File Corruption?

I got a Microsoft Money 2005 "internal error" message, which shuts down the
program every time I tried to generate the "Tax-related transaction" report
and started shutting down when I accessed "Help" (program, including "help"
and other reports had been working fine).  MS support said it was a program
file problem and to reinstall or upgrade to Money 2006 (at my suggestion as I
was considering it anyway).

I upgraded to 2006 nd continue to experience the same problem with the
tax-related transaction and other reports.  MS support now says that it is
file corruption (I was able to open a new, empty file, add some taxable type
investment transactions and generate the tax-related transactions report) and
that I must export and then import all of my accounts into a new, empty 2006
file. (BTW, back up files seem to have the same issue with the tax-related
reports, but not necessarily with "help" or other reports).

1.  Does that sound right?
2.  Is there any way around the export/import thing, which involves years of
transactions and accounts?
3.  I've seen some software available online to repair corrupt files.  Do
any of them work?
4.  Can I prevent this from happening again?

TIA,
Sue
0
sue (191)
3/27/2006 4:41:04 PM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

You can try the divide and conquer approach to see if you can identify the
account and then the transaction causing the problem.

But this might take as long as export/import into a new file.

To do this:
Make a copy of your file and always work from copies.
Open Money and Delete half of your accounts.
See if the problem reproduces
If it does, then open another copy of the original file (delete the other
copy) and try deleting the other half and confirm that the problem does NOT
reproduce.
If the problem does not reproduce, then the corruption is in the accounts
deleted.
In another copy of the file delete half of those accounts
Repeat until you narrow it down to one specific account.
NOTE: You may be able to short cut this if you know that this problem
started happening after creating a specific account. (try just deleting that
account).
Once you have an account identified, start deleting transactions in the same
manner
Most likely it will be some recent transaction (or at least one entered
since the report last worked properly).

Once you've identified the specific transaction, verify that this is the
source of the problem in a copy of the original Money file and then you can
either use this file as your file or make the correction in the original (be
sure to always have a good backup strategy - which Money 2006 will help with
due to it's new backup options).

-Mark

"Sue" <Sue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I got a Microsoft Money 2005 "internal error" message, which shuts down
the
> program every time I tried to generate the "Tax-related transaction"
report
> and started shutting down when I accessed "Help" (program, including
"help"
> and other reports had been working fine).  MS support said it was a
program
> file problem and to reinstall or upgrade to Money 2006 (at my suggestion
as I
> was considering it anyway).
>
> I upgraded to 2006 nd continue to experience the same problem with the
> tax-related transaction and other reports.  MS support now says that it is
> file corruption (I was able to open a new, empty file, add some taxable
type
> investment transactions and generate the tax-related transactions report)
and
> that I must export and then import all of my accounts into a new, empty
2006
> file. (BTW, back up files seem to have the same issue with the tax-related
> reports, but not necessarily with "help" or other reports).
>
> 1.  Does that sound right?
> 2.  Is there any way around the export/import thing, which involves years
of
> transactions and accounts?
> 3.  I've seen some software available online to repair corrupt files.  Do
> any of them work?
> 4.  Can I prevent this from happening again?
>
> TIA,
> Sue

0
abcd7779 (838)

File format not valid #4
Trying to open a file that windows says is a scrap file. The file has an extension of .xls.shs but when opened excel states that 'file format is not valid'. Ran a virus scan which came back clear. Tryied removing the extension .shs and reassociated the file with excel still no luck. Any Ideas? I've never used Scrap files in excel, but in Word, you can select a range and drag it to your desktop. If you want to use it in another document, you just drag it from the desktop to the location in the new document. I just tried do the eqivalent in xl2002 (win98) and got an error...

Macro to break up a csv file
Please help This is a few lines of a csv file that I have. I have it open in an Excel workbook. I need to write/record a macro that creates a new worksheet and cuts and pastes the data into them at every line that contains an 'R' on the left hand side. The amount of rows that contain data after the 'R' row are variable throughout the file. Thank you. H 11/12/2003 08:00:12 R 7926 1601 N B 11/12/2003 11/12/2003 10:15 L BX10A T10 2 18 6 L BX10A T10 5 71 29 L T20 43 63 22 L T21 BM 9 1 L T21 MB 6 1 ...

Single corrupted mail item, how to delete it?
Hi, Running EX2k3 on a 2k server. Everytime I do my backup I am getting an "The item \\servername\microsoft exchange mailbox\username top of information store inbox (a whole bunch of asian characters then normal email heading ) is corrupt, file skipped" I 've gone to the users inbox and there is not an email with a whole bunch of asian characters nor with the english after the asian characters. Is there a way to scan a single users mailbox for corrupted items and fix it? Maybe export to a PST and do something like that? Thanks R not possible to scan for one mailbox co...

can I disable the delete command for a file
Can I disable the delete command for a file? There's no functionality in Excel that could stop someone opening Windows explorer and deleting a file if that's what you mean -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "Dr. Darrell" wrote: > Can I disable the delete command for a file? > > See "permissions" in Windows help. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 05:45:01 -0800, Dr. Darrell <Dr...

Known bug? range with 2 file paths
We have been struggling with a buggy spreadsheet, and finally traced the problem to a double-path range as follows: A reference to an external range is normally defined by a formula like 'mypath\[myfile.xls]mytab'!cell1:cell2 Somehow, we had a series of cells with the range reference displayed as 'mypath\[myfile.xls]mytab'!cell1:'mypath\[myfile.xls]mytab'!cell2 Excel does not object (we have tried to enter it manually and XL accepts it), and all goes well as long as the referenced sheet (myfile.xls) is also open. When you try later to open the sheet containing this f...

Corrupt free space
In "My computer" the system disk shows that there is 20GB free space, when the actual free space is more than 270 GB. Is there anything I can do to correct this? I have defragmented and run a full chkdsk check, which didn´t help. Where are you getting these sizes from? I suspect, http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013&Product=winxp "jiger" <jiger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D4140F02-8F79-4E89-9D00-3658B760A25A@microsoft.com... > In "My computer" the system disk shows that there is 20...

Offline DB has corrupted, can't get back to main DB
Hi guys. We have a customer who suffered a powercut earlier today. When the power came back up, the offline databases kicked in for a while until a connection with the server returned. On one till the offline database was fine but when the connection to the server was restored, it wouldn't sync. It can be connected to manually in Store Adminstrator, but when we try to run a Check on it, it comes back with an error saying it's been found suspect and can't be opened. There's obviously something going on in the system that says before the main online database can be r...

Trouble with Filters on a large file
Have a huge file, 29000 rows with 6 columns. Ran a auto-filter but the filter stops at the "1001" row. Thought that I was quite familiar with auto-filters until this. Can anyone please help tell me what's worng or what I should do?? Thanks in Advance Michael Think 1000 is the limit for items to display in the autofilter droplist Try Debra Dalgleish's coverage on this at her page: http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter02.html#Limits for a possible workaround (Look under "Limits to Dropdown Lists") -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- GMT+8, 1� 22' N 103� 45' E xd...

importing Excel file into Outlook Contacts
I am trying to import an Excel file into Outlook 2002. I did this successfully 1 time but now when I get to the "Import a File" - "The following actions will be performed" dialoge box, I can not change the file to the new file I want to import. The first one I Imported continues to be listed and I can't get rid of it. What should I do??? I experienced the same and the problem was solved when I reboot... You have to reboot... >-----Original Message----- >I am trying to import an Excel file into Outlook 2002. I >did this successfully 1 time but now...

File Delete!
Foolish Foolish Me. I was doing some house cleaning with my computer files recently and while I was dumping some spyware I had acumulated over the past 5 years, I accidently deleted the MAPI Spooler for Outlook, could anybody possibly help me? Microsoft isn't much help when you need to get a hold of them, and since all the upgrades I've done to my computer have nullified my warantee I am now finding myself between a rock and a hard place. I can't access my e-mail without going to through my ISP's website. thanks again for any help!! -Brian do a detect and r...

Error opening File
I keep getting the message "Publisher cannot open files from a different version". I am running PUB'98 and assume that the files are in '97 format but cannot find a way to open them or import them. If I try selecting file from the Pub browser then it can preview the object but I still cannot open it. Please help someone as this is getting damn frustrating! Thanks What makes you "assume" the files are Pub 97? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Jim hooper" <JH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3ceb01c47f26$b2636640$...

Compacting
Windows XP Media Centre edition fully updated Compacting Outlook Express Before Compacting click on Local Folders Then Menu > File > Folder > Compact All Folders. Runs fine to Folders File then Warning/Error ?? Folders Fuile in use by Outlook Express or another application. Tried reboot then compact again before any other app sused problem persists. Any offers of help please -- Jim Bunton Is Fuile a user created folder or a typo? What is its size? Create a new folder. Move all the contents of the Fuile folder to it and delete the old one. If it is more ...

How do I import mbox mail files into Outlook XP
We recently shifted one of our Linux desktops back to Windows. I have a need to import mail from the employee's Linux data. The mail is stored in Unix-style mbox files. How can I import these into Outlook XP? Thanks, Jason On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 11:13:44 -0700, "Jason Komar" <jkomar@lubetec.com> wrote: >We recently shifted one of our Linux desktops back to >Windows. I have a need to import mail from the employee's >Linux data. The mail is stored in Unix-style mbox files. >How can I import these into Outlook XP? You may have to export the data to a csv file,...

outlook keeps sending files over 1 mb
It resends countlessly and never leaves my outbox unless I can catch it taking a breath and delete it. This causes me to use yousendit.com for larger files but it would be so much easier to use my own outlook. What gives with this? I called my internet provider and they don't have a limit on file size so it has to be microsoft. Surely I'm not the only one having this problem. Microsoft XP OS; office 2003 with all service packs updated. Thanks! Outlook has no limit on the size of the file you send unless you have an Exchange mailbox (usually found in the work pl...

I open 2007 file, it opens as .ppt (2003) read only
When I open up my 2007 files .pptx by double-clicking on it, it opens as a ..ppt (Read Only) (Compatibility Mode). I then have to do a "save as" 2007 file. However, when I open it by doing file-open - it opens as a 2007 file. Does anyone know why yhis happens and if there is a preference I can set to have them open as 2007 files when I double-click on it? Thanks in advance! -- Marc One solution would be right clicking the file and selecting properties and going to the " General" tab and changing the program it uses to open as a default(i am not aware...

Converting Outlook Files
I need to convert all my files, (address book, saved messages, calendar etc.) from a computer running XP to a syster running 2000 Professional. If you are using Microsoft Outlook, you just need to copy over your *.pst file(s). From there, you can import the items into your new system or open the *.pst file via File | Open | Personal Folders/Outlook Data file and then drag/drop items between the old folder set and new one. If you are using Outlook Express, you should ensure that Windows 2000 is running IE6/6SP1 (which would be equal to Windows XP/Windows XP SP1 respectively). You will nee...

Outline view becomes corrupted
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I work in Outline view quite a bit when drafting documents. In Word 2008 12.2.3 (091001) running on a MacBook Pro 13&quot; Unibody with 10.5.8, if I scroll up and down through a document in Outline view, the symbols on the left that denote paragraphs and subheaders end up not redrawing correctly. Occasionally, text will also overlap itself and Ive also seen behavior where it appears that Word this my cursor focus is actually several lines up from where the appearance of the pointer or cursor is on the screen. <...

Where are these files stored in ?
hello everyone: "Site Collection"--"View audit log reports" there are so many log file,but i can't find out where are these files stored in ,who can help me ? and can i change its location where they are stored in ? You cannot change the audit logs storage location, as it is stored in the content database on the SQL server. Regards, Vaibhav Desai ...

retrieving file extension
hi, i have string containing the name of a file with extension eg:- CString strFile = website.jpeg is there any API to retrieve the extension of the file from the string. thanks anu. hi, I guess there is no direct way to get the file extension. What you can do is use the _strstr function. If you are using the CFileDialog, then there you can use CFileDialog::GetFileExt() to get the extn. hth gangadhar anu wrote: > hi, > > i have string containing the name of a file with extension > eg:- CString strFile = website.jpeg > > is there any API to retrieve the extension...

Problem with Huge PST File
When I went to start up Outlook 2003, I got a message that my PST file was not closed properly last time. Outlook went through it's process. Now, my PST file is 823MB, even though when I do a folder size on it within outlook, it says the PST file shou be about 10MB. Does anyone have some suggestions? --Nicholas Are you checking the .pst file size from the root of your personal folders? If you search your hard drive for the .pst file, what does Windows report as the file size? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Sw...

Unable to log into file
I read that I could not sign up for Experian if I updated a 2004 file. So I created a new 2005 with my current passport login/password. After I created my Experian account, I then went and removed online access to that file (2005). However when I try to log back into my original file, I enter the password and it begins to log in and then the password just goes blank with no error message. I have verified that no accounts are online, I have removed the passport login using Password Manager from my new 2005 account, but I still can not log back into my updated 2004 original money f...

The system cannot find the file specified
I am receiving this error in Outlook 2003 when attempting to open Word attachments. I have tried deleting all temporary internet files and all files in the OKLE temp folder and the problem was corrected - for about five minutes! If I open the attachment a second time, it opens no problem. The error is popping up sporadically on our users machines. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated! Have you cleared the IE cache? Tools --> Internet Options --> Delete Files. -- Rodney Buike MVP Windows Server - Directory Services http://thelazyadmin.com "Natalie Lewi...

TransferText
Is there a way to have table or query exported out to a text file and APPEND to what is already in the text file instead of overwrite? Please advise. Thank you. "Brig Siton" <bnospamsiton@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:e0wzJZZ1KHA.5328@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to have table or query exported out to a text file and > APPEND to what is already in the text file instead of overwrite? TransferText will always overwrite the target file. If you still want to use TransferText, you can export to a temporary file, then use one of seve...

new excell will not read old excell file
I have just installed office home and student into a new computer but when try to run one of my existing file it tells me it is corrupt. It runs fine in the old computer. please help What versions of Excel are involved? XL2007 can read and write both the new formats (xlsm, xlsx, xlsb) and the old format (xls). Unless you have the Office Compatibility Pack (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924074/en-us) installed, XL2003 can read only xls files -- it cannot read the new file versions. Since 2003 has no knowlege of the new formats, it assume the file is corrupted. Of course, a file...

how can I list FrontPage files by category?
I click view > reports > All Files - and can't see a way to do the above when the file-list appears. View | Reports | Workflow | Categories -- ~ Kathleen Anderson Microsoft MVP - FrontPage Spider Web Woman Designs http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/ Please reply to the newsgroup for the benefit of others "Pete" wrote: > I click view > reports > All Files - and can't see a way to do the above > when the file-list appears. "Pete" <Pete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:376FC971-07F6-4A11-A1...