How does money know which file to open an .ofx (or .qif) file into?

I just added a 2nd money file for a partnership account, while all my
personal data remains in a separate account.  In the past, when
downloading and .ofx or .qif file, I was asked whether to save or open
the file.  If I saved it, money opened it the next time I opened
Money.  If I open Money and there is a .qif or .ofx file waiting for
import, will it know what money datat  file to choose?  I suppose it
could with .ofx files, but I get .qif files from my credit union and I
always have to tell Money what the account is.

I don't want to find myself with Money importing data into the wrong
Money file, even if it can't find an account to put it in.

TIA Jim
0
kaplanjim1 (10)
3/2/2006 1:13:48 AM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

If you just open Money it will open the last file you used. I had a similar
issue (Business & Personal separate files) and got round this by creating
two desktop short cuts.
 In the Target window type "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\bob.mny" -
adjust as needed for your situation and you DO need the quotes. Repeat
replacing bob.mny with business.mny. Again change file names & directories
to suit.
--
Regards
Bob Peel,

For UK tips & fixes see

"Jim" <kaplanjim@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I just added a 2nd money file for a partnership account, while all my
> personal data remains in a separate account.  In the past, when
> downloading and .ofx or .qif file, I was asked whether to save or open
> the file.  If I saved it, money opened it the next time I opened
> Money.  If I open Money and there is a .qif or .ofx file waiting for
> import, will it know what money datat  file to choose?  I suppose it
> could with .ofx files, but I get .qif files from my credit union and I
> always have to tell Money what the account is.
>
> I don't want to find myself with Money importing data into the wrong
> Money file, even if it can't find an account to put it in.
>
> TIA Jim

0
Bob
3/4/2006 7:32:11 AM
Bob,

I just upgraded from MS Money 2004 to MS Money 2006.  I suddenly can not
download QIF files from my 401K.  It keeps telling me I need to change my
browser download settings.  Unfortuneately, my browser settings are already
set the correct way.  (the way it is telling me to set it up).

I tried a different 401K account to see if it was unique to that account,
but got the same error message.  This leads me to believe that it is a
problem with MS Money.  Any ideas?

"Bob Peel, MVP" wrote:

> If you just open Money it will open the last file you used. I had a similar
> issue (Business & Personal separate files) and got round this by creating
> two desktop short cuts.
>  In the Target window type "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\bob.mny" -
> adjust as needed for your situation and you DO need the quotes. Repeat
> replacing bob.mny with business.mny. Again change file names & directories
> to suit.
> --
> Regards
> Bob Peel,
> Microsoft MVP - Money
>
> For UK tips & fixes see
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny.
>

> I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for.
>
> "Jim" <kaplanjim@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >I just added a 2nd money file for a partnership account, while all my
> > personal data remains in a separate account.  In the past, when
> > downloading and .ofx or .qif file, I was asked whether to save or open
> > the file.  If I saved it, money opened it the next time I opened
> > Money.  If I open Money and there is a .qif or .ofx file waiting for
> > import, will it know what money datat  file to choose?  I suppose it
> > could with .ofx files, but I get .qif files from my credit union and I
> > always have to tell Money what the account is.
> >
> > I don't want to find myself with Money importing data into the wrong
> > Money file, even if it can't find an account to put it in.
> >
> > TIA Jim

0
Miles (62)
3/4/2006 7:51:11 PM
In microsoft.public.money, Ken Miles <Ken
Miles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I just upgraded from MS Money 2004 to MS Money 2006.  I suddenly can not
>download QIF files from my 401K.  It keeps telling me I need to change my
>browser download settings.  Unfortuneately, my browser settings are already
>set the correct way.  (the way it is telling me to set it up).

It? Do you mean Microsoft Money says that, or IE6, or what?

>I tried a different 401K account to see if it was unique to that account,
>but got the same error message.  This leads me to believe that it is a
>problem with MS Money.  Any ideas?

Try saving the QIF file to disk. Then in Money do File->Import
(statement).
0
via_newsgroup (13114)
3/4/2006 8:17:18 PM
On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 07:32:11 -0000, "Bob Peel, MVP" <bob_peel@NO
SPAM.kiandra.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>If you just open Money it will open the last file you used. I had a similar
>issue (Business & Personal separate files) and got round this by creating
>two desktop short cuts.
> In the Target window type "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\bob.mny" -
>adjust as needed for your situation and you DO need the quotes. Repeat
>replacing bob.mny with business.mny. Again change file names & directories
>to suit.

TUVM
0
kaplanjim1 (10)
3/5/2006 2:16:18 AM
I meant to say Money.

I did figure out what I was doing wrong though.  Money 2004 and 2006 have
different ways of importing files from 401K's.  2006 imports 401K info by
"recovering the file" where in 2004, Money "imported" both bank and 401K
investment information then asked the user what type of file they are
importing.  Looks like this is my own user error.

Thanks for trying to help.

Ken

"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:

> In microsoft.public.money, Ken Miles <Ken
> Miles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>

> >I just upgraded from MS Money 2004 to MS Money 2006.  I suddenly can not
> >download QIF files from my 401K.  It keeps telling me I need to change my
> >browser download settings.  Unfortuneately, my browser settings are already
> >set the correct way.  (the way it is telling me to set it up).
>
> It? Do you mean Microsoft Money says that, or IE6, or what?
>

> >I tried a different 401K account to see if it was unique to that account,
> >but got the same error message.  This leads me to believe that it is a
> >problem with MS Money.  Any ideas?
>
> Try saving the QIF file to disk. Then in Money do File->Import
> (statement).

0
KenMiles (2)

Money 2002 #10
I archived the previous years entries and my problem is I cannot open the file Microsoft Money file extension mny. It says to use a program to open the file. I used Microsoft to search for a program to open the file. It refers me to Microsoft Money Page. However I cannot find a program to download that will open my archive file. Does anyone know what program to download so I can access the archive file. TKS The .MNY extension is the exact same one as on your regular data file. Are you trying to open a .MNY file from some kind of read-only medium like a CD-R? That won't work....

Money 2005 Standard payee dropdown list
My list of payees (approx. 30-40) is visible in the payee list but none are there when clicking the dropdown box in the transaction form. Adding a new payee in the dropdown box adds it to the general payee list though. Typing the first letter of a payee will allow the "hidden" payee to appear in the payee field but I wish to see the entire payee list in the dropdown box. Searched settings and setup info without finding solution. The payee list normally shows those payees used in the last year... could any of the ones you don'#t see be ones older that that? It would be...

Office apps won't open, report Office in use by another use
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel A few days ago, our Office applications started showing the report that "An Office program is being used by "user." your installation exceeds the number of installations permitted by thelicense agreement. Click More Information to learn about Microsoft Office licensing." But OFFICE ISN'T BEING USED BY ANYONE. All computers have been restarted to no avail. HELP! <sakas@officeformac.com> wrote: > A few days ago, our Office applications started showing the report that > "An Office p...

cycle through n files
I've got a series of operations to do on n excel files the directory is the same..the names of the files are 0001..0002...0003...0004..until 0067 How can I do that through a macro?? Hi I have examples here http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm If you need help post back -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Rossella" <rossy77@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1144840532.042950.93010@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > I've got a series of operations to do on n excel files > the directory is the same..the names of the files are > 0001..0002...0003.....

when i upgraded my files disapeared
i was using the beta for office 2003 and it expired on november30. i went out and bought 2003pro and tried to install it. the beta said that it needed to be uninstalled before i could install the full version. the beta didnt let me back up any information and when i uninstalled it it took all of its info and settings with it. i lost all contacts emails and settings. is there any i can get those back? >the beta said that it needed to be >uninstalled before i could install the full version. the >beta didnt let me back up any information and when i >uninstalled it it took all ...

outlook.pst file repair tool?
how to repair outlook.pst file which may be corrupted Monis Beraha <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > how to repair outlook.pst file which may be corrupted Search your HD for scanpst.exe -- Brian Tillman ...

Make Excel upload files via FTP??
A few days ago I asked about creating files from a Excel worksheet that can be shared online. Someone suggested this VBA: http://www.meadinkent.co.uk/xladvhtml.htm I've been trying this and it works. Now I want to get Excel to run the VBA-code every time the file is closed, AND (and now comes the tricky part), to upload the created html-files to a FTP account. Every time the file is closed the macro "make_htm" should run, and get the files got created upload from the local folder, to a FTP account. Is this possible?? ...

How to read binary file created by non-MFC source?
I am a newbie working on a simple project for loading a binary file and displaying its byte-by-byte contents in interger equivalent. The file was created by some unknown source (presummably not MFC). I am using SDI/CScrollView interface and the file is supposed to be open under FILE/OPEN menu. At the beginning, I've been trying to include CString str; ar >> str; in void CMyProjectDoc::Serialize(CArchive &ar) as an attempt to put everything in str prior to converting every byte into interger. What happened was 1) The first byte (which is known to be a 92) was missing; and 2) ...

Opening Email Program in IE8
When I try to open my email program with the envelope icon on my IE8 toolbar I get the error message: cannot perform this operation because the default email client is not properly installed. This was working fine and suddenly stopped. How can I correct? Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) when posting in a forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply. Also state your default Mail Client (e.g., Outlook Express; Windows Mail; Outlook; Thunderbird; Windows Live Mail; Yahoo Mail). -- ~Robear Dyer (PA...

How to copy a field of A excel file to B Excel file automatically?
I need to copy some fields of A.xls to B.xls every night at 12:00. how can I do that? I'd try one of two methods. First, use the MS Windows "scheduler" to fire off you spreadsheet at midnight (make sure to leave the computer turned on) and have a VBA macro triggered when the workbook is opened to perform the data movement. A second, albeit more difficult method, would be to write VBA code to structure an internal timer that would watch for midnight. In this case, you'd have to open the workbook before going home for the day, and activate the macro that sets ...

Need to extrcat data from one Excel file to an other
Hi there I'm looking form a solution to press on button in a Excel sheet which ill exctract some datas from an other Excel sheet which can be close or opened. It should beworing on Windows XP, 2003, Vista and 7 as well with 32 bits and 64 bits. Thanks in avance for your advise and best regards Tra Browse through the example codes found at Ron de Bruin's site. http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm Look at the 'Copy/paste/merge" section. Should be some good material to start with. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 28 May 2011 19:53:03 +0200, Tra Sumaka <trasumak...

Exporting an editable file
I don't have Publisher Have a (luddite) client who has a two page .pub document and after a struggle, finally got it in pdf format, but the pdf does not allow copying any of the text although the security settings allow it. How do I tell her to export the text so that it can be included in an information document? Thanks, Beverly Howard Will copy and paste into Word do it for you? -- Don Vancouver, USA "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in message news:uVIla2EoEHA.3792@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > I don't have Publisher > &...

deleting files / freeing space
When I delete files by hilighting, pressing delete then emptying the recycle bin ----- no space actually gets cleared up When i delete by holding shift + delete ---- space does free up I'm running: XP Home Version 2002 SP3 I'm not crazy or a newbie but am an MCTS and have never seen this before in all my years ghostsniper007 wrote: > When I delete files by hilighting, pressing delete then emptying the > recycle bin ----- no space actually gets cleared up > > When i delete by holding shift + delete ---- space does free up > > I'm running: XP Ho...

File Extensions
I've lost all emails and attachments from O. E. after upgrading to Windows XP and Office XP. I can't find a list of file extensions for Express in any help. Anyone know these extensions? Thanks Hi - they're .dbx files. But note - This is a group to support Outlook from the Office group of programs. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and is a quite different program, despite its similar name.. You will probably get a faster and more expert answer if you post this to an Outlook Express news group. Try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.ine...

money password #4
I backed up money to a cd shortly before my computer crashed. I reinstalled Money 2001 on a new computer and went to restore my money and it won't let me...says I need a password. Never set a password up and it won't let me get my info. How do I restore around this password request when there is no password. This password request usually means that your Money file was written by a version later than the one you have installed. Are you sure you didn't have e.g. M2004 trial or similar on your PC? -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see ht...

Money 2007: Customize asset classes?
Is it possible to customize the pre-defined asset classes in Money 2007? I'd like to slice and dice my portfolio in more detail than just cash/bonds/large-med-small cap/other. For example I have various international and REIT funds in my account. I'd like to track these seperate instead of dumping them in Other.. Also, what about a blend fund that is 70% large, 20% med, 10% small, etc? Customize: No. For the purpose of asset allocation, there's a button labeled 'Change' on the investment details screen. There, you can divvy it up across the pre-determined catego...

Money 2006 Crashes on Exit #3
I have Win98SE. When I close Money, I get a message that an error has occurred and do I want to send Microsoft a report. For the 1st few times it happened, I said yes. Now I say no. In either case, Money exits, then starts up again & puts me into the Login screen. If I Close out of that, I get the error popup again. If I say No, Money closes and stays closed. What can I do to prevent Money from initially crashing? Thanks, Tony Money is still crashing. Any ideas how to fix it? "TonyK73" <TonyK73@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A930778B-8B3E...

Outlook 2007 Auto open email from known sender
There are a few people in my contact list with whom I need to keep in constant contact. A nice feature would be, for those individuals I trust, to automatically open email on my desktop, or at least to make the auto-notification window persistent. Thanks, Jeff ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader a...

CtreeCtrl & item.iIntegral with manifest file not working correctly
Hi I working on a project and the tree items have different heights, i am changing the height with item.iIntegral see TVITEMEX Structure. Thats working perfect but if apply my application the manifest file for XP-Style see http://www.codeproject.com/macro/vc-xp.asp The tree lines are broken, is there a work around? If i remove the manifest files the tree control is working perfect.I want to use the XP-Style but also have the TreeCtrl working, any idea? I hope somebody can help me.... bye bye Lorenz Test Code i am using : m_tree is an CTreeCtrl; First call fillTree after that unequ...

Issue with CSV file
I am programmatically creating a CSV file that has a list of formulae from a workbook/worksheet (see example below). Note that there are 5 records in the file, tho the text might wrap below in your newsreader to appear to have more lines. Double clicking on the CSV file causes Excel to issue #NAME? errors for the records marked as BAD, The records marked as "BAD" cause Excel to try to update the text due to the included references to worksheets. This occurs for a formula that begin with a "-" character. And, ditto for a "+". I can avoid the problem by sticking an...

XML Insert data C# ASP.net 2.0 Need to know how to insert by speci
Hello, I have the following XML Schema: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <Schedule> <Day Name="Monday"> </Day> <Day Name="Tuesday"> </Day> <Day Name="Wednesday"> </Day> <Day Name="Thursday"> </Day> <Day Name="Friday"> </Day> <Day Name="Saturday"> </Day> <Day Name="Sunday"> </Day> </Schedule> I want users to be able to input the following tiomeblocks for a scheduling s...

how do I convert pagemaker files to publisher
Can publisher convert adabe pagemaker files? Nope! "Judy J" <Judy J@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F1C2F61A-464B-4E71-806E-ED3290B6A2BD@microsoft.com... > Can publisher convert adabe pagemaker files? ...

Outlook 2003 Bcm Cannot open outlook
Contact Manger has encountered a problem and need to be closed. Event Type:BCM P1:mapi P2: Typeinitializationexception P3: 1.0.2002.1 P4:11.0.8118 P5:nativemsproviderinit P6:msproviderinit P7:D40099TB Is there a fix for this error? Cortexmann wrote: > Contact Manger has encountered a problem and need to be closed. Event > Type:BCM P1:mapi P2: Typeinitializationexception P3: 1.0.2002.1 > P4:11.0.8118 P5:nativemsproviderinit P6:msproviderinit P7:D40099TB > Is there a fix for this error? Any changes to the system between when it worked and when it didn't work,...

running macro when workbook is openned
I have the following macro it should run when the workbook is opened. I keep getting an error message. Any ideas. Isthere something that is missing Option Explicit Sub Update() With Sheet5 ActiveSheet.Unprotect Application.EnableEvents = False If UserForm4.CheckBox60.Value = True Then Sheet5.ComboBox3.Visible = True Sheet5.Label5.Visible = True Sheet5.TextBox29.Visible = True Sheet6.ComboBox3.Visible = True Else UserForm4.CheckBox60.Value = False Sheet5.ComboBox3.Visible = False Sheet5.Label5.Visible = False Sheet5.TextBox29.Visible = False Sheet6.ComboBox3.Visible = F...

Corrupt Money file appears to create system instability
Looking for some help and assistance correcting an apparently corrupt Money file that results in my laptop rebooting when I have Money open (but not immediately on open). Worked with MS support to try file repair (level 2 fails), then selectively deleted the accounts that appeared to cause problem (Amex and Schwab). Repair files executes successfully when accounts are deleted. Trouble is, I need them, and have been using Money as my personal finance software since 2001. 1) Is this a known problem? 2) Is is related to Money 2006, that I upgraded to 2 weeks ago? 3) How can I fix it? ...