Disappearing Money File

Occasionally my Money file disappears.  On looking in the Documents folder I
find that I have a .tmp file that is in fact the Money file.  Opens with
Money, has all the updates etc.  I am using Vista64 and Money 2007.  Several
virus and spyware programs confirm no problems on that front.  I suspect
that it is related to certain conditions when going into hibernation.
Wondering if any others have had a similar experience.  The backup files are
not affected.

0
jbarnes (58)
6/25/2007 4:02:01 PM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

Just to clarify:

1. Is your Money file in the Documents folder under your Vista User account
or some other folder labled "Documents"? In other words: Is it in
C:\Users\<User Name>\Documents?
2. Is it on the main hard drive (i.e. C:\) or is it on some other drive?
Anything else non standard about the location of your Money file?
3. Since you also reported problems with occassionally getting told you have
the wrong password is there a change in how you are accessing the file
between attempts (for example, signing into Vista under a different User)?
4. Since you mentioned "certain conditions when going int hibernation", what
are those conditions?
5. Does it only occur after going into and recovering from hibernation?
6. What other security/AV/anti-spyware programs are you running?

-Mark

> Occasionally my Money file disappears.  On looking in the Documents folder
> I find that I have a .tmp file that is in fact the Money file.  Opens with
> Money, has all the updates etc.  I am using Vista64 and Money 2007.
> Several virus and spyware programs confirm no problems on that front.  I
> suspect that it is related to certain conditions when going into
> hibernation. Wondering if any others have had a similar experience.  The
> backup files are not affected.

0
abcd7779 (838)
6/25/2007 5:40:47 PM
Inline
"Mark" <abcd@abcd.com> wrote in message
> Just to clarify:
>
> 1. Is your Money file in the Documents folder under your Vista User
> account or some other folder labled "Documents"? In other words: Is it in
> C:\Users\<User Name>\Documents?

Yes

> 2. Is it on the main hard drive (i.e. C:\) or is it on some other drive?

Standard place picked by Money on the install

> Anything else non standard about the location of your Money file?
> 3. Since you also reported problems with occassionally getting told you
> have the wrong password is there a change in how you are accessing the
> file between attempts (for example, signing into Vista under a different
> User)?

No.  All accesses to Money are thru the link in the quick-launch, unless the
password problem or file missing messages appear.

> 4. Since you mentioned "certain conditions when going int hibernation",
> what are those conditions?

I haven't as yet been able to determine ANY pattern, including whether
hibernation is even involved.  The possibility of hibernation being involved
is only because I have only recently begun using it during the day and the
missing files (left as tmp) has started since then and had worked for 3
months with no such problem before that.

> 5. Does it only occur after going into and recovering from hibernation?

Not sure

> 6. What other security/AV/anti-spyware programs are you running?

Nod32 A/V, Windows defender.  Ran tests with Avast, AVG, and
Spybot  + one other I don't remember to confirm results.

> -Mark
>

> "John Barnes" <jbarnes@email.net> wrote in message
>> Occasionally my Money file disappears.  On looking in the Documents
>> folder I find that I have a .tmp file that is in fact the Money file.
>> Opens with Money, has all the updates etc.  I am using Vista64 and Money
>> 2007. Several virus and spyware programs confirm no problems on that
>> front.  I suspect that it is related to certain conditions when going
>> into hibernation. Wondering if any others have had a similar experience.
>> The backup files are not affected.

0
jbarnes (58)
6/25/2007 9:20:23 PM
~ofB42.temp and ~ofC1C.tmp  are the names of the two files I had recognised
and tested.  Other files were deleted earlier as I didn't know where they
came from.  They are also in the same folder as the Money file would be.

"Mark" <abcd@abcd.com> wrote in message
> Just to clarify:
>
> 1. Is your Money file in the Documents folder under your Vista User
> account or some other folder labled "Documents"? In other words: Is it in
> C:\Users\<User Name>\Documents?
> 2. Is it on the main hard drive (i.e. C:\) or is it on some other drive?
> Anything else non standard about the location of your Money file?
> 3. Since you also reported problems with occassionally getting told you
> have the wrong password is there a change in how you are accessing the
> file between attempts (for example, signing into Vista under a different
> User)?
> 4. Since you mentioned "certain conditions when going int hibernation",
> what are those conditions?
> 5. Does it only occur after going into and recovering from hibernation?
> 6. What other security/AV/anti-spyware programs are you running?
>
> -Mark
>

> "John Barnes" <jbarnes@email.net> wrote in message
>> Occasionally my Money file disappears.  On looking in the Documents
>> folder I find that I have a .tmp file that is in fact the Money file.
>> Opens with Money, has all the updates etc.  I am using Vista64 and Money
>> 2007. Several virus and spyware programs confirm no problems on that
>> front.  I suspect that it is related to certain conditions when going
>> into hibernation. Wondering if any others have had a similar experience.
>> The backup files are not affected.

0
jbarnes (58)
6/25/2007 9:32:02 PM
I see precisely the same problem!  I can open the .tmp file that it creates,
but I usually "restore from backup" with the most recent backup Money makes.
That file seems fine.  This happens about every 3 - 5 closures of MS Money.
I never hibernate my machine and I run XP Pro / MS Money 2006.  My Money file
is saved locally in "my documents".  I have been using this for about 2 years
with no problems until recently.  Nothing has changed recently.  Could the
Money file be growing too large??  Does anyone have any ideas??

- Rodney

"John Barnes" wrote:

> ~ofB42.temp and ~ofC1C.tmp  are the names of the two files I had recognised
> and tested.  Other files were deleted earlier as I didn't know where they
> came from.  They are also in the same folder as the Money file would be.
>
> "Mark" <abcd@abcd.com> wrote in message
> > Just to clarify:
> >
> > 1. Is your Money file in the Documents folder under your Vista User
> > account or some other folder labled "Documents"? In other words: Is it in
> > C:\Users\<User Name>\Documents?
> > 2. Is it on the main hard drive (i.e. C:\) or is it on some other drive?
> > Anything else non standard about the location of your Money file?
> > 3. Since you also reported problems with occassionally getting told you
> > have the wrong password is there a change in how you are accessing the
> > file between attempts (for example, signing into Vista under a different
> > User)?
> > 4. Since you mentioned "certain conditions when going int hibernation",
> > what are those conditions?
> > 5. Does it only occur after going into and recovering from hibernation?
> > 6. What other security/AV/anti-spyware programs are you running?
> >
> > -Mark
> >

> > "John Barnes" <jbarnes@email.net> wrote in message
> >> Occasionally my Money file disappears.  On looking in the Documents
> >> folder I find that I have a .tmp file that is in fact the Money file.
> >> Opens with Money, has all the updates etc.  I am using Vista64 and Money
> >> 2007. Several virus and spyware programs confirm no problems on that
> >> front.  I suspect that it is related to certain conditions when going
> >> into hibernation. Wondering if any others have had a similar experience.
> >> The backup files are not affected.

0
Rodney1 (32)
8/3/2007 5:18:05 PM
If this is happening for you on XP and with Money 2006, then either this is
a completely different issue or it turns out not to be specific to Vista
and/or Money 2007

Are you using some new/updated security software or changed some settings
within IE or XP.
What else is running on your computer?
Any indications of problems with Money when this happens? For example it is
hung (not responding), doesn't appear to completely close ("Money is already
running" if you try to restart Money, backup behavior is different (you
postponed or didn't postpone this time), etc

-Mark

"Rodney" <Rodney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I see precisely the same problem!  I can open the .tmp file that it
>creates,
> but I usually "restore from backup" with the most recent backup Money
> makes.
> That file seems fine.  This happens about every 3 - 5 closures of MS
> Money.
> I never hibernate my machine and I run XP Pro / MS Money 2006.  My Money
> file
> is saved locally in "my documents".  I have been using this for about 2
> years
> with no problems until recently.  Nothing has changed recently.  Could the
> Money file be growing too large??  Does anyone have any ideas??
>
> - Rodney
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> ~ofB42.temp and ~ofC1C.tmp  are the names of the two files I had
>> recognised
>> and tested.  Other files were deleted earlier as I didn't know where they
>> came from.  They are also in the same folder as the Money file would be.
>>
>> "Mark" <abcd@abcd.com> wrote in message
>> > Just to clarify:
>> >
>> > 1. Is your Money file in the Documents folder under your Vista User
>> > account or some other folder labled "Documents"? In other words: Is it
>> > in
>> > C:\Users\<User Name>\Documents?
>> > 2. Is it on the main hard drive (i.e. C:\) or is it on some other
>> > drive?
>> > Anything else non standard about the location of your Money file?
>> > 3. Since you also reported problems with occassionally getting told you
>> > have the wrong password is there a change in how you are accessing the
>> > file between attempts (for example, signing into Vista under a
>> > different
>> > User)?
>> > 4. Since you mentioned "certain conditions when going int hibernation",
>> > what are those conditions?
>> > 5. Does it only occur after going into and recovering from hibernation?
>> > 6. What other security/AV/anti-spyware programs are you running?
>> >
>> > -Mark
>> >

>> > "John Barnes" <jbarnes@email.net> wrote in message

0
abcd7779 (838)

SVG file is not rendered in VISIO properly
Hi, I have a SVG file thats created by a third party software and when i try to import it into VISIO, it is giving me a lot of warnings, and finally the rendered image is not quite the same as the original. Other SVG viewers are rendering this filecorrectly. Are there any known compatability issues with VISIO and SVG formats? I am using VISIO 2003 and i even tried with 2007 and the issues are the same. I tried correcting few of the warnings, but this warning appears several times. [Warning] DataType: Context: <VisioDocument><Masters><Master ID='153' Name='s...

C00D11C7 on a ASF file under a less priviledged user account 12-09-09
Hello, Wanted to look at some ASF high quality videos from PDC09. I run XP SP3 fr with WMP 11. Files use VC-1 AP and WMA 9 PRO, for GSpot, or 10 PRO CBR, for the ASF metadata; one example file is here http://ecn.channel9.msdn.com/o9/pdc09/wmvhigh/FT34.wmv These files play when using a privileged (Local Administrators member) account. They play under GSpot in the preview panel running as a less privileged user. But they don't play in WMP 11 in the same account on the same machine. I searched this user registry hive for abnormal things (by comparing to the "all user"...

Exporting Excel file into Notepad with column & row lines
I cannot get the horizontal & vertical lines to show up in my notepad file. Help Please. Notepad looks at text. Text doesn't have horizontal & vertical lines. You can, of course, use underscore characters _ to look like a horizontal line, and pipe characters | to look like a vertical line. -- David Biddulph "JIVL" <JIVL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:232B20B7-2719-47ED-A2C3-5673B8FCA925@microsoft.com... >I cannot get the horizontal & vertical lines to show up in my notepad file. > Help Please. ...

File damage on network share
I have a peer to peer network running Windows 2000 Pro and Office XP. When trying to save a document that resides on a shared network drive, the file is damaged to the point of having to be restored from a backup. Any idea what would cause this? Other apps seem to run just fine. ...

transfering files 2005 to vista home premium compatable 2007
I have transfered files from money 2002 to 2005, now can I tranfer money 2005 to money 2007(and is money 2007 vista home premium compatable?) In microsoft.public.money, ginzuman wrote: >I have transfered files from money 2002 to 2005, now can I tranfer money 2005 >to money 2007(and is money 2007 vista home premium compatable?) Yes and yes. If you have not already bought Money 2007, Money 2008 (Money Plus) is available. ...

File properties shortcut key
Hi Is there some key combination that enables the user to quickly jump to file properties in excel 2007. Kind regards IgorM hi for your question's answer maybe look at this link, http://www.createthefuture.com/Excel_tech_tips "IgorM" wrote: > Hi > > Is there some key combination that enables the user to quickly jump to file > properties in excel 2007. > > Kind regards > > IgorM > > > ASAP utilities have nice macro that shows you all the info about the file. And it is free for home use! http://www.asap-utilities.com/ Shows...

Print file path
I want the file path to be printed on every excel wooksheet I print. Is there a way to do this on new and existing worksheets without having to go into Headers and Footers each time? Thanks, Esther See http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/fullnameinfooter2.html In article <13B70E9B-37DE-4A55-9734-8D465E635DA6@microsoft.com>, "EstherJ" <EstherJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I want the file path to be printed on every excel wooksheet I print. Is > there a way to do this on new and existing worksheets without having to go > into Headers and Footers ...

Automatically Open File After Download?
I have a file extension associated with my application. What I'd like is when a user downloads a file with my extension, that instead of the prompt "Save As, Open, etc", I'd like the file to automatically download and open up in my application. Is this possible and if so, what are the registry keys that I have to setup? Is there a class somewhere that could possibly help with this? TIA. There is a reason the browser does that. It is called "security". No user should do a download without being given the option of what to do. joe On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 03:06...

Using Money 2002
I have been experimenting with money dance and right now don't see that as a viable option to preserve many years of interrelated bank and investment files. I noted the discussion above on reverting to Money 02 since activation not required. I am currently using Money +. Can the Money+ files be used directly in Money 02? If so, any ideas on where to obtain a copy? Thanks, Don No Money has never been backwards compatible. i.e. a file produced by Money yyyy+1 cannot be read in Money yyyy (or earlier). The only way is to export to QIF and reimport but that can be problematical! ...

Disappearing Footers
Using Word 2007, I and an assistant have been creating a handbook with numerous Chapters. We have a footer for each Chapter, which very easily inserts initially. The documents are saved as '97 - 2003 compatable. When we are performing modifications or additions to the Chapters, very often, fopr no apparent reason, the footers have disappeared when the documents are reopened. Any help??????? Is the footer text actually disappearing or are the footers just hidden? See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/WhiteSpace.htm -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words ...

MS Word file extension changed through e-mail
MS Word .docx files sent as attachments are received without the x, as a .doc instead. The same is true for MS Excel .xlsx changed to .xls Speak firmly to whoever set up the email system. They have not applied their updates. When the file goes through, it is being recognised as a Microsoft Word file, but the extension is being wrongly changed. Some free-mail web services have a bad habit of doing this. It's not a Word problem, the change is being made either by the sending email program or the receiving email program. Cheers On 24/02/10 2:32 PM, in article 2e082f5...

how to open 1-2-3 files with excel
I cannot open my old 1-2-3 files with excel. I need help. Office File Converter Pack http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=cf196df0-70e5-4595-8a98-370278f40c57&DisplayLang=en This includes LOTUS32.CNV, which is the Lotus 123 converter. You should note that you can ONLY OPEN Lotus 123 files with this converter. "Tanmen" <Tanmen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FAD82E0E-4806-401E-B49F-7365FC64FBC3@microsoft.com... > I cannot open my old 1-2-3 files with excel. I need help. Tanmen Wrote: > I cannot open my old 1-2-3 files with...

Cannot uninstall trial version of Money
A few weeks ago I downloaded the trial version of Money to see if I would prefer it to Quicken. I gave Money the edge and decided to buy Money 2004 but I didn't want to download it. I put the CD in the computer and it gave me a message that Money was already installed on my computer and I needed to uninstall before it would load - no options. But there is no uninstall program on my downloaded trial version. Did I waste my Money!?!? In microsoft.public.money, Ralph wrote: >A few weeks ago I downloaded the trial version of Money to >see if I would prefer it to Quicken. I gave ...

Word 2008 for Mac freezes when opening existing file
When I try to open an existing file, Word 2008 for Mac freezes. I can't use the mouse, so can't use "Force Quit." I have to turn the computer off, losing whatever is open, and start again. I have the exact same problem, fix this bug asap "quat@officeformac.com" wrote: > When I try to open an existing file, Word 2008 for Mac freezes. I can't use the mouse, so can't use "Force Quit." I have to turn the computer off, losing whatever is open, and start again. > Try ALT+APPLE+ESC. I have the same problem, how haven't they caught this maj...

Block a excel file from being copied?
I am trying to stop others from saving a file under a different name. Is it possible? Not really. Users can copy the file using windows explorer. And anything I could do to make sure that it's where it's supposed to be (and named correctly) would rely on macros. And macros can be disabled. SG Hurst wrote: > > I am trying to stop others from saving a file under a different name. Is it > possible? -- Dave Peterson Perhaps "hide" everything in the file, and then have auto-open macro check file name and location, if success, unhide? Dave...

Micrsoft Money 2003 "This program is not responding"
HELP!!! I have some sort of hang up on my MS Money program. I have just spent hour inputing iformation into my Mirsoft Money and all of a sudden in got hung up. The hourglass is present whenever I try to attempt any sort of function. When I try to close the program to save all of my information, a small screen comes up and says, "This program is not responding. If you choose to end the progam immediately you will lose any unsaved data." Does anyone know how to save my data without ending the program, or is there a way to get my program to respond again? The CPU usage ...

Money 2003 never expires!
I just read the EULA for Money 2003, which is what I use. Except for quotes, which I don't use, and Roaming features, which I have no idea what those are, Money 2003 apparently will never expire. So I should be able to download my bank statements and credit card statements into Money 2003 forever. That's the legal agreement that Microsoft and I agreed to when I installed the software. There is nothing in the EULA about expiration except for the following: � Expiration of Certain Features. You will not be able to exercise your rights under this EULA to the following fea...

Folders changing to EXE files
When we tried to access data from our shared drive approx half the folders appeared to have been renamed to an EXE file, ie admin folder to admin.exe file. Further checking showed the folders are still there but are marked as system and hidden and it appears no even the admin account can clear the attributes to get the folders working again. The system has Trend Micro Worry Free Business installed and is not reporting any virus problems. We have a backup but I am worried the same problem will reoccurr, does anyone know what may have caused this problem? Regards Chris ...

Can't attach zip files....
Hi All... I use Outlook XP, recently I found that I can't attach zip files to my emails...does anyone know how to solve this problem? Is it a setting problem? Thanks in advance... Mary ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ What happens when you try? maryy wrote: > Hi All... > > I use Outlook XP, recently I found that I can't attach zip files to my > emails...does anyone know how to solve this problem? > Is it a setting problem? >...

Hyperlink to local image file doesn't open ?
Hi all, I have a sheet listing my comic books. One colum contains links to the a local file, actually a .jpg image file of the cover of the comic book reference on the selected row. Even though the link seems correct, clicking on the cell/link doesn't produce any result (image file doesn't open). How can I obtain Excel to open a simple window (could be my default viewer) with that linked image ? When I alter the link to something wrong, I gat an error message "cannot open the specified file", so I assume that the link indeed correctly points at the physical local fil...

Money Quotes Update
Hi, Where does Money retrieves online quotes for investments? I know that there's a registry key ("http://data.moneycentral.msn.com/Scripts/ invisapi.dll") that indicates the QuoteServerURL, but... is it possible to retrieve quotes from a specific (customized?) server? How can Money retrieve the right quotes for the right country? Regards... On Jan 2, 2:22=A0pm, marco.a.mendo...@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > Where does Money retrieves online quotes for investments? I know that > there's a registry key ("http://data.moneycentral.msn.com/Scripts/ > invisapi....

Comparing 2 Excel files
I have 2 Excel spreadsheets each with about 7 sheets in them tha contain tables with data. Each sheet has a header, which describe what is in the column. Our customer would like us to create a progra that will compare the 2 Excel files and list out what is differen between the two of them. For example, there may be new rows of dat that is in one file but not in the other, rows of data may have bee deleted, or the information in a row may have changed. Is there an way that the tables can be compared between the two files -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi, Take a look: j...

Money Plus 08 SP1 & Vista SP1 "stopped working"
Money Plus Dlx 08 SP1 17.0.120.1415 Vista Home SP1 I now get power exits with a "stopped working" when selecting the Investments tab. Everything else seems to work OK. I suspect one or both of the service packs. Any ideas appreciated, Don 1. Close Money 2. Bring up Internet Explorer and go to the Choice page: http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/controls/setup.asp and choose the Basic Tools 3. Close IE, start Money and see if that resolves the problem. Alternatively in step 2 delete the moneycentral.msn.com cookie -Mark "dbl30569" <dbl30569@discussions.micro...

Converting a Word file to excel spreadsheet
I need to convert a word file of some 300 addresses in the following format: Last Name, First name Address City, State Zip Phone E-mail to an Excel spreadsheet in order to do a mail merge for labels. Does anyone know of a straightforward way to do this? ...

Best approach to splitting 1 file containing multiple xml docs