of the matching
transactions were "accepted" and are marked with an "E" in the
register.  Is there any way to mark them as "reeconciled" en masse, or
will I have to do that manually?

--
Jeffrey Kaplan                                         www.gordol.org
The from userid is killfiled             Send personal mail to gordol

DISCLAIMER: Handle with extreme care: This product contains minute
electrically charged particles moving at velocities in excess of five
hundred million miles per hour.
0
nomail8657 (65)
2/29/2008 10:03:43 PM
In microsoft.public.money, Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:

>When I downloaded and imported the ofx files, all of the matching
>transactions were "accepted" and are marked with an "E" in the
>register.  Is there any way to mark them as "reeconciled" en masse, or
>will I have to do that manually?

If you wish to  declare an account balanced, you can mark all
entries balanced / Reconciled.  Select to show only unreconciled
transactions.  Sort by date, and go to the oldest transaction.
Hold down Cntl+Shift+M and let auto-repeat work thru the
transactions until none are left showing.  Then you could  balance
making the starting and ending balance match the known balance.
Choose the balance date to be the day after your last transaction.
0
via_newsgroup (13114)
3/1/2008 4:50:00 AM
Previously on microsoft.public.money, Cal Learner-- MVP said:

> If you wish to  declare an account balanced, you can mark all
> entries balanced / Reconciled.  Select to show only unreconciled
> transactions.  Sort by date, and go to the oldest transaction.
> Hold down Cntl+Shift+M and let auto-repeat work thru the
> transactions until none are left showing.  Then you could  balance

That is still manually, but it is easier/faster than going through the
full Reconcile procedure.  Thank you.

> making the starting and ending balance match the known balance.

My ending balances are now in sync, marking old stuff as reconciled is
the last step (I hope) to bringing everything up to date.

> Choose the balance date to be the day after your last transaction.

Not that it matters, but I'm only going to do this mass-mark through
the end of December for now, wait until I get my next statement then
resume to the statement's period and then move forward normally.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan                                         www.gordol.org
The from userid is killfiled             Send personal mail to gordol

Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #135.
My doomsday machine will have a highly-advanced technological device
called a capacitor in case someone inconveniently pulls the plug at the
last second. (If I have access to REALLY advanced technology, I will
include a back-up device known as a battery.)
0
nomail8657 (65)

Money Default Sound Wavs?
I am running Money Deluxe 2007 (ver. 16, updated--still getting downloads). Even though the sounds were turned on (program settings), within the list of sounds (change sounds, scroll down), they all got set to None (due to change in OS?), so I had no sound. Does anyone know the default wavs assigned to each action? Here is a list of the 36 Money actions: Account Balance Negative Advisor FYI Popup Audio/Video Help Off Audio/Video Help On AutoComplete Clear/Reconcile Transaction Close Menu Congratulations Delete Transaction Engage 1-Line Mode Engage 3-Line Mode Enter ...

sending mail 07-23-10
I cannot send mail. ISP is Charter and all setting are correct. I have updates on all tools and still NO sending capabilities. help -- concerned user On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 20:14:55 -0700, Jody <Jody@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I cannot send mail. ISP is Charter and all setting are correct. >I have updates on all tools and still NO sending capabilities. >help Obviously your settings aren't correct. Well, ok, maybe they are - I can't say that. Perhaps your settings ARE correct and Charter is having problems. Short of the full and exact error m...

Borrowing money from overseas to purchase in Australia
I am looking to finance a AUD $12M real estate purchase in Australia and was wondering if I am restricted to obtaining finance from an Australian Bank? I live in Australia and have both Australian and British citizenship. Australian interest rates are closing in on 10% however US interest rates are considerably lower so the obvious question is how does one benefit from the lower interest rates available overseas? Thanks in advance... ...

Kicking users out of database
I have a split database. There are times when I need to access the backend to make changes or additions, but often it is always open by a user. I am wondering if there is a way to have Access automatically close on the users pc after a set period of inactivity? Thanks, CEV Take a look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/210297 (Don't worry if you're not using Access 2000: that approach works in all versions) -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "CEV" <chadv@advancebkg.com> wrote in message news:f2hlm80285c@enew...

MSN Stock Watch List in Money 2006 Deluxe Portfolio Manager
I inadvertently deleted the MSN Stock Watch list from my Portfolio Manager. Now, despite the list still being in existence under my Passport, I cannot seem to restore it intact into Portfolio Manager via either Money 2006 Deluxe or MSN Money. I'd greatly appreciate any insight from those who may know how to restore this list as an active Portfolio Manager account, which would be much more preferable to creating a new watch list, which would not only not auto-sync with the entries made from the MSN pages, but would also require re-entry of the huge list I have now. I really want m...

Resetting Office I.D.
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Power PC I bought two copies of Office (that top of the line edition) last year, and installed both on my wife's and my laptops. This past weekend I had to replace her hard drive and reinstall Office. I accidentally reused my Office I.D., and now Office won't let both of us run programs at the same time. HOW DO I RESET THE USER I.D., SO THAT BOTH I.D.'S ARE USED? MY LAPTOP INSISTS ON RETAINING THE SAME USER I.D. In article <59b7d8ef.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw>, <revjim@officeformac.com> wrote: > H...

Money Bug 03/04: Stock Changes it's name but Maoney wont let that happen.
I have seen this in Money 2003 and now 2004. A company, such as DELL changes it's name but not is it symbol. When I download transactions Money asks if the new name is the same investment as the old name (obviously it is as they have the same symbol). I say yes it is the same. Money asks "Are You Sure Dell Computers is the same as Dell Inc". Regardless of how I answer this confirm It asks the first question again, and again and again and again until I admit that Dell Inc is NOT Dell Computer. Only then can I continue the reconcile. Every time I upgrade I wish I did not. I...

Sales Module and later Service Module on the same Database
If possible to install the sales licence ... use it... and later install the other module using the same database?? When you install CRM you can add any license (sales, service or suite), you can also remove or add licenses as needed. You will be using the same databases regardless of your license type. Thanks - Annie >-----Original Message----- >If possible to install the sales licence ... use it... and later install the >other module using the same database?? >. > That is true. But when you install the server... you use a licence that it's different between Sales...

Converting from Money 2001 to Money 2004
I have a friend who was using Money 2001 and it was working just fine. He decided to get Money 2004 Small Business edition. We installed the software, but when we try to open his old data from Money 2001, an error messages pops up and says that the file was created on a non compatible version. Does anyone have any clues on how we can fix this problem? They have to be the same localized version or you will not be able to convert. For instance, US can only convert to US---you could not convert a UK version to US. "Benjamin" <thenewsn@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1...

Bank of America/MBNA Merge
BOA bought MBNA, and now my CC information is on a BOA website. However, when I try and add these credentials to a new "Bank of America (All except CA, WA, & ID)" Credit Card account in Money, I get an error. Anybody know what steps I need to go through to allow me to be able to download transactions? I just called them up yesterday, and was told that similar to MBNA, you can export credit card transactions from the website, but not directly from Money, which is why it won't take your password. If you have other accounts at BOA, then you can link those directly i...

Database And Excel
I am currently using excel to manage a small database. The problem is my database is getting big and I need more then the 65000 lines excel can have. I have considered access but it lacks some important built-in features from excel. For exemple: - Easily Add multiples similar entry with incremental numbers - Add colors easily - Display Conveniency Maybe I just don't know how to use acces in this case I would appreciate a help as to where I could find info to do what I want Else is there a software that could fill my needs for such a database. In fact what I need is something usefull to...

Money essentials #13
Hello, I have downloaded the trail version of Microsoft Money essentials. I am wondering if this program is also available in Dutch? greets Jorin Nope. And I suspect you will find that the combination of Money Essential's (MEss) dependence on interaction with banks and tailoring to US banks only will make it pretty useless outside the US. "Jorin van Mourik" <JorinvanMourik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E0D876C2-6FFA-4D82-9B4A-379D26FE3749@microsoft.com... > I have downloaded the trail version of Microsoft Money essentials. I am > wondering ...

Money 2000 DLL error
I cannot view any reports because I have a MFC42.DLL error message. Can anyone help me please? The Microsoft Knowledgebase possibly can http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=317404 -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny or http://money.mvps.org/faq for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your product wishes see http://money.mvps.org/wishes.aspx I do not respond to any unsolicited email regarding Money "Timmyq52" <Timmyq52@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:13...

How to automatically populate an Excel database w/data from many forms?
I have a data collection spreadsheet laid out like a form for multipl users; each user will do a save as to create hundreds of records o copies of this form. We are using the data collected to build an Exce database. Currently we are manually keying the data from the form into a single spreadsheet (the database). Is there a way to automat the transfer of the data from the forms into the database? Also, eac record will have a unique ID number. We are working in MS Excel 2002. Thank you -- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I think I'd tell the user to run a macro that...

Money 2003 #26
How do I set up a Fidelity cash management account in Money. Is it cash, is it credit card, is it a stock account, is it all of the above (yes) but how do I set it up? Thnx Jerry Rehert In microsoft.public.money, <grehert@yahoo.com> wrote: >How do I set up a Fidelity cash management account in >Money. Is it cash, is it credit card, is it a stock >account, is it all of the above (yes) but how do I set it >up? Set it up as an investment account. ...

Whatever happened to Microsoft Money?
I am based in the UK. I have been using MS Money for more years than I care to remember, but the version I have been using for the last 6 years has been Money 2002 Personal + Business edition. I just upgraded my laptop (to run Vista Business) and thought it might be a good idea to bring all my software up to date also. Had a hunt for Money in some UK retailers, and was surprised to find absolutely nothing. Looked on Microsoft's site and, sure enough, there was Money 2008 looking wizzier than ever. So what gives? Is Money now a US-only product? If so: (a) will Money 2008 be good to work i...

Money 2004 60-day version: Uninstall problem when a user is not an administrator
I want to report a bug in the 60-day version of Money 2004. Hopefully people in PSS or the product group read this newsgroup. I do not know the product ID for Money 2004, nor did the Assisted Support lookup tool list one for Money 2004, so I could not use Assisted Support. To repro: 1. Install Money 2004 60-day version on WinXP Pro using an account in the Administrators group. 2. Log on as another user that is not part of Administrators. Log off. 3. From the first account, uninstall Money 2004 using Add/Remove Programs. 4. Log on as the other non-admin user. Get a prompt from...

Money 2004: Can't balance savings account
Hello, I'm trying to balance my saving account in Money 2004. This is the first time for this account. I fill in all the info such as statement date, ending balance, etc. Then when I hit "next" nothing happens. The dialog stays up and I can't continue. The only way to get out is to hit "cancel" which of course doesn't balance the account. Anybody know what's going on? Thanks, Boaz ...

money 99 on new computer
Can I have both money 99 and money 2004 on my new computer? I want to use my files from 99 but can't seem to figure out how to restore them to money 2004. I tried to install money 99, but get this error: ordinal 6467 could not be located in the dynamic link library MFC42.DLL Can anyone help me? Well, you may have broken the M04 application by installing M99 without noting the following. M99 can be installed alongside M04 **into a different folder** but will take over file associations. Why can't you seem to restore your M99 file in M04? Were the backups or just the Money files ...

Unable to access Money 2003 Revisited
Two things have occurred in the past 2 days that have me curious, and am wondering if they have any bearing on the problem. I was informed that an update was available. The indication was that it was for XP SP2, but when I clicked the button nothing seemed to happen. To my knowledge, SP2 was never downloaded. A search of Money files brought up a Money 2005 file. Where it came from I do not know??? Could this be causing a problem? "Chickootz" <dpcicchi(removethis)@conexu.com> wrote in message news:O%233SdXLiEHA.3288@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Two things have occurred i...

Money 2005
-- ... Hank http://horedson.home.att.net http://w0rli.home.att.net See reply in other post. ...

Problem installing Money 2005 on Vista
Hi, I have previously used Money on XP and 2000 and have have just tried to install it onto a new laptop running Vista Home Premium. I do not know what version of Money I have, I beleive it may be Money 2005 Deluxe (Version 14.0.120.805, Australia/English). From what I can see this is the latest version available to purchase in Australia. As I have had problems before when re-installing Money and trying to open my old data file first (on previous machines using XP or 2000) I always do the following procedure when upgrading laptops: 1) Open Money and start a new file (I do not open ol...

Money 2006 vs. Money 2007
Does anyone yet have experience with Money 2007 especially concerning the performance, which is absolutely poor in the 2006 version? Any comment is appreciated. Thanks Read more. Post less. "Aida" <Aida@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8419B843-7B49-4665-B439-6D2512B98004@microsoft.com... > Does anyone yet have experience with Money 2007 > especially concerning the performance, which is absolutely poor in the > 2006 > version? > Any comment is appreciated. > Thanks Microsoft has admitted a performance issue in the portfolio manager in ...

Does Money 2007 work in Vista RC1?
I load money 2007 in Vista RC1 but cannot sign-in online. I can work off-line OK. It says I must be connetced to the internet to sign in. I went to knowledge base and verified that I could go to MS Money URL and sign-in Is there some setting I must esatblish? -- John L Some people have had no problems at all - others say they can't work. I would imagine that you are using too early a version of Vista - RC1 was an awfully long time ago. It was followed by RC2 and then RTM. MS have said that a patch to M2007 is needed and will be released before the Consumer version of Vista hits...

Migrate an Access database
Hello, Is there any way to migrate an access database to a standalone product? In other words, is there a way to operate a access data base without the access program. If so what would be the basic steps, ie purchase from a third party, c++ programming? I appreciate any help with this matter. Thanks. How about the Office Developers Edition? This is a package that will allow you to build a stand-alone product that does not require Access. Not sure how good it is or whether it coexists with a "fully" licnesed copy of Access or Office. I have not tried to deploy such...