Change investment category money market to mutual fund

I mis-identified a mutual fund as a money market. How can I correct this?

I tried exporting to .qif and re-importing, but it ruined my 401k
contribution history.

money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

In microsoft.public.money, Jeff wrote:

>I mis-identified a mutual fund as a money market. How can I correct this?

The easy way is to delete the symbol for the current "mutual fund"
and to rename it to Old MMF or some such. Create a new money market
investment with the proper name and symbol. Do a Sell of the Old MMF
shares and enter a Buy of the new.

That said, there is some advantage to going back and changing them
all. The main advantage is that a mutual fund Sell ends up on your
schedule D, whereas a MM sell does not.

So here is "Changing Mutual Fund to Money Fund":

It is not trivial, but not as hard as it first appears.  A few
minutes should do it.

In the details, remove the existing symbol, and rename the existing
"mutual fund" to something you will never use.  Let's suppose you
choose zzzz.

Create a new money fund with the correct name and symbol.

Change each transaction to the fund using the drop-down list.  My
inclination would be to try starting with the oldest transaction,
but I am not sure that starting with the newest wouldn't be better.
Perhaps we can have discussion on the merits.  What I am worried
about is the allocation of lots for Sells.

In any case, keep going until there are no more zzzz transactions
remaining.  At that point you can "delete" zzzz.
0
via_newsgroup (13114)
1/1/2004 6:39:15 PM
Thanks, Cal Learner, after sending my note I found the unofficial FAQ at
http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/

I'm a new user and I did not have a lot of history recorded, so I opted for
deleting the old investments and starting fresh as of 12/31/2003.

So for 2004 I have correct records. My 2003 stuff was incomplete anyway.

Funny, I have zero acquaintances or relatives who know about newsgroups.
Having you folks as advisers makes me look like a genius.

Thanks, all and today I especially thank Cal Learner! My wish is that 2004
will be your best year ever!

> In microsoft.public.money, Jeff wrote:
>
> >I mis-identified a mutual fund as a money market. How can I correct this?
>
> The easy way is to delete the symbol for the current "mutual fund"
> and to rename it to Old MMF or some such. Create a new money market
> investment with the proper name and symbol. Do a Sell of the Old MMF
> shares and enter a Buy of the new.
>
> That said, there is some advantage to going back and changing them
> all. The main advantage is that a mutual fund Sell ends up on your
> schedule D, whereas a MM sell does not.
>

> So here is "Changing Mutual Fund to Money Fund":
>
> It is not trivial, but not as hard as it first appears.  A few
> minutes should do it.
>
> In the details, remove the existing symbol, and rename the existing
> "mutual fund" to something you will never use.  Let's suppose you
> choose zzzz.
>
> Create a new money fund with the correct name and symbol.

> Change each transaction to the fund using the drop-down list.  My
> inclination would be to try starting with the oldest transaction,
> but I am not sure that starting with the newest wouldn't be better.
> Perhaps we can have discussion on the merits.  What I am worried
> about is the allocation of lots for Sells.
>
> In any case, keep going until there are no more zzzz transactions
> remaining.  At that point you can "delete" zzzz.

Change Status of Closed Batches
After several years of using RMS without QuickBooks Integration we have now got it working. However, all of the previous batches are still showing. Is there a SQL Statement that will change the Status of these batches to Posted, so they will no longer appear and clutter up the "Post Closed Batches" window? We have 4 lanes, using Version 1.2. Thank You David, What I did when I got integrated was to use Quickbooks file for accounting type and posted all the old batches that way. After your done posting you can change the accounting type back to Quickbooks 2003 and your good to...

change business portal domain
When changing the Business Portal Domain, users are requesting a more automated process to update Portal Users information in the following tables for example:- MbfUserWindowsIdentity MbfUser Many sites have 100's of BP users and it is not fesible to remove and re-add user information based on the quantity of users. Scripting or a Utility to achieve the change is a viable option and would save Partners & Customer an immense amount of work, time and frustration. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the m...

Changing the WHITE background color of Money
Hi, I've just installed "Money financial suite 14.0" on my WinXP Pro. Does anyone know how to change the WHITE background color to another color (gray for instance) ? White kills your eyes + the pixels of your screen. White as a background color also goes against basic ergonomics principles ! Thanks! Christian "nospam" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:%23OmHLJF2EHA.2708@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I've just installed "Money financial suite 14.0" on my WinXP Pro. > > Does anyone know how to change the WHITE ba...

Changing cell values through form
Hi... I'm not that good with access so I decided to look for help here. I have a table filled with drivers. Starting number, Driver name, and Number of laps are the columns. My Idea is to make a form that will list all the drivers, and add a value of +1 into the "Number of laps" cell to that driver when double clicked. That would be a sort of Lap counter form... Every suggestion is welcome. -- ::: www.ktvj-online.com - Motocros Portal ::: ::: www.forum.ktvj-online.com - Forum ::: ...

Upgrading to newest money money updates... errors..
I've been using Money 2005 for a month or so... I decided to switch which computer I use it at at home. Just yesterday I think was the last update that asked me to back up my file. Now, I've installed the program on a new computer we got and everytime it tries to download the latest money update it crashes when it goes to install it. It says I dont have access to the file or that it may be 'read only' or not enough disk space (needs 100 megs). I can use the file perfect on the orginal computer, it's not marked read only, and there's over 40GB of space available....

Paying on a credit card in Money
I have a credit card account that I added to my account list and I pay it from another account in Money. Do I treat it as a transfer or do I treat it as a loan payment? In microsoft.public.money, Hugh Veal wrote: >I have a credit card account that I added to my account list and I pay it >from another account in Money. Do I treat it as a transfer or do I treat it >as a loan payment? Not a loan payment. When you first process the first transaction of the credit card payment, set the category as a transfer to the other ( credit card or bank account), or use the equivalent &qu...

Converting Q2002D to Money 2004
Hi all, I'm hoping that someone can help me out. I've bought Money 2004 and need to convert my Q2002Deluxe. Though I keep getting an corrupt file error. I've validated and everything like it says. But I cannot find any other relavant information. Can anyone point me in the right direction???? Thanks for any insights. Steve. There's also a supervalidation option - You hold down Ctrl or Shift or something when trying the validate - perhaps that might help -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny for UK ...

How do I get the newest version of Money 07?
I upgraded from Money 2003 to Money 2007 online through a download back in August. Looking at the info for the service pack coming out, it says I should be running version ending in 1024 or later. When I check my info, it says I am running version 16.0.125.621! How do I update this? It is not yet released give it a couple of days they do not want to rush it so it doesnt cause any problems Steve "Hart" <cahart@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:%238e7X7bAHHA.1012@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... >I upgraded from Money 2003 to Money 2007 online through a download back in ...

Is Version Updated after sp-1 is updated on Money 2007
After you get the automatic software downloaded is it necessary to click onto the sp-1 to install? -- Deb No it is automatic. If I recall, after the SP1 is downloaded, you are prompted to close Money and restart it. After you restart Help > About should give you a version number ending in .1024. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for. "Rebelleheart" <Rebelleheart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messa...

Updating Money Deluxe 2007 question
Will Microsoft keep the Money updates available permanently, as they do with updates for old operating systems like Windows 98? The reason I ask is that, at least in my experience, Money updates have never been a manually downloadable file, but rather once you install the program, Money calls out on the Internet and looks for updates. If Microsoft doesn't keep the updates online, is there any way to download the update files now for permanent keeping? I did a test. I installed Money 2007 Deluxe on my Virtual PC. As soon as I went into the program after installation, it updated ...

word freezes periodically when i am tracking changes, using endnote and inserting pictures from file
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel word freezes periodically when i am tracking changes and using endnote and when i am inserting pictures from file. i seem to have no other options but force quit then i get lots of recovered documents. i am doing doctoral study so my documents have endnote field notes and changes highlighted. <br><br>inserting pictures from file into a word document causes instant hanging. Judging from the array of causes you're listing I believe there may be several things that need to be addressed. Sinc...

Money 2004
I would like to submit my problem to MS but see previous post... Anyways, I am trying to take advantage of the 12 months of credit monitoring and report, but when I click the link, nothing happens. After that, the browser interface stops working on the services page. I also cannot get to the credit center from any other link in the program. All else works fine... Uninstalled Money. Repaired IE. Disabled all background apps. Win 98..... ...

Step change charts
Help, I am trying to create a bar charts by year but only want to show increases and decreases through the middle years as step changes i.e. 1999 100 2000 +10 2001 -30 2002 +40 2003 120 How can I do this? What I should see is the first vertical bar being 100 then from the 100 level an increase of 10 to get to 110 then a decrease bar of -30 (from the 110 level) to get to 80 etc etc. For a tutorial, see the Excel | Charts | Waterfall Chart page of my web site. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Cus...

How can I change the Z-axes of my window or dialog? #2
Hello, All: I am now meetting a problem that the sub-window( or sub-dialog) would not be shown out in front of the parent window, however, I just wanna let it be shown in front of my parent window. Is there anybody who knows how I can set the Z-axes with any function? Thanks in advance! ...

Sync Problem MS Money --> PocketPC
Hi, When MS Money for PocketPC on my new Dell Axim x50v tries to sync with my Money-file on the desktop PC (MS Money De Luxe 2004), Active Sync asks for a password. But when I write the password (plain letters) I use when I open MS Money on the desktop, Active Sync tells me that it isn't correct! Strange ... Any clues?? Thanks in advance, Peter from Sweden Does your PDA use a password (after X minutes)? It's that password vs. your MSN passport. "Peter Fowelin" <PeterFowelin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:74B36003-C10F-4751-A981-E925F0931...

Inventory Changes on Item Property Screen
Is there away to disable the changing of inventory numbers on the Item Propoerties screen. It is way to easy for my employees to make a careless error and inadvertantly change a number. Also, when I copy an item to create a new one, it takes the inventory # of the old item and moves it to the new one, and I need to remember to change it....Can this be disabled? Are you talking about the On Hand Quantity, or the Item Lookup Code? In either case, you can disable the fields using the Security features of RMS. The security features are based on the "Security Level" field in Cas...

How do I change margins from imperial to metric?
How do I change margins from imperial to metric? I'm using Excel 2002 sp2. Any help appreciated. Jojo This is a Windows OS setting, not an Excel setting. You would go to Windows Control Panel>Regional and Language Options>Regional Options tab>Customize and set the "measurement system" to Metric. This option will affect all programs. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 07:29:10 -0700, "Jojo" <Jojo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How do I change margins from imperial to metric? >I'm using Excel 2002 sp2. Any help appreciated. ...

Changing position of OK and Cancel buttons on CPropertySheet
I found out how to eliminate the Apply button on the property sheet. I want to make the OK button be in the lower right corner and the Cancel button just to the left of it. By default the Cancel button is in the lower right corner and the OK button is just to the left of it. How do I make it the way I want it? Thanks, Ken SetWindowPos/MoveWindow joe On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 11:07:08 -0400, "Ken->" <handsom@comcast.netspicedham> wrote: >I found out how to eliminate the Apply button on the property sheet. I want >to make the OK button be in the lower right corner ...

Changing bar graph colours according to value
Is there any way to have the colours of the bars in a bar graph change according to value? Hi, Have a look at Jon's example. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ConditionalChart1.html Cheers Andy nikki8327 wrote: > Is there any way to have the colours of the bars in a bar graph change > according to value? -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Access autonumber field changes to date format when Excel imports
When importing Access data into Excel, the autonumber field in Access is chenged to date format instead of a general number format. I could run a macro to change the number format but this only happens on some Vista machines, not all. Any suggestions as to why this is happening? ...

401K Mutual Fund Manual Price Updates
I have a 401K that tracks NAV of the funds differently than the prices auto-downloaded by Money for the same symbol (don't ask me why???). I have turned off Auto-Update of those funds so I can manually update the fund prices myself. The problem is that no matter how many times I try to delete previous on-line price updates, they remain with the Fund. This is kind of minor, but also kind of annoying. I've learned when I add a new fund to this account to disable price updates before my next update and this works for new fund additions, but the old funds are still maintaining t...

How do I change the $ currency symbol in a balance sheet template
Can someone please help me remove the $ symbol from a template. I've set thre area settings but the 'format' and then 'Cells' option is not open to me. The sheet must be protected. You will have to unprotect the sheet first from the Tools>Protection>unprotect sheet. If it asks for a password, then probably you are not meant to fiddle around with the format of the template! "Dave" wrote: > Can someone please help me remove the $ symbol from a template. > > I've set thre area settings but the 'format' and then 'Cells' opt...

change toolbar depending on sign in and sign out
Hi I am creating a toolbar in ATL,COM and WTL.Now I want to add the feature of changing the toolbar depending on sign in and sign out.after sign in if the user is a registered one then he should see some buttons which are not present at the time when the user is not signed in.Means I want to add the feature which is already present in yahoo toolbar.But how to do it?How can I trap whether user is signed in or not? ...

Question about restarting money
It has been over a year since I have updated my money account. I am ready to start again, but don't know the best way to start over. Do I just start a new account or try to update the old one in some way? any advice will be appreciated Grace Unless you want to input a year's worth of transactions the easiest way is to create a new file. File > New -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money Hints/Tips http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny UK Wishes/Suggestions mnyukwsh@microsoft.com "Grace" <grace_33322@yahoo.com> wrote ...

error changing data type
I have a 500-MB access 2002 database with several numeric fields of type Double. I'm trying to convert the double fields to decimal fields. I get the following error when saving the table after applying the field change: Microsoft Access can't change the data type. There isn't enough disk space or memory. I have 9 GB free on my hard drive, and I have 512 MB of RAM. What do I need to do to convert these fields? Thanks. I forgot to mention that I'm running Access 2002 sp2. Copy the table without carrying the data across, creating an empty table. Make the changes in...