How can I move an investment to a different account?

I have a few accounts in my portfolio; each has a number of investments (no
investment appears in more than one account). I want to move an investment
(all the buys, sells, dividends etc. for a stock or fund) from one account to
another. In 2004 I was able to do this by opening the account online and
simply dragging the investment from one account to the other. Now, the only
way I find to accomplish the task is to laboriously edit each transaction
within the investment. There has to be a simple way to move the entire
investment from one account to another. Any thoughts?
0
efm5 (1)
8/9/2006 6:59:04 PM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

You want there to be a simple way for something but there isn't?

Moving it will be complicated by the prospect of "negative shares at some
point" state/messages. Add a HUGE Buy in the investment in the account you
are moving out of at a date BEFORE the date all other transactions for the
investment. Move each transaction for the investment starting with the first
real one. When all are moved, delete the bogus huge Buy.

"efm5" <efm5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a few accounts in my portfolio; each has a number of investments
(no
> investment appears in more than one account). I want to move an investment
> (all the buys, sells, dividends etc. for a stock or fund) from one account
> another. In 2004 I was able to do this by opening the account online and
> simply dragging the investment from one account to the other. Now, the
only
> way I find to accomplish the task is to laboriously edit each transaction
> within the investment. There has to be a simple way to move the entire
> investment from one account to another. Any thoughts?

Mr. Watson, you are saying efm5 is correct?  There is no easy method of
moving an investment from one account to another?  (When there are a great
number of transactions, moving each individual transaction is NOT an easy
method.)  I have the same problem he has.  A mutual company is now offering
Money inter-operability, but separate their account separate accounts for
each investment.  I'd like to use the capability, but not at the expense of
laborously moving transactions from the last 30 years!

Does anyone know of an easier method?

Thank you.

"Dick Watson" wrote:

> You want there to be a simple way for something but there isn't?
>
> Moving it will be complicated by the prospect of "negative shares at some
> point" state/messages. Add a HUGE Buy in the investment in the account you
> are moving out of at a date BEFORE the date all other transactions for the
> investment. Move each transaction for the investment starting with the first
> real one. When all are moved, delete the bogus huge Buy.
>
> "efm5" <efm5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > another. In 2004 I was able to do this by opening the account online and
> > simply dragging the investment from one account to the other. Now, the
> only
> > way I find to accomplish the task is to laboriously edit each transaction
> > within the investment. There has to be a simple way to move the entire
> > investment from one account to another. Any thoughts?

0
kjd (4)
10/10/2006 10:34:02 PM
There is not an easy way to move the **entire transaction history for one
investment from one investment account to another.** If your really want to
do this, the most straightforward, least involved and risky way is one
transaction at a time.

There are probably others involving exotic things like exporting the whole
account to QIF and then editing one or several copies and doing one or
several imports and then deleting entire accounts and/or deleting investment
transactions, again, one-by-one.

Personally, I'd say that "a mutual company ... offering Money
inter-operability, but separating their account [into] separate accounts for
each investment" isn't offering Money interoperability, just some band-aid
on cancer.

In microsoft.public.money, efm5 wrote:

>I have a few accounts in my portfolio; each has a number of investments (no
>investment appears in more than one account). I want to move an investment
>(all the buys, sells, dividends etc. for a stock or fund) from one account to
>another. In 2004 I was able to do this by opening the account online and
>simply dragging the investment from one account to the other. Now, the only
>way I find to accomplish the task is to laboriously edit each transaction
>within the investment. There has to be a simple way to move the entire
>investment from one account to another. Any thoughts?

This is how I tested it out in Money 2007:

1. I created a new investment account. In order to not have Money
insist on a LiveID/Passport, I indicated that the financial
institution was not listed.

2. In the existing account, I checked how many shares of FundX were
held by clicking AccountSummary in the account register. In the
InvestmentTransactions, I entered a TransferOut transaction for that
many shares of FundX and specified the new account as the transfer
account.

3. I noted that the Capital Gains Manager incorrectly listed the
transfer date as the basis date for each of the lots.. Ignore that
anomaly.

4. With the accounts and FundX NOT set up for FIFO, or Average
basis, I did a Sell of part of the shares. The list of lots had the
CORRECT original Buy dates and prices. Good. I assume that had I
specified one of the average basis or FIFO methods, then that would
have worked too.

5. I exported the tax data to a .txf file. The correct basis date
and price was listed. Good.

You should be able to find prior discussions of this topic. Search
for "transfer out" in the old postings.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
10/11/2006 2:28:21 AM
In microsoft.public.money, kjd wrote:

>Does anyone know of an easier method?

There has to be a simple way to move the entire
>investment from one account to another. Any thoughts?

This is how I tested it out in Money 2007:

1. I created a new investment account. In order to not have Money
insist on a LiveID/Passport, I indicated that the financial
institution was not listed.

2. In the existing account, I checked how many shares of FundX were
held by clicking AccountSummary in the account register. In the
InvestmentTransactions, I entered a TransferOut transaction for that
many shares of FundX and specified the new account as the transfer
account.

3. I noted that the Capital Gains Manager incorrectly listed the
transfer date as the basis date for each of the lots.. Ignore that
anomaly.

4. With the accounts and FundX NOT set up for FIFO, or Average
basis, I did a Sell of part of the shares. The list of lots had the
CORRECT original Buy dates and prices. Good. I assume that had I
specified one of the average basis or FIFO methods, then that would
have worked too.

5. I exported the tax data to a .txf file. The correct basis date
and price was listed. Good.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
10/11/2006 2:29:41 AM
That is what I was afraid of.  I don't have to update past 2005 for another
year, I think, so I am going to write a new message suggesting an improvement
in Money.

Thank you,
kjd

"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:

> In microsoft.public.money, kjd wrote:
>

> >Does anyone know of an easier method?
>
> There has to be a simple way to move the entire
> >investment from one account to another. Any thoughts?
>

> This is how I tested it out in Money 2007:
>
> 1. I created a new investment account. In order to not have Money
> insist on a LiveID/Passport, I indicated that the financial
> institution was not listed.
>
> 2. In the existing account, I checked how many shares of FundX were
> held by clicking AccountSummary in the account register. In the
> InvestmentTransactions, I entered a TransferOut transaction for that
> many shares of FundX and specified the new account as the transfer
> account.
>
> 3. I noted that the Capital Gains Manager incorrectly listed the
> transfer date as the basis date for each of the lots.. Ignore that
> anomaly.
>
> 4. With the accounts and FundX NOT set up for FIFO, or Average
> basis, I did a Sell of part of the shares. The list of lots had the
> CORRECT original Buy dates and prices. Good. I assume that had I
> specified one of the average basis or FIFO methods, then that would
> have worked too.
>

> 5. I exported the tax data to a .txf file. The correct basis date
> and price was listed. Good.

0
kjd (4)
10/11/2006 3:24:02 PM
In microsoft.public.money, kjd wrote:

>That is what I was afraid of.

I don't know what you think I said, but it appears to be different
than what I said.

What conclusion did you draw that invokes your fear?

>  I don't have to update past 2005 for another
>year, I think, so I am going to write a new message suggesting an improvement
>in Money.
>
>Thank you,
>kjd
>
>"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:
>
>> In microsoft.public.money, kjd wrote:
>>

>> >Does anyone know of an easier method?
>>
>> There has to be a simple way to move the entire
>> >investment from one account to another. Any thoughts?
>>

>> This is how I tested it out in Money 2007:
>>
>> 1. I created a new investment account. In order to not have Money
>> insist on a LiveID/Passport, I indicated that the financial
>> institution was not listed.
>>
>> 2. In the existing account, I checked how many shares of FundX were
>> held by clicking AccountSummary in the account register. In the
>> InvestmentTransactions, I entered a TransferOut transaction for that
>> many shares of FundX and specified the new account as the transfer
>> account.
>>
>> 3. I noted that the Capital Gains Manager incorrectly listed the
>> transfer date as the basis date for each of the lots.. Ignore that
>> anomaly.
>>
>> 4. With the accounts and FundX NOT set up for FIFO, or Average
>> basis, I did a Sell of part of the shares. The list of lots had the
>> CORRECT original Buy dates and prices. Good. I assume that had I
>> specified one of the average basis or FIFO methods, then that would
>> have worked too.
>>

>> 5. I exported the tax data to a .txf file. The correct basis date
>> and price was listed. Good.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)

Can I get rid of browser address line
I have money 2005 S.B. I would like to get rid of the browser address line at the top and make room for some buttons that actually have importance and are useful. Is it possible? Microsoft thinks that Most Users Prefer(tm) their screen cluttered with all of the useless stuff in Money and the useful stuff gets what's left. Sorry, short of reverting to M04, there's no known workaround. "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:567538B6-94E2-4EB6-A8C8-C25D07EF9B27@microsoft.com... >I have money 2005 S.B. I would like to get rid of the brows...

Los Angeles Movers Moving Company in Los Angeles
Los Angeles Movers Moving Company in Los Angeles http://www.mover4u.com all moving services in los angeles. please do not advertise in this group "moneymaker" wrote: > Los Angeles Movers Moving Company in Los Angeles http://www.mover4u.com > all moving services in los angeles. > > I'm pretty sure that is a spam bot. From the amount I've seen of them lately, it's almost got me to block all messages posted through googlegroups. You can try reporting it to groups-abuse@google.com, but it's unlikely they will do much unless they get reports from ma...

.Net passport account and MSN Money website
I am attempting to start over with my money account because of problems converting to 2005. When I link the account to my passport account it brings all the old recurring transactions to the new account and they are WAY old. Is there any way to clean them from the MSN money website before I associate my .net account with my money file?. When I go out to moneycentral to view my reccurring bills and deposits nothing is listed. Thanks for any help. This is supposed to be accomplished by resetting the data. Log in to the Passport you want to clean out and then go to https://moneycentr...

How can I remove the previous lock cells and keep the new ones.
Could you please help me?... I locked and protected the cells A1:H20 in the sheet 1 two months ago. However, yesterday I wanted to unlock and unprotect these cells and locked and protected the cells A21:H40 instead. However, for some reason the cells A1:H20 are still lock and protect. How can I remove the previous lock cells (A1:H20) and keep the new cells (A21`:H40) only. Thanks. Maperalia In EXCEL 2007 take the following actions to unlock cells A1 to H20:- 1. Home / Cells group / Format / Unprotect Sheet / enter the password to Unprotect Sheet / OK / highlight cells A1 t...

I can't set up Outlook in Office 2007
Office Small Business 2007 came installed on my new computer. When I try to use Outlook, it starts to configure, and then I get a message that "Connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or..." It then takes me to a menu "Microsoft Exchange" with a General tab asking for Name of Server and then Mailbox Name. I have no idea what to enter. So I'm stuck. Furthermore, it's important that I synch with my BlackBerry but it has to be done through Outlook, and that's impossible this way. PLEASE HELP! -- A moderately expert us...

Validation Rule for IBAN Account number in MS Access Form field
Hi, In my table (and the form field linked to it) I have a field for the IBAN account number, which must be 2 Upper case characters A to Z, followed by 18 manadatory digits, and up to 28 total. So in my input mask I have this: >LL00\-0000\-0000\-0000\-0000\-9999\-9999;; and it works fine. But when the user enters less than 20 characters total (including the two letters at the start and at least 18 digits) Access gives a very unfriendly ''The value you entered isn't appropriate for the input mask '>LL00\-0000\-0000\-0000\-0000\-9999\-9999;;' specified for thi...

Account totals missing in Portfolio Manager after switch to Money
When I switched from Money 2005 to Money 2006, somr of my investments no longer have a Total Account Value. The line is just blank. This leads to an incorrect total at the bottom of the page. How can I get Money to calculate the totals accurately? ...

Move cells down to match cells
A B C D E 1 000801025-8 009601025-3 2007 000801025-8 2007 2 000801026-9 009601026-4 2004 000801026-9 2004 3 000801028-1 009601028-6 2006 000801028-1 2006 4 000801036-8 009601036-3 2008 000801036-8 2008 5 000801044-5 009601044-0 2007 000801044-5 2007 6 000801044-5 009601055-0 2004 000801055-5 2004 7 000801055-5 009601064-8 2001 000801064-3 2001 8 000801055-5 009601091-2 2006 000801091-7 2006 9 000801064-3 009601095-6 2002 000801095-1 2002 10 000801091-7 009601097-8 1998 000801097-3 1998 11 000801091-7...

Bulk attachments

Macro-separate different dates with two grey rows
Excel 2000: In column B, there are about 200 rows with dates. The sheet is sorted by date. The dates have a range of about 3 weeks. There may be between 1 and 35 rows with the same date. Is there a way to automatically insert 2 grey rows between the different dates? Example: I enter 21april in row 1, then 22april in row 2, and 2 grey rows separate automatically. Joe Hi Joe try the following macro Sub insert_rows() Dim lastrow As Long Dim row_index As Long lastrow = ActiveSheet.Cells(Rows.count, "A").End(xlUp).row For row_index = lastrow - 1 To 1 Step -1 If Cells(row_index, &...

investment summary #4
I have closed certain investment accounts, yet on my home page the Investment Summary is still tracking them. How do I get the closed accounts to stop showing up on the investment summary portion of my home page? The investment page weems broken t me as well. The total shown is not the total of the accounts shown. "Matt" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:090e01c4aa84$6929ab40$3a01280a@phx.gbl... > I have closed certain investment accounts, yet on my home > page the Investment Summary is still tracking them. How > do I get the closed ac...

Can't view HTML emails in Outlook 2002
I receive daily new articles from Cnet, up until the last few weeks they have been coming across in HTML format, recently they have changed to text format and are unreadable. Nothing has changed within Outlook or my system for that matter, but I am at a loss of what could be causing this issue, I have gone into the Outlook 2002 setting and can't find anything that could be causng this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ...

Add E-mail Account
I am completely new at this and I need some help! I am trying to add an email account to Outlook. Our company uses SBC Global. I go to Accounts and click add and follow the steps. But it doesn't seem to work. Can anyone help me?! Thank you! Did you check how others in your office have their email accounts set up? You can also check the SBC Global website to see how they advise you to set it up (server names, etc.). -- Kathleen Orland - MVP Outlook Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.howto-outlook.com/ "Stefanie" wrote: > I am completely new a...

Can I create custom theme fonts?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I have a variety of office documents where the fonts that I use are not available in any of the theme fonts. I would like to be able to modify the standard fonts that are part of a theme the same way that I can modify the colors that are part of that theme. I've searched Help and the web to no avail, so I'm assuming this feature doesn't exist. ...

Can not copy a worksheet to another workbook
Hi, I am currently using Excel 2003, I have a 3.11mb file with about 20 worksheets, this file has been around much longer than I have. Every month I would copy 4 worksheets to another workbook. This month I am no longer able to do this, I right click the tab, and choose move or copy, and choose the workbook, and check create a copy, nothing will happen, it does not matter if I right click on the worksheet tab or use the Edit menu. It will let me move the worksheet, but it will not allow me to copy it. I got an error message on named ranges (saying they already exist) when I moved it...

shared DLL VS static Link, Are they different?
hi, everyone, I meet a strange problem: I'm using VC6 and create a dialog based applications. And I want to add a third part library( Open computer library--OpenCV AS DLL). I linked with the cxcored.lib. My APP will call functions in cxcore001d.dll. I only add two functions in the OnInitDialog function: ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// BOOL COpenCVdialogDlg::OnInitDialog() { ...... m_iplImage = cvCreateImage(ImgSize,IPL_DEPTH_8U,IMAGE_CHANNELS); cvReleaseImage(&m_iplImage); ...... } //////////////////////////////////////////////...

simple can't find form question
I have a form with some simple code behind it which reads like this: with Forms![frmNextFixtureTypeOption] .[lblNextAlpha].Caption = strNextAlpha .[lblNextNumeric].Caption = strNextNumeric end with stDocName = "frmNextFixtureTypeOption" DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria the second part (where I open the form) works fine, but the first (where I set the caption for 2 of the controls) does not - it returns an error "can't find form"... as always, many thanks in advance, mark O...

same stock, multible accounts
I have the same stock in more then one account but money 2006 will nt let me reuse the symble -- Good Luck and God Bless See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=59. "Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B9EACE5F-DCCD-4D83-98A5-D10B2DD2B310@microsoft.com... >I have the same stock in more then one account but money 2006 will nt let >me > reuse the symble ...

Calculating the difference between two times
I need to calculate the difference between two times. I do not have a problem when going from 12:00am to 11:59am. I also figured out how to calculate the differnce between 12:00am to 11:59pm. How do you calculate the difference between two times when it goes over two days. For instance from 10:00am (10/03) to 1:00am (10/04). That is 15 hours, but I cannot get that answer. Also, the dates are not important, I just need to be able to calculate that as 15:00 hours. With the start time in A1 (10:00 AM) and the end time in A2 (01:00 AM) use =MOD(A2-A1,1) Regards, Peo Sjoblom &...

Can't get rid of rogue PST file in Folder List
Hi, I have Outlook XP SP1 and latest updates. After a recent reinstall of WinXP I now have 2 PST files listed. One is my normal one, and the other is pointing at a file that doesn't exist. I get the error when I click on it: "Unable to display the folder. Microsoft Outlook could not access the specified folder location. The path specified for the file ... is not valid." I can't right-click to delete it. If I try to create a PST where it is hoping to find one, it won't open it anyway. I've removed all references (there were 2) to that PST from registry. What els...

How can i change tab control 's background color
I create a class derived from CTabCtrl. If i handle the WM_PAINT message, there're nothing left on the control. Does it mean that I should draw all the things? And the WM_CTLCOLOR doesn't work,too. How can I change the background color simply? ...

Adding Subcategories of account types
Greetings I have used money for some years now, and would like to find out if there is a possibility to enable subcategories of account types. That is, under account list, bank accounts, i would like to have a way to separate my checking account from my wife's as well as our business checking account (I am using beta mny2005 deluxe & not business.) The same is true for my credit accounts, that is, can I create a category that separates my credit cards from my wife's? tks -- ARosenthal MCS Dallas In microsoft.public.money, ARosenthal wrote: > >I have used money for ...

How can I get a combo box to get data based on a text box?
Hi, I have a text box that looks up an ID number from a table. I want the User to type in an ID and then have a combo box on the same form that gives a list of dates that correspond to that ID in the text box. Right now, the combo box displays all the dates from all the ID's. I want it to only show the dates that are linked to that ID. Please help, Thanks Use the text box's AfterUpdate event to modify the combo box's RowSource property: Me.ComboBox1.RowSource = "SELECT ... FROM ... WHERE FieldID=" & Me.TextID & ";" tyler.deutsch@gmail.com wrote...

I can not receive e-mail.
When I send/receive I keep getting an error message, Task 'mail.lig.bellsouth.net - Receiving' reported error (0x8004210A): 'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving (POP) server. If you continue to receive theis message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP) I am not sure how to proceed. Disable your antivirus scanner for outgoing mail and check your server settings with Bell South. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;813518&Product=ol2002 "sidvr" wrote: > When I send/receive I ke...

Can not access CRM 4.0 from a client machine after initial setup
Hi, I just finished installing CRM 4.0 and the client side. When I go through the wizard to connect the server, it is not accepting the intranet address, "The specified MS CRM server is not available. can not access through the browser either. I can access it while logged onto the server. I did create the domain user onto the CRM and gave all roles. The address is: "http://crm:5555/CPA-CRM/loader.aspx". I am running SBS 2008, and a separate server for CRM/SQL2005. Another question: How can I change it where it is only "http://crm/loader.aspx" thanks, Joe ...