Investment Gain Less Dividends

I see that the "%Gain" column in the Investment Portfolio
includes dividends earned.

Is there a Portfolio Column selection that provides the
simple gain/loss % in a stock price without including
dividends?

Thanks,  Lloyd
0
anonymous (74722)
1/26/2004 7:26:06 PM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

In microsoft.public.money, Lloyd wrote:

>I see that the "%Gain" column in the Investment Portfolio
>includes dividends earned.
>
>Is there a Portfolio Column selection that provides the
>simple gain/loss % in a stock price without including
>dividends?

There is a Price Appreciation column, but no % Price Appreciation.

You might consider that dividends are real money.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
1/26/2004 10:05:59 PM
Thanks again, Cal.

Yeah, dividends are money, but the decline in a stock's
price is also interesting.  In the specific case, the
stock pays a 10% dividend, but I've held it for 2 years
and have a net loss.

I guess the designers of these programs have their own
ideas about what is interesting.

Instead of only trying to guess what people would want to
see in the portfolio, too bad they did not build something
that lets the user define a custom column with its own
formula.

I'm still trying out Money and keeping my Quicken
portfolio going.

So far, I'm not seeing enough power in the Money program
to justify changing all my other accounts over from
Quicken.  For one thing, when I converted from Quicken,
all my checking accounts transactions apparently choked
the online update capability(?).  Until I deleted all my
checking accounts history, I could not complete the get
online quotes even if I waited 45 minutes.

I'll keep trying...

Lloyd.

0
anonymous (74722)

unrealized gain report errors
This just started in '04. I'm running Mony 99 Financial Suite v7.0. When I record the sale of a partial lot of stock, the cost column is not updating to reflect the cost accross a smaller number of shares. i.e. - I have 200 shares of xyz at a cost of $10/ea for a total lot cost of $2000. Prior to entering a partial lot sale, the unrealized gain calc is correct. When I enter a partial sale of 50 shares, the cost column remains fixed at $2000 rather than recalculating the cost basis at $1500. The unrealized gain is now calculated at current price - $13.33 ($2000/150 shares...

Investment Accounts over time
Is there a way to get a report which is a line chart of the value of multiple investment accounts over time, and compare them to the indexes (S&P, dow, nasdaq)?? I can compare individual stocks to indexes, and I can create a report of investment account value over time (using net worth report), but I can't seem to compare my entire portfolio to an index.... I've got money 03 I believe... Thanks! Cameron Cameron wrote: > Is there a way to get a report which is a line chart of the value of > multiple investment accounts over time, and compare them to the > indexes (S&...

A Great Investment Opportunity! #3
INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITY! Fork It Over! a Ground Floor Unique Dimension & Concept In the Children's Entertainment Market... For More information http://www.kidseyeview.us ...

Cost Basis of Investment Sales for Tax Purposes
OK-the most important thing this program can do for me is to figure the cost basis of shares of stock or mutual fund I have sold within the calendar year as far tax purposes are concerned (i.e.-transactions reported on 1099-B's.) Lets say I sold 100 shares of a mutual fund on July 1, 2007. I first started buying the fund in 2000. I have sold some in previous years, bought some outright in previous years, and reinvested dividends almost every month which, is, in effect, buying. I understand the First In First Out concept, but can the program figure out the cost basis of the 100 sh...

Downloading financial data from Bank of America Investment Service
Hello all, I tired downloading my financial data today and I gfot a message from Money 05 that BofA Investment services did not recognize my password. I tested it on the website directly and it worked. I went back to Money 05, and it asks me for a new password. I type it in and then I get a message: password cannot contain letter... Where is hades did MS Money get that data from? Certainly the bank is ok with it... Any tips on how to get around this (besdes changing my password to suit money). It is definitly the little things like this that will push me the Quicken. cheers I just...

I need open or gain access to an external file
Here is my problem and I hope someone can help me out. I am trying to open or retrieve data from a file that is only accessable from a different user. Example: If you are logged in under user and need to access a file that is only available under admin. The files are unavailable under user because they do not need to be tampered with. These files cannot be made public. Is there a way to do this? Doesn't that sound like it would defeat the purpose of having the file placed where you can't/shouldn't be able to get to it? -- Best Regards, Luke M "P.Griesh...

M2005
When I set up Money 2005 to "Access your Money data on the Web" it appears to initially work. The next time I open Money, the numbers are OK but after it sits and synchronizes for some time, the cash positions of some, not all, of my investment accounts display a large negative amount. This reduces my portfolio drastically. I have looked at the registers and can't find where the error is creeping in so I can't fix it. I needed to restore to a backup prior to setting up Web access and make sure I don't select that action again. This particular erroneous feature that I...

Can't get Chase Investments prices on the weekend
I have several Chase accounts defined to Money Plus Deluxe, including some investment accounts. I also have a Fidelity IRA and a Vanguard 401(k) defined. For some reason, when I update prices on the weekend for these accounts, there is one Chase investment account that does not get ANY price, which leaves the investment with a zero balance. Has anyone else seen this and is there a fix? -- Robert Do you mean JPM or Chase Investment Services Corp. (CISC)? If you mean CISC, we do not "price" securities on non-business days. We only price securities - through our pricing...

Messenger-less webcam
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel why is it that a] the corporate side of Messenger for Mac doesnt allow one to log on unless (presumably) if you are on a commercial/corporate network? b] the personal side of Messenger for Mac doesnt have a webcam option while the corporate does? It's not fair on private individuals who don't have a network, and therefore a user id, to cut out one of the key areas of useage. Come out of the era when being a mac user was 'beyond the pale' and bring out a version where both facets of the software enable ...

managing investments
Hello, I am wondering if someone here can help me, I am looking for some portfolio management software that will make my life easier by being able to: - handle property, stocks and derivatives in the one product rather than three separate products - manage several portfolios that are different (eg: my personal investments as well as my investment club in another portfolio) without them interferring with eachother - prepare accurate capital gains reports including capital gains components from distributions as well(!) not just sales - calculate capital gains accurately by taking into accou...

Charting Investment Management Performance Versus Peers
Does anyone know how to create a combo floating/stacked bar chart in Excel, like this: http://www.pertrac2000.com/images/peerchart.gif Thank you. Thank you so much, Max. "Max" <demechanik@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eGLwOljaDHA.1488@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Try MVP Jon Peltier's "Stacked Column Charts that Cross the X Axis" at: > http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/Charts/StackedColumnsAboveAndBelow > .html Thank you so much, Max. //tim you're welcome, Tim! ...

Can't delete Money investment; investment gets recreated after every download #2
Hi, I'm running into an annoying issue with Money 2006: A while ago I accidentally set up two investments for MSFT: one with an associated stock symbol, and the other obviously with no symbol. I would like to merge these two investments. I tried doing that by remapping all of the 'wrong' investment transactions to the right investment (the one with the stock symbol), and then deleting the wrong investment. However, every time I go to download account updates from Fidelity, I get a prompt saying "you've got xxx stock of Microsoft Corp. (the wrong type)". If I let Mone...

Incorrect Realized gain/loss in money '02 reports
After inputing my investment info into money, i went to look at some of the reports that it provides. On one of my inv. it shows a realized gain of $18.45 THIS IS FALSE as i have been keeping everything in Excel spreadsheets. It should be $218.45. I enter all info into the transaction area and have entered a "activity" of sell which should have generated a $218.45 profit. Money know what i payed for the stock and what i sold it for. I really dont want to go back to Excel but if this is the best money can do then i guess i'll have to. I cant deal with incorrect informatio...

Classification for Investment Transactions
I use classifications to organise my transactions for reporting. For example I have one which identifies a transaction as Capital or Current. I can't find a way of allocating a classification to an investment transaction. OK, I can 'classify' the associated transfer in/out of the associated Investment (Cash) account, but then that is only classifying the transfer, not the actual income or expenditure, so of course it doesn't appear in Income/Expenditure reports. Am I missing something, or is there no support for classifications in Investment accounts? I'm using Money 200...

Problem with investment vs cash balances in Money 2004
I am having a terrible problem with balancing the cash side of an investment account. I have searched this newsgroup and have already tried the various "file repair" options (i.e., msmoney -s, quick and standard file repair, and salvage). I have even exported the account and reimported it. However, none of these attempts have fixed the problem (or even identified that anything is wrong with the file). Here is what I am experiencing: I use a brokerage account as my checking account. I download transactions periodically and reconcile the cash side monthly against my paper...

Invest smart 02-01-08
How much profit can you make with one dollar? Check out this website www.forbuck.com Without any obligation, registering or other ties make cash! ...

Conditional formatting based off cell with text? (i.e. "less than 80%")
Is Excel 2007 smart enough to do this? I have an instance where I need conditional formatting set up for a cell whose condition is based off of another cell. But the second cell with the condition is a not a simple number or percentage. It contains a text condition like "Less than 10%" or "70% or greater". Is this even possible in Excel? And the text can be tweaked but for appearance's sake...as close to the examples posted as possible. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance. Hi You could use custom Formatting of cells instead of using text. Format>Cells>Number>...

Money 2004 Investment Report
I am trying to generate a Miney 2004 investment report which shows the stock symbol. All the investment reports which I have been able to generate include only the stock name. I don't see any customization option which when checked would allow me to include the stock symbol. I want to display the stock symbol and stock name on a report and then export the report to an Excel spreadsheet. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Brian... In microsoft.public.money, Brian wrote: >I am trying to generate a Miney 2004 investment report >which shows the stock symbol. All the invest...

Cash on hand across investment accounts
Does anyone know how to generate a report that shows cash (only) across multiple accounts? On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 12:29:01 -0700, Dave <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Does anyone know how to generate a report that shows cash (only) across >multiple accounts? Portfolio Value by Investment Type will do that. If you want to show ONLY cash, then: Customize Reset Yes Customize Chart Report Investment Select Investment Type Other OK --ron This was very helpful. Thanks Ron. "Ron Rosenfeld" wrote: > On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 12:29:01 -0700, Dave <...

Investments #4
I recently created an account with a brokerage firm. I moved all my separate accounts to the new brokerage firm account. When I check my portfolio, the new brokerage account does not list the contents. Any ideas? In microsoft.public.money, Mike Eagan wrote: >I recently created an account with a brokerage firm. I >moved all my separate accounts to the new brokerage firm >account. What did you click to accomplish that? >When I check my portfolio, the new brokerage account does >not list the contents. Does the Investment Transactions register of the new brokerage accoun...

Investment Transfer Error
I've found what seems to be a strange error in Money 2005. If I transfer an investment from one account to another, and then try to view my portfolio by Investment Type in any Customised View - 1) the transferred investment does not appear in the portfolio by name. An line is shown for the investment in the right place in the alphabetical sorting sequence, and the value of the investment appears to be correctly shown, but the investment name shown is a duplicate of the investment immediately before the transferred investment by alphabetical sorting sequence. 2) Money responds unpre...

Investment Directory
Investmentmap.com is India's first portal exclusively devoted to investments. The site, empowers investors to find or be forwarded to any and every kind of information relevant to the investment world, whether it be on trader resources including books, softwares, CD's or on information aboutstock exchanges, authorities, institutional investors, financial institutions, mutual funds, rating agencies, publications, banks, primary issues, leading corporates, investment education, online trading, technical analysis, brokerage houses, venture funds, depositories, business travel,federations ...

Move an investment to a different account
I woud like to move one of my investments to a different investment account. I have done this before, but can't remember how I did it now. Grateful for help - using Money 2005. Investment Activity Transfer Shares, IIRC. "RichT" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message news:4b7c1e63$0$17496$ba4acef3@news.orange.fr... > I woud like to move one of my investments to a different investment > account. I have done this before, but can't remember how I did it now. > Grateful for help - using Money 2005. > Perhaps that was too terse. Enter an investm...

Serious Bug Importing 401(k) Bond Investment
Hello, I don't know if Microsoft actually checks this newsgroup but I found a serious bug in Money 2004. Through my company I have a 401(k) program that I invest in. It is held af Fidelity Investments. When I try to import (File... Import) the account history file (history.qif) that I download from the web site it asks which account in money I want to put it in to. I chose my retirement account and then it wants to know what individual account to put it in. If any of those individual investments are listed as Bond investments Money changes a $19.59174 amount into $1,959.174. Any...

SQL BETWEEN If end date is less than start date all records between are still displayed.
I noticed that this query shows records the records between even if the second date is larger than the first. No big deal really I just was not expecting it. I suppose you have to code around it in case somebody makes a mistake. Avid Fan wrote: >I noticed that this query shows records the records between even if the >second date is larger than the first. > >No big deal really I just was not expecting it. > >I suppose you have to code around it in case somebody makes a mistake. > Between doesn't care which one is earlier. If it matters ...