Cash Transactions on Investment account

Hello,
I have an investment account, and I hate that Money Plus shows the overall
"Account Value" as some small value.  That is because the "Cash Transactions"
counts against the overall value.  So what is really worth $10,000 is shows
the account value as $1,000 because the cash transactions are ($9,000).
I see that under Account Settings I can remove the ability to track cash
transactions.

Since I am somewhat new to MS Money, will I regret not tracking cash
transactions?  I see that going this way will result in my inability to
download transactions, but I guess I am willing to live with this?  I mean,
if my account is worth $10,000 I want it to show $10,000

Can anyone give me some advice?
Brad
0
bpvarian (17)
3/9/2008 6:34:00 PM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

In microsoft.public.money, bpvarian wrote:

>I have an investment account, and I hate that Money Plus shows the overall
>"Account Value" as some small value.  That is because the "Cash Transactions"
>counts against the overall value.  So what is really worth $10,000 is shows
>the account value as $1,000 because the cash transactions are ($9,000).
>I see that under Account Settings I can remove the ability to track cash
>transactions.
>
>Since I am somewhat new to MS Money, will I regret not tracking cash
>transactions?  I see that going this way will result in my inability to
>download transactions, but I guess I am willing to live with this?  I mean,
>if my account is worth $10,000 I want it to show $10,000

When you get a Buy of a security for $1000, the cash came from
somewhere. So the thing that you are probably missing is the Deposit
or Transfer of the funds into the cash transactions register. Best
would be to add that.  To catch up, you could add a single $9,000
Deposit to compensate for prior Deposits and/or Transfers

But if you would prefer to not track the cash, that's your choice.
0
via_newsgroup (13114)
3/9/2008 8:19:05 PM
Hi Cal,
As always thanks for your replies.
You are correct, as I have only recently used MS Money so I was not tracking
the cash used ot buy these shares way back when.

So if I use your "trick" of adding a one time deposit to make up for this
fact... how do I go about that?  I mean, doesn't that money also have to come
from somewhere?  Money won't just let me add a deposit out of no where for
$9,000 will it?
thanks,
Brad

"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:

> In microsoft.public.money, bpvarian wrote:
>
> >I have an investment account, and I hate that Money Plus shows the overall
> >"Account Value" as some small value.  That is because the "Cash Transactions"
> >counts against the overall value.  So what is really worth $10,000 is shows
> >the account value as $1,000 because the cash transactions are ($9,000).
> >I see that under Account Settings I can remove the ability to track cash
> >transactions.
> >
> >Since I am somewhat new to MS Money, will I regret not tracking cash
> >transactions?  I see that going this way will result in my inability to
> >download transactions, but I guess I am willing to live with this?  I mean,
> >if my account is worth $10,000 I want it to show $10,000
>
> When you get a Buy of a security for $1000, the cash came from
> somewhere. So the thing that you are probably missing is the Deposit
> or Transfer of the funds into the cash transactions register. Best
> would be to add that.  To catch up, you could add a single $9,000
> Deposit to compensate for prior Deposits and/or Transfers
>
> But if you would prefer to not track the cash, that's your choice.

0
bpvarian (17)
3/9/2008 8:31:00 PM
In microsoft.public.money, bpvarian wrote:

>You are correct, as I have only recently used MS Money so I was not tracking
>the cash used ot buy these shares way back when.
>
>So if I use your "trick" of adding a one time deposit to make up for this
>fact... how do I go about that?  I mean, doesn't that money also have to come
>from somewhere?  Money won't just let me add a deposit out of no where for
>$9,000 will it?

It will. If you don't want to use a category, and you are not using
the Business version, you could leave the Category blank. Or you
could make a category called Adjustment.

Alternatively, you could adjust the starting balance for the
account. That would probably appeal to some people's sense of order
better than the compensating deposit. To do that, right click the
account name in the AccountList and go to Settings. Change the
OpeningBalance field.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)