Getting Rid of Mis-named Investment from Online Statement

A sticky one here, folks:  How do I get rid of a mis-named investment that
appears in one of my online statements?

I have several investment accounts that contain Microsoft Corporation stock.
 I have an Investment in MS Money named "Microsoft Corp" with the stock
symbol MSFT.  When I connect online, these accounts are updated with the
current price of Microsoft stock.  That works fine.

However whenever I receive online updates for one of these accounts and go
to update it, Money indicates there is a line in the statement for "Microsoft
Stock".  The number of shares matches the number of shares of "Microsoft
Corp" that are already in the account.
   * If I respond "No I'll make adjustments myself", I get the same
notifcation of the need to add these shares every time I run online updates.
And I have to manually select the No option each time (very annoying, and I'm
worried I'll forget some time and will accidentally leave it at the default
"Make the adjustments" with the results in the next bullet).
   * If I approve the automatic adjustment Money wants to make, then I wind
up with X shares of "Microsoft Corp" AND X shares of "Microsoft Stock" --
double the correct number of shares in the account (confirmed in paper
statements and when viewing the account balances at the brokerages web site).
 Oddly, it does not adjust the "Microsoft Corp" total even though it should
not appear in the list of investments on the statement.

I have tried to "Rename" both of the accounts, but I always get the message
that there is another account using the same name (or stock symbol) and so it
can't be renamed.  I tried to Merge the investments, but they do not appear
on the "Merge your duplicate accounts" list.

I don't want to just leave it the way it is, because there is no stock
symbol associated with the "Microsoft Stock" investment.  That means the
value does not automatically update when all other prices do.  I have to wait
until the next time I update statements to get a current price, and so I
don't have an accurate view of the value of my portfolio in the interim.

How can I fix this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Bill
0
Bill7393 (298)
2/18/2006 7:09:27 AM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

In microsoft.public.money, Bill wrote:

>How can I fix this problem?

Assuming this is Fidelity, this item is known. Perhaps you can
encourage Fidelity to fix it. In the mean time, you best workaround
is to let Money think this is a different security, and enter the
quotes by hand.
0
via_newsgroup (13114)

> Assuming this is Fidelity, this item is known.

Can you elaborate on the Fidelity issue?

I have an irritation when downloading from Fidelity NetBenefits, because the
download doesn't include the symbol. My workaround is to revise the
investment name to match exactly that as downloaded WITHOUT the symbol.

When I review the downloaded transactions from the account WITH the symbol,
it matches on the symbol but asks confirmation that it's the same stock.
That's because the description differs. I answer yes, but that does not
revise the description in Money.

When I review the downloaded transactions from the account WITHOUT the
symbol, it matches on description. That's why I revised the description in
Money to match exactly the description downloaded without the symbol. From
there, the process is the same.

The aggravation is that it's necessary but, if you answer yes to the
matching confirmation question, everything works okay.

Is this the same problem?

0
spam_magnet (1210)
2/18/2006 4:47:12 PM
In microsoft.public.money, Chris Cowles wrote:

>"Cal Learner-- MVP" <via_newsgroup@please.tnx> wrote in message
>>
>> Assuming this is Fidelity, this item is known.
>
>Can you elaborate on the Fidelity issue?
>
>I have an irritation when downloading from Fidelity NetBenefits, because the
>download doesn't include the symbol. My workaround is to revise the
>investment name to match exactly that as downloaded WITHOUT the symbol.
>
>When I review the downloaded transactions from the account WITH the symbol,
>it matches on the symbol but asks confirmation that it's the same stock.
>That's because the description differs. I answer yes, but that does not
>revise the description in Money.
>
>When I review the downloaded transactions from the account WITHOUT the
>symbol, it matches on description. That's why I revised the description in
>Money to match exactly the description downloaded without the symbol. From
>there, the process is the same.
>
>The aggravation is that it's necessary but, if you answer yes to the
>matching confirmation question, everything works okay.

I think that if you just let the names differ and once say they are
not the same, then you will not have the question each time. On the
other hand, if Fidelity NetBenefits gets things straightened up,
then your method might have been most worthwhile, because Money
would still have been remembering that you say they are the same
investment.

>Is this the same problem?

Yes. I don't have it myself, but I have talked to people who have
the problem. The problem stems from them using a fake CUSIP
(identifying number) in that retirement account download.
http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dictionary/DictionaryResults.aspx?refid=561546798
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUSIP

0
via_newsgroup (13114)

> I think that if you just let the names differ and once say they are
> not the same, then you will not have the question each time.

But aren't they the same? Should I not want to track performance of that
stock in aggregate?

0
spam_magnet (1210)
2/18/2006 5:24:08 PM
In microsoft.public.money, Chris Cowles wrote:

>"Cal Learner-- MVP" <via_newsgroup@please.tnx> wrote in message
>>
>> I think that if you just let the names differ and once say they are
>> not the same, then you will not have the question each time.
>
>But aren't they the same? Should I not want to track performance of that
>stock in aggregate?

They are the same. Yes, you should want to track performance of that
stock in aggregate? I was suggesting that Bill could work around
doing the extra work you do when you download from Fidelity
NetBenefits. If Bill can handle the work, then what he is doing is a
productive workaround.

We can encourage Fidelity NetBenefits to produce good data. We can
encourage Microsoft to deal with bad data. At this point the
Fidelity NetBenefits customers can work around this as best they
can. Neither workaround is ideal.

Does this Fidelity NetBenefits thing affect you directly?
0
via_newsgroup (13114)

> Does this Fidelity NetBenefits thing affect you directly?

Yes

0
spam_magnet (1210)
2/18/2006 5:47:30 PM
Thanks for the suggestions and additional discussion.  You're correct, it
does relate specifically to Fidelity NetBenefits.  It's a real annoyance to
have to deal with it as an unknown stock that I have to manually update, but
if that's the best solution I'll have to live with it.

So, I take it that I should accept Money's offer to add X shares of
Microsoft Stock.  But what's the right way to get rid of the duplicated
Microsoft Corp shares -- should I just do a Remove Shares on them?

I am also curious about the other side of this problem:  When Money updates
the account and finds an item (the shares  of Microsoft Corp) in the account
that is NOT on the statement, then why does it allow it to remain?  Allowing
those share to remain means the account and statement do NOT agree!  That
would seem to be a reportable bug.

Thanks again!

Bill

"Chris Cowles" wrote:

> "Cal Learner-- MVP" <via_newsgroup@please.tnx> wrote in message
> >
> > Does this Fidelity NetBenefits thing affect you directly?
>
> Yes

0
Bill7393 (298)
2/20/2006 5:55:10 AM
In microsoft.public.money, Bill wrote:

>Thanks for the suggestions and additional discussion.  You're correct, it
>does relate specifically to Fidelity NetBenefits.  It's a real annoyance to
>have to deal with it as an unknown stock that I have to manually update, but
>if that's the best solution I'll have to live with it.
>
>So, I take it that I should accept Money's offer to add X shares of
>Microsoft Stock.  But what's the right way to get rid of the duplicated
>Microsoft Corp shares -- should I just do a Remove Shares on them?

I think the way it will end up is that you will create a security
called perhaps "Microsoft NetBenefits Clone". You will change all
Buys and Sells in that 401(k) account, including the old
transactions to that one. As often as you want, perhaps monthly,
update the price manually for the clone.

On the other hand, if your current method is livable ( say it is the
same security each time you download), there can be some advantages
to that. So I don't think there is a solitary "right" way that you
can implement at your end.

>I am also curious about the other side of this problem:  When Money updates
>the account and finds an item (the shares  of Microsoft Corp) in the account
>that is NOT on the statement, then why does it allow it to remain?  Allowing
>those share to remain means the account and statement do NOT agree!  That
>would seem to be a reportable bug.

Money will compare the amount of some security the statement says
you have to what it thinks you have for that security in that
account. It does not get concerned about some security it thinks you
have in the account, but that was not included in the statement
download.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)

Tracking invested sums
Hello, WinXP, using Money 2007. Is there a way of entering an amount I transfered to my mutual fund without categorizing it as expense but as an investment amount? My goal is to keep track of the amount I've got to invest along the year. Thanks -Christian The typical way is to create an Investment Account and use the Special Transaction Buy Investment/CD. That "category" will ask about what Investment (and let you define the Investment--as, say, a Mutual Fund with symbol "UMBIX" or whatever) and what Investment Account holds the Investment (you created the ac...

SQL to get sales by Supplier
I would like to get output of total sales by supplier via SQL with output like: Supplier Name Sales --------------- -------------- If the sales can be formatted like #,###.##, that would be great. Can someone assist with the SQL query? I could also use the date and time of the output in the SQL output (FYI, I am using OSQL to output this data to a .txt file). "Jason" <microsoft.public.pos@natureisle.com> wrote in message news:u$fltYFFIHA.4880@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... >I would like to get output of total sales by supplier via SQL with output >like: &g...

Match Account ID from combining street names and numbers
In one sheet, have a column with a street number (A): 115 in Column B, have a street name: Northwest. In workbook 2, have an additional street number column(C), and a street name column(D), and a 5th column with an account number, column (E) I need to find the account number in workbook 2 for a combination of street number,and street name found on the given row from the first workbook. There can be many street numbers on the same street, but only the combination of the desired number and called for street should return a value. Desired combinations are always found on the same row ...

The ability to set the naming convention for EFT files.
Some banks have limits on the length of the file name that can be submitted for EFT. With the new naming convention the file names are all to long. Can you devise a method for setting the namin converntion. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www....

If Statement Overwhelm Part Ii
Hi, I have a sinking feeling this one may be impossible but let's see. have a ROW of data (actually about 240 rows) that I want an IF THE function to test for various things. There are so many tests and signals that I' not sure if an IF THEN is the right kung fu, but I'm sure Pete o another Excel master will know. Here is the project: Here are the tests and corresponding signals that I want Excel t "say". The values in the row of data will be referred to as "the ratio" in th following, the data is organized from left to right by date, i.e. cel B2's ...

How do I get text to continue from one text box to another on pag
I am working on a course catalog. I have text boxes on each page and need the text to flow from one page to another. How do I do this? Some pages are already doing it. I have taken over a previous catalog to update. Thanks:) What version Publisher? This article shows you graphically how to link text boxes, it is a 2003 Office article but the principle is the same in most all versions of Publisher. About connecting text boxes http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP030717461033.aspx -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsof...

How do I change my business name in Money 2007?
I installed Money 2007 and initially put in a business name that I'm trying to change now. I click on Business, and I go to Account settings and I change the name there. This changes it everywhere except for on the invoices that I print. The template's placeholder for <<company name>> is still putting what I had originally put in there. Where do I change this!? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! How about in the Invoice Designer that gets installed along with M2007? -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http...

Get char array from Bitmap...
Hi, is there a way to obtain a device indipendent image ( for example in array of char /byte )?I need this because I want to send the image to a remote client that is not an mfc/VC++ program. I'm tryng with something like that in the sender: /---------------------------------------------------/ char* buffer2; dim=(width*height)*2;//16 bit buffer2=new char[dim]; int p=Bmp.GetBitmapBits( dim , buffer2 ); /---------------------------------------------------/ And in the receiver I'll use setBitmapBits... So I'm working with an DDB. I'm newbye of Bitmap working, so I don't ...

Getting Relayed and can't stop it. Please help.
Hello, Running 5.5, sp4 on NT 4.0 sp6a. I have 300 users with 50 of them being POP (we are converting them to full server side mail) using Outlook 2K and 2002. Getting lots of complaints from users who state they're getting NDR's with their address from users they know nothing about. I have about 100 messages in the IMC queue each morning with the typical <> that I just delete. Routing tab is set to route to internal domain (works fine). Under routing restrictions, nothing is checked at this time. I was told if I check 'Hosts and clients that successfully authenicate...

name ranges #2
Hi, Sheet2 has the formula: =VLOOKUP($B$3,Sheet1!$B$2:$D$15,2,FALSE) in cell c8 How can I use a range name (names-1 for example) that refers to: Sheet1 range B2:B15 in a way that i have a small arrow beside cell B3 that show all the names in the range (names-1)? Please give us more detail, this question is not clear. What does VLOOKUP have to do with the range names and what do you mean by the names in the range names-1. And what do you mean by a small arrow which shows the names? -- If this helps, please click the Yes button. Cheers, Shane Devenshire "Khalil Handal"...

pasting row to another workbook prompts because same defined name exists in new book
I have a set of weekly spreadsheets, all the same except for the dat that is entered onto them. What we ned to do is cut and paste lines from last weeks workbook int this weeks one. The problem is I have set up data validation on one o the columns based on a list of names, and so now it prompts ever singl time we try to paste into the new workbook, because the same define name 'tradelist' is in the new sheet. is there any way I can stop this prompt somehow because tis driving u mad and taking up time clicking yes or not (when it makes no differenc if we click yes OR no because its e...

Name
Hi, I need to use Name to define 3 discount rates. This needs to be done so that when the user of the spreadsheet enters "discount 1" it gives a value of 10%, "Discount 2" gives a value of 12% and "Discount 3" gives a value of 17.5%. Using Name I have managed to get it so that they enter for example " =Discount_1 " it gives a value of 10% but I want it so that when they enter "Discount 1" they get 10%. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly f...

Getting an semi accurate forecast
Think retail sales....I have data from last 2 years of monthly sales, and I am looking for a formula that would take into effect increases or decreases in sales trends year to year but also the month to month trend and the end result would be the forecast of upcoming months sales based on these trends. My feelings are that current trends in increases or decreases should carry more weight than say this April to last April. What I am trying to say is that say Last year to this year growth only shows 2% but since I took over the last couple months have shown increases anywhere from 4 to 8 percent...

Hey PUTZKE - Ex Ill Gov Blagoievich Guilty of False Statements to FBI
Just FYI. Now it's your turn to post the same thing! Just FYI. ...

Remove the opportunity name field from form
I try to remove the opportunity name field from the opporunity form. I have set the attribute properties to 'no constraint', but I still get a lock Icon before the field on the form. Any ideas what might be locking this (it will be something standard, because we never used this field) and what we can do about it? Regards, Freek The name field is the Primary Attribute of the opportunity and therefore it is locked. You can see that when you open the Opportunity in the customizations area and view the second tab "Primary Attribute". I'm not sure but I don't thi...

Emails over 1mb keep getting sent over and over and are stuck in the outbox.
I am having a problem were emails with attachements - about 800k and higher - keep getting sent out over and over. It only stops when I delete the email from my outbox. It seems like the email is sent, but remains in the outbox and just keeps on sending away. Anyone have any ideas? I recently upgraded my virus software from PC Cillin 2002 to the latest version. I do have the scan outgoing emails feature turned on. If you disable mail scanning, does it go out? jesse wrote: > I am having a problem were emails with attachements - > about 800k and higher - keep getting sent ...

Multiple domain name and multiple SMTP virtual server
Presently, my Exchange 2003 server holds mailboxes of four internet domain names. I have only one default smtp virtual server. Everything works fine. I have set "Send a copy of NDR" to a local mailbox. Therefore all non-existing user's mails of ALL domain reaches to this single mailbox. Is it possible to designate a separate mailbox for each domain? I found an article in Microsoft site, explaining to create separate smtp virtual server for each domain. Should I have to create smtp virtual server only for this purpose? Is there any workaround? TIA J Justin In order to creat...

can't set up online services for downloading account information
I have Microsoft Money 2002 and have been able to download my account information for several credit cards without using the "Set up online services" function, but Discover Card requires use of that function to initiate downloads. Bu whenever I try to do that for any credit card I get a window briefly saying that Microsoft is downloading information from my financial institution, but then I get an error message: "Money cannot complete a required online call at this time. Please check your Internet connection settings and try again." I have a broadband DSL connect...

Chart Axis naming question
When you set up a chart in Excel, you can format the axis' size, decimal point, etc. Is there anyway that you can add text into the axis title instead of it being just the numerical value? So, for instance, if my line chart has the Y axis with a scale of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, is there anyway I can format the access to say 1 - Expert, 2 - Advanced, etc??? i know that I can move the chart into Powerpoint and put a text box down the axis, but I was hoping there may be a way do just do that in Excel. Thanks!! Hi, Have a look at Jon's page on creating arbitrary axis scale. http://pelti...

get an average of 3 cells, if they all have numbers, in excel.
In excel I need to average 3 cells, only if they all contain a number. and if they don't contain a number, don't display an error. "rudyjudy" <rudyjudy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > In excel I need to average 3 cells, only if they all contain a number. > and if they don't contain a number, don't display an error. =IF(COUNT(A1,B2,C3)=3, AVERAGE(A1,B2,C3), "") Unfortunately, you will not see this response unless you use a different NG interface, e.g. Google Groups or a newsreader that access the MSnews server, msnews.microsof...

INSERT INTO Table, values derived in code from separating a name
Hi, I have a field called [Contact Name] which is the result of a combo box. On not in list the user is asked if the name they enter is too be added to the list. The name is separated into two strings "str1l" and "str2" in code form a module as the function is called up from the not in List on the Combo box. str1 is FIRST_NAME str2 is LAST_NAME The fields in tblCUSTCONTACTS are "FIRST_NAME" and "LAST_NAME" Now I wish to INSERT into the tblCUSTCONTACTS the two strings. strsql = "INSERT INTO [tblCUSTCONTACTS] " _ ...

version differences in excel 2007
I have a large workbook in excel 2003 which uses an embedded lookup macro to report certain data by date. works well. I now need to run this workbook in excel 2007, and have some problems. - I get the range label error, although all ranges are defined names. - lookup is across multiple ranges, either as a vlookup, or as and 'intersection' between defined range names. - If I try to run it in my Student/Home version (at home), the macro will not load or run. If I run it in the Enterprise version (at work), it runs though slowly. If I run it in Office Mac2008, it won'...

Offset and If Statements
Hi All. I am using an Offset forumula to bring back data in a rank ordered format. I am using the following formula, which is working fine: =OFFSET($V$1,MATCH(ROW()-1,LocationRankList,0),-2) However, the file that this is in is going to be used as a template, for an automated workbook (to be used with many different sets of data). On other occasions though the list (locationranklist) will be shorter than on the original one. Where data is then not included (because the list is shorter) it brings back a zero. i do not want to be able to see zero's as charts are being produced fro...

Keep getting prompts for a saved pst backup that I lated zipped and deleted original of??
I exported a folder, or perhaps the calendar, a couple of days ago to a pst file backup on my desktop. After closing O2K, I zipped up the file and deleted the original file and took the zip backup home. This is something I've done many times without a hitch. This time around, O2K keeps prompting at odd times during the day for this pst file and when I cancel on the box, it opens up a browse box to travel to the deleted pst file. This is very odd and has never happened to me before. Is there a way to fix this, pls? Thanks. :oD StargateFanFromWork <NoSpam@NoJunk.com> wr...

temporary file names via Get-Date
The "PowerTip of the Day" article at http://app.en25.com/e/es.aspx?s=1403&e=2867&elq=8322eea60ce14904acb144f2ae454b60 displayed this code to generate temporary file names PS C:> (Get-Date -format 'yyyy-MM-dd hh-mm-ss') + '.tmp' 2010-03-18 09-48-08.tmp I recoded it to do it this way PS C:> (Get-Date).Ticks.ToString() + '.tmp' 634045027709549764.tmp Now suppose I later wanted to turn that "634045027709549764" back into a legible date-time expression like "2010-03-18 09-48-08". Is that possible? ...