Help! Can't Restore my "Old" Money 2005 Backup

Help! Can't Restore my "Old" Money 2005 Backup.
Windows 2000 replaced by Windows XP Home on C:\Drive. D:\Drive contains data
and Backup only. PC is on a wired Home Network .

I recently upgraded from Windows 2000 Pro to Windows XP Home. I wiped the C:
Drive clean (formatted) and did a "Fresh" install of Windows XP Home. I
reinstalled Microsoft Money 2005 Deluxe, then tried to restore my "old" 2005
Money Backup file (My Money Backup.mbf) from both D: Drive and USB
thumbdrive. The Restore shows a default location ..."C:\Program Files \My
Money.mny". When I click Restore the following appears..." Money cannot
locate D:\Temp\My Money.mbf or cannot open it, possibly because it is a
read-only ( I deselected that)
file or your disk drive is write protected.
If you have chosen the correct file and it cannot be accessed, you will need
to click OK and open your most recent backup file.

Please help...lost 2 years of archived records on "old" Backup!

TIA for any and all Help,
sidg

money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

In microsoft.public.money, sidg wrote:

>Help! Can't Restore my "Old" Money 2005 Backup.
>Windows 2000 replaced by Windows XP Home on C:\Drive. D:\Drive contains data
>and Backup only. PC is on a wired Home Network .
>
>I recently upgraded from Windows 2000 Pro to Windows XP Home. I wiped the C:
>Drive clean (formatted) and did a "Fresh" install of Windows XP Home. I
>reinstalled Microsoft Money 2005 Deluxe, then tried to restore my "old" 2005
>Money Backup file (My Money Backup.mbf) from both D: Drive and USB
>thumbdrive. The Restore shows a default location ..."C:\Program Files \My
>Money.mny". When I click Restore the following appears..." Money cannot
>locate D:\Temp\My Money.mbf or cannot open it, possibly because it is a
>read-only ( I deselected that)
>file or your disk drive is write protected.
>If you have chosen the correct file and it cannot be accessed, you will need
>to click OK and open your most recent backup file.

Do not restore to the default location. Instead, Browse to your My
Documents folder for the destination.
0
via_newsgroup (13114)
3/3/2006 11:40:50 PM
In microsoft.public.money, Cal Learner-- MVP wrote:

>In microsoft.public.money, sidg wrote:
>
>>Help! Can't Restore my "Old" Money 2005 Backup.
>>Windows 2000 replaced by Windows XP Home on C:\Drive. D:\Drive contains data
>>and Backup only. PC is on a wired Home Network .
>>
>>I recently upgraded from Windows 2000 Pro to Windows XP Home. I wiped the C:
>>Drive clean (formatted) and did a "Fresh" install of Windows XP Home. I
>>reinstalled Microsoft Money 2005 Deluxe, then tried to restore my "old" 2005
>>Money Backup file (My Money Backup.mbf) from both D: Drive and USB
>>thumbdrive. The Restore shows a default location ..."C:\Program Files \My
>>Money.mny". When I click Restore the following appears..." Money cannot
>>locate D:\Temp\My Money.mbf or cannot open it, possibly because it is a
>>read-only ( I deselected that)
>>file or your disk drive is write protected.
>>If you have chosen the correct file and it cannot be accessed, you will need
>>to click OK and open your most recent backup file.

Oops... Before that, either open the Sample.mny file in the install
folder, or create a new file, perhaps called temp.mny with no
Passport (decline). Let the updates apply. Once Help->about shows
version 14.0.120.1105, you can then  restore your file.

> In microsoft.public.money, Cal Learner-- MVP wrote:
>
>>In microsoft.public.money, sidg wrote:
>>
>>>Help! Can't Restore my "Old" Money 2005 Backup.
>>>Windows 2000 replaced by Windows XP Home on C:\Drive. D:\Drive contains
>>>data
>>>and Backup only. PC is on a wired Home Network .
>>>
>>>I recently upgraded from Windows 2000 Pro to Windows XP Home. I wiped the
>>>C:
>>>Drive clean (formatted) and did a "Fresh" install of Windows XP Home. I
>>>reinstalled Microsoft Money 2005 Deluxe, then tried to restore my "old"
>>>2005
>>>Money Backup file (My Money Backup.mbf) from both D: Drive and USB
>>>thumbdrive. The Restore shows a default location ..."C:\Program Files \My
>>>Money.mny". When I click Restore the following appears..." Money cannot
>>>locate D:\Temp\My Money.mbf or cannot open it, possibly because it is a
>>>read-only ( I deselected that)
>>>file or your disk drive is write protected.
>>>If you have chosen the correct file and it cannot be accessed, you will
>>>need
>>>to click OK and open your most recent backup file.
>
> Oops... Before that, either open the Sample.mny file in the install
> folder, or create a new file, perhaps called temp.mny with no
> Passport (decline). Let the updates apply. Once Help->about shows
> version 14.0.120.1105, you can then  restore your file.
>

>>Do not restore to the default location. Instead, Browse to your My
>>Documents folder for the destination.

That did it!...Thanks Cal, you are an MVP indeed!
Have a great weekend!

regards,
sidg

Help, my views got messed up and "folder options" is now restricted
I have no idea what has happened here, I think vista somehow messed something up when I connected to a file share, but even that seems odd since I've been doing this for 6 months. I'm using Windows 98SE and have files shares on a LAN to a Vista 64 Home Premium machine. I can't choose "folder options" in the My Documents folder or any random subfolder. When I try to do so, I get a message "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator". I _AM_ the administrator, and there i...

Help with OWA folders
Hello Just trying to figure out what changes to make to our firewall to get Folders in Outlook Web Access to show up. Internally, and without the firewall we can log into OWA and see/do everything. From an external source, can only view messages in Inbox root. Click the Folders button does not do anything. Please help - running Exchange 2k and Win2k. Thanks "PB" <hoopitup@gmail.com> wrote in news:OM7hQ8i5FHA.2676@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl: > Just trying to figure out what changes to make to our firewall to get > Folders in Outlook Web Access to show up. > &...

Pure old history
RMS Needs a 1-Purge utilities to clean history ( old invoces,old or abandoned items,old trx ...etc). 2-mechanism to distripute sold serials to all stores (that many times customers will return the item in a defirente store ). 3-uploading supplier information from stores to HQ according to POs receiving. 4-improvment for item find in POS ( like filtering table in acces 2007). 5-customer loyality process. Most of what you are asking is available as Add-ins 1- RR Archiving Utility available 2- Not a good idea as this will grow the database in all stores and will bog down the communication. ...

Outlook 2003
I have managed to delete the Junk e-Mail folder from my Microsoft Exchange account on outlook 2003. I can't find a way to restore the folder, and the junk e-Mail filter now doesn't work, which is annoying. Any ideas? Thanks. ...

Microsoft kills 4,000 old-style newsgroups
On Fudzilla @ http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/18711/38/ Microsoft kills 4,000 old-style newsgroups Print E-mail Written by Nick Farrell Wednesday, 05 May 2010 09:25 Go to new sites you dinosaurs Microsoft is going to kill support for more than 4,000 old-style newsgroups starting next month. It said that it wants users to go to discussion forums such as those found on the Microsoft Answers, TechNet, and MSDN sites. Microsoft said that so-called NNTP newsgroups are past their time in terms of being usable and secure. In a statement Redmond said that the n...

Help! Trying to upgrade without the old CD
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Hi - Please help. I've been through several cross-country moves and three different laptops since I bought Office X a few years ago. I have the Office:mac v x welcome booklet, which has my Product Key and my ID #. I am pretty sure I registered it in my name at the time, but not 100% certain. So I bought the upgrade yesterday and can't install it because this is a different laptop. No Office loaded on this machine. The laptop with Office died a horrible death about 2 years ago. I can't find my original CD with Office on it....

Import old dos sequencial data
I have an old database that stored it's data in a sequencial format with fixed lengths for each field. As Windows 7 64-bit no longer allows the running of the database I need to access the data in another way so wish to import it to excel. I can get as far as marking the first record's field lengths but there does not seem to be a way of marking the end of the record. Instead it leaves the rest of the data in the final field! Can anyone suggest the best way of doing this? Thank you. Text to Columns, fixed length? -- Best Regards, Luke M "Rich Stone" &l...

How to automatically delete old emails from public folders
It seems that the Mailbox Management Process from Exchange does not process public folders. I use three recipients policies. one for normal mailboxes, one for special mailboxes, and one for public folders. the special mailboxes and public folders are 'marked' with a tag (extensionAttribute = days7). Both policy search for such tags and delete everything older than 7 days. This works perfectly for mailboxes but not for public folders. Has anybody some experience about that? On 14 Oct 2004 00:31:02 -0700, 14all@eclipsnet.ch (Gromit) wrote: >It seems that the Mailbox Management Proc...

Old investments still being tracked
Is there any way to remove old investments from your money file? In an older version of Money, I used that passport synch feature and it synched all stocks I was tracking at the MSN Investor Portfolio website. 3 years later, they continue to show up in reports even though I have no position in the same. On a similar not, I'm curious if most actually use this synch feature? I haven't touched it since this runaway freight train mass integration it did on my box way back when. I found it annoying. Perhaps others can enlighten me. Thank you. Env: M2K2, Win2000 J ...

how do I transfer old XP address book to new vista computer
how do I transfer old XP address book to new vista computer We have no idea what you are asking. This is an Outlook group. Outlook does not even use an address book, and there is no "XP" version of Outlook. Clarify what it is you need to do and why you think it is an Outlook question. So far, you seem to be asking about operating systems, not Outlook. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "bob" <bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:58764E1E-33F6-4958-BFE2-1835040BDC6F@microsoft.com... > how do I transfer old XP address book to new vista computer ...

old style xcel help with REAL search
i don't know what bill was thinkin' but the help-function in lates excel 2003 is far worse than it was on the earlier. the only thing i appears to be able to do is to call back to ms. e.g. - anybody know of a way of of getting back the good olde indexe search fields without downgrading to an older version of the program -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi zdoe! It's well hidden! Tools > Options > General Press "Service Options" button Category box select "Online content" Remove the check from "Show content and links from Microsof...

Deleting old email account from Outlook
Switched ISP > 6 months ago. Still receiving emails addressed to my prior email address despite fact that prior ISP says they deactivated the account at my initial request (i.e. six months ago). I've gone trough the steps of Tools/email account, deleting the account onscreen, and my computer now does not list the prior account, but yet the emails keep coming. How do I kill this prior email account. Help much appreciated. Ray <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Switched ISP > 6 months ago. Still receiving emails > addressed to my prior email addre...

How do I stop an old doc. appearing everytime I open Word?
When opening Word to create a new doc. an old document appears every time. I want to be able to open with a blank document like normal! http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/BlankDocNotBlank.htm -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Annie" <Annie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E905080C-8A2A-42EE-846F-A11D9F202E9B@microsoft.com... > When opening Word to create a new doc. an old document appears every time. > I > want to be able to open with a blank document like...

Recordsets-Old and New
I am trying to create two recordsets from a single form, one when the form is first opened and a second after updates (not entry) are entered. The first recordset, rsOpen, is defined on the form_open event: sNewVal = "Select * from tblClasses where Itemid = " & Me.ItemID Set rsOpen = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(sNewVal) ''' get orginal values The second I would like to define when a Submit button is clicked: Me.Dirty = False sNewVal = "Select * from tblClasses where Itemid = " & Me.ItemID Set rsSubmit = CurrentDb.OpenRec...

Not rcving e mails on WLM but getting them on "old" computer?
I've updated my computer also XP to Win7. E mail also. I setup my same e mail address on WLM. I'm still connected and using the OE on my XP system. Problem is: I'm not getting all the messages on my new computer with WLM? I've read and follwed al setting on my WLM. I can send e mails no problem. I sent test emails to contacts and they have shown up on my XP system but not Win7. Do I need to delete the XP system for the 7 system to work correctly or what? Thanks in advance! Assuming this is a POP3 account: If both computers are using the same e-mail address...

Win2K3 SBS - Drive C nearly full
Windows 2003 SBS all MS updates Drive C: 40GB with 5GB remaining RAIDED 250GB hard drive with Drive D: remaining Gigs In the Windows C:\ClientApps\ directory there are a lot of *.cab files (some ie4 some ie6 etc. like in C:\ClientApps\ie6). I have IEv8 on the server and it's been running for about 1 year or so. Can I delete these unneeded *.cab files without any negative implications on my Windows 2003 SBS system? TIA Do you have an Exchange Server on the C drive. If so, are your logs on it also, or on another drive. The reason I ask is that an Exchange Server, over t...

AutoArchive creates new Personal Folders object (3'rd request for help)
Using Outlook 2002 (10.3513.3501) SP-1. Whenever I run an AutoArchive, it finishes with an 'operation failed' = error, and a new folders object named 'Personal Folders' is created. The = new folder is not linked to a .PST, and is easily removed using the Data = Files dialog. However, it returns with each AutoArchive. :-( Is there a solution to the problem? I found a posting that suggested that the deletion of all the name/value = pairs of the profile's registry key might solve a similar problem. What = potential problems might result from attempting this? I'd of cour...

Setting a default advance so new slides same as old?
Using Power Point 2007. At our school we have Power Point announcements scrolling on TVs in hallways and cafeteria all day. I add a new "This Day in History" slide daily from a file I've created. I delete the slide from the day before, and add a new one from the file. The new one always needs to have the "advance" setting changed from "on mouse click" to "automatically after ___ seconds". I did not have to reset the timing with the older version of Power Point. Is there a way to set a default so I don't have to remember each d...

Open older versions of Money files with newer version of Money?
I have an older version of Money, really old, like 10 years. And when I try to open it with the Money Plus version currently on sale, I get the message that my old file has been saved with a newer version ;-) Wheras this error message is obviously an error in itself, does anyone have a suggestion? Please advise, Best regards, Markus In microsoft.public.money, Markus wrote: >I have an older version of Money, really old, like 10 years. And when I >try to open it with the Money Plus version currently on sale, I get the >message that my old file has been saved with a newer vers...

Microsoft Word 2010 Beta doesnt recognise old word files immediate
I have just installed MS Word 2010 beta. Unfortunately, existing word documents created in MS Word 2002 are not immediately recognised by MS 2010. If I first open 2010 and go to file loaction the docs will open fine. However , if i double click on a pre-existing word doc it does not know what programme to use to open it. I have tried finding the winword file to open it but get this message... ".doc is not a valid Win32 application" Is there anyway to solve this issue as it is really inconvenient to have to open Word 2010 each time and manually find the location of ...

My old appointments have disappeared why?
Have just gone to check on previous appointments for last year and anything prior to November have disappeared, any suggestions as to where they might be? Syncing with a blackberry? http://www.slipstick.com/calendar/missing_appt.asp -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM Poll:...

open older msn files with new Money 2003
I just received my new computer with MS Money 2003 loaded. I've been using Money for Windows 95. When I tried to open my files with the new version it got corrupted after the conversion. AND it also corrupted the original version! What to do? Is my past year's work down the tubes??? H E L P moneyless in Chicago! What do you mean that it also corrupted the original version? You will not be able to open the 'converted' file in the original version. But Money always saves a copy of the file prior the conversion and changes the extention to .mn* where '*' is the...

old password usable after a password change
Hi, Good day to all. I have an ADAM synchronising its proxy-user from an AD. After changing password in an XP client logon to the AD(restart or without restart), both the old and new passwords can still be used to LDP into the ADAM. 1. Though there are many DCs in my AD, replication is ruled out - as the phenomenon remains after a force replication on all the DCs. 2. AD-ADAM sync is also ruled out as I after performing a manual synchronisation (via the XML stuffs), the symtom persists. In addition, it is a proxy-user, so authentication is refered to the AD DCs, r...

Old iMac
Have attempted unsuccessfully to mass move 1200 emails from my old imac to my new imac. My problem is identifying where and what files need transferring. Can someone point me to a refernce or share some wisdom as how to do this??? ...

old backup
I use outlook 2003. I was looking for some old mails that should be hiding somewhere in an old .pst bakup. (Format presumably 97 or 2000). I hear that importing that format into my present Outlook should give trouble, is that correct? If so, is there a way to look at these old pst files and mails other than finding a computer with an old version of Outlook? jim jim3975 <3975jim@planet.nl> wrote: > I use outlook 2003. I was looking for some old mails that should be > hiding somewhere in an old .pst bakup. (Format presumably 97 or > 2000). I hear that importing that format int...