How to set up IRA Account in Money 2007

I am trying to set up my IRA in Money.  It is through a bank, so there are
not investment type transactions, just the bank's own listings of interest.
Do I set this up as an investment account or something different?

0
Rick9396 (383)
4/26/2007 10:36:00 AM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

For best treatment by things like Tax Estimator, I'd set it up as an
Investment (IRA) account. You may never have any Investments in the
Investment half of the account. It may just have interest earnings in the
Investment Cash Account. This essentially wastes the Investment Account, but
that's probably not a big deal.

"Rick" <Rick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to set up my IRA in Money.  It is through a bank, so there are
> not investment type transactions, just the bank's own listings of
> interest.
> Do I set this up as an investment account or something different?

I don't see a place under the Investment Account to call it an IRA, or am I
missing something.
I had originally set it up as an investment account, but it didn't accept
the original amount, and wants to look for a stock symbol for the earnings.

Thanks for your quick response!

"Dick Watson" wrote:

> For best treatment by things like Tax Estimator, I'd set it up as an
> Investment (IRA) account. You may never have any Investments in the
> Investment half of the account. It may just have interest earnings in the
> Investment Cash Account. This essentially wastes the Investment Account, but
> that's probably not a big deal.
>
> "Rick" <Rick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am trying to set up my IRA in Money.  It is through a bank, so there are
> > not investment type transactions, just the bank's own listings of
> > interest.
> > Do I set this up as an investment account or something different?

0
Rick9396 (383)
4/26/2007 1:12:02 PM
Can't say if you are missing something or what but let's try to figure out,
shall we?

Important clarifying disclaimer: I'm assuming you are using Money 2007
Deluxe/Premium, not Essentials (MEss for short). I'm also assuming you are
using Advanced Registers. You don't specify beyond Money 2007. Answering
these kinds of questions here used to be **a lot easier** before the
balkanization of Money features that began with M05.

Symbol is normally a property of an Investment. Investments are held in
Investment Accounts.

When you setup the Investment Account, IIRC (can't test from here), it asks
what type and IRA and derivatives is one of the choices. This gets reflected
in the Account Settings under flags like Tax Deferred and Retirement
Account. I don't believe that the IRA nature of the account is explicitly
reflected after setup outside of those two flags. But the setup dialog asks
the question to figure out how to set the flags. You might want to open the
Sample data file or create a test data file (File|New...skip aided setup)
and create a new investment account just to see how this plays out.

You say "it didn't accept the original amount, and wants to look for a stock
symbol for the earnings".

If by original amount you mean the starting balance--a value in the account
pre-dating what you are trying to track with Money--this might not surprise
me. But you should be able to either a) go into the Investment Cash Account
settings (again, can't test this here, sorry) and define the account
beginning balance, or b) add a transaction to the Investment Cash Account
register at the beginning--earliest date in the register--that just adds the
initial balance as an unassigned income transaction with an appropriate memo
clarifying what the transaction represents.

As to Money wanting a symbol for the earnings, are you in the Cash
Transactions register or the Investments register? (Menu on left; lists
Account Summary, Cash Transactions, Investment Transactions or something
very similar.) A transaction in the Investments register requires a symbol
or at least an investment name, A transaction in the cash register has no
place for a symbol/investment name (with the one exception of a Buy
Investments/CD transaction).

>I don't see a place under the Investment Account to call it an IRA, or am I
> missing something.
> I had originally set it up as an investment account, but it didn't accept
> the original amount, and wants to look for a stock symbol for the
> earnings.

I should have added: it may not be this simple.

Investment Cash Accounts SHOULD BE just like any other cash account with the
added property of being associated with an Investment Account.
Unfortunately, the Money UI doesn't make it so simple and there are lots of
limitations on the details/creation/deletion/setup/"Favorite Account"/etc.
capabilities of Investment Cash Accounts that really are completely
arbitrary and unnecessary from the point of view of the underlying database
but are wholly creations of the Money UI. It **shouldn't be that way** but,
sadly, it is. That's why I offered choice b) as well.

message news:u9HHvGCiHHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> a) go into the Investment Cash Account settings (again, can't test this
> here, sorry) and define the account beginning balance

Set workbook name not working
Hi I am trying to set the workbookname in a sub procedure but it is not working. Her are the part from my code that is not working: Private Sub Start_Click() Dim MalWb as workbook Dim MalTxt as String Set MalWb = Workbooks(ActiveWorkbook.Name) MalTxt = ActiveWorkbook.Name ' Here I have som code to put data into MalWb Call ReskontroArk("Kunder", MalTxt) End Sub Private Sub ReskontroArk(ReskontroType, MalTxt As Variant) Dim MalWb As Workbook Set MalWb = Workbooks(MalTxt) ' run time error 1004. Canot find file End Sub Can someone ...

My inbox has emails missing from my previous account
I have recently set up OUtlook 2007 on a new computer, however I only have emails from the date set I set up the account, and not those that were in the account beforehand on a previous computer. How do I get my previous emails into my new inbox? 4notrumps wrote: > I have recently set up OUtlook 2007 on a new computer, however I only have > emails from the date set I set up the account, and not those that were in the > account beforehand on a previous computer. How do I get my previous emails > into my new inbox? Use the File -> Open menu in Outlook to load...

money 2001 importing older .mny
after a close friend's hard drive died he replaced it,but was unable to install the version of money he previously used,he then got a copy of money 2001 deluxe and is unable to import his older files(im not quite sure what version he *was* using) ANY help appreciated Graham If you don't know what version he was using, and do not know more about "unable to import his older files," it will be hard to help you. If his version was newer than M01, M01 will likely whine about a password because it can't deal with the newer and unknowable file format it is being presen...

Money 2006 Hangs
I purchased and downloaded 2006 Premium and ran the installer. The first night it ran very slow. I was able to perform some configurations including adding itmes to display on the home page. Today, I start 2006 and logon. I'm told this is a trial though I paid for it. After that, my processor hits 100% and the application hangs. I followed the steps to disable hardware acceleration. I updated my video drivers. Rebooted. Same issue. It is as if Money is trying to build the Home page with the graphs and categories. I have about 5 years of data. Will R. Well, I fixed my o...

Email account Set up #2
I'm trying to set up my email account in outlook 2003 but when I test the settings I get the error message "Send test e-mail message: Unable to send test Message. Please verify the email address field" I know my email is right is maria_as99@yahoo.co I've called my Dell company but they cant help me. Does anybody have any clue about this. Make sure the server settings are correct. Also check your webbased mailclient to see whether you received the test mail. If this is the case your SMTP server settings might be wrong. Are you able to succesfully configure Outlook Express wit...

Help! Money 2004 forgot my password
I use Money almost every day. I have never changed my password. I keep the data file on a secure digital media card. All of a sudden, today my password no longer works. I've tried it on 2 different computers. I know everyone's first impression is that I'm just some idiot that forgot his password, but I assure you that is not the case. I use the same password for all of my applications, and I haven't changed it for years. All of a sudden, Money is not responding to this password anymore. What can I do? Any ideas? My most recent backup is about a month old, and i...

My pop settings mysteriously change
When I start outlook xp after a fresh boot up, the pop settings for my email accounts are changed. My username gets some things added to it, and the pop server settings change to localhost. I have to change them back every time in order to send/receive! Very annoying. Please help. Turn off mail checking in your antivirus. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Marc asked: | Wh...

combine previous money files?
I recently purchased 07 deluxe and have it working with about 5 months of history. I have an old 05 file with data that precedes that. Some data might overlap. Is there a way to combine the two files so that I have a more complete history without major data corruption? Not at all easily. Even the best kludge workaround, QIF export from one and import into the other, can't cover lots of cases like Loan accounts. "bwbob" <bwbob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6732BAB1-6784-4829-B81A-9B7A54272D8B@microsoft.com... >I recently purchased 07 deluxe an...

Convert Quicken XG 2005 to MS Money?
We've been using Quicken XG 2005 for a while now. It does the job, but we've had issues with it and are considering other options. Microsoft has knowledge base article 136112, but it is not available for viewing. Also, we are in Canada. The MS Money website does not give any details as to what kind of functionality we would get from MS Money. Is there a Canadian or an International site for MS Money? ...

Callouts in 2007
Hello, I have a VB6 app that launches Excel and generates charts. Currently we use Excel 2003 but the company is finally adopting 2007. Parts of the chart display as expected, but the callouts do not behave the same. The following code works fine in 2003, but doesn't work in 2007. (The sub is called AddLegend even though it should be AddCallout). There is also another code section where the callout is positioned and the Shape.Adjustments are made to adjust the callout line length etc.... The idea is that a chart could have multiple lines on an X-Y Scatter plot and a callout ...

pfbackup.rxe with outlook 2007?
Does the MS pst backup utility work with Outlook 2007? (The web page says Outlook 2002/3)... Dear Gordon, yes, it works also with Outlook 2007. -- Oliver Vukovics Share your Outlook PST files without Exchange: Public ShareFolder Synchronisation for Outlook and Exchange: Public SyncTool http://www.publicshareware.com "Gordon" <gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:Ol9LLpnXIHA.1132@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Does the MS pst backup utility work with Outlook 2007? (The web page says > Outlook 2002/3)... > "Oliver Vukovics [Public Sharewa...

New Version of Money Plus WITHOUT ACTIVATION!!
This was found at: http://www.microsoft.com/money/default.mspx today, 8/14/09: Update (8/5/09): Later this year, Microsoft will release versions of Money Plus Deluxe and Money Plus Home & Business that will not require online activation. This version will allow you to keep your Money files and transactional history but will not allow access to online services or premium services. Check back here for additional information or look for future announcements in Money Plus. Yes, the same was posted a few days ago (probably on the 5th). It will be very welcome when Microsoft releases th...

Calculate pivot table items in 2007
I have created a sum using getpivotdata to add 2 items in a pivot table. The first one works fine but when I try to copy it down the column, I get the same answer. I've removed any absolutes. Have you any clues as to why this is happening? Any thoughts gratefully received Regards Diane Try the getpivotdata function! See this: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot06.html And this: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HP052091071033.aspx And this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/287736 -- Ryan--- If this information was helpful, please indic...

Filter and Search button not work in Access 2007
I have a form view where users can see a listing of all clients in datasheet view. On this same form is a button that users can push to be prompted for a client name or a portion of a client's name in order to search the listing and have it filter down the results. Hitting the button and leaving the prompt blank will return the full client listing again. This button no longer works now that I am working in Access 2007. Anybody have any ideas why this might be? I've included the button's underlying code for information. Private Sub FilterClient_Click() On Error...

trying to set up hotmail
im trying t find out how to set up my internet options so i can respond to ads on craigslist That depends on who your preferred mail service provider is. Or to ask another way, what is the part of your email address after the @ symbol? If that is Hotmail, use this fix: To make Hotmail your default email service, apply this fix: http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/224/1/Register-Windows-Live-Hotmail= -with-the-Default-Programs-tool-in-Windows-Vista.html =20 --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/profile/vandermolen "...

How can I avoid that zero values in the data set are displayed in.
[Please ask your question in the body of the message, not just in the subject line.] Tools/ Options chart gives you various options for empty cells, but if your cells aren't actually empty but contain zeroes (or "" which counts as zero) then you may want to replace the zeroes by =NA() -- David Biddulph "stef" <stef@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1D8DB252-1598-496E-B8F4-FE3ECC5A5EBF@microsoft.com... > ...

Advanced Setting: Directory Name
How can I change a mail box directory name? Why is it grayed out in Advanced Settings in Exchange 5.5 Administrator? Thanks! Robert Once you've created the mailbox, you can't change the Directory Name. You can change just about everything else. -- Hunter "Robert" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:091301c3b06e$786b1280$a001280a@phx.gbl... > How can I change a mail box directory name? Why is it > grayed out in Advanced Settings in Exchange 5.5 > Administrator? > > > > Thanks! > > Robert ...

Period ID field in Account Transactions in SmartList
What SQL Server 2005 table does the period id field come from in the account transactions part of smartlist? -- Dave Christman System Developer The Smartlist comes form two tables GL10000 (Current Year) and GL30000 (Historical Years) "Dave Christman" wrote: > What SQL Server 2005 table does the period id field come from in the account > transactions part of smartlist? > -- > Dave Christman > System Developer I think it also includes the GL20000 table which is the Year to Date Transaction Open. So we have: GL10000 tables which are for Unposted transactions for...

Account Group ID
I created an account group id with it's associated GL accounts. When I create/edit an asset the Account Group ID doesn't get saved with the asset. It disappears after I hit save. Is this the expectec behavior? I can't find anything in the manuals about this. Thanks!!! I just found the resolution in the Knowledge Base: TechKnowledge Content Issue I have just created an asset in the Asset General Information window. I added an Account Group ID to the card, but after I saved the record the Account Group ID has disappeared. -----------------------------------------------------...

Selecting contacts from an account
Hello ... I have a client that is faced with an issue that is stoping some of his staff from switching from Goldmine to MS-CRM. The staff that have not moved over to MS-CRM yet have not moved over because of the following ... In Goldmine this staff go to their Inbox and will see emails received from customers (i.e., Accounts) over night. They will hit the FORWARD button in order to respond to an email. After they hit forward, Goldmine will let them select additional contacts to send the email to and will filter the list of contacts they can see by customer name (i.e., Account). In ...

Background color excel 2007
I would like to know how to procedd to obtain the following results: if F8 background color=CYAN then k8=j6 other wise nothing happens. Thanks Please explain further: Are you changing the color manually in F8 ? Which cell takes precedence K8 or J6 ? i.e in which cell is the data entered? You can't make actions occur in Excel by changing the color of the cell unless you write a macro. Perhaps a simple solution may be to insert a helper column (it can be narrow and with a small font number & color to make it unobtrusive), say E. Then using Conditional formatting in F8 enter Formula =...

How do I set up a custom template to print on 11X17 paper
I cant seem to find a way to make my own tri folding invitations. Finished product needs to be printed on 11X17 paper. Any one I seem to try ends up printing on 4 seperate sheets of paper. Setup your printer for 11x17, landscape, you have to do this first. In page setup, click custom. The built in templates for Publisher will not default to this size, you will manually have to adjust the content if you use a template. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx...

outlook 2007 stopped opening HTML info sporatically
Several day ago I had a virus alert, locked computer and had to use power button shutdown. Reboot and scanned, removed several spyware threats and increased avast to high protection. Ran Spyware Doctor. Defragged and now Outlook 2007 will not open HTML info in messages. The real issue is the program only opening some frames, not all. Any ideas what I've done to myself? -- pgjw56 It's not really clear what exactly isn't working for you. HTML messages don't display in Outlook at all or when you click on a hyperlink in Outlook it isn't properly dis...

Dos Money 2004 require Passport for automatic updates?
Money 2003 requires us to login using Passport to simply get automatic bank statement downloads. Does 2004 still have that requirement? -- -- Kyle D. Ross -- kyle@distributorgo.com -- http://www.distributorgo.com Nope, this is one improvement I like about Money 2004. Go to Tools > Options and click on the Online Services tab. Put a check in the box to "update accounts online when I start Money." This should allow you to get new transactions automatically without having to use Passport. >-----Original Message----- >Money 2003 requires us to login using Passport...

GP Project accounting... Direct ODBC access
I am integrating our main Project Management product with GP PA. This involves inserting time-phased budget and forecast data into GP PA. I believe this is stored in the PA Budget Periodic Totals Master File (PA01304). My main queries are: 1) Are there any other tables that depend on this table? What other records need to be updated to maintain data consistency? 2) What other tables are PA01304 records based on? Will GP PA overwrite my data if other data is changed? I already have an ODBC application that integrates other data from our product into other tables with no probl...