I'm about to toss Money completely.

After using Money for almost three years, I have enjoyed 
using the product.  However, about 6 months ago it began 
screwing up.

First some background.  I am a Fidelity customer and use 
Money to download my statements.  I then categorize the 
transaction, add memo etc. to one or more transactions.

Here are the problems:

1. I download statements from Fidelity.  Money 
should "Read Transactions".  But when I click on the link 
to reconcile, it doesn't display anything.  In effect, 
Money is unusable to me at this point because nothing is 
being updated.

2. I tried ALL the means to resolve this problem (there 
are about 5 different things you can do) and NONE of them 
work.

3. I tried restoring from a backup too.  This too is 
useless.

4. I tried rebuild all my accounts with a new file.  This 
works BUT I have lost all my transactions (which date all 
the way back to 2001), categories etc. What's worse, 
subsequent statement downloads don't occur.

5. I have tried a variety of things to recover my 
transaction, including, exporting transaction from the 
last good back to a QIF, loading the newly created file 
(from step 4 above) them importing from the QIF file.  It 
doesn't work.

At this point 3 years or working with Money is 
worthless.  I can't update, I can't recover my old 
transaction.

I am thinking about tossing this app altogether.  I wish 
I could get my money back (pardon the pun).

K
0
anonymous (74722)
9/21/2004 10:10:09 PM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

21 Replies
264 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 4

Then most DEFINTELY do not upgrade to 2005... :(

"K" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:34c701c4a027$c1efbf60$a501280a@phx.gbl...
> After using Money for almost three years, I have enjoyed
> using the product.  However, about 6 months ago it began
> screwing up.
>
> First some background.  I am a Fidelity customer and use
> Money to download my statements.  I then categorize the
> transaction, add memo etc. to one or more transactions.
>
> Here are the problems:
>
> 1. I download statements from Fidelity.  Money
> should "Read Transactions".  But when I click on the link
> to reconcile, it doesn't display anything.  In effect,
> Money is unusable to me at this point because nothing is
> being updated.
>
> 2. I tried ALL the means to resolve this problem (there
> are about 5 different things you can do) and NONE of them
> work.
>
> 3. I tried restoring from a backup too.  This too is
> useless.
>
> 4. I tried rebuild all my accounts with a new file.  This
> works BUT I have lost all my transactions (which date all
> the way back to 2001), categories etc. What's worse,
> subsequent statement downloads don't occur.
>
> 5. I have tried a variety of things to recover my
> transaction, including, exporting transaction from the
> last good back to a QIF, loading the newly created file
> (from step 4 above) them importing from the QIF file.  It
> doesn't work.
>
> At this point 3 years or working with Money is
> worthless.  I can't update, I can't recover my old
> transaction.
>
> I am thinking about tossing this app altogether.  I wish
> I could get my money back (pardon the pun).
>
> K 


0
IonControl (95)
9/21/2004 11:31:25 PM
In microsoft.public.money, K wrote:

>
>
>1. I download statements from Fidelity.  Money 
>should "Read Transactions".  But when I click on the link 
>to reconcile, it doesn't display anything.  In effect, 
>Money is unusable to me at this point because nothing is 
>being updated.
>
>2. I tried ALL the means to resolve this problem (there 
>are about 5 different things you can do) and NONE of them 
>work.

Would those 5 things include these?

Close Money

In Internet Explorer delete your browser temporary files with
Tools->InternetOptions->DeleteFiles. 

Then open Money with Start->Run and entering
"msmoney -s" without the quotes into the box.

Probably they were the first two, but I thought I would check.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
9/21/2004 11:47:49 PM
Before you toss Money, why don't you try entering your own data for a month 
or two? Downloaded data causes many people more problems than it can 
possibly be worth, near as I can tell.

"K" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:34c701c4a027$c1efbf60$a501280a@phx.gbl...
> After using Money for almost three years, I have enjoyed
> using the product.  However, about 6 months ago it began
> screwing up.
>
> First some background.  I am a Fidelity customer and use
> Money to download my statements.  I then categorize the
> transaction, add memo etc. to one or more transactions.
.... 


0
9/22/2004 12:29:36 AM
Fidelity's downloads for Money are definitely quirky. There is a history 
on this newsgroup of people having unusual problems when using downloads 
with Fidelity.

What you describe sounds similar to an issue from a while ago. Take a 
look at messages in the url below and try the suggestions mentioned near 
the bottom of that thread (be prepared to try a few different things and 
spend some time on this):

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&frame=right&th=29e08b5e8bee19f7

I still like the ability to download transactions, even with Fidelity's 
quirks. So, my opinion differs from Dick Watson's advice about 
downloading transactions; when downloads work correctly, they are 
enormously convenient and very helpful.  But to the uninitiated, they 
take some getting used to, primarily because things are not intuitive at 
first.  My suggestion is to manually enter all transactions possible, 
and continue to download, and use the match feature to match what your 
bank downloaded to what you entered.  In my opinion this is the best 
tradeoff of both worlds, and eliminates sole reliance on your bank's 
data and systems working correctly.

You can't manually enter all the your Fidelity transactions ahead of 
time, with monthly sweep interest for example, the downloads will show 
up before you get the paper statement. One more thing, Fidelity's 
transactions do not follow exactly the model Money expects for cash and 
investment account transactions, and some manual moving of things at the 
end of the month is always required. Search on here for Fidelity and 
sweep account for more background info.

0
Retired
9/22/2004 2:50:06 AM
We disagree consistently on that point, Dick, but I'm not about to put my 
financial data on MS's web servers. My problems with downloading data 
directly from my bank are rare and the labor savings are substantial. I 
actually keep a lot more detail than I would if I had to enter everything 
manually.
-- 
Chris Cowles,
Gainesville, FL

"Dick Watson" <littlegreengecko@mind-enufalready-spring.com> wrote in 
message news:%23COO6sDoEHA.3224@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Before you toss Money, why don't you try entering your own data for a 
> month or two? Downloaded data causes many people more problems than it can 
> possibly be worth, near as I can tell.
>
> "K" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:34c701c4a027$c1efbf60$a501280a@phx.gbl...
>> After using Money for almost three years, I have enjoyed
>> using the product.  However, about 6 months ago it began
>> screwing up.
>>
>> First some background.  I am a Fidelity customer and use
>> Money to download my statements.  I then categorize the
>> transaction, add memo etc. to one or more transactions.
> ...
> 


0
NoSpam1246 (979)
9/22/2004 4:54:07 AM
I agree with you here, but dick is right about first getting experience by 
doing things manually. I did and I think a lot of the mvp's here did also 
long before online banking became so prevalent. Because of this I know how 
the program handles things and have never had any problems once starting to 
download my data. Just my experience.

Jim

"Chris Cowles" <NoSpam@For.me> wrote in message 
news:eyZn3AGoEHA.592@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> We disagree consistently on that point, Dick, but I'm not about to put my 
> financial data on MS's web servers. My problems with downloading data 
> directly from my bank are rare and the labor savings are substantial. I 
> actually keep a lot more detail than I would if I had to enter everything 
> manually.
> -- 
> Chris Cowles,
> Gainesville, FL
>
> "Dick Watson" <littlegreengecko@mind-enufalready-spring.com> wrote in 
> message news:%23COO6sDoEHA.3224@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Before you toss Money, why don't you try entering your own data for a 
>> month or two? Downloaded data causes many people more problems than it 
>> can possibly be worth, near as I can tell.
>>
>> "K" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
>> news:34c701c4a027$c1efbf60$a501280a@phx.gbl...
>>> After using Money for almost three years, I have enjoyed
>>> using the product.  However, about 6 months ago it began
>>> screwing up.
>>>
>>> First some background.  I am a Fidelity customer and use
>>> Money to download my statements.  I then categorize the
>>> transaction, add memo etc. to one or more transactions.
>> ...
>>
>
> 


0
dogman56 (54)
9/22/2004 10:50:26 AM
I accept that.

"Chris Cowles" <NoSpam@For.me> wrote in message 
news:eyZn3AGoEHA.592@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> We disagree consistently on that point 


0
9/22/2004 12:28:36 PM
Since I feel like I ADD a lot of detail to my data that I'd never get
downloaded, I wonder if my ratio of memos, splits, and classification to
transactions is a whole lot higher than yours. This is one of the reasons
I'm convinced it would not save me effort.

For instance, 8 or 9 out of 10 transactions at the grocery store that would
download as nothing more than Groceries I split into two or typically three
elements: Food:Groceries, Miscellaneous:Supplies, and Transfer:(pocket
change [me and/or my wife]). Occasionally you can add things to that like
Leisure:Books and Magazines or Housing:Gardening or...

If I just download, all of that gets lost--the Transfers being a very
significant thing to lose. If I manually enter then match it, what have I
bought myself but I've spent the time and hassle screwing around with the
download. If I don't do anything until I get the downloaded transaction and
then I go to add the extra data, I've forgotten what it was or have to go
dig the receipt back out or whatever. Since the majority (I'm guessing, but
not without some basis in thought) of my transactions have a) splits, and/or
b) memos (and not some stupid merchant number or something), and/or c)
classification, none of which downloads, I don't see the benefit. When
downloaded data reflects what I spent the Money on (Miscellaneous:Supplies
at the Food:Groceries store) and why (Automobile:Gasoline for the
Automobile:SLK), not just what kind of place it was where I spent it, then
I'll consider reconsidering.

I recognize my case doesn't and needn't match yours or anyone else's. But I
still believe that new users shouldn't do the downloaded data thing until
they could do with out it and many users have more trouble with downloaded
data than they'd have without it if they only worked for a while at getting
good at doing without it.

M05 clearly throws a wrench in my theory: they are trying to sell two
products in one. The first I'll call Money View. It's for passive users that
really don't want to manage their money actively and happily take the bank's
word for anything. Downloads are perfect for this crowd because it's all
they'll ever do. The second I'll call Money Management. It's for people who
already use Money effectively. Why they tried to shoehorn these into the
same single product (Merge Duplicate Accounts? What kind of kludge is that?)
is a mystery to me.

"Chris Cowles" <NoSpam@For.me> wrote in message
news:eyZn3AGoEHA.592@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> the labor savings are substantial. I
> actually keep a lot more detail than I would if I had to enter everything
> manually.


0
9/22/2004 2:08:09 PM
You don't lose the split details when you match a downloaded transaction 
to an entry you made manually.  That is my experience with matching 
deposits and downloads (in M03 -- I'll guess debits work the same, but I 
haven't paid close attention recently).  You simply click Accept and the 
manual transaction gets marked appropriately, and the split amounts and 
details do not change.

I'd advise to not reply solely on downloads, especially for new users, 
do manual entries and use the match feature.


Dick Watson wrote:

> For instance, 8 or 9 out of 10 transactions at the grocery store that would
> download as nothing more than Groceries I split into two or typically three
> elements: Food:Groceries, Miscellaneous:Supplies, and Transfer:(pocket
> change [me and/or my wife]). Occasionally you can add things to that like
> Leisure:Books and Magazines or Housing:Gardening or...
> 
> If I just download, all of that gets lost--the Transfers being a very
> significant thing to lose. If I manually enter then match it, what have I
> bought myself but I've spent the time and hassle screwing around with the
> download. If I don't do anything until I get the downloaded transaction and
> then I go to add the extra data, I've forgotten what it was or have to go
> dig the receipt back out or whatever. Since the majority (I'm guessing, but
> not without some basis in thought) of my transactions have a) splits, and/or
> b) memos (and not some stupid merchant number or something), and/or c)
> classification, none of which downloads, I don't see the benefit. When
> downloaded data reflects what I spent the Money on (Miscellaneous:Supplies
> at the Food:Groceries store) and why (Automobile:Gasoline for the
> Automobile:SLK), not just what kind of place it was where I spent it, then
> I'll consider reconsidering.
> 
> I recognize my case doesn't and needn't match yours or anyone else's. But I
> still believe that new users shouldn't do the downloaded data thing until
> they could do with out it and many users have more trouble with downloaded
> data than they'd have without it if they only worked for a while at getting
> good at doing without it.
> 

0
Retired
9/22/2004 4:18:40 PM
I know I can get it to match and not trash what I've entered. (With the
proviso that many people even seem to have trouble with that step.)

But what's the value? I've already typed it all in. The net gain is that it
sets the C or E or R flag? Who cares? That can't be a good time tradeoff vs.
the amount of time it takes to setup and maintain the connection, watch the
download, and do the matching--of everything I already typed in.

"Retired Coal Miner" <...@...> wrote in message
news:0OednYKZ3fB8OMzcRVn-iQ@comcast.com...
> You don't lose the split details when you match a downloaded transaction
> to an entry you made manually.  That is my experience with matching
> deposits and downloads (in M03 -- I'll guess debits work the same, but I
> haven't paid close attention recently).  You simply click Accept and the
> manual transaction gets marked appropriately, and the split amounts and
> details do not change.


0
9/22/2004 4:40:21 PM
One thing you gain is you don't have to wait up to 30 days for a paper 
statement from your bank/cc co./FI.  You see what was transacted against 
your account when the transactions post to the account.  Additionally, 
for credit cards, if you see transactions that you did not make you 
become very suspicious, and you don't wait 30 days for that to happen 
(ref: the current stories about identity thefts).

It also forces one to consistently enter and watch transactions closely. 
For example, if you see a transaction for which there is no manually 
entered match, that means either you forgot to enter it, or it was a 
mistake, or someone in your household entered it and forgot to tell you 
about it.

In my case there's an additional factor, peace of mind in knowing that 
my records are current and match the banks, without waiting for the end 
of the statement cycle to catch up.

Dick Watson wrote:

> I know I can get it to match and not trash what I've entered. (With the
> proviso that many people even seem to have trouble with that step.)
> 
> But what's the value? I've already typed it all in. The net gain is that it
> sets the C or E or R flag? Who cares? That can't be a good time tradeoff vs.
> the amount of time it takes to setup and maintain the connection, watch the
> download, and do the matching--of everything I already typed in.

0
Retired
9/22/2004 9:56:43 PM
I generally agree with your motives and rationale. I just accomplish the
same objectives without getting Money and my Money file involved.

I meet the first and part of the second by going directly to the credit
union/Discover/Mileage+ Visa sites about three times a month and scanning
the transactions--once to epay the bill, once in mid cycle more or less, and
once when the billing cycle has ended, to get a balance due to enter in the
register and flag to remind myself to go back to the beginning and do the
epay. Sometimes I look at other times for other reasons, but not frequently.

I meet the balance of the second objective and the third objective by
balancing to the paper statements. It is a rare month when one of these
opportunities doesn't catch something like a missed transaction--e.g., wife
hasn't dropped the ticket in my pile yet--or one with a typo in the amount.
But I'm so close so often that I don't gain much peace of mind knowing it to
be the case rather than just suspecting it.

"Retired Coal Miner" <...@...> wrote in message
news:k-2dnZ94r4WDaMzcRVn-rA@comcast.com...
> One thing you gain is you don't have to wait up to 30 days for a paper
> statement from your bank/cc co./FI.  You see what was transacted against
> your account when the transactions post to the account.  Additionally,
> for credit cards, if you see transactions that you did not make you
> become very suspicious, and you don't wait 30 days for that to happen
> (ref: the current stories about identity thefts).
>
> It also forces one to consistently enter and watch transactions closely.
> For example, if you see a transaction for which there is no manually
> entered match, that means either you forgot to enter it, or it was a
> mistake, or someone in your household entered it and forgot to tell you
> about it.
>
> In my case there's an additional factor, peace of mind in knowing that
> my records are current and match the banks, without waiting for the end
> of the statement cycle to catch up.


0
9/22/2004 10:58:19 PM
I agree that under Money 04 I had extreme difficulties with Fidelity 
Netbenefits (401K/403B) accounts, but under Money 05 they have worked 
flawlessly (so far) and even the one account that previously did not 
work now works. I enter the manounts manually (bill pay) and then find 
that the Money download offers to match/correct the differences in price 
or shares.

Retired Coal Miner wrote:

> Fidelity's downloads for Money are definitely quirky. There is a history 
> on this newsgroup of people having unusual problems when using downloads 
> with Fidelity.
> 
> 

0
art4580 (318)
9/23/2004 12:20:09 AM
Yes, it included all of these things.  I am using 2004 
and I'm wondering if this is a 2004+ issue.  Anyway,  I'm 
pretty much dead in the water and not happy about it.

What really ticks me off is that MS knows about this 
problem going back at least two versions.  I think it is 
really unreasonable to ask people to have to go through 
all the steps and STILL have it in a broken state.  Since 
the cornerstone of Money is linkage with financial 
institutions you would think fixing this would be 
priority 1, but the problem is still there.


>-----Original Message-----
>In microsoft.public.money, K wrote:
>
>>
>>
>>1. I download statements from Fidelity.  Money 
>>should "Read Transactions".  But when I click on the 
link 
>>to reconcile, it doesn't display anything.  In effect, 
>>Money is unusable to me at this point because nothing 
is 
>>being updated.
>>
>>2. I tried ALL the means to resolve this problem (there 
>>are about 5 different things you can do) and NONE of 
them 
>>work.
>
>Would those 5 things include these?
>
>Close Money
>
>In Internet Explorer delete your browser temporary files 
with
>Tools->InternetOptions->DeleteFiles. 
>
>Then open Money with Start->Run and entering
>"msmoney -s" without the quotes into the box.
>
>Probably they were the first two, but I thought I would 
check.
>
>.
>
0
anonymous (74722)
9/23/2004 5:02:21 AM
Thanks for providing that link, it's got some good info.  
In my case, it's a little different.  As I have stated 
before, I've used Money for quite some time.  I have 
never considered the Fidelity Investments downloads to 
be "quirky" though.  I understand, that Money can not 
custom-tailor their app to be 100% compatible with each 
provider.  However, it isn't that the downloads 
are "quirky", they DO get downloaded, I just can't read 
my transactions and obviously I can't reconcile them 
either.  This seems to be a new development that has 
started happening over the past 2 months or so. 

It is frustrating beyond words, that I see Transactions 
To Read: 50 and I can't get to them.  I am not here to 
bash microsoft, but something has gone wrong in their 
QA/Marketing cycle to allow this known error to be 
propagated from version to version going all the way back 
to 2001!

See this link:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
kbid=829143&Product=mny

It is a shame that MS has allowed this to happen.  I 
think Money is a great program.  But it my information is 
not up-to-date or if it is getting corrupted; what's the 
point? 

K


>-----Original Message-----
>Fidelity's downloads for Money are definitely quirky. 
There is a history 
>on this newsgroup of people having unusual problems when 
using downloads 
>with Fidelity.
>
>What you describe sounds similar to an issue from a 
while ago. Take a 
>look at messages in the url below and try the 
suggestions mentioned near 
>the bottom of that thread (be prepared to try a few 
different things and 
>spend some time on this):
>
>http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-
8&frame=right&th=29e08b5e8bee19f7
>
>I still like the ability to download transactions, even 
with Fidelity's 
>quirks. So, my opinion differs from Dick Watson's advice 
about 
>downloading transactions; when downloads work correctly, 
they are 
>enormously convenient and very helpful.  But to the 
uninitiated, they 
>take some getting used to, primarily because things are 
not intuitive at 
>first.  My suggestion is to manually enter all 
transactions possible, 
>and continue to download, and use the match feature to 
match what your 
>bank downloaded to what you entered.  In my opinion this 
is the best 
>tradeoff of both worlds, and eliminates sole reliance on 
your bank's 
>data and systems working correctly.
>
>You can't manually enter all the your Fidelity 
transactions ahead of 
>time, with monthly sweep interest for example, the 
downloads will show 
>up before you get the paper statement. One more thing, 
Fidelity's 
>transactions do not follow exactly the model Money 
expects for cash and 
>investment account transactions, and some manual moving 
of things at the 
>end of the month is always required. Search on here for 
Fidelity and 
>sweep account for more background info.
>
>.
>
0
anonymous (74722)
9/23/2004 5:16:25 AM
Art,
That's great that 2005 is working for you and perhaps you 
will never experience the problems I have experienced.  
But guess what?  It is still a problem with 2005!  I 
tried 2005 thinking(rather, hoping) that it was going to 
be fixed and the exact problem is STILL there.  I have a 
total of 8 Fidelity accounts, I do a lot of trading too. 
Add to that a couple of brokerage accounts that have a 
lot of transactions too and it goes to show that I rely 
very heavily on being able to download these transactions 
(to reconcile, categories etc) on a daily basis.  But I 
can't even get to the transactions even though money has 
downloaded them.

This is a known problem, and MS has a KB article for it, 
along with the steps to correct the problem (which it 
doesn't).  Here is the link:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
kbid=829143&Product=mny

Thanks for your comments Art!  I hope you continue to 
enjoy using Money;  I wish I could say the same.



>-----Original Message-----
>I agree that under Money 04 I had extreme difficulties 
with Fidelity 
>Netbenefits (401K/403B) accounts, but under Money 05 
they have worked 
>flawlessly (so far) and even the one account that 
previously did not 
>work now works. I enter the manounts manually (bill pay) 
and then find 
>that the Money download offers to match/correct the 
differences in price 
>or shares.
>
>Retired Coal Miner wrote:
>
>> Fidelity's downloads for Money are definitely quirky. 
There is a history 
>> on this newsgroup of people having unusual problems 
when using downloads 
>> with Fidelity.
>> 
>> 
>
>.
>
0
anonymous (74722)
9/23/2004 5:22:36 AM
In microsoft.public.money, K wrote:

>Yes, it included all of these things.  I am using 2004 
>and I'm wondering if this is a 2004+ issue.  Anyway,  I'm 
>pretty much dead in the water and not happy about it.

What I would consider is to make a copy of the file in case you
don't like the results. Work with one of the copies.

Delete the statement by right-clicking where the Account List says
you have transactions to read.

Disable that Fidelity account for online update.

Set up the account for online update again. Hope that the new
statements work right.

If they don't, again disable that Fidelity account for online
update. Rename the account to Fidelity Problem Account or some such.

Print your registers so you can compare later. You can install
pdf995.com or cutepdf.com free PDF writing software to print to a
PDF file if you like.  Sort Cash Transactions  by date  and Print
the register with landscape orientation. Do the same for the
Investment transactions. These could be useful later for comparison
to see if things are right.


Create a new Fidelity investment account.

In the bad account, I would look thru the Cash Transactions for any
Transfer to/from a different account (other than the Fidelity
Investment Transactions account).  Right click each and
CutAndPasteToAccount to move those transactions to the new account.
That way those transactions would not have to be involved in the QIF
export/import.

Do a QIF export from  the Cash Transactions   of the bad account.
Name the file "FidelityCash.qif". Do a QIF export from  the
Investment Transactions  of the bad account. Name the file
"_FidelityInvest.qif". Note that leading underscore. That is to make
that file come first alphabetically. 

Delete the bad account.

File->Import the two QIF files into the new Fidelity account. It is
important to use Ctrl+<click> to select BOTH files for simultanious
import.

Look thru registers and adjust if necessary. 

Set up Fidelity for online download.



0
via_newsgroup (13114)
9/23/2004 2:25:42 PM
Fidelity is probably the only account that is working for me in Money 
2005.  I have all of the other Yodlee run accounts currently on incident 
reports to Microsoft.  I consider that Yodlee is a hit and miss effort 
and expect that soon I will give up on any accounts that use Yodlee.

Fidelity on the other hand is two way connection without Yodlee so when 
you do an update, you can hold <ctl><shft> and actually get a copy of 
the file that is being sent so it can be reviewed to determine if it is 
a Fidelity problem or a Money problem.  I have pointed out errors to 
Fidelity and several banks and credit cards by capturing the file.  I 
agree that it should not be an issue that a normal user would or should 
have to do.  If you have read the Bank of America stream here, you can 
see how several people helped out to resolve the issue.

Best wishes on you getting a solution to your problem.  I would suggest 
you submit it to Microsoft for analysis.


K wrote:
> Art,
> That's great that 2005 is working for you and perhaps you 
> will never experience the problems I have experienced.  
> But guess what?  It is still a problem with 2005!  I 
> tried 2005 thinking(rather, hoping) that it was going to 
> be fixed and the exact problem is STILL there.  I have a 
> total of 8 Fidelity accounts, I do a lot of trading too. 
> Add to that a couple of brokerage accounts that have a 
> lot of transactions too and it goes to show that I rely 
> very heavily on being able to download these transactions 
> (to reconcile, categories etc) on a daily basis.  But I 
> can't even get to the transactions even though money has 
> downloaded them.
> 
> This is a known problem, and MS has a KB article for it, 
> along with the steps to correct the problem (which it 
> doesn't).  Here is the link:
> 
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
> kbid=829143&Product=mny
> 
> Thanks for your comments Art!  I hope you continue to 
> enjoy using Money;  I wish I could say the same.
> 
> 
> 
> 
>>-----Original Message-----
>>I agree that under Money 04 I had extreme difficulties 
> 
> with Fidelity 
> 
>>Netbenefits (401K/403B) accounts, but under Money 05 
> 
> they have worked 
> 
>>flawlessly (so far) and even the one account that 
> 
> previously did not 
> 
>>work now works. I enter the manounts manually (bill pay) 
> 
> and then find 
> 
>>that the Money download offers to match/correct the 
> 
> differences in price 
> 
>>or shares.
>>
>>Retired Coal Miner wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Fidelity's downloads for Money are definitely quirky. 
> 
> There is a history 
> 
>>>on this newsgroup of people having unusual problems 
> 
> when using downloads 
> 
>>>with Fidelity.
>>>
>>>
>>
>>.
>>

0
art4580 (318)
9/24/2004 12:19:24 AM
I have experienced your problem with Fidelity 3 times in as many months. In 
talking to a Fidelity internet service rep. I found this to be a recurring 
problem mostly with Quicken users and not so often with MS Money users. 
However it did happen with my file.
The solution that the Fidelity rep gave me was to disable online service 
with Fidelity, close Money then reopen Money and set up online service with 
Fidelity. Each of the 3 times that happened to me during the past 3 months, 
I followed his fix and it Worked! Of course it would be better if it cured 
the problem instead of just temporarily fixing it.
So maybe you should try it. Nothing to loose.
John


"K" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:07c101c4a12c$78c5fa10$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> Thanks for providing that link, it's got some good info.
> In my case, it's a little different.  As I have stated
> before, I've used Money for quite some time.  I have
> never considered the Fidelity Investments downloads to
> be "quirky" though.  I understand, that Money can not
> custom-tailor their app to be 100% compatible with each
> provider.  However, it isn't that the downloads
> are "quirky", they DO get downloaded, I just can't read
> my transactions and obviously I can't reconcile them
> either.  This seems to be a new development that has
> started happening over the past 2 months or so.
>
> It is frustrating beyond words, that I see Transactions
> To Read: 50 and I can't get to them.  I am not here to
> bash microsoft, but something has gone wrong in their
> QA/Marketing cycle to allow this known error to be
> propagated from version to version going all the way back
> to 2001!
>
> See this link:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?
> kbid=829143&Product=mny
>
> It is a shame that MS has allowed this to happen.  I
> think Money is a great program.  But it my information is
> not up-to-date or if it is getting corrupted; what's the
> point?
>
> K
>
>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>Fidelity's downloads for Money are definitely quirky.
> There is a history
>>on this newsgroup of people having unusual problems when
> using downloads
>>with Fidelity.
>>
>>What you describe sounds similar to an issue from a
> while ago. Take a
>>look at messages in the url below and try the
> suggestions mentioned near
>>the bottom of that thread (be prepared to try a few
> different things and
>>spend some time on this):
>>
>>http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-
> 8&frame=right&th=29e08b5e8bee19f7
>>
>>I still like the ability to download transactions, even
> with Fidelity's
>>quirks. So, my opinion differs from Dick Watson's advice
> about
>>downloading transactions; when downloads work correctly,
> they are
>>enormously convenient and very helpful.  But to the
> uninitiated, they
>>take some getting used to, primarily because things are
> not intuitive at
>>first.  My suggestion is to manually enter all
> transactions possible,
>>and continue to download, and use the match feature to
> match what your
>>bank downloaded to what you entered.  In my opinion this
> is the best
>>tradeoff of both worlds, and eliminates sole reliance on
> your bank's
>>data and systems working correctly.
>>
>>You can't manually enter all the your Fidelity
> transactions ahead of
>>time, with monthly sweep interest for example, the
> downloads will show
>>up before you get the paper statement. One more thing,
> Fidelity's
>>transactions do not follow exactly the model Money
> expects for cash and
>>investment account transactions, and some manual moving
> of things at the
>>end of the month is always required. Search on here for
> Fidelity and
>>sweep account for more background info.
>>
>>.
>> 


0
je_norris (2)
9/24/2004 12:22:31 AM
In microsoft.public.money, Art McClinton wrote:

>
>Fidelity on the other hand is two way connection without Yodlee so when 
>you do an update, you can hold <ctl><shft> and actually get a copy of 
>the file that is being sent so it can be reviewed to determine if it is 
>a Fidelity problem or a Money problem. 

Actually for Money 2005, that does not work. There is a way to get
the files if the need comes up.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
9/24/2004 12:23:31 AM
Hi Dick,

Using M04, I do a "download and match manually entered transactions"... it's 
a win for me because of the sheer number of transactions in my checking 
account... going to a web site and trying to reconcile would be a pain.  I 
usually have no problems matching... every once in a while, an incorrect 
match will occur which I then separate and match correctly.  Now, when the 
paper statement comes due, just entering the totals will perform a 
reconciliation since the transactions have been previously downloaded.   If 
there is a discrepency, it will show up.  In my experience, as long as one 
puts in the correct statement date, it gets it right.

-- John

"Dick Watson" <littlegreengecko@mind-enufalready-spring.com> wrote in 
message news:OTO9nePoEHA.3676@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>I generally agree with your motives and rationale. I just accomplish the
> same objectives without getting Money and my Money file involved.
>
> I meet the first and part of the second by going directly to the credit
> union/Discover/Mileage+ Visa sites about three times a month and scanning
> the transactions--once to epay the bill, once in mid cycle more or less, 
> and
> once when the billing cycle has ended, to get a balance due to enter in 
> the
> register and flag to remind myself to go back to the beginning and do the
> epay. Sometimes I look at other times for other reasons, but not 
> frequently.
>
> I meet the balance of the second objective and the third objective by
> balancing to the paper statements. It is a rare month when one of these
> opportunities doesn't catch something like a missed transaction--e.g., 
> wife
> hasn't dropped the ticket in my pile yet--or one with a typo in the 
> amount.
> But I'm so close so often that I don't gain much peace of mind knowing it 
> to
> be the case rather than just suspecting it.
>
> "Retired Coal Miner" <...@...> wrote in message
> news:k-2dnZ94r4WDaMzcRVn-rA@comcast.com...
>> One thing you gain is you don't have to wait up to 30 days for a paper
>> statement from your bank/cc co./FI.  You see what was transacted against
>> your account when the transactions post to the account.  Additionally,
>> for credit cards, if you see transactions that you did not make you
>> become very suspicious, and you don't wait 30 days for that to happen
>> (ref: the current stories about identity thefts).
>>
>> It also forces one to consistently enter and watch transactions closely.
>> For example, if you see a transaction for which there is no manually
>> entered match, that means either you forgot to enter it, or it was a
>> mistake, or someone in your household entered it and forgot to tell you
>> about it.
>>
>> In my case there's an additional factor, peace of mind in knowing that
>> my records are current and match the banks, without waiting for the end
>> of the statement cycle to catch up.
>
> 


0
John1270 (149)
9/26/2004 1:17:54 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Exchange 2000
Hi all I've recently renamed a user. Now I found that everytime I type that user name in the outlook, it shows me the name like this NewUserName <OldUserName>. I've checked all in the AD, but not found anythings related to the old user. How to correct it? Please help. Thanks BT Just a few points ... 1 - you can delete the names from the autocomplete by highlighting them (use the keyboards arrow keys) and hitting the DEL key. 2 - the <OldUserName> is displayed because that is the user's LegacyDN value. This value can be changed by using adsiedit however if...

Money 2005 download not completing.
I just purchased Money2005 and downloaded from Microsoft. When trying to start the program the budget and reports sections will not finish downloading from the web. Anyone else have this problem? I am having the exact same problem. Think it may have something to do with Passport authentication. Notice I'm always in 'Offline' mode (File_Work Offline). "citeaux63" wrote: > I just purchased Money2005 and downloaded from Microsoft. When trying to > start the program the budget and reports sections will not finish downloading > from the web. Anyone else hav...

Update
After the online update, Interactive Brokers (IB) Greenwich, CT, have disappeared completely! Before their address and logo was displayed at least. Is this a progress??? WB Amendment: I have found them on this page listed: http://www.microsoft.com/money/bankonline.aspx?FirstLetter=I&FinananceOrganisationType=BrokeragesOnly#13 But in the Money program they are NOT LISTED!!! "WB" <wolfgbaudisch@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:%23YHarQEzHHA.1484@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > After the online update, Interactive Brokers (IB) Greenwich, CT, have > disapp...

Unable to delete duplicate accounts in Money 2006
I have been using MS Money now for several years and am currently using Money 2006 Premium. I have been using the same data file for many years. Years ago I had an account with Washington Mutual Bank, which I subsequently closed, opting for Wells Fargo. I recently opened a "new" account with Washington Mutual and re created accounts for WaMu in Money 2006. I thought that this would be the end ot if. However I found that now, I have three sets of accounts listed in Money. Two sets of duplicates (Washington Mutual (checking and savings) and Washington Mutual (checking and saving...

How do I change Credit Limit for MS Money 2006 Standard Edition?
I found this annoying as well. And since I use Google Groups to answer a lot of my questions, I thought I would help by posting a solution that I had for others. I couldn't for the life of me change the Credit Limit or credit card interest rate for a newly added credit card from a bank that WAS in MS Money's list of banks in the "Select a Bank or Brokerage" screen. So, I deleted that new account I created and then: 1. Went to Account List 2. Added a New Account 3. Chose "Other" 4. Chose Credit Card 5. Proceeded through the wizard. Also, since I got my CC from a...

UK Money 2005 Portfolio Valuation View is blank
I tried to customise the Porfolio Valuation view, which seems to have corrupted itself. It no longer displays any lines and just correctly displays the total in the blue area of the screen. On clicking Change Portfolio view | customise current view | Portfolio Culumns Tab shows that the Display column box is empty. Clicking on the reset to default button re-populates the box and saving does not rectify the problem. As no stocks are display going through the Change Portfolio view | customise current view | Portfolio Culumns Tab shows that the Display column box is again empty. How do I rectify...

money for nothing that works
What is $5 and 15 minutes when it can make you earn $100,000 ? Not much, if you ask me... You've probably seen a lot of those kind of messages over forums and newsgroups, and the explanation for this can be given in two words: IT WORKS! But how on earth, will you ask me, does it actually works? How is such a thing possible? This is a simple pyramid scheme. To explain it to you with realistic numbers, lets take a simple example: Imagine you folow the instructions given below, and post your message to 500 newsgroups (wich isn't much). 10 people read your message and also folow the ins...

Money Transfers between accounts
Hello Download the bank information. In the bank info I have some accounts that is money that I transfer to another account. When I make the download for both accounts separately, I also get in one the debit and in the other the credit. How do you accept the transaction? What kind of Category or Classification? In the account register the transaction is registered as a withdrawal. How can I fix this? Is this normal? When I accept the debit or the credit should Money 2004 automatically accept the transfer? Thanks DJ In microsoft.public.money, dj wrote: >Hello Download the ban...

Money 2006 for pocket pc #2
When do you plan to support VGA devices? I realize that the Windows Moble platform will auto rescale your plugin, on a vga devices. But there are a number of users that would like to use your plugin within another control or plugin. Such as WisBar's Active Desktop or SBSH's PocketBreeze. Both of these application are vga aware and capable of hosting other today screen plugins, but niether of them will auto scale a plugin that does not support vga. You'd be better asking Microsoft directly. This is a peer-to-peer support forum and Microsoft don't always read thing...

Money 2004 Deluxe does not work with windos vista business (32-bit)
I have money 2004 Deluxe (standalone version) and bookkeeping all my financial stuff there for a four years. I just upgrade to wondows vista business 2004(32-bit) and install the money 2004 deluxe. The installation is smooth. But it report some problems and vista close it once I click the icon. Is there any workaround or have I upgrade to a new version. The function in 2004 is pretty much enough for me and I feel that I do not need any new function in newer version. :( BTW: I also try to set it into the compatible mode as winXP and it does not work either. On Mar 27, 1:50 pm, "G...

Installing Money 2004
Last night I installed Money 2004, and I'm having problems. Everytime I try to do something on Money 2004 it stops responding so I have to shut Money 2004 down. Please tell me what I did wrong? Thank you Jose Maybe you didn't do anything wrong--but maybe shutting Money down is not such a good idea. Are we talking "stops responding" for tens of minutes or longer at a time? Does it work with the sample file? What kind of CPU (type and clock speed) are you running it on? See FAQ http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/#Q19. "Jose" <joserotgerv@attbi.com> wrote in ...

Money 2004 will not match transaction with my bank
I am using Money 2004 buiness edition. I received payment for three of my invoices and that payment was added to the correct bank register. Then money downloaded the matching transaction from my bank. No matter what I do it will not match the two up (same date, same amount). 1.. Automatic: It adds it as a new cleared transaction so it shows a double depost 2. Manual: I click on the 'unaccepted' bank transaction and try to match it to an existing transaction. When MS money gives me the list of transactions to match it to the 'manually' entered one is not in the list. I even t...

Forms completion
Here is a question for you, we have a pretty simple database to gather comments and suggestions from users for improvement on things around our office, It is a form entry, a suggestion that was given is when users want to enter multiple suggestions they are having to re-enter the header section of the form (Basics of name and contact information) repeatedly, is there a code or work around where that will replicate for the user if they click the add new record after they enter the first entry? Are you storing this information in every row of the table? The way it should work is, when the...

A step backwards? Bank no longer supports MS Money?!
I'm using Microsoft Money 2006 for a while, and all of my checking/savings accounts from my primary bank have updated automatically. However, the bank recently updated it's online banking system, and at the same time broken the compatibility with Money. I spoke with customer support and they said that statements must now be downloaded and manually imported into Money! I was just beginning to truly get the hang of Money and a lot of its features, and now my bank goes and disables the compatibility! I have tried to switch to Quicken, but that doesn't work either. I'm sure I can ...

MS Money 2004 Lockups
I have just upgraded from Money 2003 to Money 2004 and wish that I haden't. It seems that whenever I use any of the HTTP/Web portions of Money 2004, my application locks up. I have watched the application in Task Manager and it is still running, I just can do anything in it. There is nothing that I can click or access to bring it back to life. Each time that this has happened, I have to end the application and then restart. Also, I have gladly sent error reports to Microsoft so that someday an answer can be provided. In the mean time, does anyone have any suggestions short of uni...

Microsoft Money 2007 SP1 -- I reverted back to the original (before SP1)
When I opened MS Money Premium 2007 today I was informed that the update was available and so I let it get installed. Then when I opened the program again after the install, some of the calculations were all messed up and so I did a System Restore and went back to using the original installed version of MS Money Premium 2007. Here is a description of what was my problem.... Anyone else having this problem -- or am I doing something wrong? I opened my checkbook account and entered a transaction for a car loan payment. I entered the normal payee name and it was auto entered as usual, th...

I downloaded Office 2007 trial and it did not completely install
I spent 20 hours downloading office 2007 trial and after it finished downloading, there was nothing. It didn't go to a window to allow me to type in the product number, meanwhile the second step folder is on my desktop which did open but didn't do anything. I have windows xp professional with service pack 2, I did have office 2003, but due to a corruption, office 2003 failed to operate, so I unistalled it. How do I install office 2007 or do I have to download this file all over again. "mzgothik" <mzgothik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news...

How to view a complete schema when using schema includes/imports?
I've got a parent schema file that references complex element types that are defined in several "child" schema files and I used the schema imports statement to include them into the parent schema's default namespace. I would like to generate a complete/single-file instance of the schema to simplify things but I can't figure out how to do it. Each schema seems to live in it's respective memory space inside the SchemaIncludesCollection. Any idea how I could traverse all of the "virtual" nodes in the parent schema to create a physical representation of what t...

Money Central
Does anyone know when Money Central is going to be back online? It has been down for over 2 days now Thanks Tom I think it is part of this: http://moneycentral.msn.com/common/networkstatus.asp Frank "Thomas Grassi" <thomasgrassi@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OFMzz92iGHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Does anyone know when Money Central is going to be back online? It has > been down for over 2 days now > > > Thanks > > Tom > ...

This Affects Money 2003 Too
Just an FYI, I'm having this login problem with Money 2003 also, so Cal please let them know this. I just called MS support. Person said, we are starting to get calls about this. Great. >-----Original Message----- >Just an FYI, I'm having this login problem with Money >2003 also, so Cal please let them know this. >. > ...

Importing Money files
I just purchased MS Money 2004 and wanted to import my existing files on MS Money 3.0. Having trouble doing this. Have any suggestions? One suggestion: you throw us some bones as to what you've tried and why it isn't working (error messages, etc.) We try to help where we can, but this isn't news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.money.psychic_troubleshooting. "Steve M" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:03ac01c3bced$0739ded0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I just purchased MS Money 2004 and wanted to import my > existing files on MS ...

MS Money 2004 at Sam's Club?
Has anyone seen MS Money 2004 at Sam's Club? I'm in the Dallas area. Thanks, Patrick I saw M2004 Deluxe for $32 something at local (central Ohio) Sam's. Mo mention of any rebates in the store or on the box or Sam's web site.. -- Aloke --- to reply by e-mail remove 123 and change invalid to com "P. H. Fanelli" <pfanelli@advantexmail.net> wrote in message news:vi4raertkt6q31@corp.supernews.com... > Has anyone seen MS Money 2004 at Sam's Club? I'm in the Dallas area. > > Thanks, > Patrick > > I guess I'll have to find a ne...

Money 04 Password Problems
Have been using an older version of money for four years and recently upgraded to the 2004 version. I restored my files and my accounts look good. I attempted to go online with the bank and got errors indicating I had used an incorrect PIN. I contacted the bank and got a new PIN number,(took a week). I tried the new PIN today and got a message back in money saying I used the wrong PIN. I contacted the bank and they looked at the transaction and said that I used the right PIN and asked me to change it. They transfered my to Microsoft support and the lady I got could not understan...

Unable to set up on-line account
Missage I get when I try to connect to an on-line bank. I checked my internet connection and it's working. I'm able to open IE browser within Money 2005. Please help. --------------------------- Microsoft Money --------------------------- Money cannot complete a required online call at this time. Please check your Internet connection settings and try again. --------------------------- OK Another reference to M05, what's going on? Bal wrote: > Missage I get when I try to connect to an on-line bank. > I checked my internet connection and it's working. I'...

Problems with Money updates #2
The problem with Money updates is very likely a bug in the code itself that MS is uploading to us, which is affecting many different versions of Money. In my case, my copy of Money continues to work perfectly in all respects, including "Background Banking", "Synchronizing with MSN Money", "Two way online services", "MSN Bill from within Money", and on and on. That's why I'm pretty sure that this is a bug in the code MS is uploading to so many of us. Since only MS has access to the code base, it seems to me that they will have to debug the code...