Change catagories

I have searched this site, and can't believe I can't find the answers. So, I 
apologize if this has already been covered.

I am using the trial version of Money 2006.  Previously, I had 2005.  My 
catagories are all screwed up. But worse than that, it will not allow me to 
fix it.  Best example is the catagory for Food.  I want Dining Out and 
groceries to be all under Food.  Money thinks these should all be seperate.  
When I get it to allow Dining Out to be a sub under Food, it wants to keep 
the catagory group as groceries  (which it's not, it's food).  I don't know 
how much of a problem that is.  I cannot beleive that all of my personal 
catagories are gone and have been recatagorized by 2006.  I am considering 
not upgrading for this reason.  Is there anything I can do?
0
noodle1 (2)
8/2/2005 1:22:01 AM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

3 Replies
384 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 5

Take a backup, and then try to delete the 'Dining Out' category. Money 
should ask you where you want the transactions moving to. Choose 
'Food:Dining Out'. When it's all moved, go to the 'Food: Dining Out' 
category details and then change the category group - that is, assuming 
there is a built in category group you wish to use (as you can't create your 
own).

If it doesn't help, then go back to the backup.

-- 
Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money
http://money.mvps.org

Check http://money.mvps.org/faq for tips and fixes for MS Money. To send
Microsoft your product wishes see http://money.mvps.org/wishes.aspx

I do not respond to any unsolicited email regarding Money

"noodle" <noodle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:8CB57659-DE85-4000-9FAB-4BA7B501508D@microsoft.com...
>I have searched this site, and can't believe I can't find the answers. So, 
>I
> apologize if this has already been covered.
>
> I am using the trial version of Money 2006.  Previously, I had 2005.  My
> catagories are all screwed up. But worse than that, it will not allow me 
> to
> fix it.  Best example is the catagory for Food.  I want Dining Out and
> groceries to be all under Food.  Money thinks these should all be 
> seperate.
> When I get it to allow Dining Out to be a sub under Food, it wants to keep
> the catagory group as groceries  (which it's not, it's food).  I don't 
> know
> how much of a problem that is.  I cannot beleive that all of my personal
> catagories are gone and have been recatagorized by 2006.  I am considering
> not upgrading for this reason.  Is there anything I can do? 


0
glyn1 (1534)
8/2/2005 7:32:52 AM
Thought I would update you with a new finding. Although Money took all of my 
Food: dining out and Food: groceries and lumped them all in to Food (general) 
- it is fixable.

Yes, it's aggrevating that it did that, but there are 2 ways to fix it.

Way #1: Go to the Edit Catagories screen
Step 1 - create new subcatagories (in this example Food: groceries and Food: 
dining out
Step 2 - delete MS Money preset catagories (dining out and groceries - see 
money has these catagories but they are not subs of Food and I wanted them 
subs of food)

When you delete them, it will say something like "you have transactions 
assigned to these catagories where do you want them reassigned?" When you 
delete Dining Out, you would simply click on Food: Dining Out and so on

This should probably take care of it. I say probably because I did this in 
two ways and I beleive this is the way it worked as described

If that fails to work, here is fix #2:

Go to Edit Catagory Screen. Double click catagory you want to edit (in this 
case it was Food (general) because that's what it lumped everything under). 
Once there, it shows a window of all Food transactions. You can highlight 
multiple transactions and reassign their catagory ala batch file.

Hold Shift+up or down and highlight all those in a single catagory (ex: all 
that are groceries) and then, click "change catagory" and reassign (ex: Food: 
groceries). I found it helpful here to sort by payee name to do this quickly.

Done. It worked.

Also, it doesn't seem to have messed up most of my catagories.  I think it's 
because my sub was called Food: Dining out and Money has a Main Food and a 
Main Dining Out.  However, where I had other subs I created as in Personal 
Care: Me, Personal Care: son #1, etc) it left those intact.

Hope that helps someone...


"Glyn Simpson, MVP" wrote:

> Take a backup, and then try to delete the 'Dining Out' category. Money 
> should ask you where you want the transactions moving to. Choose 
> 'Food:Dining Out'. When it's all moved, go to the 'Food: Dining Out' 
> category details and then change the category group - that is, assuming 
> there is a built in category group you wish to use (as you can't create your 
> own).
> 
> If it doesn't help, then go back to the backup.
> 
> -- 
> Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money
> http://money.mvps.org
> 
> Check http://money.mvps.org/faq for tips and fixes for MS Money. To send
> Microsoft your product wishes see http://money.mvps.org/wishes.aspx
> 
> I do not respond to any unsolicited email regarding Money
> 
> "noodle" <noodle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:8CB57659-DE85-4000-9FAB-4BA7B501508D@microsoft.com...
> >I have searched this site, and can't believe I can't find the answers. So, 
> >I
> > apologize if this has already been covered.
> >
> > I am using the trial version of Money 2006.  Previously, I had 2005.  My
> > catagories are all screwed up. But worse than that, it will not allow me 
> > to
> > fix it.  Best example is the catagory for Food.  I want Dining Out and
> > groceries to be all under Food.  Money thinks these should all be 
> > seperate.
> > When I get it to allow Dining Out to be a sub under Food, it wants to keep
> > the catagory group as groceries  (which it's not, it's food).  I don't 
> > know
> > how much of a problem that is.  I cannot beleive that all of my personal
> > catagories are gone and have been recatagorized by 2006.  I am considering
> > not upgrading for this reason.  Is there anything I can do? 
> 
> 
> 
0
noodle1 (2)
8/3/2005 3:54:23 AM
For those who don't want the same complication, please read carefully and 
heed carefully http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=163.

"noodle" <noodle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:B35473FB-33DA-4E49-B324-FCD280AD4479@microsoft.com...
> Thought I would update you with a new finding. Although Money took all of 
> my
> Food: dining out and Food: groceries and lumped them all in to Food 
> (general)
> - it is fixable.
>
> Yes, it's aggrevating that it did that, but there are 2 ways to fix it.
>
> Way #1: Go to the Edit Catagories screen
> Step 1 - create new subcatagories (in this example Food: groceries and 
> Food:
> dining out
> Step 2 - delete MS Money preset catagories (dining out and groceries - see
> money has these catagories but they are not subs of Food and I wanted them
> subs of food)
>
> When you delete them, it will say something like "you have transactions
> assigned to these catagories where do you want them reassigned?" When you
> delete Dining Out, you would simply click on Food: Dining Out and so on
>
> This should probably take care of it. I say probably because I did this in
> two ways and I beleive this is the way it worked as described
>
> If that fails to work, here is fix #2:
>
> Go to Edit Catagory Screen. Double click catagory you want to edit (in 
> this
> case it was Food (general) because that's what it lumped everything 
> under).
> Once there, it shows a window of all Food transactions. You can highlight
> multiple transactions and reassign their catagory ala batch file.
>
> Hold Shift+up or down and highlight all those in a single catagory (ex: 
> all
> that are groceries) and then, click "change catagory" and reassign (ex: 
> Food:
> groceries). I found it helpful here to sort by payee name to do this 
> quickly.
>
> Done. It worked.
>
> Also, it doesn't seem to have messed up most of my catagories.  I think 
> it's
> because my sub was called Food: Dining out and Money has a Main Food and a
> Main Dining Out.  However, where I had other subs I created as in Personal
> Care: Me, Personal Care: son #1, etc) it left those intact.
>
> Hope that helps someone... 


0
8/5/2005 2:14:39 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Change Bussines Unit
I want to move crm user form one business unit to another. Is it possible to do it in CRM ? Yes, it is possible. Go to user list and from the tool bar select Change business unit... Do not open the users details! Mike "Mark" wrote: > I want to move crm user form one business unit to another. Is it possible to > do it in CRM ? ...

Permissions in AD for ADD/Change/Modify smtp proxy addresses
I have an Accounts Operator group that no longer can add or modify the SMTP Proxy email addresses in user properties. Don't know what happen, but could someone please tell me what specific permissions I need to give them to be able to add/change these addresses in user properties?? Thanks, Dana ...

Changing the Exchange Orginization Name
I'm trying to mount a mailbox store that was from another domain. After using esutil to clean the db, it still won't mount. The error I get points out that the Distinctive names are different. Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeIS Event Category: General Event ID: 1088 Date: 11/19/2003 Time: 11:10:31 PM User: N/A Computer: MACHINE_A Description: The information store could not be loaded because the distinguished name (DN) /O=ABC CORPORATION/OU=FIRST ADMINISTRATIVE GROUP/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN= of message database "First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (MACHINE_A)" does not m...

Change color
I've a form on which there is a check box TaskComp and a text box TaskDate. Using the following VBA code, when the check box is checked, the Date in the text box is set to the current date. This works fine. Private Sub TaskComp_AfterUpdate() If TaskComp.Value = -1 Then TaskDate.Value = Date Else TaskDate.Value = Null End Sub I want the background color of the text box to change from whit to red when the check box is echecked, so I added to the code: Private Sub TaskComp_AfterUpdate() If TaskComp.Value = -1 Then TaskDate.Value = Date Else TaskDate.Value = Null If TaskCom...

Urgent help: change outlook default conatct form
Hi all, We added several fields to contacts in the standard form (design mode). We want this form to become users' default conatct form. Also, old contacts are able to launch from this new customized form. are these possible? exchange 2003/outllokk2003/outlook 2007) Yes. This is possible. You need to change the form on the folder properties and then run a program to change the IPM form used on existing items. See the last two sections at http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/publish_form.htm for details and link to the program. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] ...

Changing Source excel file causes links in word to fail
I've got a Word document with about 600 links to an excel spreadsheet. Updating the links works fine until the source excel file is changed thenword changes some portion of the links from Unformatted Text to a spreadsheet cell. Changing the links manually or with a macro there are some observed changes in the links. The cells that change are changed from Automatic to Manual and this happens to all of the cells on a single Excel row. There's nothing wrong with the data and the spreadsheet formats are identical. When I go back to the original settings I can change the ...

Change Admin Group
Is anyone aware of a workaround for changing a server from one Administrative Group to another? I know they aren't easily moved looking for a hack if available. Many thanks, Jeff "Jeff Abbott" <jeff.abbott@veritas.com> wrote: >Is anyone aware of a workaround for changing a server from one >Administrative Group to another? I know they aren't easily moved looking >for a hack if available. Moving the server's easy. Making it work after you do it's a bitch. Moving an object between containers with ADSI isn't hard. Getting all the objects renam...

charting a single changing DDE cell
I have a spreadsheet that captures real time stock data via a DDE link. The cell captures the last price of a stock as it changes over time. Can you chart that changing cell as the day progresses. Maybe capture the data and then chart it or a macro which plots that cell every minute? Bob You would need to capture the value of that changing cell periodically in a growing table, possibly in a different sheet. For example, every time you update it via the DDE, you could run a code that copies the value of the cell to the last row of the table. Use a dynamic chart to plot the values in t...

cell font color changes
When i change a cell font to grey in Excel why doesn't it print grey when sent to a black printer. it only prints grey if sent to a color printer hi, Because the B/W printer can only print in black. the color printer can print in colors and to the printer gray is just another color. regards Frank >-----Original Message----- >When i change a cell font to grey in Excel why doesn't it print grey when >sent to a black printer. it only prints grey if sent to a color printer >. > Also, some b/w printers offer a "grayscale" option under Print Qualit or the lik...

Change Exchange Virtual Directory URL
Hi, how can i change the virtual directory in Exchange OWA URL default path is https://servername.domain.tld/exchange for OWA. I would like OWA is available by https://servername.domain.tld/ without /exchange in URL. Is that possible, with minimal administrative effort? Thanks Florian http://support.microsoft.com/kb/293386/en-us. "flabs" <flabs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FB9525E2-9246-43A3-A309-06F6B025D5C4@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > how can i change the virtual directory in Exchange OWA URL > default path is https://servername.domai...

How do I change default file locations in Publisher 2007?
any answers gratefully received! You can't. You can put a folder into My Places, when you save a Publisher document, click on that folder. It is an extra step, the developers forgot to include a default path option. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Jake" <Jake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:80F4F34D-FF54-400F-81BE-6388FFA564A4@microsoft.com... > any answers gratefully received! Thanks Mary. LEt's hope it will be added in the future! Best JAke "Mary Sauer"...

Rotate a page to change its view in OneNote?
How do i rotate a page to change the view in OneNote? I want to rotate a page 90 degrees from portriat to landscape. -------- Original-Nachricht -------- > How do i rotate a page to change the view in OneNote? I want to rotate a > page 90 degrees from portriat to landscape. There is no ability in ON to rotate a page, even not for pictures. But for pictures/printouts there is a powertoy: http://blogs.msdn.com/johnguin/archive/2007/12/14/image-rotator-powertoy-for-onenote-2007.aspx Bernd ...

Word randomly changing my figures and tables captions
I'm trying to format a large document, with over 150 tables and figures in it. I've used captions to label them all, but I'm now finding that Word is randomly changing some that I have specified as 'table' to 'figure' and vice versa. This particularly seems to be happening with tables and figures that appear on the same page, but is not restricted to these instances. As soon as I change one caption back to the correct type, the one below will change itself to the wrong type again! I need the captions to remain as I've entered them for my table of f...

Changing database used with ODBC link
I have a excel spreadsheet containing many (we're talking thousand here!) of cells which look-up information via an ODBC link to our SQ Server database. This database has recently changed, so I need to mak every one of these queries point to a new database in the system Unfortunately the name of the database appears to be hardcoded in t each query. I have tried in vain to do a search and replace in a tex editor on the spreadsheet, but as I feared once I have done this th spreadsheet no longer opens. Is there any way to globally update the queries used? I don't fanc manually updating e...

Change Font
I'm a SharePoint user. Sometimes when I post data into a SharePoint list field, the text appears in a format that differs from the rest of the data on the page. Sometimes it stays in the source format and sometimes it changes to another font that does not match the other cells on the page. How do I change the field fonts in SharePoint? I can find no command for this. The only place I'm aware of where fonts matter in SP fields are in the so-called "multiple line of text" type of field. There you are allowed to define fonts as it's sort of like a mini-w...

how do i change the default number type which is formatted in new.
how do i change the default number type which is formatted in new spreadsheet Create a new workbook Change the Normal style (Format>Styles from the menu) to reflect your preferred number format. You can also change font style and size if your prefer. Save the workbook as a template - choosing File>Save As and select Template under the 'Save As Type' dropdown at the bottom, saving it with the name BOOK.XLT in the directory C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\XLStart\ If you have an older or newer version, you may not see the Office10 subdirectory, so adjust as appr...

PO won't allow status change
Hi, we have a po, GP 10, the status is released. I want to cancel it but when we attempt to cancel it tells us we cannot change the status when an item has been received against it. I can't find where to tell what was received. I have tried to receive, receive & inv., match and nothing appears when each process is applied. Help says to remove a PO w/a Released status, close or cancel, but we are unable. Any suggestions? -- P McCarthy You can click on each line item on the PO and them click the Purchasing Quantity Status icon (the i in a circle) to see the detailed informati...

Change Office Language by User
I think I've read enough in these pages to know that it's not possible to get Office to work in more than one language for a single User (I mean menu commands, dialogs, etc. -- not talking about dictionaries, puntuation, etc.). But does anyone know whether or not Office can be configured in two different languages on the same Mac (Mac mini, 10.4, pre-Intel), one different language for each of two different Users? When my Mac starts up, I have two Users set up, one for me in English, one for my mother-in-law in French. The OS is perfectly comfortable switching back and forth between la...

How to change windows appearance scheme?
Hello, How can I set the windows appearance scheme. Specifically I need to force the appearance scheme to Windows Standard. Also related can the appearance scheme be set to Windows Standard for just the application i.e. without affecting the appearance scheme for other applications and the desktop? Thanks, CarlH. As far as I know, this is not possible. The color scheme is at the discretion of the user. joe On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 12:18:59 -0400, "CharlesC" <Charles@bscinforma.com> wrote: >Hello, > >How can I set the windows appearance scheme. Specifically I ...

Reversing changes made to an excel document
Does anybody know if you save an excel spreadsheet after making many changes, can you reverse those changes after it has been saved to your local C drive ? Use your backup that did not have the same save on it "Laurie" <laurie.richroath@sulzer.com> wrote in message news:2f6901c373d6$7f156510$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Does anybody know if you save an excel spreadsheet after > making many changes, can you reverse those changes after > it has been saved to your local C drive ? ...

Can I change the Navigation Pane Buttons default?
Many of our users here use the Public Folders to share contacts and/or calendars within a department. We just upgraded to 2003 from 97. In 97, one could drag or add a shortcut to the Outlook bar from Public Folders, and remove or move other shortcuts. Along those lines, users would like to click on the "Contacts" button in the Navigation Pane, and have it go directly to a public contacts folder (one click access). Is this possible? I know all about the shortcuts option, AND the favorites folder option, but I want to know if the default place those buttons point to can be ch...

Specify Rows and Cols for worksheet Change Event?
Hi, Can someone please tell me how to change the below Visual Basic code (originally from Nick H.) for excel so that the Target area it applies to is not columns A:A but applies only to Columns J thru M and Rows 25 thru 36. ORIGNAL REPLY: You could use a worksheet change event. The code below will present a message box on each entry. Test it with validation first. As written it only works with entries in column A (The code goes behind a worksheet in the workbook. Right click on a sheet tab and select 'View code'. Paste the code in the resultant window) Private Sub...

Investment
Money 3000. Money has incorrectly classified my Stocks as Mutual Funds. How can I change that? In microsoft.public.money, Denis wrote: >Money has incorrectly classified my Stocks as Mutual Funds. >How can I change that? This could have come about when converting from Quicken. When you convert a custom data type from Quicken, it generally comes over as a fund. It is not trivial, but not as hard as it first appears. A few minutes should do it for each stock. In the details, remove the existing symbol, and rename the existing "mutual fund" to something you will never use. L...

Changing the font of text in a check box
How do I change the font properties in a check box? I would like to have the font bold and a different color. Thanks Irie! Right click the CheckBox, choose properties. Iriemon;575152 Wrote: > How do I change the font properties in a check box? > > I would like to have the font bold and a different color. > > Thanks > > Irie! -- Simon Lloyd Regards, Simon Lloyd 'Microsoft Office Help' (http://www.thecodecage.com) ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Simon Lloyd's Profile: http://www.the...

Need to change pic viewer in Excel
When I was running XP Home I could open a link to a picture in Windows FAX viewer. But in running XP Pro the picture opens in IE which causes multiple browser windows to close if viewing several linked pictures. This is an Excel newsgroup. You should post your question to a WindowsXP Pro newsgroup. HTH Otto "rgroff" <rgroff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:46469ECB-F3B4-4F33-9FAC-8496239F14C2@microsoft.com... > When I was running XP Home I could open a link to a picture in Windows FAX > viewer. But in running XP Pro the picture opens in IE which...