Can't transfer money data file between computers

I've tried, but failed, to transfer my money data file from my old computer
to my new computer (old is ME, new is XP).  No matter what I do I keep
getting an error message "Money cannot locate [my file location and file
name] or cannot open it."  I've tried to make a backup copy from my old
computer, and open this with the "restore backup" feature, but got the above
message.  Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?  Thanks
0
Mark047 (3)
1/1/2005 10:09:01 PM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

In microsoft.public.money, Mark047 wrote:

>I've tried, but failed, to transfer my money data file from my old computer
>to my new computer (old is ME, new is XP).  No matter what I do I keep
>getting an error message "Money cannot locate [my file location and file
>name] or cannot open it."  I've tried to make a backup copy from my old
>computer, and open this with the "restore backup" feature, but got the above
>message.  Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Try restoring to a place you Browse to rather than taking the
default location in the new machine. A good place would be in your
'My Documents" folder.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
1/1/2005 10:32:30 PM
Mark047 wrote:
> I've tried, but failed, to transfer my money data file from my old
computer
> to my new computer (old is ME, new is XP).  No matter what I do I
keep
> getting an error message "Money cannot locate [my file location and
file
> name] or cannot open it."  I've tried to make a backup copy from my
old
> computer, and open this with the "restore backup" feature, but got
the above
> message.  Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?  Thanks

I had the same problem recently.  Problem appears to have been because
I instlled Money 2005 directly from the CD, but the MyMoney.mny file
was last updated by a updated version of Money 2005 which had converted
the file to a new format.  I just created a dummy file with the new
installation and then let it update itself.  Then it had no problem
with the correct file.

Thanks, I think this may be the issue.  I will try this and see if this fixes
the problem!

"mrbill" wrote:

> Mark047 wrote:
> > I've tried, but failed, to transfer my money data file from my old
> computer
> > to my new computer (old is ME, new is XP).  No matter what I do I
> keep
> > getting an error message "Money cannot locate [my file location and
> file
> > name] or cannot open it."  I've tried to make a backup copy from my
> old
> > computer, and open this with the "restore backup" feature, but got
> the above
> > message.  Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?  Thanks
>
> I had the same problem recently.  Problem appears to have been because
> I instlled Money 2005 directly from the CD, but the MyMoney.mny file
> was last updated by a updated version of Money 2005 which had converted
> the file to a new format.  I just created a dummy file with the new
> installation and then let it update itself.  Then it had no problem
> with the correct file.

0
Mark047 (3)

exporting/linking data from a row on one sheet into another sheet
I have a master sheet with all the sales information that my company tracks. I would like to create seperate sheets for each sales rep. I have all their initials listed under one column. Can I take each row and put the information onto another sheet based on what I put into the initials colum? exporting/linking data from a row on one sheet into another sheet Hi Clark see responses in Excel.worksheet.functions NG Frank Clark Haddock wrote: > I have a master sheet with all the sales information that > my company tracks. I would like to create seperate > sheets for each sa...

A question about PCM wave file.
Hi all. I have a 8bits PCM wave file and I want to convert it to 16Bits PCM wave file. I use the following formula 16Bits_sample = (8Bits_sample - 128)<<8. Affter converting there is some noise in 16Bits PCM wave file. Is my formula is correct? and Does anybody have another method to reduce the noise? Please help me. Thanks and best regard. You shouldn't need to do the subtraction. char samp8; short samp16; .... samp16 = (short)samp8 << 8; .... "Binh Nguyen Van" wrote: > Hi all. > > I have a 8bits PCM wave file and I want to convert it to 16Bits P...

Write Hex to Output File in MFC
Hi All: I need to generate a file using MFC which is Unicoded. In other words, I need to have a file that has '16-bit hex coding' showing in the file when I open it thru notepad Problem: Even though I store the string in 16-bit format, when I write it into the file, it still displays it as ascii. I need to see '16-bit Hex' instead of the ascii. I am using the following code. The output in the file is "hello". Instead, I want to see "0x0048 0x0065 0x006C 0x006C 0x006F". I am using the following code. wchar_t rashid2[] =_T(L"Hello"); HAND...

problem with ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add for text file
I am using ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add in Excel 2003 to import space-delimited text into a worksheet. The import works, but when I re-execute the macro with ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add to import new data into the same sheet, all references to that sheet get shifted (i.e., what was a reference to cell B1 of the sheet with the imported data becomes a reference to cell C1. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks ...

Missing file
I'm getting an error message telling me I'm missing C:\Windows\system 32\mshtml.hlp. How can I get a copy of the file? The message appears whenever I try to save a picture from a newsgroup. Jeff -- "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." Richard Feynman Nobel Prize Physicist IE version? Jeff Stanton wrote: > I'm getting an error message telling me I'm missing C:\Windows\system > 32\mshtml.hlp. How can I get a copy of the file? The message appears > whenever I try to save a picture from a newsgrou...

Money 2004 error
Due to other problems I reinstalled Money 2004. Now I can't open it. I'm getting the error message "Unable to load the Registration library(DLL). I have no idea how to get around it. Any help would be greatly appreciated In microsoft.public.money, Rod Sanders wrote: >Due to other problems I reinstalled Money 2004. Now I >can't open it. I'm getting the error message "Unable to >load the Registration library(DLL). I have no idea how to >get around it. Any help would be greatly appreciated See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb...

Missing Help in Money Plus Deluxe
Hello: I tried accessing Money Help, or F1, and I get a blank pane, no text. How do I restore help? I have searched Money Solution Center, but no assistance there. Thanks. JDyer ...

Hide Classifications in Money 2007?
Hi, I was wondering if it is possible to hide the classification line in the advanced register of Money 2007. In earlier versions, if no classes were defined, the line would not show. Thanks, --Mark In all versions I've used (that's every one since Mv2) classification shows if classification1 is defined. Somehow I'm suspecting your classification1 got defined. Account List | Categories & Payees . Click on the first classification. If it doesn't ask you to define it, there will be a choice for Delete classification. That's where you'd want to go. "...

Excel 97-remove link but keep data
Hi guys, I have a pre-existing excel 97 s/s which has links to other s/s's. I would like to keep the data only (like paste-special, values) and remove the linked reference from showing in the current s/s. Any ideas how to do this instead of me changing each linked reference? Thanks in advance! search for .xls or [ or ] to see if you can find the formulas that contain links to other workbooks. Van wrote: > > Hi guys, > > I have a pre-existing excel 97 s/s which has links to other s/s's. I would > like to keep the data only (like paste-special, values) and rem...

Excel file takes a long time to save
I have a 1,000 x 15 straight worksheet with no formulas - about 100K. I went to auto-format a pattern, but didn't select the area and if formatted the entire spreadsheet. It's since gone from 5 seconds to 60 seconds per save and I can't reverse this, even by changing the auto-format setting to "none." I'm backed-up, but the current version is about three hours ahead and it will take longer to retrace the work by hand. Any suggestions? Thanks, Ben Try resetting the last used cell. Debra Dalgleish has some techniques at: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Un...

Autocomplete File Editor for NK2 file
Whew, At first I started writing to each person with a problem about this utility that I found to open and edit the NK2 file. I didn't know there would be so many so I thought I'd post this. The utility is called Owtlook File Editor It can be found at www.dcs-imaging.com/products.htm Good luck ...

MS Money small business for Canada #2
Hi, I would like to purchase MS Money small business to handle my company accountings. I am located in Canada and was wondering how flexible this product is to be customized for Canadian Tax system and payroll rules. Regards, Alex In microsoft.public.money, Alex wrote: > > >I would like to purchase MS Money small business to handle my company >accountings. I am located in Canada and was wondering how flexible this >product is to be customized for Canadian Tax system and payroll rules. The last such product was Money 2000. Today only Standard is available for Canada. Th...

Updating several XP-computers
Hi! I have 4 PCs in my LAN and they are running under Windows XP (2 time PRO, 1 time Media Center, 1 time Home). I have a slow Internet connection with just 5 GB volume per months, so when I have to update all my PCs, it takes a lot of time and consumes my download volume. I would like to download all windows patches and updates just one time, store them in a file-server or NAS-server and then apply them to all my 4 PCs. Is there anyway to do that? Thank you very much for your help. gianni wrote: > I have 4 PCs in my LAN and they are running under Windows XP (2 tim...

Using Excel 2000 as Data source for Word 2000 document
Problem using Mail Merge using Word 2000 & Excel 2000. After numerous problems - Word failed to connect to Data Souce file then it would & then it wouldn't and so on - reasons which are unknown! The 106 records in 19 fields from the Excel Data Source are only transferring the information for the first 104 records. I am looking to add further records but obviously need to overcome this problem. Hi Malcolm- Obvious, perhaps, but are you certain that the records are in consecutive rows & no vacant columns separating the fields of data? Does the data range contain any Merge...

save only filtered results to csv/txt file
Excel 2000, Win98SE. I need to filter an xls file and then save only what is shown to a csv/txt file. The master xls file has new data added in a single import each day. Then I will have to filter the file 2 or 3 ways and save the filtered results to seperate csv/txt files, so I need to streamline the process. Also is there a means, comparable to scenarios, that I can use to set up different filtering combinations and then easily switch between them? Suggestions welcome. Thanks. -- Igor Igor You should be able to copy and paste the data to a new workbook and save that. Alternative...

Budget error in Money 2002
I am experiencing a budget error in Money 2002 for which I can find no Knowledge Base article. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I have two annual expenses of $8.50 each for dog licensing. Money somehow absurdly calculates this to be a $9.21 monthly expense, which makes the budget feature, naturally, useless. There is no way to work around it that I can see. Any suggestions? Many thanks, Christa Selig ...

From Quicken to Money, need some insight
I am a new Money 2004 user after using Quicken for 10 years. I have noticed the monthly bills I have assigned dollar amounts to show up in the Budget planner. Underneath these routine bills, another budget entry is there entitled "other expenses for . . . ." If I leave the "other expenses for {whatever monthly bill I have setup} blank, it shows up during the review of the budget with no amount budgeted for that catergory. Even though I have a dollar amount setup for the monthly bill. However, if I enter the same dollar amount as the monthly bill, it than shows a subto...

How to group all data from 1 column into several columns (Redo)
I have 2 columns in my spreadsheet, Company Names and Event. The Event column values are Event 1, Event 2, Event 3, Event 4 and the company names repeat for each of the events that they attended. So sometimes I might have a company listed 4 times with each Event corresponding to it in the next column. How can I consolidate all of the company names so that there is 1 row for each company and all events are on the same row but in different columns marked with an x (the column labels will be Company name, Event 1, Event 2, Event 3, Event 4). This is what I have... Company Name...

Excell2003 (SP-1) File > Save and File > Save As.. grayed out
Got a user who has Excell2003 and cannot File > Save or File > Save As... He can, however, ctrl-s to save spreadsheets. Any ideas? I"m clueless. JM ...

Many to Many Data Entry
Hi all, This is a doozy of a problem, using a form to join many to many fields, so thanks if you're up for checking it out! I have two tables that are linked with a many to many relationship using a third table. TblZones (with fields ZoneNo(primary key, autonumber), ZoneMo, Zone Description, CustNo, SiteNo, etc) TblDevices (with fields DeviceNo (primary key, autonumber), DeviceType, Location, CustNo, SiteNo, etc) TblDeviceZoning (With fields ID (primary key, autonumber), DeviceNo, and ZoneNo) A device may only be assigned to a zone that shares the same customer number...

Data sheet populating into multiple sheets
I'm looking to build a spreadsheet with one main page that can be populated with data and automatically pull that data over to other more specific sheets. For example, If I have sales on the main sheet and have check boxes for more specific sales on the same sheet (i.e. liquor sales, food sales etc..) I want that number to poulate on the specific sales sheet. I'm assumming I have to wite an IF/Then Statement to say if an "x" is put into a cell then copy and past the data in the specified cells within that row and pull that information over to sheet Y. One respon...

Microsoft File Password Recovery
Hi All A friend and I at work have a file that we cannot open because it was password protected and we can't remember the password. Is someone able to recommend some free file open password breaker software? Otherwise, could I send the file to someone to open the file? For clarity, it is not within the excel worksheet or workbook, it is a password to open the excel file! With thanks Nick well if it was a workbook/sheet password, i'd say www.straxx.com as it' a free password add-in, very effective too. but if it's not one o those passwords, what is it? external? v...

Multiple database files created
I have an Access 2007 database that resides on our company's server. The database tracks incoming and outgoing shipments and is used by several employees throughout the day. I've noticed that in the folder where the database resides several additional database files are created throughout the day with names like database.mdb, database1.mdb, database2.mdb, etc. Can anyone tell me why this is happening? The database was created with Access 2007 using the 2003 mdb file format, as most of the end users have Office 2003 applications. Ken Warthen kenwarthen@gmail.com 1. Turn off...

Overlay 4 years of data as a line on 4 years of columns for several x category labels
Dear Charting aficianados, The tutorial at http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ClusterColAndLine.html is the closest example I can find to a charting conundrum I am facing, though what I am hoping to achieve is still a little different. I've made a mock up of what I'm hoping to achieve - though I have had to use drawing objects for the line series, to overlay on the columns - I'm sure there is a way to get excel to do this - do you think there is? (sheet named mock-up) A workbook with mocuk-up and my other charting attmempts can be found: http://www.savefile.com/files/2690840 T...

Public Folder File sizes
Hi We have a system whereby files from our students are routed to a public folder, so that everyone in the office can see them. However some of our more unenlightened students seem to be trying to send in emails with 9Mb attachments. (AGHHHH) The odd thing is that if they send them to a persobal mailbox, they seem to get thropugh, but if theu send them to a public folder, Exchange cant handle them, or at least we can see them being received, but then they are not delivered to the public folder. Is there something i need to do to get round this please? Thanks A Do you have Maximu...