Huge *.mny file

Greetings again
It happens that after several girations of money (99
onwards) I was left with a huge *.mny file. That is OK
since it carries my history around. However, it is taking
too long to load, so I wanted to archive old items. That
ended up with a corrupted .mny file and a useless
archive. What is that I am doing wrong?

--ARosenthal
MCS Dallas
0
anonymous (74722)
6/23/2004 6:18:28 PM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

How huge is huge?

As to what you are doing wrong, I'd nominate worrying about the size of the
file and assuming a strong correlation between file size and performance.
See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=7.

"ARosenthal" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It happens that after several girations of money (99
> onwards) I was left with a huge *.mny file. That is OK
> since it carries my history around. However, it is taking
> too long to load, so I wanted to archive old items. That
> ended up with a corrupted .mny file and a useless
> archive. What is that I am doing wrong?

Since this is Jet4 db, the sizing yields a large
probability to corruption. I am using beta mny2005 and
thought it was MSDE by now, but saw no named instance
over there to indicate that ...

It is 20MB long ...

--A

0
anonymous (74722)
6/23/2004 6:34:55 PM
If you are using beta 2005, then you need to refer this to the appropriate
beta newsgroup.

--
Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money

or email mnyukwsh@microsoft.com especially if it's a UK specific wish.

> Since this is Jet4 db, the sizing yields a large
> probability to corruption. I am using beta mny2005 and
> thought it was MSDE by now, but saw no named instance
> over there to indicate that ...
>
> It is 20MB long ...
>
> --A

0
glyn1 (1534)
6/23/2004 7:13:18 PM
It's probably MSISAM, not Jet4--exactly what the difference is seem likely
to be semantic. 20MB is not huge. Mine's 50MB.

> Since this is Jet4 db, the sizing yields a large
> probability to corruption. I am using beta mny2005 and
> thought it was MSDE by now, but saw no named instance
> over there to indicate that ...
>
> It is 20MB long ...

there is an option in Money to do this. Go to Tools,
options and look.
0
anonymous (74722)
6/24/2004 4:52:47 PM
I ran into this exact problem and I may not have a clear answer for you, but
maybe some things to consider.  I have been using money since the 95
version, upgrading every year, and I use it to its full extent.  Around 1999
I went to open the file one day and it was suddenly corrupt for no apparent
reason!  After hours of narrowing down the issue, I determined that there
was a point where it would work fine but if I added one more record (in any
account) it would corrupt the file.  I am a VB/ASP/ASPX/.NET/SQL2000
programmer and after discussing this with the forum at the time, concluded
that there was only so much data the file could handle.  I started archiving
a year every January.  When 2003 came out, I thought innovations in the
technology would have overcome this issue, but when I let my annual archive
go undone, I received a corruption error in late February.  I was ready with
backups, brought the file back, archived and continued and I am still having
no issues.  I am currently running 2003.

So, I don't know what to make of this.  I can tell you that I absolutely
LOVE the program and find it intuitive and easy to use (moreso than its
competition), but over the past 7 years I have found critical flaws with the
program that are absolute pains to deal with and one that I am dealing with
right now that does not seem to even have a work-around.  IMO:  MSM is not
as well-developed as it should be for the number of years in production.
Don't get me wrong... I love MS, but the fact is that (at least in this
case), they seem to release on marketing and cosmetics and not on true
feature and performance improvements.  My opinion of course.

My suggestion:  there is a utility you can find in the KB that will attempt
to repair the file.  I've never had any luck with it, but maybe it will work
for you.  If that doesn't work, get the best backup you can, archive a year
off the front, bring the file up to date and create a task for yourself to
archive a year off once a year.

Best of luck to you!  :)

Schoo

> It happens that after several girations of money (99
> onwards) I was left with a huge *.mny file. That is OK
> since it carries my history around. However, it is taking
> too long to load, so I wanted to archive old items. That
> ended up with a corrupted .mny file and a useless
> archive. What is that I am doing wrong?
>
> --ARosenthal
> MCS Dallas

"ARosenthal" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Greetings again
> It happens that after several girations of money (99
> onwards) I was left with a huge *.mny file. That is OK
> since it carries my history around. However, it is taking
> too long to load, so I wanted to archive old items. That
> ended up with a corrupted .mny file and a useless
> archive. What is that I am doing wrong?
>
> --ARosenthal
> MCS Dallas

Importing Text File #3
Did ya ever have one of those lucky accidents that you like and would like to replicate? I created a simple excel workbook based on imported text data. Later, when I reopended the file, I noticed that the "refresh" button was activated and would auto import when I clicked. The best part is that the import specs were retained. I have no idea how I did this and have not been able to replicate the functionality. Can someone help? Thanks Bean, It sounds as if you used Data - Get external data. It remembers all the paramaters you specify, and you have only to do a refresh, ...

Excel problem, File disappeared.
I created a file in Excel on a WinXP PC that I called pron.xls and saved it in the my documents folder, I then decided to move it and using Windows Commander F6 key (Rename and Move) I attempted to move it to a different folder and rename it to prn.xls at the same time. This process caused the file to disappear!! I now realise that this was because prn.xls is an invalid name. I tried to search for the original and new names but neither existed. There is no sign of it in the recycle bin either. Is there anyway of retreiving the lost data? Steve Barrowcliff As far as I'm aware no....

Repairinf file and Removing Bills
I have been experiencing some issues with my Money Plus Premium so I have been trybg to repair the file while deleteing the bills data. Every time I try i get the following error: There has been an error reading or writing the file... Has anyone else had this issue? In microsoft.public.money, NealT wrote: >I have been experiencing some issues with my Money Plus Premium so I have >been trybg to repair the file while deleteing the bills data. Every time I >try i get the following error: > >There has been an error reading or writing the file... I suggest you make a repaire...

assign cell content as file name
I am attempting to create a macro that will save a workbook with the file name under which I save the workbook coming from the contents of one of the cells in the workbook. Suppose that each time the workbook was altered, a specific cell (A1 on Sheet1 for instance) contained the desired file name for that workbook. It is my goal to create a macro that automatically assigns said workbook a name based on the content of that cell. Any help would be most appreciated. Something like??? dim myFileName as string myfilename = "C:\temp\" & thisworkbook.worksheets("sheet1"...

Opening File using default viewer
Hello, how would I go about opening a file using the default viewer, so for example, if the file is a txt file, then notepad would open it. Or if it is an XML file, then maybe firefox woulld open it. I was hoping to use a CButton and if the user clicks on it, then it would grab the path specified and open the file with the corresponding viewer. thanks. Jon wrote: > Hello, how would I go about opening a file using the default viewer, so > for example, if the file is a txt file, then notepad would open it. Or > if it is an XML file, then maybe firefox woulld open it. > > ...

PST files
Hello, I have been backing up my laptop Outlook info to PST files each month and I have about 7 of these PST files and erasing some content like email right after each backup so as to keep my main Outlook datafile small for better performance. However, I just learned to understand how AutoArchive works and realize the inconvenience in having so many different files that overlap in data but do have distinct emails and contacts. So I would now like to combine all of them into one big file but I wonder if there is an automated and preferred way to do this and so that this combination/conversion...

Alert user to check the filed when it is final
Hi, I want to create an alert to check the Final( checkbox ) field, if date_issued is enter. if date_issued is null then do nothing, In what even I have to code this and how? -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/201001/1 mls via AccessMonster.com wrote: >Hi, I want to create an alert to check the Final( checkbox ) field, if >date_issued is enter. >if date_issued is null then do nothing, In what even I have to code this and >how? Based on just that one requirement, you can use the date text b...

Setting directory for file save in macro
Hi Thanks to a generous poster I now have a great bit of code to use in a macro for Excel which saves a text file (I'm no VBA programmer so this was really helpful), i.e.: Open "Test.txt" For Output As #1 (rest of code) My problem now is this: The macro saves test.txt to Excel's current active folder, rather than the folder that the current workbook is contained in. For example, if I last saved an Excel workbook to c:\workbooks\, and the workbook that I have open exists in c:\workbooks\workbook1\, when I run the macro it saves the text file in c:\workbooks\. If I ...

How do I merge two publisher files?
I am using publisher 2003. I am creating an 80 page catalog. I like to save page 1-10 as file one, pages 11-20 as file two and so on. When I am finished with my catalog I need to send one file to the printer. How can I merge all of my pages together in one file? Copy and paste. Or if you have Acrobat (not just the free Reader) you can create a single .pdf file with the parts. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "screnda" <screnda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CF96E50B-CBC8-4A5A-A854-D7EE130CE9AD@microsoft.com... >I am using publisher 200...

Unable to load graphics file
I had a hard drive "repair" and re-loaded Publisher 2000. Now the program won't let me insert .jpgs (or any other graphics file) -- I get an error message saying it can't convert them. I've tried to re-install from the CD, including the graphics section, but to no avail. Any ideas? Maybe your graphic filters are corrupt Look in a folder similar to this C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Grphflt If you cannot insert any image rename the .flt files to something like jpegim32.old and drag a new instance from your CD. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.micr...

getting the error when updating file xls file.
Hi. We are using exchange 2003 server and office XP but know we start to Upgrade our office to office 2003 Know we are face problem. When our user try to make changes to file in public folder there can not make the changes it say “file is read only” but that user can make the changes or edit that same file from the P.C were office XP is installed. Do I have to install some patch if yes can you please send that patch because in trying from last two day and I can not find it. Note: If possible can you reply on parag.lopes@madinatjumeirah.com Just a guess... Are you s...

How do I convert a list to an Excel file?
I have a WORD file with 48 lines of comma delimited data in the form: xxx,xxxxxxx,xxxxxx,x,x,xxx,xxxxxxxxx xx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xx,x I would like to convert the WORD list to EXCEL. When I attempt to open the WORD file in EXCEL, I thought a conversion window would appear....what I actually get is "incorrect format" Hi! Save the WORD file as a plain text file. Then, when you open the file in Excel a Wizard will open and step you through it. Just select COMMA as the delimiter. Biff >-----Original Message----- >I have a WORD file with 48 lines of comma delimited data in ...

access 2000 to 2003 files
I have many databases created in Acces 2000 on a comp. w/98SE, which always worked fine. I copied these files to new comp. running XP home, and using MS office Prof. When I attempt to open these databases from Windows explorer, I get anerror saying the <path><filename> is unrecognized. Anyone know why? "Rick K" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:13b8301c3c28c$d939ce00$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I have many databases created in Acces 2000 on a comp. > w/98SE, which always worked fine. I copied these files to > new comp. running XP h...

XML extension cause file download loop
All, Suddenly. When I click on an XML file expecting it to open in IE, it begins the file download screen, then attempts to open IE. These 2 screens flash in an endless loop. What's up with that??? Any ideas are welcome! Thanks -- Mike Gasperino Sr. Software Developer office: 919-807-2310 Helpdesk: (919)807-2300 doa.helpdesk@ncmail.net **************************************************************************** E-mail correspondence to and from this address may be subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law "NCGS.Ch.132" and may be disclosed to third parties *****...

Importing data from other files
I�m new to Excel so I don�t know if this is really easy to do. I need to collect data from maybe 1000 different statistic excel files. They are all similar in structure and looks, but ofcourse they contain different numbers. Now I need to collect the data from a certain row and column from the group of files and make some calculation to present statistic data in a new Excel document. This brings to questions up to light: 1. How do I do to get the data into the new sheet if it's for example position G25 in every single source file? 2. Is it possible to "flag" a different posit...

How to export exchange global address book to WAB file?
I would like to export exchange address book to outlook express address book. How to export exchange global address book to WAB file? Mesak wrote: > I would like to export exchange address book to outlook express > address book. How to export exchange global address book to WAB file? I don't know about wab files, but see if http://www.slipstick.com/exs/portagal.htm helps at all. ...

corrupted PST file
Hi, I have Outlook 98, running on XP, on a PII 400Mghz Dell desktop. My PST file is about 1.95GB. It has been running extremely slow, and has had to be restarted a bunch of times in the past 2 weeks. Yesterday, it gave an error that the PST file was corrupted, and that PST file need to have the Inbox Repair Tool run on the file, and then the system restarted. I ran the Inbox Repair Tool on the PST, and it did not work. I am totally unable to use the file, which has all my critical contacts and emails. If someone could help out, I would be MOST grateful.... I pulling my friggin ...

Separate transactions being merged when importing QIF file
I downloaded a QIF file from my bank dating back to 01/01/2004. When I imported this file into Money 2005 the balance was way off compared to the bank's website. In comparing each tranaction I noticed some were missing in Money. Each group of missing transactions were all on the same day and for the same amount. Also, for each group one transaction would be in Money and the others missing (ex. There are 5 transactions according to the bank but only 1 shows in Money). I opened the QIF file in Notepad and can see the multiple transactions that were missing in Money. Based on this info...

Shared offline files
Does anyone have experience using shared workbooks in conjunction with the Win2000 Offline Files feature? We used to use the Win95/Office95 briefcase function successfully, but with the advent of Office 97 shared Excel files wouldn't merge. Spent time with MS tech support documenting the problem but was never fixed. Was hoping functionality had returned in Office/Windows 2000. Thanks in advance, Jeff ...

recently opened files in the Open section of the Task Pane
Hi, In Excel2003, how can I remove the list of recently opened files in the Open section of the Task Pane? -- Thanks, Jeffrey On Feb 28, 12:42 am, "Jeff Hopkins" <atomic58"NOSPAM"@sc.rr.com> wrote: > Hi, > > In Excel2003, how can I remove the list of recently opened files in the Open > section of the Task Pane? > This is a same list as Recently used files list under File menu. Go to Tools -> Options, and under General tab remove checkmark at Recently used file list. You must restat excel after this to change take effect. -- Regard...

open Outlook 2000 .ost file in outlook 2000
Does anyone know how to open a .ost file that was created and saved from a different account? Yes - see www.exchangerecovery.com paddy wrote: > Does anyone know how to open a .ost file that was created > and saved from a different account? ...

Money 2004 files to back to Money 2000 program
My computer in Florida has Money 2004. When returning to Wisconsin I tried using the Money 2004 files with my Money 2000 in Wisconsin but the program would not open because it asked for my "Password". I have never used a password before and don't have a password. I have been using Money programs for 5 years and this is the first time I have had any problems. Any ideas? JoeinWisconsin -- -------------------------------------------- Joseph R. Ferris (Joe) E-mail: jferris@tponet.com URL: www.jferris.com ---------------------------------------- In microsoft.public.money...

MSMoney 2006 file on network
Hi -- Is it possible to have the MSMoney file in a shared directory on a LAN, so that it can be accessed from two computers (each running a copy of MSM2006)? What precautions need to be taken, eg., can MSM2006 on both computers be running simultaneously, is there a file access lock (like with Word), or is there danger of corrupting the file contents? Any insight into the subject would be helpful. --Marcin PS. I know of the "share file" feature, but I don't want to use it, since it seems to require that the file be exported to MSN first. PPS. Please, reply to the NG only. ...

The specified image file did not contain a resource section
I've got 1812 (The specified image file did not contain a resource section) error using GetLastError(). My dialog won't show up. Why? How about a small hint as to what code you are using that is causing this error? "Miki Peric" <blah@ccc.com> wrote in message news:%23XFDXepXEHA.3668@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > > I've got 1812 (The specified image file did not contain a resource > section) error using GetLastError(). My dialog won't show up. Why? > > > How about a small hint as to what code you are using that is causing this > ...

Import Print Shop files into MS Publisher
Is there any way to import files created in Print Shop into MS Publisher? I need to convert all of my old(er) Print Shop files and am not sure how to accomplish that. Thanks in advance for any info and help. Sigrid What kind of files are you talking about...images? If so, then probably yes, just export (or save) them as standard graphic files. Are you talking about Broderbund's Print Shop? You need to explain exactly what you are trying to do, and what is/is-not happening when you try. -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP Expression Web ...