Edits in Acct Reg Change Other Entries

Hello.  I haven't been using Money for very long, and can't figure this one
out:  I have been downloading my checking acct activity in QIF format, and
Money recognizes the file, then imports it into my Account Register. This
seems to be going OK, but then, when a check payment is downloaded, I want to
edit the specifics of it, such as, entering the name of the Payee, or adding
a different memo, whatever.  Then, much to my frustration, Money will also
change the Payees on other, random checks to match the one I changed!
Really!  I just don't get it.  The amounts, dates, memos, categories can all
be different, but money will change the Payee, sometimes on checks written
months before...makes accurate record keeping extra fun...Please, I'm
terrribly challenged by financial stuff in the first place - I'm beginning to
wonder if Money's decided to have it's own fun with me..Any suggestions most
greatly appreciated.
0
LKB (2)
8/6/2005 5:11:01 AM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

I can think of two things that might be going on. The first one happens
me to me quite often, but I usually get a message asking me to confirm
the change. For example: if I have downloaded previous transactions
with a Payee of WM Supercenter, and one day I decide to change WM
Supercenter to Walmart (before accepting transaction), then Money will
ask me if I want to change ALL PAYEES of WM Supercenter to Walmart. If
I say yes, then ALL previous transactions will change. Make sure to
watch for any messages like this.

The second thing that could be going on deals with the Payee Rules
Manager. If I decide to change the Payee from WM Supercenter to
Walmart, and I make the change BEFORE accepting a transaction, then
Money will store WM Supercenter as a Payee Name Variation for the Payee
Walmart. Then anytime Money downloads a transaction from WM
Supercenter, Money will record Walmart as the Payee.

Now what can happen here is that wrong Payee Name Variations can get
accidently listed for a Payee. Last night I went through all my Payee
Name Variations to check what each Payee had for Name Variations. I
found quite a few problems here. For example: I found JC Penney as a
Name Variation for Dilliards.  I hadn't been aware of this problem
until I checked all Payees. I quickly deleted that Payee Name
Variation.

To check out all your Payee Name Variation, go to Payees and double
click the first payee to open it. Click Go to Payee Rules Manager. You
will see the Preferred Payee Name and in the box to the right, the
Payee Name Variations (many of the Payees will not have any and this
box will be blank). The easiest way to check all Payees is to highlight
the Preferred Payee Name beside the drop down arrow and then repeatly
and slowly click your down arrow key. As you scroll through this list,
watch the Payee Name Variation Box. Stop and delete any Name Variation
that is not one you want. Even if this doesn't fix your current
problem, it can prevent other problems down the road.

Lori

0
rhodesbiz (125)
8/6/2005 5:47:38 AM
You're dealing with a limitation of the way Money handles the QIF format.
If your bank is listed in the online banking list and you set up banking
that way http://www.microsoft.com/money/bankonline.aspx you'll get better
results.

--

"LKB" <LKB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello.  I haven't been using Money for very long, and can't figure this
> one
> out:  I have been downloading my checking acct activity in QIF format, and
> Money recognizes the file, then imports it into my Account Register. This
> seems to be going OK, but then, when a check payment is downloaded, I want
> edit the specifics of it, such as, entering the name of the Payee, or
> adding
> a different memo, whatever.  Then, much to my frustration, Money will also
> change the Payees on other, random checks to match the one I changed!
> Really!  I just don't get it.  The amounts, dates, memos, categories can
> all
> be different, but money will change the Payee, sometimes on checks written
> months before...makes accurate record keeping extra fun...Please, I'm
> terrribly challenged by financial stuff in the first place - I'm beginning
> wonder if Money's decided to have it's own fun with me..Any suggestions
> most
> greatly appreciated.

0
bollar (385)