Financial planning using Money?

My wife and I are new to online banking and are considering
getting Money 2005 when it comes out in a couple weeks.  I
have 2 questions:

1) Does the standard version of Money have long-term (i.e.,
lifetime) financial planning capabilities, or do you have
to upgrade to Deluxe or even Premium for that?

2) Can anyone who has used Money's financial planning
functionalities comment on how useful/efficient they found
them to be?

Thanks a lot!

Tim
0
anonymous (74722)
8/30/2004 12:42:02 PM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

With respect to your second question concerning the
usefulness of the Lifetime Planner in Money 2004, my own
assessment is that the tool is generally excellent.

The success of financial planning is mostly a function of
the thought and effort YOU put into the process, rather
than the capabilities of the software tool per se.  Do
not expect any financial planning tool to remove the
responsibility from you of thinking thoroughly about your
situation, about your assumptions, about contingencies,
and about the sources of income and likely expenses.  It
is the process of planning -- rather than the plan
itself -- that is key.

I have been using the Lifetime Planner myself to create a
retirement plan.  Entering the inputs into the plan is
easy; but the thinking process and gathering inputs
(e.g., what will assisted living care cost 40 years from
now?) has consumed about 20+ hours.  It may sound like a
lot of effort, but consider that many people spend more
time planning a single vacation than they do in planning
a retirement that will last decades.

0
anonymous (74722)

Money 2007 Premium on-line services
Is the expiration date for on-line services and bill pay for MS Money 2007 Premium, (not Plus) also on 9-1-09? I've used this version since it came out. chris In microsoft.public.money, Repent wrote: >Is the expiration date for on-line services and bill pay for MS Money >2007 Premium, (not Plus) also on 9-1-09? I've used this version since >it came out. > >chris I don't know about bill pay itself. Expect the Money 2007 to not expire on schedule. You should be good for at least the next 3 months without action. After that, we will see what, if anything, is ne...

How to customize Microsoft Money
Is there a way to programmatically customize Microsoft Money? Thanks, Luca See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=10. "lalberti" <lalberti@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:998312B8-2928-4C61-98F7-F20F38822EF7@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to programmatically customize Microsoft Money? ...

Web Synchronization--Money 2002
I am unable to synchronize Money 2002 with the web. When trying, I get a message that I must get a downloadable service upgrade at Microsoft's website. However, I cannot find anything like that at the website. Any help appreciated. Normally you just do an Internet Update from within Money and that downloads the latest updates. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money Hints/Tips http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny UK Wishes/Suggestions mnyukwsh@microsoft.com "Charlie" <charleshardt@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:739d01c...

Using the SDK to update customized fields
The SDK provides references to the XSD schema that can be used for writing CREATE or UPDATE statements. How do you go about updating a custom field that you've added to an entity. Specifically, we add a field to the INCIDENT entity using the DEPLOYMENT manager etc. How can i create my XML - what's the tag that I need to use in order to update the custom field (call it testfield - CFStestfield) does the XSD get updated automatically? Is there anyway to do this?? Thanks. Nick Nick, All you need to do is add the appropriate element to the XML. In your example, it would be CFStestf...

Using Access form to assign values of variables in an Excel VBA program
I have created a VBA program for Ms Excel.But,to get desired results, every time, I go into the code to change the values of variables.Is there a way to get the values of variables stored in an Access table? YOu need to do a search for ADO method (ActiveX Data Object). There are plenty of example of code on the web. You need to add two references in your VBA to use the method. from VBA menu tools - References 1) Microsoft Access XX.X object library 2) Microsfot ActiveX Data Objects X.X library Use the latest versio of the two libraries on your PC. You will make a conn...

Hotmail: Can't Send/Receive 1 of 3 Accounts (using XP)
I'm using Outlook XP, and I have 3 Hotmail accounts. 2 of them I've been using for a long time without any problems. However, with the 3rd one I just added now, Outlook stalls for about a minute before spitting out: --- A connection to the server could not be established. http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp is now in offline mode. There may be server or network problems or your timeout interval may be too short. Please search Microsoft Outlook Help for [HTTP Mail troubleshooting] --- That's the message when I just add the account to the list of accounts. When I...

Using Investment "Cash" account for a Savings Account?
I just joined another credit union for the sole purpose of purchasing certificates of deposits there. To maintain a membership, they require that $5 be held in a savings account under my name. When I buy a CD, I have to deposit money into that savings account and then they will immediately transfer it to the CD. Although I could if I wanted to, I have no intention of depositing any other funds to this savings account except with the intent of purchasing CDs. I setup the savings account in Microsoft Money and then added the Ceritificate of Deposit as an investment account. When I did so, Micro...

Bar Code
I'm opening a new retail business and would like to use the Manufactures bar code on many of my items......but for the life of me I can't figure out how to load the information into my system. I've serched the HELP screens, but no answers. I'm desperate - Can anyone guide me on how to do this? Sincere, thanks to anyone who can help :) Monica If using the UPC as your ILC doesn't work, you can add the UPC codes to the Alias tab of the Item Properties. Then if you're searching for WIDGET you don't need to memorize the UPC codes. HTH, Tom "Monica" ...

Put daily use worksheets in a toolbar in Excel
Hi, I have Excel 2003 with all updates. Seems to me I used to have a custom toolbar in the menubar area with shortcuts to files I used every day - but it was a long time ago. Is there a way to do that? Thanks, Marti Just record a macro that opens 'em, Marti. See: http://www.officearticles.com/excel/record_a_macro_in_microsoft_excel.htm ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Marti" <MartiB@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:erghi19qjuba0d28jqkic1h5uou3b9uj0n@4ax.com... > Hi, > I have Excel 2003 with all updates. Seems to me I used to have a > custom t...

Toolbar buttons (text and bitmaps) are disappearing, when using with MFC CToolBar class
Guys, help me to sovle the following problem I have a MFC SDI application (Vc++ 6.0) ( 2 Threads, UI and data acqusition thread). The UI is having a simple toolbar control with text and bitmap. The problem is once i run this application after doing some gui operation (like invoking some dialog box changing to diffrent view) the toolbar button is getting disappeared. sometimes the fonts of the toolbar button is getting changed or sometimes when i move the mouse over the toolbar, the buttons is slowly going away( only back ground color of rebar is comming. Is there any methods to debug this ki...

Using Popups to select a range of cells.
Hi All I have a small request for help with code. I need a macro to have popups request the first and last cells in a range , and then to select them. Can someone help? Sub test() Dim Rng As Range On Error Resume Next Set Rng = Application.InputBox("Select your range", _ "Mousework", Type:=8) On Error GoTo 0 If Rng Is Nothing Then Exit Sub MsgBox Rng.Address End Sub HTH. Best wishes Harald "Colin Hayes" <Colin@chayes.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:8mYkILA1YlvLFw7Z@chayes.demon.co.uk... > > Hi All > >...

Money 2003
I opened Money this morning to do my daily update ( download latest transactions, etc ) and noticed my "Upcoming Bills" section was not listed on my customized summary page. So I bounced over the "Bills & Deposits" section and everything is gone?!? All of my entries have flat out vanished?! Has anyone seen this or have any ideas? tia, B ...

does anyone know of a large hotel group that use CRM
I'm looking for a reference site of a hotel chain that use MSCRM to maintain their customer information...they have a seperate booking system, this would be for marketing purposes, etc? ...

SQL Smartlist uses?
Hi, I am not a GP user but I need to use SQL to retrieve information from it. The information is in a smart list my client created. I used the smartlist builder to find each table & view used to create the data set. I tried to mirror the joins the smartlist builder uses but I don't get the entire data set. The smartlist returns data for 2007 but my query returns data up to 12/31/2006. How can I get the same results the smartlist yields from SQL? Thanks, Ivan Ivan, If this query is against the GL, from what you're saying, it sounds like 2006 has been closed, and 2007 is open...

Newbie money 2004 questions.
Hello, I just purchased Money 2004 Premium and I have a few newbie financing / accounting questions. A little bit about me: This year I brought my very first house and I thought it would be a swell idea to get a handle on my spending habits and get ready for this new tax and deductible stuff I will have to deal with. For previous years I just did the standard deduction. I also have done all my own taxes using paper now I use TaxCut for the past two years. I am 27 never bothered to balance a check in my life (I know I know I am bad bad person, yet I have over draft protection which I used...

DO NOT DO UPDATE IF YOU USE BESTBUY OR DELL!!!!
Once you do the update those banks dont show up as available for linking and auto downloads. If anyone knows how to fix this let me know. Bryan It is the choice of the card issuer not to upgrade with Money. Money did not make this decision. cindy "Bastards" <cellphonesebay@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1185226618.281667.320890@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com... > Once you do the update those banks dont show up as available for > linking and auto downloads. If anyone knows how to fix this let me > know. > > Bryan > On Jul 23, 5:51 pm, "Cindy C...

How do I use Outlook 2003 with the Win2003 built-in POP3 server?
I am running a small network using Win2003 R2 servers and XP Pro workstations. I do not have Exchange and use the built-in POP3 server for email. I am using Outlook 2007 on the workstations to retrieve mail, but my users need to roam. All my users' data is redirected to an NFS share on my servers and I have relocated their pst files to their home folders. This seems to work OK, except for one user. In this case, when she opens Outlook, she gets the initial setup condition and we need to re-enter all her data again. The pst file seems to be intact and her mail is not lost. I h...

using multiple conditions
I would like to know how to write the syntax to test for 1. age>44 or 2. Seniority is >9 and by determining the answer to that 3. Arsenic exposure >4.9 4. Cadmium exposure >2.4 If 1. is true or 2. true then I need to check 3. and 4. if 1. is true or 2. is true and 3 and 4 are false then ? if 1 or 2 is false and 3 or 4 is false then something else would I use and or /and condition. The way I wrote my syntax the or works but the and does not. Any clues on how to write the syntax to check for all 4 conditions? This is one solution: ="1 is "&...

Importing Excel and Word using automation
The last time I tried this I got very frustrated. I think I'll probably need to buy a book or something. Can someone recommend such a resource, or any other suitable resource for that matter? Before you go out and buy a book, try reading the Automation documentation that Microsoft provides with their Office applications. The documentation file names vary, depending on the version of Office, but for instance, my Office 2003 documentation is in files named the following (obviously, the root path varies depending on where you installed): E:\Office\OFFICE11\1033\VBAXL10.CHM E:\Office\OFF...

Using dial-up w/ citibank
Does credit card validation w/ citibank on a dial-up connection required that I get an Internet Service provider, or does the software simply call an 800 number out the modem when doing credit card authorizations? Thanks - Bob The answer depends on your configuration. I'd be happy to speak with you. I can be reached at 949-629-3002 during the day Pacific Time. Brett "Bob (new user)" wrote: > Does credit card validation w/ citibank on a dial-up connection required that > I get an Internet Service provider, or does the software simply call an 800 > number out t...

Expanding the time frame of financial information
I forgot to add to my previous posted note that I selected 30 days when I requested the first download from my bank. The initial download was successful, but I see no way to revise or expand this time frame in later downloads. When I go to to Online Service Manager, it just uses the initial time frame. Regards, Duane In microsoft.public.money, Duane Every wrote: >I forgot to add to my previous posted note that I <snip> It would be better to add your addendums to your previous postings to keep your story together. ...

My thoughts on Money
After spending (too much) time researching different accounting packages, I made the decision to purchase MS Money 2006 Small Business edition. I do run a small business, hence the SB edition. I wanted a software package that would manage my business funds. The personal funds management is just a nice plus. I have never before used Money or any other accounting software, so I cannot make any comparisons. I can, however, write about what I think about the software as a new, uncorrupted, and unspoiled user. Let me start by reiterating that I am a new user, so I maybe haven't seen...

Feasibility of using visual basic express
Hi Is it possible to develop sql server db winform apps using visual basic express? Thanks Regards Yes, The easiest way, have a look to SQL to Linq success Cor "John" <info@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message news:OV8Ezd3tKHA.4908@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Hi > > Is it possible to develop sql server db winform apps using visual basic > express? > > Thanks > > Regards > Thanks. Isn't Linq to SQL killed by MS? http://ayende.com/Blog/archive/2008/10/31/microsoft-kills-linq-to-sql.aspx "Cor ...

Using Outlook Address Book vice Windows address book
When I right click on an item as select sent to mail receipient it uses my windows address book, vice my Outlook address book. Since I don't want to update both how do I make it default to the Outlook book and contacts? -- Jeff Mu�iz Work is victory. - Ralph Waldo Emerson Open Internet Explorer and select Tools | Internet Options | Programs tab. Set the contact list dropdown to Microsoft Outlook. "Jeff Mu�iz" <jmuniz6@cox.net> wrote in message news:wEUId.20390$B95.3864@lakeread02... > When I right click on an item as select sent to mail receipient it uses my ...

Data validation causing problems when using a data form in Excel 2
I have an Excel 2007 workbook that includes data validation set on a number of cells. When using a data form to enter data and I enter an invalid value on the form field corresponding to one of those cells I receive the validation error dialogue that prompts me to retry. I enter the correct data into that field on the form then close the form. My worksheet only has the data relating to the corrected field entered. All other data entered via the form is not entered onto the worksheet. Is this a bug in Excel 2007? I previously was using Excel 2002 and found that when using a ...