Chart to show Portfolio Value over time?

I'm using Money 2003.

I would like to be able to see the $ value I have in my
portfolio over time. So that I can weep.

Money does have a chart view that allows you to see the
PRICE history for a given stock over time - but not the
dollar value of your investment in the stock over time.

In fact, I can't seem to find a view at all that shows you
the net value of your portfolio/individual stocks changing
over time.

The best I've been able to do is to use the "Net Worth"
report and unselect all the other accounts. This has
insufficient granularity (months instead of days) and
doesn't show individual stock performance.

Quicken would do this, and since I've recently switched,
I'm a bit lost. Please help!

-Omar Aftab
omaraf@microsoft.com

0
oaftab17 (1)
8/16/2003 8:16:32 AM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

Please enlighten me guys? I would have thought that unless you are a
professional or semi-professional trader (in which case Money just isn't for
you) there is no need to see changes in portfolio values at such small time
increments.

Conventional wisdom is that stocks are for the medium to long term - years
not days - so what added value do you get from seeing daily reports.

As I said I am genuinely interested - not knocking.

--
Regards
Bob Peel,

 Hints/Tips
      http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny
 UK Wishes/Suggestions
      mnyukwsh@microsoft.com

"Aloke Prasad" <aprasad123@columbus.rr.invalid> wrote in message
> I have been complaining about the (lack of) this feature for a long time.
> I'm surprised that so few people are interested in tracking their
portfolio
> on a daily basis!!  I see very few complaints like yours or mine.
>
> I use http://moneycentral.msn.com/ after I import my data from the Money
> file (import once only.. no linking!!).
>
> This web service will let you plot your portfolio value on a daily basis.
> --
>
> Aloke
> ---
> to reply by e-mail remove 123 and change invalid to com
>
> "Omar Aftab" <oaftab17@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > I'm using Money 2003.
> >
> > I would like to be able to see the $ value I have in my
> > portfolio over time. So that I can weep.
> >
> > Money does have a chart view that allows you to see the
> > PRICE history for a given stock over time - but not the
> > dollar value of your investment in the stock over time.
> >
> > In fact, I can't seem to find a view at all that shows you
> > the net value of your portfolio/individual stocks changing
> > over time.
> >
> > The best I've been able to do is to use the "Net Worth"
> > report and unselect all the other accounts. This has
> > insufficient granularity (months instead of days) and
> > doesn't show individual stock performance.
> >
> > Quicken would do this, and since I've recently switched,
> > I'm a bit lost. Please help!
> >
> > -Omar Aftab
> > omaraf@microsoft.com

0
Bob_Peel (292)
8/16/2003 2:03:57 PM
I'm just curious about my portfolio, that's all.

Money has this information (it also lets you chart the portfolio value
weekly).  Why not make it possible to chart it daily (for those who would
like to)?  Can't be all that much of a backbreaker to do that ..
--

Aloke
---

"Bob Peel, MVP" <Bob_Peel@kiandra.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> Please enlighten me guys? I would have thought that unless you are a
> professional or semi-professional trader (in which case Money just isn't
for
> you) there is no need to see changes in portfolio values at such small
time
> increments.
>
> Conventional wisdom is that stocks are for the medium to long term - years
> not days - so what added value do you get from seeing daily reports.
>
> As I said I am genuinely interested - not knocking.
>
> --
> Regards
> Bob Peel,
> Microsoft MVP - Money
>
>  Hints/Tips
>       http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny
>  UK Wishes/Suggestions
>       mnyukwsh@microsoft.com
>
> "Aloke Prasad" <aprasad123@columbus.rr.invalid> wrote in message
> > I have been complaining about the (lack of) this feature for a long
time.
> > I'm surprised that so few people are interested in tracking their
> portfolio
> > on a daily basis!!  I see very few complaints like yours or mine.
> >
> > I use http://moneycentral.msn.com/ after I import my data from the Money
> > file (import once only.. no linking!!).
> >
> > This web service will let you plot your portfolio value on a daily
basis.
> > --
> >
> > Aloke
> > ---
> > to reply by e-mail remove 123 and change invalid to com
> >
> > "Omar Aftab" <oaftab17@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > I'm using Money 2003.
> > >
> > > I would like to be able to see the $ value I have in my
> > > portfolio over time. So that I can weep.
> > >
> > > Money does have a chart view that allows you to see the
> > > PRICE history for a given stock over time - but not the
> > > dollar value of your investment in the stock over time.
> > >
> > > In fact, I can't seem to find a view at all that shows you
> > > the net value of your portfolio/individual stocks changing
> > > over time.
> > >
> > > The best I've been able to do is to use the "Net Worth"
> > > report and unselect all the other accounts. This has
> > > insufficient granularity (months instead of days) and
> > > doesn't show individual stock performance.
> > >
> > > Quicken would do this, and since I've recently switched,
> > > I'm a bit lost. Please help!
> > >
> > > -Omar Aftab
> > > omaraf@microsoft.com

0
aprasad123 (105)

RS 2008 Charts Question
I am using RS2005 moving to RS2008 shortly. My question is: in RS2008 if you build a bar graph chart, can you click on one of the bars and display the data that makes up that bar? I know you can do this in Report Builder but is this funcionality available outside of Report Builder? ...

Code to Query SQL Server with a parameter value (entered into an Input Box), and have that value also display in a selected cell on a worksheet
I'm wondering how BEST to accomplish this. I have a EXCEL workbook which populates data to, and retrieves data from SQL Server. I currently have VBA code which effectively sends the data from the EXCEL worksheet to SQL Server tables -- no problem with this. I currently have VBA code which effectively retrieves data from SQL Server and displays that data back into the worksheet -- no problem with this either. I'm currently using a Command Button (on-click event) and the code below to query SQL Server to determine the Max Version Number and add 1 to that value. This value is t...

RMS POS needs an EDC "time out" feature.
RMS POS needs an option for returning a "time out" message if authorizing credit cards is taking more than a specified period of time. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en...

MS Money 2006 doesn't show an ePay that I entered
I just entered an electronic payment into Microsoft Money 2006 Premium. When I did I got some odd behavior. First, it gave me a confirmation box saying that it had submitted the payment. Next it put me back into the same dialog box to enter the electronic payment, but for next month (August), not this month. Third the electronic payment doesn't even show up in the account's ledger. Fourth I got a message box saying that the account was out of sync and that it would be corrected once I got out of MS Money and got back into it, or something to that effect. I did get out of MS M...

Time Formula
What formula do I apply to the following Start time is 10:00 PM and finish time is 7:00 AM Answer is 9 hour shift I need the 9 hour shift to read as 9:00 or simply just 9 I have been trying out the TEXT function but my answer is 15?? Thank you for your replies. Try =MOD(endtime-start_time,1) or perhaps more pedagogical =(endtime<start_time)+(endtime-start_time) start in A1 end in B1 =MOD(B1-A1,1) or =(B1<A1)+(B1-A1) -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "SpiderKat" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6231A72E-986B-495B-8CF7-66815F5AAC8F@microsoft.co...

How to email charts using Excel
Hi All, I need to automatically email(in a single mail) a number of charts(as embedded in the email-body) using Excel. I have coded in VBA such that Each chart is created in different workbook. How can I collate all of these and then send in a single mail?? Can somebody please help?? ...

Line Charts
I have developed a budget tracking tool in Excel and one of the reports I need to generate is a line chart which displays a Cumulative Forecast Amount by month and a Cumulative Actual Spend by month. I have used a table with formulas to calculate the figures for each month. Below is an example: JUL AUG SEP OCT NOV DEC CFA $1830 $3490 $5690 $6100 $8000 $8600 CAS $1570 $2274 $2274 $2274 $2274 $2274 As you can see, the Cumulative Actual Spend figures for Sept onwards are identical as we haven't completed those months. Currently, my Line Chart ...

Copying Excel 2007 Charts as picture into Word
Having a heck of a time trying to automate a process where we copy Excel 2007 charts and paste to a Word document as pictures. The code works and copies all of the relevant ranges from Excel. But when pasting to Word the chart disappears? Not a problem when the desired exhibit being pasted is all text from Excel. But for some reason the chart object (and it doesn't matter what kind of chart, line, bar, pie, etc.) won't copy over to the Word document. Never had this problem in earlier versions of Excel. Always pasted charts fine. Copying out of Excel using: objXL.Range...

Run-Time Error 2501
I'm trying to set up a double click function so I can double click on a sub form and open a main form called "FRM_Tickets-All" and open it to the record that has the matching "internalticketnum" field. When I double click it I get the dreaded "Run-time error 2501. Here is the code I have now: Private Sub Ticket_DblClick(Cancel As Integer) DoCmd.OpenForm "Frm_Tickets-All", , , "[internalticketnum] = '" & Me.InternalTicketNum.Value & "'" End Sub What am I doing wrong? The message means that the WhereCondition string ...

What function to select the last 3 small values from a list ?
Does anyone know how to select the last 3 small values from a list? such as a list {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9} then reture the last 3 small value {1,2,3} Thank you for any suggestion Eric On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 17:31:03 -0800, "Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Does anyone know how to select the last 3 small values from a list? such as >a list {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9} >then reture the last 3 small value {1,2,3} >Thank you for any suggestion >Eric The SMALL worksheet function will do that. The specifics depend on the nature of your list and the result specificati...

Grouping inserted pictues with Charts
Is there a way to group pictures and text boxes with a chart? Hi, I was able to add textboxes and pictures and group them in the normal way even if they where embedded within a chartobject. Can you explain further what you are wanting to do? Cheers Andy Justin_Yuen@hotmail.com wrote: > Is there a way to group pictures and text boxes with a chart? > -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info I want to be able to put pictures, arrows, lines, text boxes, etc in a chart so if I were to copy or move the chart, all of the things I put in the chart will go with it....

Chart Data Table, Data Range, etc. do not update on Chart
I have two Excel Workbooks. Workbook 1 contains the data and a line chart. Workbook 2 contains just a line chart of the same data as in Workbook 1. I copied the line chart from workbook 1 to workbook 2 using copy/paste. If the amounts change with in the existing data range then both line charts (workbook 1 & workbook 2) update fine. However, when I need to change the range of the data to include more cells only the line chart in workbook 1 is updated. The line chart in workbook two does not reflect the changes to the data range made to the line chart in workbook 1. What is the best ...

INVESTMENT: 0 quantity, 1 cent value?
Help: I had two 401(k) mutual fund investments that I contributed to over a great deal of time. Recently I sold the entire positions of both and bought different funds. Now, for these two investments, the reports section of Money 02 is showing 0 quantity, but 1 cent value for each. As a result, I cannot delete these two investments from my investments list, as it says I still have positions in them. So why would Money show a value and say I have a position in an investment that has no quantity, and how do I get rid of this? Thanks, Because it has some non-zero amount that is very, very...

displaying parameter value on report
Hey all, I'm trying to add the parameter value in my report, in a textbox. I have tried is with: =Parameters!Parameter.Label , =Parameters!Parameter.Value and =Join.String(Parameter!parameter.Value,",") Both of them aren't working for me, I get a notification that mt header is moved. Can someone help me with this problem Have you just tried the expression builder. It will let you pick the parameter. Also, is this a multi-select parameter? =Join(Parameters!Container.Value, ", ") The above works, the parameter name was Container. I notice ...

I need help charting
I am new to charting. I need to chart 5 different companies with a cost bid and a cost hit by company. Can you explain how. Very confused. Thanks. Hi, Don't know what a cost hit is? Maybe you can show us some sample data and tell us what kind of chart you need - pie, line, column....? -- Thanks, Shane Devenshire "mgm" wrote: > I am new to charting. I need to chart 5 different companies with a cost bid > and a cost hit by company. Can you explain how. Very confused. > > Thanks. > Hi, Thanks for your response. For example 5 companies, hit and...

Show messages in a folder
Using Outlook 2000 the number of new messages show after the folder name. Is there anyway to change this view to display the total number of messages in the folder? Chris No but that feature is available in OL2003 (sorry if that sounded like a sales pitch... it wasn't) "Chris Whitehead" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:086801c39d68$d37055a0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Using Outlook 2000 the number of new messages show after > the folder name. Is there anyway to change this view to > display the total number of messages in the folder? Ch...

which chart/smart art to use to show this data in power point 2007
Data: CHC is referral unit for 4 PHC's.PHC is a referral unit for 6 sub centres.There is one sub-cenre for every four villages... There are total of 175 CHC's and 1500 PHC's . Sounds like an org chart to me. But that's a lot of info to try to put onto an org chart on one slide. You could span it over slides if it's important for the audience to really see all that info. Somehow I don't think it is, though. You need to decide what the point you're trying to make is. Maybe it would be better to show dots on a map and just say that one CHC refers to ...

putting 2 charts on 1 sheet.
In Excel 2003, it is possible to copy a chart from 1 worksheet and paste on a worksheet that already has a chart? It doesn't seem to want to work right for me. One pastes over the other one. I'm thinking because the sheets that the charts are on originally were created for each chart. I was able to add a worksheet and copy/paste each one onto it just fine so I have what I needed. Was I just trying to do something that couldn't be done the way I was trying? Thanks for any input. Use worksheets instead of chart sheets. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@au...

Info not showing up..
I have a Form with 2 subforms, in the subforms one is for taxable and the other is for non-taxable amounts. I then have a report running from a query that gives me my information. When I have data in the taxable (subform1) subform the report comes out fine. When I have data in the taxable and non- taxable (subform2) subforms the report comes out fine also. When I just have data in the non-taxable (subform2) subform, my report comes out with #error and nothing in the "description"? Also, when I run the report it is putting my “description” in twice from the taxable subform? Can someo...

Pie Chart showing 0
Hey all, I have a pie chart that is showing a "0" for no reason. Even whe there is data being referenced the chart will show the correc percentage and label for all data but the "0;0%" still shows on th chart. I've checked all my source data multiple times and can not fin an error. Please help! -- Keyrookie You first might want to check . . . make sure that the total equals exactly 100% (including rounding). If it does not, Excel will force the pie chart percentages to equal exactly 100%. The forcing of the percentages could cause the zero value to appear. ...

calculation of future value between two dates
HELP please. I am trying to find an easy / short way to calculate future value of a lump sum amount between two dates. The info I will have :- 1. Amount (say $1000 ) 2. Start date of deposit (1st jan 2008) 3. Date to which future value is to be calculated to (1st may 2010) 4. Interest rate ( fixed 10%) 5. Compounded semiannualy. How can I create a formulae to calculate this in one swoop ? "manas123" <manas123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How can I create a formulae to calculate this in one swoop ? For an approximation: =FV(10%/2, DATEDI...

Create Named Range for each unique value
Hi! All help is welcome here... Am really stuck. What I have is a list of room numbers. Many appear multiple times i column A, but it will always be sorted. What I need is a way to easily create Named Ranges for each group of rooms. (ie all rows with value 1 becomes one named range, rows with value 5 becomes one named range and so on) Range Name should prefereable be same a room name. Would like the code to go through column A and create ranges for each unique value. (could also have a "supporting" sheet with uniqe values if necessary) Any takers? If the valu...

Value Search From a List in a Column
I want to use a formula to select from a list of products in a column that is related to 2 variables eg if c1 = 2 and c4 = 400 then sum equals EV-R2-400. The list of products relates to changes in Rx and -x eg EV-R2-400 (cell S1) EV-R8-800 (cell S2) EV-R16-1000 (cell S3) EV-R32-1600 (cell S4) I can use this sum to select just one option, but cannot enlarge it =IF(AND(c1>0,c1<5,c4=400),S1,0) Any ideas, thanks. Sorry Duncan, but I'm having trouble interpreting what you're after. If you are trying to return the Product Number that relates to a certain pair of entries in C1 &a...

Run Time Error 2603
How do change the error message thats prompted when a User opens a form that they don't have permission to open instead of the standard end and debug buttons on the menu with the error run time error 2603 been displayed i just want a simple message box that with a OK button on it. ive tried putting some code on the on error event of the form, from another article but not luck. i tried following. Private Sub Form_Error(DataErr As Integer, Response As Integer) On Error GoTo Errorfnc_mnuOpen_Err Errorfnc_mnuOpen_Err: If Err = 2603 Then If MsgBox("You do not have the n...

Capital gains distribution shows up as a loss in report
Hi, I recorded a distribution from a mutual fund as an "S-Term Cap Gains Dist". When I look at the capital gains report, it shows up as a negative number i.e. (...). Am I using the wrong category? This is Money 2004 Premium. Thanks. Niranjan. In microsoft.public.money, Niranjan Nilakantan wrote: > I recorded a distribution from a mutual fund as an "S-Term Cap Gains >Dist". When I look at the capital gains report, it shows up as a negative >number i.e. (...). Am I using the wrong category? This is Money 2004 >Premium. Thanks. I entered...