Has anyone linked MS Access and MS Money?

Greetings.

I have a registration database for a school that uses MS Access.  Our
book keeper uses Quicken, so that all the student names, addresses,
etc. needs to be entered twice.  I am thinking of migrating the
financial records to MS Money, so that we can do some VBA programming
or the like to send student data from Access to Money.  Does anyone
know if this can be done, or have any experience doing this sort of
thing?

Thanks!

Gary

0
garydave (7)
10/24/2005 2:44:36 PM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=10 in specific and
http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?cat=3 in general.

"GaryDave" <garydave@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a registration database for a school that uses MS Access.  Our
> book keeper uses Quicken, so that all the student names, addresses,
> etc. needs to be entered twice.  I am thinking of migrating the
> financial records to MS Money, so that we can do some VBA programming
> or the like to send student data from Access to Money.  Does anyone
> know if this can be done, or have any experience doing this sort of
> thing?

Dick -

Thanks for your reply.  It's too bad MS doesn't make it easier to
integrate their programs.  In fact, it sounds like there is no way to
do what I would like to do: be able to exchange data between Money and
Access.  There must be thousands of small businesses that have similar
issues - I wonder why this isn't being addressed.

I will also contact MS directly to see if there is any help there.  But
it seems clear from this newsgroup and other web research that I've
done that Money isn't very adaptable to VBA-type integration with other
Office programs, like Word/Access, or Excel/Access, automated
interfaces I have experience with and are used every day in our office.

Gary

Dick Watson wrote:
> See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=10 in specific and
> http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?cat=3 in general.
>
> "GaryDave" <garydave@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I have a registration database for a school that uses MS Access.  Our
> > book keeper uses Quicken, so that all the student names, addresses,
> > etc. needs to be entered twice.  I am thinking of migrating the
> > financial records to MS Money, so that we can do some VBA programming
> > or the like to send student data from Access to Money.  Does anyone
> > know if this can be done, or have any experience doing this sort of
> > thing?

0
garydave (7)
10/25/2005 11:20:48 PM
They don't seem to think it's a legitimate requirement for Money users.

There *are* ways you can fake it on a limited basis. MoneyLink, the QIF
tools, and careful creation of Money reports then exported to CSV file which
you can then link into Access can get some things done, but none of it easy
and all of it tedious for any ongoing purpose. Lots of data in Money is just
plain inaccessible programmatically. I've used reports to export Account
data and account register data and a lot of VBA and cunning in Access to
recreate the transaction database in Access in my own table design. But it
was an experiment only--proof of concept that there COULD be a home-rolled
life after Money--and surely not something you'd want to do on a production
basis.

> Thanks for your reply.  It's too bad MS doesn't make it easier to
> integrate their programs.  In fact, it sounds like there is no way to
> do what I would like to do: be able to exchange data between Money and
> Access.  There must be thousands of small businesses that have similar
> issues - I wonder why this isn't being addressed.
>
> I will also contact MS directly to see if there is any help there.  But
> it seems clear from this newsgroup and other web research that I've
> done that Money isn't very adaptable to VBA-type integration with other
> Office programs, like Word/Access, or Excel/Access, automated
> interfaces I have experience with and are used every day in our office.

Dick - So Money is out.  But do you - or anyone else reading this know
of a bookeeping program like Quicken/MS Money that can be
programmatically (VBA, etc.) linked to Access, in a way that would work
"on a production basis"?

Thanks for your useful replies.

Gary

0
garydave (7)
10/26/2005 5:38:57 AM
Nope.

GnuCash on Linux using MySql (I **vaguely recall** they support that as a
back end) and the MySQL ODBC connection might get you there. GnuCash
normally uses an XML data file format. You could probably get there that way
as well. Of course, GnuCash implies Linux.

In microsoft.public.money, GaryDave wrote:

>I will also contact MS directly to see if there is any help there.  But
>it seems clear from this newsgroup and other web research that I've
>done that Money isn't very adaptable to VBA-type integration with other
>Office programs, like Word/Access, or Excel/Access, automated
>interfaces I have experience with and are used every day in our office.

Moneylink, from Ultrasoft, can read data from Money to Excel.
http://www.microsoft.com/money/customers.mspx has a link.
0
NoMailTnx (131)
10/26/2005 1:48:36 PM
I unfortunately assumed that I'd be able to export from Money to an Access
database.  I only want to pull data out so that I can generate my own
reports, but I can't believe that MS does not support that conversion.  I'd
settle for going through Excel to get there, but the MoneyLink utility won't
even let me pick the data that I want to export.

How do we convince MS that this needs to be supported?...

After a long time trying, I think it's hopeless. They just plain don't care
about adding function at the "power user" end of the product.

What data are you trying to export? I've been able to get most everything
from the transactions and accounts except account (category, payee,
classification, etc.) details, loan terms, flags, payee addresses (really
that's just a payee detail), paycheck tab assignment for paycheck splits and
schedule of the scheduled transactions. LP, DRP, and BP data are harder. I
use customized reports and Export to Excel to get it to .CSV and then link
Excel to the .CSV to import this stuff into a schema I've created. Note if
you want the schema to be normalized, there is lots of work to do to flatten
the data that comes out from Money via the reports. I wrote a lot of VBA to
do this. Now I can normalize the entire transaction database including
investments and loans.

"Bo Ossinger" <BoOssinger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I unfortunately assumed that I'd be able to export from Money to an Access
> database.  I only want to pull data out so that I can generate my own
> reports, but I can't believe that MS does not support that conversion.
> I'd
> settle for going through Excel to get there, but the MoneyLink utility
> won't
> even let me pick the data that I want to export.
>
> How do we convince MS that this needs to be supported?...

I could see that I could get much of the transaction data, but most
immediately I wanted more detail on accounts.  Mostly I just want access (pun
intended) to my own data, alas...  MS has done so much with product
integration, I have to wonder why they missed the boat on this one.
Pick your reason(s):

They don't view it as a requirement for the vast majority of Money users.
The competition they are chasing doesn't do anything like that either.
They are scared about what offering it would cost them in support.
They don't think they could add it in a way that didn't make "brownout
users" think Money was more "complicated" and "difficult to use" and
"non-intuitive".

>I could see that I could get much of the transaction data, but most
> immediately I wanted more detail on accounts.  Mostly I just want access
> (pun
> intended) to my own data, alas...  MS has done so much with product
> integration, I have to wonder why they missed the boat on this one.

Quicken'04 to Money (Trial) did not transfer any transactions or balances
After going thru the install, and conversion of Q'04 to Money, Money re-created all the accounts, and on the confirmation dialogue box it reported(correctly ) the account balances that it would import. However, none of the transactions showed up, and all the account balances are equal to zero. I imported the data file, as well as attempted to bring in the QIF(but shouldn't have had to). Got an error message. Any suggestions? Pierre Since M04 doesn't support conversion of Q04 files, I'm surprised you got anything. "Yippy" <yippy@snippy.net> wrote in mes...

Problem linking the second subform to the first one
Hello, My main form’s recordsource contains work orders headers. The first subform (datasheet view) contains work order details (item records) and linked to the main form through the work order number field. I do not have problems adding/editing records in the first subform. The second subform (datasheet view) contains production records (quantity manufactured for each item in work order by date). So, the second subform linked to the first subform through the work order number and item code fields. I created the Child/Master field links on the second subform and run in On Current e...

Excel
When validating a list within a cell, is it possible to link a graphic to each list item so that when the user has selected the list item, the graphic linked to that item will be displayed??? Any ideas anyone??? Take a look at http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/lookuppics.html In article <F91F319E-07D1-4867-B977-46FCB2DBD027@microsoft.com>, "Emma" <Emma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > When validating a list within a cell, is it possible to link a graphic to > each list item so that when the user has selected the list item, the graphic > linked to ...

Access Form: No content with JOIN source
Hello NG, I have a form in Access 2003 with some Combobox and Textbox controls. The form has a SQL Stmt as Datasource (click on the dark grey in the Form and choose Properties and Data). If I choose a simple SQL stmt like "Select * From X Where ID=AAAA", where AAAA is a foreign variable, my form works. All data is displayed. If I change the SQL to a JOIN stmnt I get nothing. The form is complete blank. No Textboxes or Comboboxes are displayed. I mean: Not only the content is missing, the controls itself are missing. Do you have an idea how I could change this behavior? ...

Way to determine if an old money file was tampered with?
The transactions in an old money file may be needed to support arguments in a civil case. The file is from the mid nineties and the date time stamp on the file supports this declaration. Opposing counsel may try to call into question the validity of the file. Is there a way to get additional information out from the money file to support the fact that it is indeed from the mid nineties? Thanks much. What version can you open it with? Beyond that, probably not. I'd think the best bet would be to prove that an exact copy exists that was made in that time period and was then sealed awa...

access or excel template for pricing comparison between companies.
looking for a template to compare 4 co's pricing based on a select criteria. Can be either excel or access. Would like a sheet that prints out for the customer showing the results. -- coop Hello Coop, I would like to offer to build the Access database you need. I provide fee-based help for Access, Excel and Word applications. My fee to help you would be very modest. If you would like to work together, email me at my address below. Steve santus@penn.com "coop" <coop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CFBACF9B-FC4E-472E-97F9-9B2A9...

M2007 Money Link to Excel
Will there be a Money Link to Excel for M2007? Is it available now, or will it be released later? Thanks. --ron --ron I just checked the ultrasoft site and there is no hint of M07 support. I will not commit to M07 without MoneyLink, so here's hoping it will release soon. "Ron Rosenfeld" <ronrosenfeld@nospam.org> wrote in message news:8ag4c21cte39gnjign53of27vlnttsnlv5@4ax.com... > Will there be a Money Link to Excel for M2007? > > Is it available now, or will it be released later? It usually comes out a few weeks after the product. One year I think it w...

Any Way to Run Access Function in Separate Process?
We have a modal dialog in an Access application, that upon confirmation goes out and does about 25 minutes of queries and then puts the result on the clipboard. This long processing period locks the user out from the rest of the application. We want to find a way to have this 25 minutes of data gathering run in the background without blocking the user from interacting with other parts of the application. Is there any way to launch the function that takes so long to run in a separate process space, so that it doesn't lock up the application while it runs? We would obviously n...

Programmatically accessing the diagram pane of the Query Design view
Hello all, Is it possible to programmatically access the diagram pane of the Query Design view? I have some queries that have as many as 12 tables in the diagram pane. I would like to be able to size and arrange these tables programmatically so everything looks nice and neat. Thanks for any help anyone can provide, Conan Kelly I'm not aware of any method, but then I don't see the need for one either. No one else should see your queries: they should be using forms for all their interactions with the database. And all that really matters is the SQL that's generated for...

Upgrading to Money 2004 #4
My wife and I would like to upgrade to Money 2004, but we we like to start off our account registers without the historical register data going back to 1999. If we upgrade can we do so without have to bring forward all of our old account register info? Sure. It just depends on how much work you want to do. You can start a brand new file (File|New) but will have to recreate all of the account information, any investment information, and so on. The alternate involves archiving--which for lots of reasons I don't recommend--or deleting lots of transactions and setting new starting bal...

Office Help and Embeded links
Strange problem on one machine. Help files work, however, like the show all link or any of the other links that show up, clicking on them does nothing. All other machines are working with not problem, just this one. Uninstall/reinstall does not work. It is not the customer feedback problem or the default browser. Any ideas? ...

Money on two computers.
How do you keep the information up to date without entering it 2x. I have a wireless network for the net. tia heshey wrote: > How do you keep the information up to date without entering it 2x. I have a > wireless network for the net. tia Keep your file on a portable hard drive or memory stick instead of on either of the computers. B. I assume you have a laptop and a desktop networked together, with MSMoney installed on both. Since the two computers are networked, you can keep your Money file (that is, your data--.mny file) on a shared folder on your desktop. To access that fi...

Connectnig My Access Database (2002) to Excel 2002
I am simply trying to run my query in excel from an access table. So far I have the following: With ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add(Connection:= _ "ODBC;DRIVER=(What is the driver I should eb using?); (What other parameters do I need here?), Destination:=Range("A1")) Thanx! See your other thread -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm "Tangier" <nitinhemmady@gmail.com> wrote in message news:97703823-d471-46f1-a9cf-4585c4d7a0c2@m44g2000hsc.googlegroups.com... >I am simply trying to run my query in excel from an access table...

Updating Links Option
When I get the message "This workbook contains links to other data sources" I can't imagine what "other data" they are referring to. How can I find out the source of this "other data" Thanks in advance Dave When I can't find links, I'll use Bill Manville's FindLink program: http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm It does a much better job searching for them than I can do. Dave wrote: > > When I get the message "This workbook contains links to other data sources" > I can't imagine what "other data" they are...

Operator[] overloaded but how to access it as pointer?
hi all, I Overloaded the operator [] : double &operator[](DWORD); double &Classname::operator[](DWORD p) { return m_array[p]; } The problem is , I need to know how to access the operator if I yust have a pointer to the object. I want do something like the following : Classname* pObj; pObj = new Classname(); double test = pObj[0]; // that doesnt work , is there any possiblity to realize that? thanks a lot cheers Filip How about (*pObj)[0] -- Hank Williams Quantum Technologies, Inc. HaWilliams(at)spamcop.net "Filip Lyncker" <lyncker@gmx.de> wrot...

Embedded Link error message
When I click on an embedded link in an e-mail message in Outlook 2003 I receive the following message. "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions on this computer. Please contact your system adminstrator." Since I am the only user of this computer I am the adminstrator. The operating system is Windows XP home edition. I need to know how to get rid of this message and allow the link to work correctly. ...

'Unable to find a link between row format (XXX) and its parent format (YYY)
I keep getting this error message even though I don't have any of the row formats linked. No matter what changes I make, I still get the error. I'm using a very simple tree - 3 detail units rolling up to one summary unit. The report runs just fine when i only have one row format in the tree. As soon as I add another, I get this error. HELP! :) Frank Bump it up. ...

Bond with Level Repayments...can MS Money handle this?
I can't see that any of the defined bonds fit this description..is there some way this can be entered? The bond (it's really called a lease) is purchased at it's face value with a rate of 2.89% The buyer also pays a broker fee of 1.494% at the time of purchase. The bond is repaid in 6 equal payments. The date of purchase was Aug 20, 2003 and the first payment to the bond holder is made on December 1,2003, with 5 additional equal payments every 6 months. Each payment consists of interest to which is added a portion of principal to make the payment amounts equal. Any ide...

Restricting Internet Email Access
I'm still setting up my Exchange 2003 server in a W2K3 domain running in native mode. This is a very simple configuration with a single DC and a single Exchange server. I am looking at using an SMTP relay out in our DMZ and keeping the Exchange server behind the firewall. My problem is I need to allow some users to send and receive email only within the company while other users need the ability to send and receive mail both internally and externally. Any suggestions on how to achieve this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Keith Hi, 1. Click "Start", point to "...

A program is trying to access email addresses you have stored in Outlook
I have jsut installed OfficeXP pro on WinXP Pro. When I reply to a mail, I get this message: "A program is trying to access email addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do you allow this? If this is euexpected, it may be a virus, you should choose no. etc etc." I have tried but to no avial to determine which program is doing that and if it is a valid program. Does anyone has this experience or do anyone know how to find out what program it is that is doing that? Thanks. Outlook 2002 SP3 adds additional properties to the list of those that are affected by the security features...

Cannot login into OWA 2003 Sp2. After 3 time login I get access denied. Insufficient permissions.
I installed at several customers of mine a SBS 2003 server with exchange for OWA solutions and several common Exchangeservers 2003 (SP2) at other customers. I also installed at my home address a Exchange Server (2003 SP2) on a Win2K3 Machine. When I try to access from my home address (Default ADSL) to one of my customers, I get no errors. When I try to access from one of my bigger customers (with ISA server), I can get OWA from my home address, but not from my other customers. The same error comes up insufficient permissions. Have to logon 3 times and cannot connect. The left window pane with...

Sounds in Money 2006
I recently downloaded Money 2006 Premium and everything seems to work fine except I have no sounds at all. There is not even an entry in the 'change sounds' selection for any Money sounds while they were all ther in the 2005 version. Does anyone know how to get the sounds back? The download version does not include the audio or multimedia components of the retail version. Now, the question is, is it possible to get the sounds? I don't know. -- "Gary Mertl" <Gary Mertl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E3349079-1735-4F54-A237-F4DD742D53D4@mi...

IE Bombs when accessing sites as standard (non-admin) user on Win2
I have a situation where IE is quitting instantly when a user that isn't in Domain Admins tries accessing any website (internal or external). Server is 2003 Terminal Services with SP2 Client doesn't appear to matter Symptoms: Normal user double-clicks IE which opens, then immediately closes. This is occurring on 5 out of 8 servers in a TS farm! I've found that if I set the default home page to "about:blank" IE opens fine, but as soon as I try to access *any* page at all, it closes instantly. o No errors that I can see in any of the Event Logs. o I...

Access in Japanese
Hi, I have a Win2K machine. Because of customer requirements, I have 2 versions of MS Access in it. MS Acces97 and MS Access2K. I had applied both Windows & Office2K Japanese language pack. I have many Japansese Access 97 mdb files. I am able to see the Japanese fonts in Access97 but not able to view in Access2000. I tried to convert the Access97 databases to Access2K but the result remains. Are there any solutions/ways that I need to apply in order to view the Access97 mdb in Access2K. Kinda of strange. Am seeking help urgently. ...

Cannot restore a backup file from MS money 2004 deluxe
I have tried opening and restoring the file, nothing happens. I've uninstalled and reinstalled with no success!!! Has this happened to anyone before?? If so, did you correct the problem? How?? Thanks, Mike In microsoft.public.money, Mike Schenk wrote: >I have tried opening and restoring the file, nothing >happens. I've uninstalled and reinstalled with no >success!!! Was the *.mbf file saved with Money 2004? Are you using File->Restore to restore? > >Has this happened to anyone before?? If so, did you >correct the problem? How?? ...