funds transfer to another account.

I'm in the process of setting up Money+ Deluxe for the first time.  So far so
good considering I'm a newbie to using any kind of personal finance software
and thick as a brick when it comes to accounting.  So please bear with me and
please type slowly...

I have two separate chequing accounts at my bank with one set up
specifically for me to dump money into and to have mortgage payments
automatically withdrawn from.  I've been doing this for years at my bank and
I've setup the same accounts in Money the same way.  ie: check1 & check2
I have all transactions to date from Jan of this year entered and am
currently in the ~tedious~ process of going through each transaction
verifying against my bank statements and assigning to categories.  I've
"accepted" the transactions once they're complete but haven't reconciled
anything yet as some transactions really have me stymied as to how to
categorize them so that they don't throw my reports out of whack.

Ordinarily, at the bank I transfer money from Check1 to Check2; VISA; etc.
How do I categorize a transfer from Check1 to Check2 so that it doesn't
appear in reports as an extra expense and income (in the Check2 acc't).
It balances but, for example in Reports it shows that I'm spending twice on
the mortgage than I actually am.  Actually, a bit more as I generally
transfer a few dollars more to cover fees and to maintain a small balance in
check2.

I realize that this may be more of an accounting question than one for this
forum but any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA!
0
Miguel29 (9)
4/29/2008 10:33:02 PM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

Use Advanced Register and the Transfer "special category" of transaction.
Transfer takes a "subcategory" of the other account in the transaction and
shows up in both registers. Transfer is neither Income nor Expense so it
doesn't look like Spending. So, you would put a transaction of category
Transfer : Checking2 in the Checking1 account register. The same thing is
true for Transfer : VISA Account in the Checking2 register when paying the
VISA Account. Transfer is VERY HANDY. You will use it A LOT.

Along the same lines, DELETE the Expense Category "Credit Card Payments /
Transfer". It is useless and is just there to confuse savvy users like
yourself and confuse the meaning of the much more useful Special Category
Transfer.

If you are looking in the Category pull-down, look at the very bottom under
Special Categories.

As to your case with fees, again, in Advanced Register, you can "split" a
transaction into multiple components. Say you could enter a $1020.00
transaction in Checking1 that was "split" into a $1,000.00 Transfer :
Vanguard Investments and $20.00 Miscellaneous : Fees with a Memo of "wire
transfer fee". And so it goes.

Pop back if this doesn't make sense. Or play with it and then pop back.

Oh, and turn off all of the Essential stuff. It's just training wheels. At
best.

"Miguel29" <Miguel29@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ordinarily, at the bank I transfer money from Check1 to Check2; VISA; etc.
> How do I categorize a transfer from Check1 to Check2 so that it doesn't
> appear in reports as an extra expense and income (in the Check2 acc't).
> It balances but, for example in Reports it shows that I'm spending twice
> on
> the mortgage than I actually am.  Actually, a bit more as I generally
> transfer a few dollars more to cover fees and to maintain a small balance
> in
> check2.

DELETE the Expense Category "Credit Card Payments / Transfers".

message news:eQIdxdlqIHA.2520@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Use Advanced Register and the Transfer "special category" of transaction.
> Transfer takes a "subcategory" of the other account in the transaction and
> shows up in both registers. Transfer is neither Income nor Expense so it
> doesn't look like Spending. So, you would put a transaction of category
> Transfer : Checking2 in the Checking1 account register. The same thing is
> true for Transfer : VISA Account in the Checking2 register when paying the
> VISA Account. Transfer is VERY HANDY. You will use it A LOT.
>
> Along the same lines, DELETE the Expense Category "Credit Card Payments /
> Transfer". It is useless and is just there to confuse savvy users like
> yourself and confuse the meaning of the much more useful Special Category
> Transfer.
>
> If you are looking in the Category pull-down, look at the very bottom
> under Special Categories.
>
> As to your case with fees, again, in Advanced Register, you can "split" a
> transaction into multiple components. Say you could enter a $1020.00
> transaction in Checking1 that was "split" into a $1,000.00 Transfer :
> Vanguard Investments and $20.00 Miscellaneous : Fees with a Memo of "wire
> transfer fee". And so it goes.
>
> Pop back if this doesn't make sense. Or play with it and then pop back.
>
> Oh, and turn off all of the Essential stuff. It's just training wheels. At
> best.
>
> "Miguel29" <Miguel29@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Ordinarily, at the bank I transfer money from Check1 to Check2; VISA;
>> etc.
>> How do I categorize a transfer from Check1 to Check2 so that it doesn't
>> appear in reports as an extra expense and income (in the Check2 acc't).
>> It balances but, for example in Reports it shows that I'm spending twice
>> on
>> the mortgage than I actually am.  Actually, a bit more as I generally
>> transfer a few dollars more to cover fees and to maintain a small balance
>> in
>> check2.

Okay.  I've read about and found the "special category" area.  So that's the
way to go, huh? Seems to make sense as this is my second go around with this
product (the first was with M Ess (I get the "special" abbreviation now)).
Now, how do I categorize the corresponding "income" (not really income; it's
a transfer) in the other account?  Will Money somehow connect the dots?

Also, I'd thought that the "Credit Card Payments/Transfer" category might be
good for exactly what it alludes to... you say no, huh?

Thanks for the help.  Now cover me... I'm going back in.  ;)
Seriously, thank you for the quick reply!

"Dick Watson" wrote:

> Use Advanced Register and the Transfer "special category" of transaction.
> Transfer takes a "subcategory" of the other account in the transaction and
> shows up in both registers. Transfer is neither Income nor Expense so it
> doesn't look like Spending. So, you would put a transaction of category
> Transfer : Checking2 in the Checking1 account register. The same thing is
> true for Transfer : VISA Account in the Checking2 register when paying the
> VISA Account. Transfer is VERY HANDY. You will use it A LOT.
>
> Along the same lines, DELETE the Expense Category "Credit Card Payments /
> Transfer". It is useless and is just there to confuse savvy users like
> yourself and confuse the meaning of the much more useful Special Category
> Transfer.
>
> If you are looking in the Category pull-down, look at the very bottom under
> Special Categories.
>
> As to your case with fees, again, in Advanced Register, you can "split" a
> transaction into multiple components. Say you could enter a $1020.00
> transaction in Checking1 that was "split" into a $1,000.00 Transfer :
> Vanguard Investments and $20.00 Miscellaneous : Fees with a Memo of "wire
> transfer fee". And so it goes.
>
> Pop back if this doesn't make sense. Or play with it and then pop back.
>
> Oh, and turn off all of the Essential stuff. It's just training wheels. At
> best.
>
> "Miguel29" <Miguel29@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ordinarily, at the bank I transfer money from Check1 to Check2; VISA; etc.
> > How do I categorize a transfer from Check1 to Check2 so that it doesn't
> > appear in reports as an extra expense and income (in the Check2 acc't).
> > It balances but, for example in Reports it shows that I'm spending twice
> > on
> > the mortgage than I actually am.  Actually, a bit more as I generally
> > transfer a few dollars more to cover fees and to maintain a small balance
> > in
> > check2.

0
Miguel29 (9)
4/30/2008 1:17:00 AM
er... one more quick question:  If I "accept" a transaction in one account is
that it?  It's written in stone and cannot be undone?  I'm using the Advanced
register.

"Miguel29" wrote:

> Okay.  I've read about and found the "special category" area.  So that's the
> way to go, huh? Seems to make sense as this is my second go around with this
> product (the first was with M Ess (I get the "special" abbreviation now)).
> Now, how do I categorize the corresponding "income" (not really income; it's
> a transfer) in the other account?  Will Money somehow connect the dots?
>
> Also, I'd thought that the "Credit Card Payments/Transfer" category might be
> good for exactly what it alludes to... you say no, huh?
>
> Thanks for the help.  Now cover me... I'm going back in.  ;)
> Seriously, thank you for the quick reply!
>
> "Dick Watson" wrote:
>
> > Use Advanced Register and the Transfer "special category" of transaction.
> > Transfer takes a "subcategory" of the other account in the transaction and
> > shows up in both registers. Transfer is neither Income nor Expense so it
> > doesn't look like Spending. So, you would put a transaction of category
> > Transfer : Checking2 in the Checking1 account register. The same thing is
> > true for Transfer : VISA Account in the Checking2 register when paying the
> > VISA Account. Transfer is VERY HANDY. You will use it A LOT.
> >
> > Along the same lines, DELETE the Expense Category "Credit Card Payments /
> > Transfer". It is useless and is just there to confuse savvy users like
> > yourself and confuse the meaning of the much more useful Special Category
> > Transfer.
> >
> > If you are looking in the Category pull-down, look at the very bottom under
> > Special Categories.
> >
> > As to your case with fees, again, in Advanced Register, you can "split" a
> > transaction into multiple components. Say you could enter a $1020.00
> > transaction in Checking1 that was "split" into a $1,000.00 Transfer :
> > Vanguard Investments and $20.00 Miscellaneous : Fees with a Memo of "wire
> > transfer fee". And so it goes.
> >
> > Pop back if this doesn't make sense. Or play with it and then pop back.
> >
> > Oh, and turn off all of the Essential stuff. It's just training wheels. At
> > best.
> >
> > "Miguel29" <Miguel29@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Ordinarily, at the bank I transfer money from Check1 to Check2; VISA; etc.
> > > How do I categorize a transfer from Check1 to Check2 so that it doesn't
> > > appear in reports as an extra expense and income (in the Check2 acc't).
> > > It balances but, for example in Reports it shows that I'm spending twice
> > > on
> > > the mortgage than I actually am.  Actually, a bit more as I generally
> > > transfer a few dollars more to cover fees and to maintain a small balance
> > > in
> > > check2.

0
Miguel29 (9)
4/30/2008 1:26:00 AM
=?Utf-8?B?TWlndWVsMjk=?= <Miguel29@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on
29 Apr 2008 in group microsoft.public.money:

> Okay.  I've read about and found the "special category" area.  So
> that's the way to go, huh? Seems to make sense as this is my second
> go around with this product (the first was with M Ess (I get the
> "special" abbreviation now)). Now, how do I categorize the
> corresponding "income" (not really income; it's a transfer) in the
> other account?  Will Money somehow connect the dots?

You don't have to worry about categorizing anything on a transfer. Both
ends of the transaction are marked "transfer" and ignored in reports
unless you turn on the option.

> Also, I'd thought that the "Credit Card Payments/Transfer" category
> might be good for exactly what it alludes to... you say no, huh?

"Credit Card Payments/Transfer", as far as I can figure out, is for
people who don't want to categorize much of anything--in which case why
are they using Money?

Here's how you categorize things with a credit card:
1. Go out to dinner. Spend $100. (Take me with you next time!)
2. Pay with your Discover card.
3. Enter a Purchase transaction of $100 in your Discover account.
Categorize it as Food:Dining Out.
4. When the bill comes, write a check. Categorize the check as
Transfer:Discover.
5. Later on, pay your water bill. Categorize the check as
Utilities:Water.

When you run reports, the purchase transaction in the Discover account
and checking account will show up, but not the ones marked as transfers.
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement
=?Utf-8?B?TWlndWVsMjk=?= <Miguel29@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on
29 Apr 2008 in group microsoft.public.money:

> er... one more quick question:  If I "accept" a transaction in one
> account is that it?  It's written in stone and cannot be undone?  I'm
> using the Advanced register.

Accept just means you acknowledge the transaction downloaded from the
bank. It's a flag so you have a chance to match it with your manually-
entered transaction. You can make any change you want to it later.

Best practice is to enter your transactions manually as you make them,
getting all the settings just right. When you download from the bank,
Money will match the downloaded data with what you've entered manually. If
Money did it right, you just click "Accept". If Money got it wrong, you
choose the Modify option, find the right transaction, then go back and
Accept it.
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement

Thanks for the reply.

"Steve" wrote:

> =?Utf-8?B?TWlndWVsMjk=?= <Miguel29@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on
> 29 Apr 2008 in group microsoft.public.money:
>
> > Okay.  I've read about and found the "special category" area.  So
> > that's the way to go, huh? Seems to make sense as this is my second
> > go around with this product (the first was with M Ess (I get the
> > "special" abbreviation now)). Now, how do I categorize the
> > corresponding "income" (not really income; it's a transfer) in the
> > other account?  Will Money somehow connect the dots?
>
> You don't have to worry about categorizing anything on a transfer. Both
> ends of the transaction are marked "transfer" and ignored in reports
> unless you turn on the option.
>
> > Also, I'd thought that the "Credit Card Payments/Transfer" category
> > might be good for exactly what it alludes to... you say no, huh?
>
> "Credit Card Payments/Transfer", as far as I can figure out, is for
> people who don't want to categorize much of anything--in which case why
> are they using Money?
>
> Here's how you categorize things with a credit card:
> 1. Go out to dinner. Spend $100. (Take me with you next time!)
> 2. Pay with your Discover card.
> 3. Enter a Purchase transaction of $100 in your Discover account.
> Categorize it as Food:Dining Out.
> 4. When the bill comes, write a check. Categorize the check as
> Transfer:Discover.
> 5. Later on, pay your water bill. Categorize the check as
> Utilities:Water.
>
> When you run reports, the purchase transaction in the Discover account
> and checking account will show up, but not the ones marked as transfers.
> --
> Steve B.
> New Life Home Improvement

0
Miguel29 (9)
4/30/2008 2:54:05 AM
"Credit Card Payments / Transfers" is an EXPENSE category. It doesn't show
up in both accounts. It reports as an Expense. It's really only "useful" in
the context of Essential Register--recommended AGAINST--and even then it
create the problem that you cam here asking about in the first place. 1) It
doesn't show in both accounts, 2) It shows as an expense, thus double
counting your expense and masking where they really occur.

When you say the payment is the one Discover actually takes--like from your
Checking? As a Transfer : Discover in Checking. In Checking it will show as
a withdrawal. This will show up in Discover as a Transfer : Checking. In
Discover it will show up as a Credit. You can also enter it as a credit
amount in Discover with a category Transfer : Checking. You will get the
exact same good result.

> Ah!  Okay, that helps clear up a few things I was on the verge of
> wondering
> about.  Thanks for chiming in!
> Another question that's been looming though, how do I categorize the
> payment
> from my Discover account?  This'd be the one that Discover actually takes.
> Wouldn't that be the "Credit Card Payment/Transfer" category that I've so
> carefully NOT used yet (so that I can delete it)?

Inline below...

> Okay.  I've read about and found the "special category" area.  So that's
> the
> way to go, huh? Seems to make sense as this is my second go around with
> this
> product (the first was with M Ess (I get the "special" abbreviation now)).
> Now, how do I categorize the corresponding "income" (not really income;
> it's
> a transfer) in the other account?  Will Money somehow connect the dots?

Yes. Exactly the reason it exists. It's not incom in the receiving account.
It isn't an Expense in the sending account. It's just, well, a Transfer.

> Also, I'd thought that the "Credit Card Payments/Transfer" category might
> be
> good for exactly what it alludes to... you say no, huh?

No. Exactly! Unmitigated evil. Delete it. It just hides the real reason
Transfer exists. Note that the other Special Category "Credit Card Payment"
performs in almost every regard EXACTLY LIKE the more normative Transfer. If
you just settle on Transfer you WILL NOT GO WRONG. If you use "Credit Card
Payments / Transfers" you will have to enter twice as many transactions in
the relevant cases and your reporting will be much less useful.

Re. "accept", what Steve said.

I do NOT download transaction data. Too much pain. Imperceptibly little
gain. YMMV.

> er... one more quick question:  If I "accept" a transaction in one account
> is
> that it?  It's written in stone and cannot be undone?  I'm using the
> register.

Okay, good.  So far it's working just as you describe except when I go to my
Visa/Discover account(s) and try to categorize the payment.  NOW when I enter
one of the "Special" categories (And my credit Card accounts are there ripe
for the picking, just as if I'd entered them as "Payees" (which I did not,
just set up the accounts is all) I get a popup window saying that "You cannot
transer money from an account to itself."
This leads me to believe that I should either create an expense category for
CC payments or choose an existing.   Hmmmm

So far neither you nor Steve has led me wrong but this is a dillema for me.
The default category for a Credit Card payment is a kinda greyed out
"category".  Do I need to create something here?

"Dick Watson" wrote:

> Inline below...
>
> "Miguel29" <Miguel29@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Okay.  I've read about and found the "special category" area.  So that's
> > the
> > way to go, huh? Seems to make sense as this is my second go around with
> > this
> > product (the first was with M Ess (I get the "special" abbreviation now)).
> > Now, how do I categorize the corresponding "income" (not really income;
> > it's
> > a transfer) in the other account?  Will Money somehow connect the dots?
>
> Yes. Exactly the reason it exists. It's not incom in the receiving account.
> It isn't an Expense in the sending account. It's just, well, a Transfer.
>
> > Also, I'd thought that the "Credit Card Payments/Transfer" category might
> > be
> > good for exactly what it alludes to... you say no, huh?
>
> No. Exactly! Unmitigated evil. Delete it. It just hides the real reason
> Transfer exists. Note that the other Special Category "Credit Card Payment"
> performs in almost every regard EXACTLY LIKE the more normative Transfer. If
> you just settle on Transfer you WILL NOT GO WRONG. If you use "Credit Card
> Payments / Transfers" you will have to enter twice as many transactions in
> the relevant cases and your reporting will be much less useful.

0
Miguel29 (9)
4/30/2008 4:21:15 AM
=?Utf-8?B?TWlndWVsMjk=?= <Miguel29@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on
29 Apr 2008 in group microsoft.public.money:

> Okay, good.  So far it's working just as you describe except when I
> go to my Visa/Discover account(s) and try to categorize the payment.
> NOW when I enter one of the "Special" categories (And my credit Card
> accounts are there ripe for the picking, just as if I'd entered them
> as "Payees" (which I did not, just set up the accounts is all) I get
> a popup window saying that "You cannot transer money from an account
> to itself." This leads me to believe that I should either create an
> expense category for CC payments or choose an existing.   Hmmmm
>
> So far neither you nor Steve has led me wrong but this is a dillema
> for me.  The default category for a Credit Card payment is a kinda
> greyed out "category".  Do I need to create something here?

You create the transfer from your checking account.
 From: Checking
 To: Discover

When you look in your Discover account, you'll find the transfer is
already there. If you right-click on the transfer, you'll be given the
option to go to the account that has the other half of the transaction
(just to prove to you that Money does it right).
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement

> Okay, good.  So far it's working just as you describe except when I go to
> my
> Visa/Discover account(s) and try to categorize the payment.  NOW when I
> enter
> one of the "Special" categories (And my credit Card accounts are there
> ripe
> for the picking, just as if I'd entered them as "Payees" (which I did not,
> just set up the accounts is all) I get a popup window saying that "You
> cannot
> transer money from an account to itself."

I suspect that is because the one really odd thing about "Credit Card
Payment" is that it only ever shows up in the "paying" account. Even if you
use it, (i.e., enter Credit Card Payment : Discover in Checking1,) It will
show up in the Discover account register as Transfer :Checking. This is one
of the reasons I recommend just sticking with Transfer. You can enter it in
either account and specify the other account. Whether you specify the amount
as withdrawal or debit, deposit or credit (or positive or negative if you
are in a split, say) determines the direction of the transfer.

"Miguel29" <Miguel29@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The default category for a Credit Card payment is a kinda greyed out
> "category".  Do I need to create something here?

Personally speaking, I finally understood it! Thanks very much..This thing
has been killing me for months..now I have the hard work of going over all
those transaction and making the necessary adjustments.

"Dick Watson" wrote:

> I suspect that is because the one really odd thing about "Credit Card
> Payment" is that it only ever shows up in the "paying" account. Even if you
> use it, (i.e., enter Credit Card Payment : Discover in Checking1,) It will
> show up in the Discover account register as Transfer :Checking. This is one
> of the reasons I recommend just sticking with Transfer. You can enter it in
> either account and specify the other account. Whether you specify the amount
> as withdrawal or debit, deposit or credit (or positive or negative if you
> are in a split, say) determines the direction of the transfer.
>
> "Miguel29" <Miguel29@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The default category for a Credit Card payment is a kinda greyed out
> > "category".  Do I need to create something here?

0
Zandex (3)
4/30/2008 12:30:01 PM
"Miguel29" <Miguel29@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm in the process of setting up Money+ Deluxe for the first time.  So far
> so
> good considering I'm a newbie to using any kind of personal finance
> software
> and thick as a brick when it comes to accounting.  So please bear with me
> and
> please type slowly...
>
> I have two separate chequing accounts at my bank with one set up
> specifically for me to dump money into and to have mortgage payments
> automatically withdrawn from.  I've been doing this for years at my bank
> and
> I've setup the same accounts in Money the same way.  ie: check1 & check2
> I have all transactions to date from Jan of this year entered and am
> currently in the ~tedious~ process of going through each transaction
> verifying against my bank statements and assigning to categories.  I've
> "accepted" the transactions once they're complete but haven't reconciled
> anything yet as some transactions really have me stymied as to how to
> categorize them so that they don't throw my reports out of whack.
>
> Ordinarily, at the bank I transfer money from Check1 to Check2; VISA; etc.
> How do I categorize a transfer from Check1 to Check2 so that it doesn't
> appear in reports as an extra expense and income (in the Check2 acc't).
> It balances but, for example in Reports it shows that I'm spending twice
> on
> the mortgage than I actually am.  Actually, a bit more as I generally
> transfer a few dollars more to cover fees and to maintain a small balance
> in
> check2.
>
> I realize that this may be more of an accounting question than one for
> this
> forum but any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> TIA!

Transfers between accounts uses the built-in transfers category.

The bigger question is:  why do you use 2 accounts when 1 will do?  It is
more work, more prone to errors, and more complicated.

You should just have 1 checking account and pay all your bills from there.
There is no reason to have 2 accounts.  With 1 account, your issues are
moot.

0
taylor1 (52)
4/30/2008 1:39:17 PM
I don't think having two checking accounts was much of the source of the
posting. The core question was, regardless of the number of checking
accounts, how to account for moving money between Accounts in Money. Even
just one checking account and one credit card account modeled in Money lead
to this question.

message news:ONVtMKzqIHA.1872@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>I don't think having two checking accounts was much of the source of the
>posting. The core question was, regardless of the number of checking
>accounts, how to account for moving money between Accounts in Money. Even
>just one checking account and one credit card account modeled in Money lead
>to this question.
>
> "Taylor" <taylor@nospam2me.com> wrote in message
>> The bigger question is:  why do you use 2 accounts when 1 will do?  It is
>> more work, more prone to errors, and more complicated.
>>
>> You should just have 1 checking account and pay all your bills from
>> there. There is no reason to have 2 accounts.  With 1 account, your
>> issues are moot.

Money has 2 built-in ways to transfer money.  Set up a transfer in
categories, or use a Transfer (as opposed to Deposit or Withdrawal).  When
you set up a liability account, and make a payment to it, Money
automatically makes it a transfer.

0
taylor1 (52)
5/1/2008 2:07:43 PM

"Taylor" wrote:

> "Dick Watson" <littlegreengecko@mind-enufalready-spring.com> wrote in
> message news:ONVtMKzqIHA.1872@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> >I don't think having two checking accounts was much of the source of the
> >posting. The core question was, regardless of the number of checking
> >accounts, how to account for moving money between Accounts in Money. Even
> >just one checking account and one credit card account modeled in Money lead
> >to this question.
> >
> > "Taylor" <taylor@nospam2me.com> wrote in message
> >> The bigger question is:  why do you use 2 accounts when 1 will do?  It is
> >> more work, more prone to errors, and more complicated.
> >>
> >> You should just have 1 checking account and pay all your bills from
> >> there. There is no reason to have 2 accounts.  With 1 account, your
> >> issues are moot.
> >

> Money has 2 built-in ways to transfer money.  Set up a transfer in
> categories, or use a Transfer (as opposed to Deposit or Withdrawal).  When
> you set up a liability account, and make a payment to it, Money
> automatically makes it a transfer.

0
Miguel29 (9)
5/2/2008 12:33:12 AM
This post got botched.  :(
My apologies.  Please disregard

"Miguel29" wrote:

> "Taylor" wrote:
>

> > "Dick Watson" <littlegreengecko@mind-enufalready-spring.com> wrote in
> > message news:ONVtMKzqIHA.1872@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> > >I don't think having two checking accounts was much of the source of the
> > >posting. The core question was, regardless of the number of checking
> > >accounts, how to account for moving money between Accounts in Money. Even
> > >just one checking account and one credit card account modeled in Money lead
> > >to this question.
> > >
> > > "Taylor" <taylor@nospam2me.com> wrote in message

> > Money has 2 built-in ways to transfer money.  Set up a transfer in
> > categories, or use a Transfer (as opposed to Deposit or Withdrawal).  When
> > you set up a liability account, and make a payment to it, Money
> > automatically makes it a transfer.

0
Miguel29 (9)

Propagate info from Account to Sub-Account
Hello, I have created a custom field in the account object. I would like this custom field not to appear in sub accounts linked to the root accounts...I don't think it's possible as accounts and sub accounts are the same objects... So if it's not possible I'd like this specific custom field to be propagated to the sub account(s) with the same value as the one in the root account. Is it possible to do that? Thanks for your help Eric You are correct that you cannot hide that field since it is the same object. If you want that field to propogate then you can add the ma...

default account keeps getting unset
Hi, A strange problem: Approximately once a day, my email account becomes unconfigured as the default email account. I notice because OE will refuse to send the email that I have just written, but, if I set it back, then OE sends it just fine. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Thanks for any guidance. Jeff PS. I am on XP Pro SP3, OE 6.00.2900.5512 configured as in another becomes the default account? Are all accounts in different identities, or the same one? If different, is the default account the Main identity? -- Bruce Hagen ...

Rules on IMAP accounts and other miscellaneous
[reposted .....] IMAP -------------- 1) How do I make rules work on IMAP accounts - Can I write rules so that automatically IMAP mail will be transferred from the IMAP server to specified folders on **my** machine ? At least can I transfer mail automatically from the IMAP folder to my Machine's Inbox by triggering a rule ? POP3 -------------- 2) How do I delete unwanted mail FROM the POP3 server (i.e.) how to avoid downloading and then deleting ? - OE 5 had a facility to delete from server ... General ----------- 3) If I wish to send a mail to a friend - but at a future date - s...

Master Account SID #2
Hi, I have a user that was disabled and now is re-enabled. He can no longer log in. I have tried to associate the Self account to external account but I should not have to do that if his AD account is re-enabled. Something corrupt? Anything I can do to fix it? Thanks. Associated External Account should not be set for an enabled user. I suspect you're falling foul of the fact that the store will only re-read stuff after 2+ hours (cached for performance). Restart the store, or wait the time, and you should be able to log in. There's a registry key to change this waiting time ...

Upgrading to 2008, cannot transfer old identity
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Installed 2008 on a MacBook Pro. Office Setup Assistant found two previous identities - the main identity, and a backup (from a previous database rebuild). I checked the box next to the main identity and selected to transfer it. However, nothing happens, and the setup assistant continues to ask me which identity I want to transfer. I tried checking the backup identity, also, and it transfers over (it turns gray on completion), but I cannot get the main identity to transfer. On 10/13/09 11:18 AM, in article 59b7e851.-1@w...

Error creating Contact within Account
I can create a conact and associate it to an account but all of a sudden the other day I cna nolonger create a contact within an account, I get the following error meassge, I have remapped everything, and now am at a loss can any one help. [ArgumentException: The parameter is incorrect.] Microsoft.Crm.Platform.ComProxy.CRMContactClass.Create(CUserAuth& Caller, String Contact) +0 Microsoft.Crm.Application.Platform.Contact.InternalCreate(String xml) +31 Microsoft.Crm.Application.Platform.Contact.InternalCreateAndRetrieve(String xml, String columnSet) +9 Microsoft.Crm.Appli...

How do I deal with account transfers
OK this is what's going on and I don't know how to deal with it. I have two different checkinig accounts with the same bank. Into the first all our paychecks are direct deposited and all our bills come out through automatic or bill pay. Also a set amount is transfered from here to the second account each week. It's from this second one that we go out to eat, go grocery shopping, etc. So how should I handle that weekly transfer out of the first accoun in Money 2005t? I don't want it showing up as a catagory on my budget graphs because it's not really a catagory....

How do I create a new email account
Please send me step by step instructions on setting up several email accounts. I have tried and it keeps failing on the test. I'm not sure of what I'm doing wrong. Any information on where to go to learn more about emails for my business would be greatly appreciated. thanks, kathy Dear Kathy, your Outlook version is? have a look on this site "how to create" for different Outlook versions email accounts (POP3, IMAP, Exchange etc.): https://www3.imperial.ac.uk/portal/page?_pageid=35,50372&_dad=portallive&_schema=PORTALLIVE -- Oliver Vukovics Share Outlook ...

How do I create separate inboxes for each e-mail account?
I am trying to setup Outlook 2003, and would like to know how to create separate inboxes for each e-mail account. NuttyERnurse schrieb am 09.02.2005 17:13: > I am trying to setup Outlook 2003, and would like to know how to create > separate inboxes for each e-mail account. Create fo every email-account a subfolder in your inbox. Then create a rule and delay incoming mails in the particular folder. -- Viele Grüße Christian Göller NuttyERnurse <NuttyERnurse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am trying to setup Outlook 2003, and would like to know how to ...

Another question regarding Dates..
First, thanks to the replies to my previous post. How can I work out the day & month when I only know the Year and Day Number? Ie Year = 2004 day number = 302 The answer I'm looking for is 28/10/2004 Again, taking into consideration the leap years Thanks again in advance =DATE(2004,1,302) Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Anthony Slater" wrote: > First, thanks to the replies to my previous post. > > How can I work out the day & month when I only know the Year and Day Number? > > Ie > > Year = 2004 > day number = 302 > > The answer I'...

Publisher 03 -how to move parts of brochure to a another brochur.
how do I merge panels of info from one pub. brochure to another fcircle wrote: > how do I merge panels of info from one pub. brochure to another Copy paste from one Publication to another. Line the two publications side by side vertically on the page. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com Windows Marketplace Moderator This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ...

To be able to copy the format of the report to another report
Modify two different invoice forms and also two different forms for HISTORICAL invoice printing. A number of modifications have been done and it would be very much helpful if there's a way to copy the format of one to report to another. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree"...

Where is the Email Account info stored?
I currently have my PST file stored on a separate partition from my program files. Then if I need to restore an image, my data is unaffected. However, is there a way to perform a similar storage to my email accounts? I just restored a partition and I lost all of my account information (Tools -> Email Accounts). Where is that info stored? How do I store it elsewhere from the C: drive? Thanks. It's in the registry. In Office 2003 the Save My Settings wizard will save that information. Office 2007 doesn't have that but the Vista migration tool will move it. <-> wrote...

This item has exceeded the budget for account number.
Hello, I am getting a recurring error message which prevents a user from entering in an expense into eReq because the system considers the account over budget, when in fact it is not. To correct the error, the origin of which we are still uncertain, we were instructed to run File/Maintenance/PO Enhancements/Reconcile. We received this message several times today and ran the utility which did not have any impact on the situation- the error message continues to pop up (i.e., for 53300-1650-000 Finance Office Supplies). The exact error message is: This item has exceeded the budget for...

Validations from another book
In data/validation the source is =() but to access the source via another book is it simply a matter of giving the full path name? Hi see: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal05.html -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Pat" <glass_patrick@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:co2ghh$6oh$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk... > In data/validation the source is =() but to access the source via another > book is it simply a matter of giving the full path name? > > > See: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal05.html HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Mess...

Yet another "Outlook won't close" post....tried everything!
Hello - I'm running Outlook 2003 in cached Exchange mode on Windows XP Pro. All outstanding WinXP and Outlook patches/updates have been applied. As other users have experienced, when I close Outlook by any method, the Outlook icon stays in the system tray and the only way I can close it is to kill the process through Task Manager. Until I do that, I can't start Outlook. I've read all the other messages on this group and website suggestions about this problem, which seem to indicate is that there's another program/process integrated with Outlook that is hanging Outl...

How to copy Rules & Alerts from one PC to another
I occasionally copy my Outlook.pst file from my desktop to my laptop when I travel, and then back again when I get home. I also export and import the Rules & Alerts. The problem is that the Rules & Alerts for my emails don't copy over very well. The rules are there, but they say "on other machine", and most (but not all) of the rules that reference a specific email account (e.g. when received through specified account) are missing the account specification. Since I have quite a few rules, it is laborious to fix all these rules every time I transfer my fi...

Mutual Fund Quotes not updating yet again...
It is almost 6:30 pm EDT and the mutual fund quotes still have not updated in Money. Unbelievable... nor yesterday. To hear Gates/Ballmer tell the story - they are the greatest I just clicked FLPSX to get a quote, the time it shows at MSN: Last NAV update 06/07/06 05:30 PM ET Pathetic. Someone ought to be fired. "Chuck Leven" <CHLeven@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eq53zMBjGHA.1940@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > It is almost 6:30 pm EDT and the mutual fund quotes still have not > updated in Money. Unbelievable... > I just called Microsoft Money Support...

How to stop offline email retrieval from POP3 account
Outlook continues to download email from a POP3 server even when Outlook is closed and the workstation user has logged off the machine. We have checked the settings under Options, Mail Set Up, Send/Receive. Is there another reason we are having this unwanted result? This prevents a user from retrieving mail remotely, since mail is not remaining at POP3 server for remote pickup. Thanks for your help. CJK <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Outlook continues to download email from a POP3 server > even when Outlook is closed and the workstation user has > log...

Help with installing Word in Guest User account
I've just set up the Guest User logon, but every time I try to launch Word, setup starts but then gives an error message (-2147024891). I am told that the Office Source Engine is not running. I go to my Owner logon and set the OSE to Automatic and then Start. But when I switch back to the Guest logon, the same message appears. I go back to Owner and find again that though it is set to Automatic, it is "not running." The error message says to go to My Computer/Manage/Services and Applications/Services/Office Source Engine to learn how to fix the problem. However, My ...

Copy data company from one server to another.
There is an automated solution to copy data from one company to another, but in the same server. I think this solution could be more useful if it let copy data company from between different servers. -- Evelin. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://...

Could excel replace accounting packages or other management software?
With the right templates, I wonder if it would be practical to manage finances for a smaill business, or an individual, with just excel? Could excel be practically used to replace other management software? Maybe personal organizers, contact management, that sort of thing? It seems like there would be a place to get such templates. There are many places that sell templates for such purposes. All you need is a credit card. Search google using keywords like "Excel" and "template". HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >With the right templates, I won...

How do I link information in the LAST ROW of a workbook to another??
Hi all! :) I'm new here, so if by posting this message directly, I'm not following procedure, appologies ahead of time. I'm trying to link information from one workbook to another. It's for inventory. We have a different page for each item number, and every time the item is adjusted, it adds a new row to the speadsheet. I want to be able to list ALL the totals from the different pages into a new file, so people can see totals by looking at ONE sheet. The problem is, the row number of the cell I need changes everytime the source file is edited. There doesn't appear to ...

Transferring mail messages from Outlook Express to Outlook 2000
Hello- I am trying to Import my mail messages & address book which were exported via Outlook Express. When I try to Import the mail messages it doesn't prompt for a path...where is it looking for the *.dbx files?? I need my mail...and I am lost without it....any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Try exporting from OE rather than importing into Outlook. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be deleted w/out reading. After searching google.groups.com and...

Rules and email accounts
Outlook 2003 refuses to remember connections between email accounts and rules. I want to run rules on messages received through particular accounts. I have about half a dozen accounts. I can set them up just fine. But the rule persists in using a different account. It switches when you press the "apply" button. It is not consistent on which account dominates. I can change the behaviour by changing the order of the accounts. There is a knowledgebase reference to this. But the solution -- start from scratch with a new rule -- does not work. This happened before. I got it to work ...