Incorrect calculation of returns after "Transfer an Account"

I transferred the mutual funds in several rollover IRAs into a single IRA. I
used "Record a special Activity -> Transfer an Account." The account balances
are correct, except now the return calculations for these mutual funds are
completely wrong. It looks like all the gain is attributed to the mutual fund
since the transfer date.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? Is there a work-around?
0
soffsey (1)
7/29/2007 3:42:00 AM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

The former. Or maybe a "feature" that could stand to be "improved". None
come to mind.

"soffsey" <soffsey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? Is there a work-around?

I switched from Smith Barney to Charles Swab..same problem. The returns are
from the day of the transfer. I wonder if I should manually make the changes
and if I do is there a going to be any problems?

Marc

"Dick Watson" wrote:

> The former. Or maybe a "feature" that could stand to be "improved". None
> come to mind.
>
> "soffsey" <soffsey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? Is there a work-around?

0
MD1 (196)
8/3/2007 9:58:03 PM
In microsoft.public.money, md wrote:

>I switched from Smith Barney to Charles Swab..same problem. The returns are
>from the day of the transfer. I wonder if I should manually make the changes
>and if I do is there a going to be any problems?

Consider this:

Make a COPY of your file with a different name, so that you can try
it both ways for a while.

In the settings for the new copy, change the root name of the backup
files so that you can distinguish which is which.

In the copy, disable the SB account for online access.

In the CS account, Void the AddShares transactions that got when you
downloaded the incoming transferred shares.

Merge the accounts.

Expect to have some manual things to do for a while. Dividends that
are accrued but not yet paid will get paid to the CS account, and
come in as a deposit to the CS account. You could let it just be
that way, or you could Void the deposits and instead enter the
dividends by hand. That way the performance of the investments will
be computed taking the dividends into the account.

Maintain both files until you feel sure which way you want to go
with.

>Marc
>
>"Dick Watson" wrote:
>
>> The former. Or maybe a "feature" that could stand to be "improved". None
>> come to mind.
>>
>> "soffsey" <soffsey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? Is there a work-around?

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
8/3/2007 10:26:47 PM
I will try..thanks. BUT I don't the program will let me merge these two
accounts. Usually from my experience you can only merge accounts from the
same investment firm, or bank. For example, if you have 2 credit cards issued
from the same bank you can merge them.

"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:

> In microsoft.public.money, md wrote:
>

> >I switched from Smith Barney to Charles Swab..same problem. The returns are
> >from the day of the transfer. I wonder if I should manually make the changes
> >and if I do is there a going to be any problems?
>
> Consider this:
>
> Make a COPY of your file with a different name, so that you can try
> it both ways for a while.
>
> In the settings for the new copy, change the root name of the backup
> files so that you can distinguish which is which.
>
> In the copy, disable the SB account for online access.
>
> In the CS account, Void the AddShares transactions that got when you
> downloaded the incoming transferred shares.
>
> Merge the accounts.
>
> Expect to have some manual things to do for a while. Dividends that
> are accrued but not yet paid will get paid to the CS account, and
> come in as a deposit to the CS account. You could let it just be
> that way, or you could Void the deposits and instead enter the
> dividends by hand. That way the performance of the investments will
> be computed taking the dividends into the account.
>
> Maintain both files until you feel sure which way you want to go
> with.
>

> >Marc
> >
> >"Dick Watson" wrote:
> >
> >> The former. Or maybe a "feature" that could stand to be "improved". None
> >> come to mind.
> >>
> >> "soffsey" <soffsey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
MD1 (196)
8/3/2007 11:06:01 PM
In microsoft.public.money, md wrote:

>I will try..thanks. BUT I don't the program will let me merge these two
>accounts. Usually from my experience you can only merge accounts from the
>same investment firm, or bank. For example, if you have 2 credit cards issued
>from the same bank you can merge them.

If that is the case, change the FI and account number of SB after
you disable the account for online access.

Then you should be able to merge.
0
via_newsgroup (13114)

Incorrect calculation of returns after "Transfer an Account"
I transferred the mutual funds in several rollover IRAs into a single IRA. I used "Record a special Activity -> Transfer an Account." The account balances are correct, except now the return calculations for these mutual funds are completely wrong. It looks like all the gain is attributed to the mutual fund since the transfer date. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? Is there a work-around? The former. Or maybe a "feature" that could stand to be "improved". None come to mind. "soffsey" <soffsey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in...