Cash Balance in investment transactions vs. that in cash transacti

In one of my investment accounts, the cash balance shown in "investment
transactions" differs from the balance shown in "cash transactions".  The
difference is int the amount of a certain dividend that was paid prior to 2nd
quarter this year.  The dividend entries appear to be ok.  The amount shown
under cash transactions is correct.  The amount under investment transactions
is in error and this is the value that shows up in the portfolio and the
monthly report generated under "Reports".  What is strange is that I balanced
this account at the end of the 1st quarter and there was no problem.  I use
2004 deluxe.
Thanks,
Don

money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

In microsoft.public.money, plymouthguy wrote:

>In one of my investment accounts, the cash balance shown in "investment
>transactions" differs from the balance shown in "cash transactions".  The
>difference is int the amount of a certain dividend that was paid prior to 2nd
>quarter this year.  The dividend entries appear to be ok.  The amount shown
>under cash transactions is correct.  The amount under investment transactions
>is in error and this is the value that shows up in the portfolio and the
>monthly report generated under "Reports".  What is strange is that I balanced
>this account at the end of the 1st quarter and there was no problem.  I use
>2004 deluxe.

See
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;838713&Product=mny
0
via_newsgroup (13114)
7/5/2006 8:48:26 PM
In microsoft.public.money, Cal Learner-- MVP wrote:

>In microsoft.public.money, plymouthguy wrote:
>
>>In one of my investment accounts, the cash balance shown in "investment
>>transactions" differs from the balance shown in "cash transactions".  The
>>difference is int the amount of a certain dividend that was paid prior to 2nd
>>quarter this year.  The dividend entries appear to be ok.  The amount shown
>>under cash transactions is correct.  The amount under investment transactions
>>is in error and this is the value that shows up in the portfolio and the
>>monthly report generated under "Reports".  What is strange is that I balanced
>>this account at the end of the 1st quarter and there was no problem.  I use
>>2004 deluxe.
>
>See
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;838713&Product=mny

One more comment. When you get down to method 3 step 5 " Delete all
transactions in the account that you want to troubleshoot.", you
could probably get away with only deleting back to the beginning of
the second quarter. Then when you get to step 9, delete all older
transactions manually in Notepad. Keep the transaction(s) from the
second quarter. That/those are the ones you want to make un-hidden.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
7/5/2006 9:14:42 PM
Cal, Thanks for your response.  I've made some progress but have not solved
problem.  Let me first more clearly define the symptom:  It is an investment
account.  When I click on the account, I can then look at either investment
transactions or cash transactions.  The cash balance shown under the cash
transactions view is correct.  The cash balance shown at the bottom of the
investment transactions page is light by $117.  This turns out to be the
amount of a cash dividend posted on 2/15/06.  I followed method 1 and 2 and
it did not do anything to resolve the discrepancy.  However, in method 3,
step 9 there was a transaction showing in the amount of $117 on 2/15.  (Since
the instructions implied there should be no transactions showing, I assume
this is the problem entry.  So I continued on and when I got to step 15 & 16
(import the QIF file), I got an error saying the file was corrupted.  So I
conclude there is this phantom entry in the account file that is not visible
to me.  Any suggestions?  I could live with this $117 error but it is driving
me crazy.  Also, any thoughts on what I might have done to cause this?
Thanks,
Don

"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:

> In microsoft.public.money, Cal Learner-- MVP wrote:
>
> >In microsoft.public.money, plymouthguy wrote:
> >
> >>In one of my investment accounts, the cash balance shown in "investment
> >>transactions" differs from the balance shown in "cash transactions".  The
> >>difference is int the amount of a certain dividend that was paid prior to 2nd
> >>quarter this year.  The dividend entries appear to be ok.  The amount shown
> >>under cash transactions is correct.  The amount under investment transactions
> >>is in error and this is the value that shows up in the portfolio and the
> >>monthly report generated under "Reports".  What is strange is that I balanced
> >>this account at the end of the 1st quarter and there was no problem.  I use
> >>2004 deluxe.
> >
> >See
> >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;838713&Product=mny
>

> One more comment. When you get down to method 3 step 5 " Delete all
> transactions in the account that you want to troubleshoot.", you
> could probably get away with only deleting back to the beginning of
> the second quarter. Then when you get to step 9, delete all older
> transactions manually in Notepad. Keep the transaction(s) from the
> second quarter. That/those are the ones you want to make un-hidden.

In microsoft.public.money, plymouthguy wrote:

>Cal, Thanks for your response.  I've made some progress but have not solved
>problem.  Let me first more clearly define the symptom:  It is an investment
>account.  When I click on the account, I can then look at either investment
>transactions or cash transactions.  The cash balance shown under the cash
>transactions view is correct.  The cash balance shown at the bottom of the
>investment transactions page is light by $117.  This turns out to be the
>amount of a cash dividend posted on 2/15/06.  I followed method 1 and 2 and
>it did not do anything to resolve the discrepancy.  However, in method 3,
>step 9 there was a transaction showing in the amount of $117 on 2/15.  (Since
>the instructions implied there should be no transactions showing, I assume
>this is the problem entry.  So I continued on and when I got to step 15 & 16
>(import the QIF file), I got an error saying the file was corrupted.  So I
>conclude there is this phantom entry in the account file that is not visible
>to me.  Any suggestions?  I could live with this $117 error but it is driving
>me crazy.  Also, any thoughts on what I might have done to cause this?

When I chased mine down in Money 2004, they were transfers. They may
have involved scheduled transactions.

To confirm we are talking about the same symptom, confirm that the
Money 2004 register gives different balance when the view is changed
to show only unreconciled transactions or in some other way.

If so, I believe that converting the file to Money 2005, and I
assume Money 2006, would be one way to correct the problem. They
added something to the conversion process to fix that up. There is a
free Money 2006 Deluxe trial downloadable via
www.microsoft.com/money

You can have both 2004 and 2006 on your computer at the same time,
installed into different folders.  You can have them open, one at a
time. If you want to do that, be careful to not have Money 2006
uninstall earlier versions. I think that might be the default, so be
alert.

The only caveats I can think of are the last-installed is set up
with the file associations, so when you download an OFX or QIF, the
last installed gets fed the file.  To feed the file to both, save
the file to disk, and do File->Import to both.  Just clicking a
link sends the file to the last-installed.  You could manually
adjust the associations, or could reinstall 2004 to reset the
associations.

Copy your Money 2004 file to another filename such as Mon06.mny.
If there is a Passport on the file, open the copy with Money 2004
and remove the passport before converting.  It may not be good to
use the same Passport on both.  There may be no problems with that.
I am just not sure.  You can add a DIFFERENT Passport to that file
if you like, but I would not have the same Passport on both files.

If you think that you may want to return to Money 2004, be sure to
update both versions with new transactions.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
7/6/2006 7:56:26 PM
Jumping in on this -- which version of Money? As I remember the issue (and I
experienced it personally), the phantom transaction will disappear will an
upgrade to a newer version. I can't remember which versions are involved --
2004 -> 2005?

--
Michael Gordon
MVP

"plymouthguy" <plymouthguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Cal, Thanks for your response.  I've made some progress but have not
> solved
> problem.  Let me first more clearly define the symptom:  It is an
> investment
> account.  When I click on the account, I can then look at either
> investment
> transactions or cash transactions.  The cash balance shown under the cash
> transactions view is correct.  The cash balance shown at the bottom of the
> investment transactions page is light by $117.  This turns out to be the
> amount of a cash dividend posted on 2/15/06.  I followed method 1 and 2
> and
> it did not do anything to resolve the discrepancy.  However, in method 3,
> step 9 there was a transaction showing in the amount of $117 on 2/15.
> (Since
> the instructions implied there should be no transactions showing, I assume
> this is the problem entry.  So I continued on and when I got to step 15 &
> 16
> (import the QIF file), I got an error saying the file was corrupted.  So I
> conclude there is this phantom entry in the account file that is not
> visible
> to me.  Any suggestions?  I could live with this $117 error but it is
> driving
> me crazy.  Also, any thoughts on what I might have done to cause this?
> Thanks,
> Don
>
> "Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:

>> >See
>> >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;838713&Product=mny
>>

>> One more comment. When you get down to method 3 step 5 " Delete all
>> transactions in the account that you want to troubleshoot.", you
>> could probably get away with only deleting back to the beginning of
>> the second quarter. Then when you get to step 9, delete all older
>> transactions manually in Notepad. Keep the transaction(s) from the
>> second quarter. That/those are the ones you want to make un-hidden.

0
gordonm (1013)
7/7/2006 12:32:49 AM
In microsoft.public.money, Michael Gordon, MVP wrote:

>Jumping in on this -- which version of Money? As I remember the issue (and I
>experienced it personally), the phantom transaction will disappear will an
>upgrade to a newer version. I can't remember which versions are involved --
>2004 -> 2005?

That's my recollection too, and he is using 2004. I would guess that
2004 -> 2006 would be the same as 2004 -> 2005 in that regard, but I
don't know.
0
via_newsgroup (13114)

Cash Drawer Not Opening
We have a following problem, the cash drawer even that is seems to be setup correctly after random amount of transaction it just stops opening. Once we exit and reopen the Store Op. POS it works fine for another while. Would anyone have an idea what can be causing that behaviour? Regards, Greg (we tried with different versions of Epson OPOS drivers, and different type of printers) / RMS version 1.2, 1.3 ... / This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_03AA_01C77133.9891C7F0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-pr...

beginning balance historical year
I am entering beginning balances in General Transactions Entry window for the previous year 2003. The year is marked as a historical year and I am using the last day from the historical year as the transaction date. When printing the edit list, the Batch Total Actual is the sum of the debit and credit entries from the source document. When looking at the edit list, all the entries are printed twice, while I have entered them only once, and the total per debit and credit entries also is double. When printing a historical Trial Balance the totals are o.k. Where the double entries are coming...

Account Segments not displaying properly Trial Balance
We have 4 workstations running GP 10.0. On 2 of the workstations, when we print/display the Trial Balance the 2 and 3rd segments of the account number do not display properly. Our account number consists of 3 segments, acctnum-branch-region We have over 80 branches and without the branch number displaying properly the Trial Balance from these 2 workstations is useless. I have tried to download and update the newest printer drivers as per Crystal Reports, updated video card drivers, use Named Printers and so far I have not had any luck. Anyone have an idea? I have pasted an example be...

Manufacturing Scrap Transactions
Version 10, seems to be an issue with the Scrap Transaction Type of the component transaction entry window. 1. Picklist calls for 6 of component XYZ 2. Component Transaction entry is used to kit the 6 components 3. Later the 6 issued are scrapped using the Scrap transaction type 4. Picklist is increased by 6 and 6 more are issued to the MO 5. Now I want to Scrap the 2nd 6, and when I go to the Scrap transaction type, there is none available in WIP to Scrap. 6 The information button for that component shows 12 issued, 6 scrapped but there is none to scrap now... Is this...

How can I add transaction while using the online version of money
Ok... when I first bought Money several years ago and installed it on my home computer, I could then login while at work via the passport and see the information that I had entered on my home computer. If I purchased something during the day I could go online and add the transaction which was great way to know at any given moment what my TRUE balance was in my account. Now when I check my Money account online from work I can see all the information I've entered at home but now there is no way to add a new transaction other then from my home computer where I have Money installed. ...

Categorizing multiple transactions
I downloaded my transactions and of course some had blank categories. I want to be able to somehow categorize the payee so I don't have to modify hundereds manually (there all the same category) and I also want these to be automatically recognized when new transactions of the same are downloaded. ...

Document Date vs. Batch Date
Can someone explain to me the difference between document date and batch date. The way I understand it, the document date refers to the date the item will hit the subledger and the batch date (if batch date is the posting option) refers to the date the transaction will hit the general ledger. Is this correct? Does this mean that if I have all my periods open for a year and I enter a cash receipt transaction with a document date of 05/01/04 in a batch with a batch date of 06/01/04 that my subledger will not balance to my general ledger for that month? Elizabeth, You've got it ...

Business Type Code Vs Industry
Hello, Can someone explain the difference between Business Type Code & Industry? What is the role or purpose of Business Type code. If anyone knows of any resources that could explain the intended purpose of this and some of the other fields on the account object such as Classification, and Category that would be great. Hi, It totally depends upon your business requirments. If you think some field is not required then just remove it or modify it to suit your requirments. There are many attributes of Account which are not even shown on Account Form by default but they are there in ...

Documents & Settings vs. Users folders
OS: Vista Business; upgraded from Win XP Pro SP3. Joined to a WinSer 2003 domain. I just noticed that I have (near) identical files and folders in my C:\Documents and Settings folder and the C:\Users folder. Is this because it was an upgrade? Is there a way to eliminate one of them to free up some HD space? -- Mike Webb Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc. a conservation non-profit (501 (c)(3)) organization Wood River, NE In article <8B0B66B9-1E62-479D-BC74-BF79A50895E6@microsoft.com>, Mike_in_Nebraska@newsgroup.nospam says... > > OS: ...

Cash Receipts Apply to
Using IM to import cash receipts. The apply to exceeded the receipt amount and it was posted - is there a way to unapply part of this? If I go to the apply to window and try to unapply I receive an error. If I try to apply anything else for this customer I receive another error. Any suggestions? Thanks! ...

Thumbnails vs. preview for "Insert Picture."
I am using publisher 2000. I work with thousands of photos. I would like the "thumbnail" option when I choose to "insert picture," but this option is not available. This option seems to be available to me in other programs, but is absent in Microsoft Publisher 2000. Have I overlooked some setup option or does anyone have any ideas? Do I need to upgrade? My only current options are: Preview; Details, icons, list. Fran In Publisher 2000 when you select insert picture from file it does show a single preview. You can drag and drop or copy/paste from your photo folde...

.NET Classes: Visio Pro without VS
Hi, I own Visio 2007 Professional, but I do not own Visual Studio -- I only have the Express editions. Because of that, I cannot reverse engineer from Visual Studio to get .NET classes into Visio. How can I get .NET classes into Visio Pro 2007 without the functionality of an entirely separate product? Thanks, John Unfortunately, you have no way to do it in Visio 2007. You will need to have visio 2003 for enterprise architect, reverse and use it in Visio 2007 Enjoy with Visio. <jar349@gmail.com> a �crit dans le message de news:7066a237-0f2d-464b-ba43-5ad053e8dcb4@d4g2000prg.googleg...

Postponed balance
Hi there, Several months ago I had postponed a balance attempt. Now when I want to balance Money remembers the last attempt. How do I get Money to forget about the last balance attempt? Thanks in advance for any sugestions. Ken In microsoft.public.money, Ken Reeves wrote: >Hi there, > >Several months ago I had postponed a balance attempt. >Now when I want to balance Money remembers the last >attempt. > >How do I get Money to forget about the last balance >attempt? > >Thanks in advance for any sugestions. > >Ken The opening balance is the net sum of ...

VBA in .mdb vs .adp
Hi, I just start reading about projects in Access, I have learned a lot of VBA in a .mdb application, my question is, the VBA code in a access project is the same that in a .mdb application? or I need to learn a new way of programing. Thanks Orlando <Orlando@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, I just start reading about projects in Access, I have learned a lot of >VBA in a .mdb application, my question is, the VBA code in a access project >is the same that in a .mdb application? or I need to learn a new way of >programing. > >Thanks The VBA programming lang...

Remove old stock transactions
I have Money and Business 2002. I want to remove old, ancient stock transactions. How can I remove them in bulk instead of one - by -one (that will take years)? ...

Investment report for totals of activities
I can create a report Performance By Account, but it shows the Buys to include all Buys AND Add Shares. The Short Sells are already there, so that one's ok. Is there a way to separate them so I can see each of the totals separately? Another way I found was to create an Investment Transaction report and it sorts in all 3 activities, but won't give me a total of each. I'm not referring to the column "Total", but I want a total of ALL the Buys, ALL the Short Sells and ALL of the Add Shares. One combined total of each activity. IS there a way of doing this? Tracy ...

Statistics Update: Fullscan vs. Sample
Excluding time considerations for statistics update, is there a reason why I would want to choose fullscan over sample feature? In which situations would fullscan be preferable? Thanks in advance When you're not getting acceptable query response times from a properly indexed table. That said, I like to do a full scan on all tables periodically - which may be monthly, or quarterly, depending on the time it takes and how much idle time the system has. I use a modulo division on the tables object_id over whatever period to make the determination. There are exceptions....

MS POS: Cash Drawer keeps opening
The cash drawer continues to open even though the Payment Type is set to "Not open cash drawer". Any thoughts would be appreciated. It sounds like you are using an EPSON printer with the Windows driver and a receipt that has the cashdrawer kick code built in or you have the properties of the printer set to pop the cash drawer on every print. If this is correct then the property in the Tender Types does not do anything as that is for use with OPOS. You will need a receipt custom made that only pops on certain tenders. Somebody may have already developed a solution for your si...

Account Balance Zero for Investment Accounts
I did not have any trouble adding regular checking/savings account, however for all investment accounts even when it shows it's linked to the website and updated, the balance still shows zero. What steps have I missed. In microsoft.public.money, Nanna wrote: >I did not have any trouble adding regular checking/savings account, however >for all investment accounts even when it shows it's linked to the website and >updated, the balance still shows zero. What steps have I missed. Do you have cash in the account, or do you have only securities? Does the "Adj.Balance&...

MS CRM for Investment Industry
Hi: Do you know of any add-on out there that allows the integration of Money Market Directory (MMD) and Nelson's data into Microsoft CRM? Thanks! Sal ...

Urgent: Transaction log is full
Hello, We are using Small Business Manager 7.5 with Sql Server 2000. When trying to post customer invoices today we received an error stating the transaction log is full and to backup log to free up log space. How can I do this? Thanks, Lael You didn't mention SQL Server, so I'll assume this is where your data is being stored... This is a somewhat delicate subject, as your database(s) need to be put on a maintenance plan to ensure this doesn't happen again. Below are some MS & non-MS links to help manage and hopefully remedy your situation. Note these, for the most par...

Credit Card Balances in Parentheses
This might be a dumb question, but what does it mean when my credit card balance in the register show up in Red and in parentheses? Then, when I look at the Account Listing, the same credit card "Adj. Balance" shows in Black and without the parens. I'm confused. Can someone please explain this for me. Thanks! In microsoft.public.money, bver911 wrote: >This might be a dumb question, but what does it mean when my credit card >balance in the register show up in Red and in parentheses? It means you have a credit balance. If you don't actually have a credit bala...

Bank Reconciliation and GL Transactions?
I can't figure out a way to have a transaction that is not posted through Transactions | Financial | Bank Transactions show up in the actual bank reconciliation? The reason we would want to do this is we have several repetitive and lengthy transactions where using a quick journal template would be effective, but the transaction won't then show up in bank reconciliation. Any thoughts? Thanks! You have to go through bank transactions to get the info into the checkbook and thus the bank rec. Possible solutions: Use quick journal but offset the cash part to clearance account...

Running balance in credit card register
Balance is fine when I view "all transactions" but when I switch to "unreconciled view" the balance is way off (I do this to balance my account). Any ideas? The balance it shows on the top is 1000 over my limit, and I am not even close to it. Anybody have any idea??? phredgomez@yahoo.com (Fred G.) wrote in message news:<c3762d54.0311210932.33f73370@posting.google.com>... > Balance is fine when I view "all transactions" but when I switch to > "unreconciled view" the balance is way off (I do this to balance my > account). Any ideas? The ba...

Bank transaction done as a check
It would be helpful if there could be an inquiry like the AP module for bank transaction checks to show history against a vendor id. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default...