convert 2002 Money file to 2008 Money file

I have a new Windows 7 computer and have moved my 2002 Money file from my old
computer to My Documents on the new computer.  I have downloaded a trial
version of Money Essentials (2008) thinking I could convert my 2002 Money
file to a 2008 Money file before converting the 2008 Money file to a Quicken
file.

However, when I try to open my 2002 Money file in Money Essentials I get the
message "Money Essentials is unable to open files from other versions of
Money."  I had understood that it should have been able to open the file.

How do I convert my Money 2002 file to a Money 2008 file?
--
Jim
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

I don't currently use either so I'm not sure.  But I would attempt to open
the money file from the 08 version from "File" in the tool bar and see if it
doesn't bring you to a "Repair Money File" option.

I just had this issue with trying to reinstall the momey file after a
destructive restore and after several attempts it worked for me.  Just try
to get to the "Repair Money File" option and the rest will be self
explainatory.

E B-W

"Jim" <jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a new Windows 7 computer and have moved my 2002 Money file from my
>old
> computer to My Documents on the new computer.  I have downloaded a trial
> version of Money Essentials (2008) thinking I could convert my 2002 Money
> file to a 2008 Money file before converting the 2008 Money file to a
> Quicken
> file.
>
> However, when I try to open my 2002 Money file in Money Essentials I get
> the
> message "Money Essentials is unable to open files from other versions of
> Money."  I had understood that it should have been able to open the file.
>
> How do I convert my Money 2002 file to a Money 2008 file?
> --
> Jim

0
NJITGS
2/7/2010 3:54:26 AM
In microsoft.public.money, Jim wrote:

>I have a new Windows 7 computer and have moved my 2002 Money file from my old
>computer to My Documents on the new computer.  I have downloaded a trial
>version of Money Essentials (2008) thinking I could convert my 2002 Money
>file to a 2008 Money file before converting the 2008 Money file to a Quicken
>file.
>
>However, when I try to open my 2002 Money file in Money Essentials I get the
>message "Money Essentials is unable to open files from other versions of
>Money."  I had understood that it should have been able to open the file.
>
>How do I convert my Money 2002 file to a Money 2008 file?

You cannot use Essentials for the purpose. Is your Money 2002 a US
version? If not, check back.

You may or may not have to use Money 2004 trial or Money 2005 trial
as an intermediate step to Money Plus Deluxe trial. Quicken will
then use that version during the conversion.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919524/en-us points the way to the
Money 2004 trial.

If you now have a *.m10 file, that is really your Money 2002 file. I
don't know that you will have such a file. I wouldn't think so, but
I thought I would comment in case.
0
Cal
2/7/2010 5:43:55 AM
Actually, it was from "File" that I tried to open the 2002 Money file, and
that is what generated the message I noted above.
--
Jim

"NJITGS" wrote:

> I don't currently use either so I'm not sure.  But I would attempt to open
> the money file from the 08 version from "File" in the tool bar and see if it
> doesn't bring you to a "Repair Money File" option.
>
> I just had this issue with trying to reinstall the momey file after a
> destructive restore and after several attempts it worked for me.  Just try
> to get to the "Repair Money File" option and the rest will be self
> explainatory.
>
> E B-W
>

> "Jim" <jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a new Windows 7 computer and have moved my 2002 Money file from my
> >old
> > computer to My Documents on the new computer.  I have downloaded a trial
> > version of Money Essentials (2008) thinking I could convert my 2002 Money
> > file to a 2008 Money file before converting the 2008 Money file to a
> > Quicken
> > file.
> >
> > However, when I try to open my 2002 Money file in Money Essentials I get
> > the
> > message "Money Essentials is unable to open files from other versions of
> > Money."  I had understood that it should have been able to open the file.
> >
> > How do I convert my Money 2002 file to a Money 2008 file?
> > --
> > Jim
>

> .

I don't think Essentials will do what you expect of it.

My advice is to hang on to the installation CD for Money 2002, which was one
of the best versions ever made, and a few of your ***.mny & ***.mbf data
files - just in case you don't like Quicken. One of the greatest advantages
of these older programs is that they 'stand alone' and don't 'report home' -
they can not be disabled (by an MS download) will not expire (some time
interval after first installation). For all I know, Quicken may force you to
buy periodic updates.

teabag

"Jim" <jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a new Windows 7 computer and have moved my 2002 Money file from my
>old
> computer to My Documents on the new computer.  I have downloaded a trial
> version of Money Essentials (2008) thinking I could convert my 2002 Money
> file to a 2008 Money file before converting the 2008 Money file to a
> Quicken
> file.
>
> However, when I try to open my 2002 Money file in Money Essentials I get
> the
> message "Money Essentials is unable to open files from other versions of
> Money."  I had understood that it should have been able to open the file.
>
> How do I convert my Money 2002 file to a Money 2008 file?
> --
> Jim

0
teabag
2/7/2010 7:35:35 AM
Thanks.  The path to converting a 2002 Money file to a 2008 Money file was to
first convert it to a 2004 Money file (following method 1 at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919524/en-us) and then converting to a 2008
file using the trial version of Money Plus.
--
Jim

"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:

> In microsoft.public.money, Jim wrote:
>
> >I have a new Windows 7 computer and have moved my 2002 Money file from my old
> >computer to My Documents on the new computer.  I have downloaded a trial
> >version of Money Essentials (2008) thinking I could convert my 2002 Money
> >file to a 2008 Money file before converting the 2008 Money file to a Quicken
> >file.
> >
> >However, when I try to open my 2002 Money file in Money Essentials I get the
> >message "Money Essentials is unable to open files from other versions of
> >Money."  I had understood that it should have been able to open the file.
> >
> >How do I convert my Money 2002 file to a Money 2008 file?
>
> You cannot use Essentials for the purpose. Is your Money 2002 a US
> version? If not, check back.
>

> You may or may not have to use Money 2004 trial or Money 2005 trial
> as an intermediate step to Money Plus Deluxe trial. Quicken will
> then use that version during the conversion.
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919524/en-us points the way to the
> Money 2004 trial.
>

> If you now have a *.m10 file, that is really your Money 2002 file. I
> don't know that you will have such a file. I wouldn't think so, but
> I thought I would comment in case.
> .

convert a date
I have a field Trans date with different formats, some are DD/MM/YYYY and some are DD/MM/YYYY/HH/MM/SS. I want to use the Between begin date and End date. How do I convert all the date to the format DD/MM/YYYY/HH/MM/SS Please help. pon Formatting has nothing to do with how the data are stored. It only presents the data in the specified format. It is possible some of your records may have date and time and others only time. It should not be that way, but it is. If you are trying to compare on date only when there may be time in the field, you can format the values in the query so you ...

Scanning for new files added to directory
I'd like to write a program that can monitor a download directory and identify the addition of new files added. Could someone give a suggestion as to how this could be accomplished. Many thanks, Marcus >I'd like to write a program that can monitor a download directory and >identify the addition of new files added. Could someone give a >suggestion as to how this could be accomplished. Marcus, Have a look at the FindFirstChangeNotification API documentation on MSDN. Dave -- MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq ok, thanks for the tip David "Marcus" <mcde...

Template file size too large
Hello - One of the templates I've created in Excel is 630KB. This seems very large and I'd like to decrease the size as transmitting the file becomes costly. Any idea what might be causing this? The file is 32 rows by 13 columns with alternating grey shading. 26 cells are locked and the file has protection. Some cells have been merged. Thanks! Karin When you hit ctrl-End on that worksheet, where does the cell pointer go? If it's a long way from where you expected it to go, you might be able to reset that lastused cell using some of the techniques at Debra Dalgleish's s...

Money 2003 Problem
The age old problem. Never really backed up upon exiting Money. Computer packs up - no backup file. However a money file (.mny I think) is left in my documents. On attempting to restore it, it initially tells me a location where it will save the backup file. Then it gives the following error message. 'Money cannot locate C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\Backup2 or cannot open it because it is a read-only file, or you do not have permission to change it, or your disk drive is protected. If you have chosen the correct file and it cannot be accessed,you will need to click OK and ope...

how do i create an access code sheet to number my office files an.
im new to this office. the former person made an access code sheet (looks like it was made in excel, but im not sure) the sheet numbers and color codes files that are in the office. i guess the former did not save the sheet, and i need to add new files. So if i need to make a new access code sheet to number and color code all files, which way will be the easiest to do this. (and i've never used excel or word to do this, so please leave how-to instructions) you may want to use word to do this so you can use the label function. you could just as easily do it in excel as well simpl...

Outlook 2002 Rules Wizard Won't Respond
I got overactive in adding Rules to kill SPAM and now Outlook 2002 is permanently deleting items that I would prefer to see. Problem is that I cannot open the Rules Wizard (it won't respond), either using the button or from the Tools menu. When I go to Add-in manager, there is no way to "install" the Rules Wizard. I'd like to clear all of the rules and start over. Your help would be appreciated. J. Pine ...

Copying file names and not the actual file
I have a folder in Excel which contains about 500 files with different file names refering to a different client: e.g. "Proforma Bill Smith-GS010203" "proforma John Smith- CS010302" I am currently tying to set up an Excel spreadsheet and would like to copy just the file names into the spreadsheet - not the actual file. I have been trying to copy and paste, just the file titles and had no luck, as excel only wants to copy the file. In Excel you can "Copy" and "Paste Special" if you want to just copy the values, and I wondered whether you could do ...

save a file on a CD.
I want to save a file on a CD. When I try, I'm told it is not a legal operation ( or something to that effect) and that I must get permission from the 'Administrator". Who would that be?? If you're using File|SaveAs (or its xl2007+ equivalent), then you'll want to make sure that the drive you're using allows you to use it this way. One of my drives has a DLA (Direct Line Access???). This allows this drive to be used the way file|SaveAs would need. The other doesn't allow this. In any event, I wouldn't do this. I think it'll cause more tro...

Allen Browns List files recursively
this is a query relating to allen browns List files recursively contribution via http://allenbrowne.com/ser-59.html brilliant contribution, works really well. the only issue i have is the full path and filename are displayed in the list box, so my list box needs to be the size of the screen to view full path. Is there a way to just get the listbox to display the filename to the user but to also keep the filename and path hidden so that the double click hyperlink still works to open the documents?? On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 04:56:04 -0700, StuJol <StuJol@discussions.microsoft.co...

is there a 3rd party utility to edit my *.nick file?
Hi, I'm running OL2000 IMO. I am aware of how to delete names in my *.nick file, one by one, and how I can rename it or delete to start a fresh *.nick file. I'm looking for a program that will let me edit all the names in my *.nick file at once, kind of like Owtlook (www.DCS-Imaging.com ) lets you edit names in your *.nk2 file. J Adding to my previous post, for clarification, I am aware of MS KB242704 and the program OL2Knick.exe which is useful to edit the list of e-mail addresses containing "nicknames", which is different from editing the list of all e-mail address...

SSRS 2008 and "ReportServer and Reports" IIS Virtual Directories
Hello All, I'm in the process of learning SSRS 2008. I installed SQLServer 2008 on my "Windows 7 Professional" laptop and decided to configure SSRS 2008 later as I had not setup IIS. I enabled IIS v7.5 and configured SSRS with "http://patriot/ReportServer" as the WebService URL and "http://patriot/Reports" as the Report Manager URL. I created a sample report and I'm able to run the report from the Browser. Going by the configuration, I expected two virtual directories to be created (ReportServer and Reports) in the IIS Server but when I c...

Cannot access the "Help" files in Office 2007
Cannot access the "Help" files in Office 2007. I have ran "repair' from the installation CD and still have the same issue. Every time I click the question mark , or hit "F1", for help I get the following message: "There is a problem with one or more installed help files. Please repair your office installation and try again". Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks Britaa: My suggestion would be to just completely reinstall Office 2007 beacuse if you have allready tried to repair it im guessing a file somewhere has been deleted. Hope...

insert data from one excel file into another
Is there any way to insert data from one excel file into another without doing copy and pasting? I need to automate the process of inserting data but I cannot use copy-paste, because it puts data on a clipboard, and my Excel VBA program runs in a multi-user environment. So if one instance of a program is copying data into clipboard, and another instance is pasting it at the same time, it will paste incorrect data. Thank you Leonard. You'll need both spreadsheets open, but try this; Option Explicit Sub MyMacro() Dim MyVariable As String Windows("File2.xls").Ac...

How do I stop numbers from converting into dates?
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel I want to enter 4/1 or 4-1 into a cell but every time I press enter it converts it to 1-Apr. this is very irritating and despite looking in the the various preferences and format tabs I have yet to find a way to stop it. What am I doing wrong? First of all, any formulas need to be preceded by an equals sign (=) to let Excel know that what follows is an 'instruction' to be executed. Otherwise the content is interpreted as a text string or -- as in this case due to the operators you're using ("/&quo...

Microsoft Support and Outlook 2002
Why hasn't Microsoft Support chimed in on the multiple instances of Outlook running? john ...

Insert Picture fails repeatedly in Word 2008 when working with labels
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel When trying to insert a picture (.tif, .jpg, .gif) into a text box on a label document, Word 2008 repeatedly fails, giving the message: "This application cannot open this file. This file is an unsupported graphic format or may be damaged. Try opening this graphic in another application". If I switch back to the regular (non-label) document, I can successfully insert the picture, then I was able to copy and paste it. But after a couple of times doing this, I received the message no matter which document I tried...

Importing email accounts from Outlook 2000 into 2003 (via iaf files)
Hello there, Summary: How to import Email accounts from Outlook 2000 iaf files (created when exporting) into Outlook 2003. Full details: I done what I thought was a great idea, after having a problem with my PC decided to upgrade to Office 2003 (from 2000) Pro as it was offered to me free (Or I could have taken a memory upgrade). Reading this newsgroup it would seem that was a mistake! My current problem is that I cannot import that many email accounts I had created in outlook 2000. One work around is to import first into Outlook Express 6 and then import from there, but I still have to do...

Average return money 2007
Anybody know if money 2007 calculates an average per year % return rate in portfolio/investments. The closest thing I see in annulized return on your investments, is this the same thing? "Richard" wrote: > Anybody know if money 2007 calculates an average per year % return rate in > portfolio/investments. The closest thing I see in annulized return on your > investments, is this the same thing? "Richard" wrote: > Anybody know if money 2007 calculates an average per year % return rate in > portfolio/investments. The closest thing I see in annuli...

Sign in name not associated with this file!
I have been searching all over the WWW for software to crack the password since I thought I screwed up something. I was about to buy some software that crack's the password's, but good thing I checked here first!! Unfortunately i have to say that I am glad I am not the only one.... Hopefully with all of us sending requests to Microsoft, this will be resolved soon.. I also sent a message via the " Microsoft Online Assisted Support. I hope my file is not compromised after this is fixed, because I will be really pissed.. and would end up throwing away about 2 years of deta...

Money 95 to Money 2004
I have Money 95 on my old computer. I have finally updated to a new computer and purchased Money 2004 Premium. How do I or can I transfer my Money 95 data into Money 2004? I tried saving the database to a disc and then importing, but I still do not have access to my account information. any suggestion will be appreciated Deborah Save the .MNY data file from the old machine to a CD or similar; copy from the CD to disk in the new machine, verify that the new copy is not set to Read-Only, then double click on it. Money should take matters from here and upgrade your data file. If follow...

Upload file to SharePoint from machine with CAC
I'm looking for macro functions to upload and download files to SharePoint file sharing site - and I'm running a gov computer with a CAC card, so I don't use user login and passwords to access the SharePoint site I found this code, but is doesn't work: Function WebUploadFile(file, url, user, pass) Dim objXMLHTTP Dim objADOStream Dim arrbuffer Set objADOStream = CreateObject("ADODB.Stream") objADOStream.Open objADOStream.Type = 1 objADOStream.LoadFromFile file arrbuffer = objADOStream.Read() Set objXMLHTTP = CreateObject(&quo...

Outlook 2002 Moving Items to Deleted Items
Strange problem, my outlook is moving new items to the deleted item folder. They appear in the inbox for about 1 second and then are moved I deleted all my rules and the problem still presists. Its only on m POP account too, not on the IMAP account (exchange 5.5). The names ar not listed in the junk mail list either.. any ideas? Is it someho holding onto my rules even though I deleted them and they are no showing up any more in the rules list (which is empty). Any help would be great ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and po...

How do I paste several files together for comparison?
I created seven files that are related to each other and i wanted to put them together in comparison so how do i put these files togther. For example: File#1 is in colum A B C D and i wonder if i could put file # 2 in E F G H....and so on. Thank you. Data all the same in each file? If so then create a single file as follows A B C D E File Hdg1 Hdg2 Hdg3 Hdg4 File1 Col1 Col2 Col3 Col4 File1 Col1 Col2 Col3 Col4 File1 Col1 Col2 Col3 Col4 File2 Col1 Col2 Col3 Col4 File2 Col1 Col2 Col3 Col4 File2 Col1 Col2 Col3 Col4 File3 Col1 Col2...

help!can't open any files
I just loaded & activated Microsoft student/teacher edition 2003. Now all of the previous excel files already saved to my computer will not open. The message "Not able to open-virus scanner has detected a problem" pops up. This even occurs on new docs that I have just created & saved to the systems since installing this new software. Help! ...

Link to send file to an e-mail address
How do I create a link within a workbook to send that workbook to an indicated email address? Thanks. PJ, The following code will create an Outlook MailItem with the current workbook as the attachment Set myOlApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application") 'Dim myOlApp As New Outlook.Application Set myitem = myOlApp.CreateItem(olMailItem) myitem.Display myitem.Recipients.Add Sheet1.Range("a2").Value myitem.Attachments.Add ThisWorkbook.Path & "\" & ThisWorkbook.Name http://HelpExcel.com "-PJ" wrote: > How do I create a link within a wo...